• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

54-46!

rvy said:
I love you.

Btw, any tips for Unknown? I get that I'm supposed to stop him from regenerating... rebuilding, whatever, but I don't know how. I run out of shotgun ammo half-way through. Do I chase him down using AR?
Who is Unknown again? that T-1000 dude?
just let him run at you with his sword and just when he's about to hit you there will be a QTE for a split second.

rvy

Banned
54-46! said:
Who is Unknown again? that T-1000 dude?
just let him run at you with his sword and just when he's about to hit you there will be a QTE for a split second.
Alright, I'll try that out.

Also,

ignwtfpcvh.jpg

http://www.ign.com/top-ps2-games/100

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Challenge 6...man, it's terrible. I think I got the hang of the first two waves, but loosing your concentration for even one split second can still mean your death. It's bad. :I

rvy

Banned
Curufinwe said:
IGN saying God Hand is the 100th best PS2 game of all time repudiates their original (terrible) review. Good for them.
It really doesn't. Too late for damage control.

Now that midterms are over I had time to finish the game.

Final Results:

Space Score: 9240
Total Score: 232490
Time: 5:20
Cover: 9.14%
Deaths: 49
KIA: 428
Wounded: 21
Kills: 1058
Pangloss: 8
Developers Destroyed: 72

Now time to do the challenges. After this weekend I have a 16 page paper to write but Thursday, a math test weds, and a health test Monday. Today is my only day to actually enjoy games.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
that plaza part is fuckin retarded, seriously, God Mode makes me hate the damage/suit system even more. The game renders you useless when damaged, and a bullet is always hitting you at any point. I barely get to do any sliding or slow mo unless im fighting one of the giants.

the game is not as fun on god mode, feels like a chore too many times

leng jai

~Devil Trigger~ said:
that plaza part is fuckin retarded, seriously, God Mode makes me hate the damage/suit system even more. The game renders you useless when damaged, and a bullet is always hitting you at any point. I barely get to do any sliding or slow mo unless im fighting one of the giants.

the game is not as fun on god mode, feels like a chore too many times

Thats why its called God Hard mode I'd imagine. Its not supposed to be fun per se, more like an extra mode for the hardest of the hardcore. Normal people would just play hard.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
well, to be fair, Infinite Climax mode in Bayonetta was the bomb when you got the systems down pat.

I think dealing with difficulty and bullets can be a bit of a chore for most people.

leng jai

Rez said:
well, to be fair, Infinite Climax mode in Bayonetta was the bomb when you got the systems down pat.

I think dealing with difficulty and bullets can be a bit of a chore for most people.

I think the problem is that in Bayonetta it is plausible to dodge everything because its mainly melee based with some slow projectiles thrown in.

Beezy

Rez said:

But infinite climax didn't make the game harder than hard mode. It just got rid of witch time. I ran through it and got the beat the game under 3 hours achievement during that playthrough.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Curufinwe said:
Surely not being able to slow down time makes the game harder, though?

Surely that was their intention and, yes, I for one thought it was more difficult. Also, why would I want to play Bayonetta without one of its key mechanics?

Beezy

Curufinwe said:
Surely not being able to slow down time makes the game harder, though?
Hardly, especially if you previously learned how to use the counter item properly. IC isn't even in the same league of difficulty as God Hard.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Surely that was their intention and, yes, I for one thought it was more difficult. Also, why would I want to play Bayonetta without one of its key mechanics?
Because it's fun and much faster paced? Playing with witch time is like riding a bike with training wheels. You don't need it once you learn everything else.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I think PG should release a timer update that counts every single second you spend in-game just to shut some of the reviewers.

slaughterking said:
Challenge 6 makes me angry. I think I'll take a break from the game now. :lol

How far are you getting? I made it to Wave 4 and nearly had the MIAs alone. Seems like wave 4 is just all about dashing away and making space vis-a-vis the enemy.

I made it to wave 3, which seems a bit easier than the second wave, but I think I can't handle the pressure from coming so far and I'm just screwing up. I would probably get a mental breakdown when I come to wave 5. I can't let that happen. :lol

slaughterking said:
I made it to wave 3, which seems a bit easier than the second wave, but I think I can't handle the pressure from coming so far and I'm just screwing up. I would probably get a mental breakdown when I come to wave 5. I can't let that happen. :lol

Wave 3 is more stable than wave 2 for me. All you have to do is grenade the RIs that port in at the beginning (middle), activate slow-down to blow up the flame guy, then blow the faces off of the drill romanovs.

The problem with wave 4 is that everything seems to start at the same time, there are no spawns you can really attack in advance which sucks.

adversesolutions said:
Wave 3 is more stable than wave 2 for me. All you have to do is grenade the RIs that port in at the beginning (middle), activate slow-down to blow up the flame guy, then blow the faces off of the drill romanovs.

The problem with wave 4 is that everything seems to start at the same time, there are no spawns you can really attack in advance which sucks.
Yeah well, I haven't seen wave 4 yet so I can't comment on that, but I think the first 3 waves are pretty manageable on their own -- I just don't have the consistency to beat them often enough to even imagine beating all 5 waves in one go. That's very much hindering my motivation right now.

Just figured something out.

I believe Challenge 6 Wave 3 has a special trick to it...If you lure the Fire Romanov over to the left side of the screen, you can probably take out the two drill and one missile romanovs in one shot since you can blow up the Fire Romanov. I've only been able to take out one other guy with this, but it seems if you wait long enough you can make it happen. Might be best to get in melee distance for the Fire Romanov so he starts charging at you to speed it up.

Ok guys, for some reason, something isn't clicking with me for this game. Not sure exactly... but tell me some tips or ways to approach combat in this to make it a but more ejoyable or at least for me to give it a bit more of a chance. I only just got past the demo part.

I want to give it more a chance, just tell me it gets fucking awesome, etc!

rvy

Banned
slasher_thrasher21 said:
Ok guys, for some reason, something isn't clicking with me for this game. Not sure exactly... but tell me some tips or ways to approach combat in this to make it a but more ejoyable or at least for me to give it a bit more of a chance. I only just got past the demo part.

It's fucking awesome from start to finish, you're the problem.

Nemesis_

slasher_thrasher21 said:

You are the problem.

Don't be conservative at all with your actions. That's the most enjoyable thing about it. Utilise both cover, boost, and AR modes. >_>

Nemesis556 said:
You are the problem.

Don't be conservative at all with your actions. That's the most enjoyable thing about it. Utilise both cover, boost, and AR modes. >_>

Well AR mode is only activated when you slide and fire right, or did I missed something? and guys, enough with the "I'm the problem." I'm not attacking the game.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Well AR mode is only activated when you slide and fire right, or did I missed something? and guys, enough with the "I'm the problem." I'm not attacking the game.
Well, you should at least play the tutorial. :p

Holding the aim button will activate AR in many different situations like after evading, jumping over your cover, a jump kick or while sliding.

slaughterking said:
Well, you should at least play the tutorial. :p

Holding the aim button will activate AR in many different situations like after evading, jumping over your cover, a jump kick or while sliding.

I did play the tutorial but I had to put it down for a few days after that. Ok I'll run through that again since I obviously forgot some stuff.

Then I'll give it a go again!:D

Phenomic

Just finished it, too short but amazing game overall.

Took a little longer then some 7.5 hours. Didn't think that last thing in the ending was how that would have gone down.

Rocca

adversesolutions said:
Just figured something out.

I believe Challenge 6 Wave 3 has a special trick to it...If you lure the Fire Romanov over to the left side of the screen, you can probably take out the two drill and one missile romanovs in one shot since you can blow up the Fire Romanov. I've only been able to take out one other guy with this, but it seems if you wait long enough you can make it happen. Might be best to get in melee distance for the Fire Romanov so he starts charging at you to speed it up.

You know the best tactic for Wave 3's Romanovs is to equip the Disk Launcher and cut off their heads with a shot each. With their heads cut off, they all go into a ridiculous frenzy shooting off friendlies at a ridiculous rate (but they can still harm you, so be careful). If you're afraid of the Drill Romanov's potentially destroying most of your cover for latter rounds, just focus on waiting for their backs to be open and launch heavy ammo into its weak red spots with the HMG.

The best part is that if you'd rather wait it out, they all die when beheaded after roughly a minute to a minute and a half.

I'm always getting to Wave 5 and either cracking down due to how this game increases your heart rate like a mother or just running out of cover and making a stupid mistake.

*Heavy sigh* Ahhhhh, still love the game, though.

Rocca said:
I'm always getting to Wave 5 and either cracking down due to how this game increases your heart rate like a mother or just running out of cover and making a stupid mistake.

Do you have a really solid strategy for Wave 4 then?

All I have is: LFE ball robots, toss an EMP, blast a few ninjas if possible then dash to the other side of the map to take out both flying turrets.

Thinking that if I shoot a grenade over the ninjas, I could take them out quicker, but don't have any way to kill the BIAs quicker.

Got to the two bogies in 6-5...was surviving pretty well until I got caught between their attacks. Biggest problem was missing here with the rocket launcher like 4 times...:(

Still struggling on 6-4, but I've got better patterns now so I can make it to 6-4 with 2 EMPs left, use both during 6-4 and get to 6-5 with 3 EMPs, two rocket launchers and a lock-on laser. I can kill the balls at the start of 6-5, but surviving afterwards is a problem.

One big issue is that if you leave the Romanovs in 6-3 and the Scorpions in 6-4 alive too long, they will wreck all the cover you have, making 6-5 basically impossible. So it's important to take them out asap.

I've gotten to the point where if I have all the balls gone and good cover, I definitely should be able to take out one bogey just with my lock-on laser. Everything so far works...in theory. :lol

Llyranor

Finished Act 4.

MAN, what a game.

Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish

I love Vanquish.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Llyranor said:
Finished Act 4.

MAN, what a game.

Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish

I love Vanquish.
but do you like It?

Fuck. Got rid of one bogey on 6-5 but then tried to rocket launcher my way to victory. FUCKED UP. 1/3 life on the last bogey but ran out of ammo and got cornered. Shouldn't have picked up that fucking rocket launcher. HMG would have won it for me.......alskdjflkasdjglkj

Top Bottom