• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

Don't worry, I'm sure the game will end up as a sequel-less orphan in many bargain bins by the time Xmas is over. It's the fate of all hardcore games.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm halfway through chapter two. It takes a little while to click, but goddamn it's a blast when it does. I love that it cuts out all the crap, no in-game story stuff or vehicle sections, just straight to the point - incredibly awesome and hectic action. The combat is so damn good, I don't even care when I die because it gives me a chance to play that segment again.

The only problem is that I'm pretty sure it almost gave me a seizure last night. To be fair, I was a little stoned and I probably hadn't blinked for two minutes, but I'm afraid that I might end up passing out or something during one of the more crazy fights.

good stuff, though

Korigama

CaptYamato said:
Why you laughing?

That's simply the reaction of someone who assumes that a pistol must obviously be weak, based on how other shooters tend to work: Vanquish, however, is most certainly not "other shooters". I'm sure he'll see.

It does not seem that hard when you see him play. Haven't tried this mode though, just finished it yesterday night for the 1st time, on Hard mode. Last fight was great and demanding!

d0c_zaius

I'm wondering if anyone has advice for the "kill 10 enemies distracted by cigarettes" and "kill 4 enemies at the same time with a lock on laser" trophies.

Normally I would only get trophies through normal gameplay, but Vanquish is my GOTY so I'll be platinum'n it.

d0c_zaius

adversesolutions said:

Pun not intended.

On a side note, I was doing my no deaths playthrough (on chapter 4) and stepped away from my system. When I came back there was a child playing and he had gotten 1 death, and passed a checkpoint saving it:lol :lol

Amir0x

Banned
Amir0x said:
man. what an amazing control scheme this game has. it's so perfect. Even though this game is going to do so poorly that it's gonna rip a hole into the fabric of reality, changing time/space so that we suddenly live in a world where NPD lets everyone have all their numbers again just in time to show that VANQUISH sold 23,000 units, i really hope some other game reconstitutes this whole basic third person action shooter control scheme/concept. I don't want to imagine a world where I never experience such perfect action controls

sometimes I HATE being right :(

Unicorn

Amir0x said:
sometimes I HATE being right :(
Wow 23,000? For shame.

I wonder if they'll pump out some DLC?

Btw gun pack DLC is on psn AND live marketplace. $2 at both venues. Gotta beat campaign once before I try them out.

Carnby

d0c_zaius said:
I'm wondering if anyone has advice for the "kill 10 enemies distracted by cigarettes" and "kill 4 enemies at the same time with a lock on laser" trophies.

Normally I would only get trophies through normal gameplay, but Vanquish is my GOTY so I'll be platinum'n it.

lock on laser guns can lock on up to 4 enemies at the same time.

d0c_zaius

jaekwon15 said:
lock on laser guns can lock on up to 4 enemies at the same time.

Yea I know that but usually they die at different times, or a friendly will kill them, etc.

I've tried getting 4 "headshot" lock-ons with no success. But I guess I'll try it on a later stage where there aren't friendlies getting in the way of my trophy whoring :D .

Shearie

I got this game through my Gamefly account last week thinking that I was going to beat it real quick and return it within a week since I heard it's so short and I felt pretty indifferent towards the first demo. About halfway through the campaign however, the game completely clicked with me and I think I'm gonna buy it since I can't get myself to let go of it. This is probably the best pure action game I've played in a long while and it's sad that it sold like shit.

d0c_zaius said:
Yea I know that but usually they die at different times, or a friendly will kill them, etc.

I've tried getting 4 "headshot" lock-ons with no success. But I guess I'll try it on a later stage where there aren't friendlies getting in the way of my trophy whoring :D .
You need the lock on laser leveled up.

CaptYamato said:
You need the lock on laser leveled up.

Leveling it makes it easier, but it doesn't have to be. I got mine on Act 2-1 via mission select with a default lock-on laser. I slid under the truck and got behind those 4 wall robots (forger their name) and weakened them each down to about 1/4 health, then killed the rest of the robots. Then I used the lock-on laser to finish of them off for the achievement. It took a few restarts to get the laser and such but it was pretty easy. It works well since your teammates can't kill the wall robots from where they are.

Does anyone here know how the score system works? How do you get really big points? I can't find an explanation!

I know on Casual if you do a chapter quickly and on Hard you don’t die you get big points. What else am I missing?

Unicorn

As you play you can see how and what you earn points from on the right side of the screen.

At the end you see if you get a time bonus, and death point reductions.

Tricky I Shadow said:
Does anyone here know how the score system works? How do you get really big points? I can't find an explanation!
You typically get the most points by completing each act as fast as possible for the maximum 5000 point bonus. Each act has a different time limit. Skip any unnecessary fights by using cigarettes, EMP grenades, and boost canceling to get the time bonus. If a fight is mandatory, complete it quickly by getting up close with the shotgun or HMG. If you die, return to title and reload your game so you avoid the 1000 point penalty.

Amir0x

Banned
Yurt said:
Guys it didn't sell 23k units, reread Amirox post.:lol

It actually sold "significantly" under 50k, which is the best number we have. I think I'm probably being generous with 23k. The pivotal point is that it didn't just bomb, it was a massacre :lol

Makes me so sad =(

Finished it last night and indeed my favorite shooter this gen. Sure it's light on content, but it does what it does like no other.
Final clock time on first playthrough was 5 hours. I feel I was at an advantage as I played the Challenge Room demo over and over again, so main game encounters weren't really challenging lol.

Love everything about Vanquish though, from the attitude, the characters, the lovable dialog, etc.

LOVE LOVE LOOOOOOVE!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Amir0x said:
It actually sold "significantly" under 50k, which is the best number we have. I think I'm probably being generous with 23k. The pivotal point is that it didn't just bomb, it was a massacre :lol

Oh man the game deserves much more than this.

I honestly don't know how Mikami manages to make such fucking amazing games. He's like one of the only Japanese developers ever to jump headfirst into TPS, and yet with RE4 and Vanquish he's made two of the most perfect games to grace the genre. And after this he probably won't ever make another third-person shooter, ever :(

badcrumble said:
I honestly don't know how Mikami manages to make such fucking amazing games. He's like one of the only Japanese developers ever to jump headfirst into TPS, and yet with RE4 and Vanquish he's made two of the most perfect games to grace the genre. And after this he probably won't ever make another third-person shooter, ever :(

He said next game is his last in a director's position.

After that he's just management and advisement, I think.

Empty

i see the tri-weapon pack went up on euro PSN for sale. i didn't pre-order, so is it worth a buy for someone like me who really really loves the game or were they just throwaways kops to retailer demands.

Alucrid

Banned
Amir0x said:

Wow. :\

badcrumble said:
I know! And I'm saying it probably won't be a TPS!

Well he could still have a significant advisory role for a TPS.

Kinda like how Metroid Prime only turned out good because Miyamoto held Retro's leash during development.

Dyno

I'm on Act 5-3. I've been just savoring these levels because they are so damn good. As far as gameplay is concerned? GOTY. Graphics and art are amazing as well. The polish is unbelievable.

You know what else? This game is all Japanese in the best way. The cheese is there but it's done so well and with such style that after a year of avoiding games like this I'm happy to see it again.

Those sales: Just what the fuck is happening to the world? How can such quality be ignored meanwhile a cheap and rushed looking COD is breaking records. Yeah, yeah, advertising. It still doesn't make sense to me.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Dyno said:
I'm on Act 5-3. I've been just savoring these levels because they are so damn good. As far as gameplay is concerned? GOTY. Graphics and art are amazing as well. The polish is unbelievable.

You know what else? This game is all Japanese in the best way. The cheese is there but it's done so well and with such style that after a year of avoiding games like this I'm happy to see it again.

Those sales: Just what the fuck is happening to the world? How can such quality be ignored meanwhile a cheap and rushed looking COD is breaking records. Yeah, yeah, advertising. It still doesn't make sense to me.

Then you don't understand the impact of advertising.

That and you might have been uninformed of the popularity of Call of Duty.

Dever

Banned
astroturfing said:
challenges 1,2,3 and 5 done. 4 is brutal. help me or i will lose my mind.

Make sure to pick up the rocket launcher before you enter Round 5(It's right next to the gate).

Top Bottom