• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

Thunderbear said:
Late to the party, finished it yesterday. Fun game but I can completely understand the reviewers that didn't give it a 9+ score. The battles were interrupted way too frequently in the first section of the game and really even though it got better I think it still got interrupted too much towards the end.

The normal difficulty didn't really ease you into it and the first fight with the russian robot guy was just frustrating on normal, and I usually never have a problem with games on normal or hard (especially in the early parts of the game).
Skip the cutscenes, problem solved.
The game on normal is only 'frustrating' if you fell asleep at the tutorial. There is an easier difficulty mode that is more appropriate for your skill level. You cannot fault the game for its normal mode not being exactly what you think your skill level is, which you apparently held in too high a regard.

Rolf NB

myself said:
Any good tips for the final battle on hard?

I'm going in with a rocket launcher, assault rifle and machine gun. I can get
one of the bogeys down to ~25% health with six rockets (three stock, three more after picking up the extra RL from the floor) relatively quickly, but I just can't avoid taking massive damage myself. I roll around all the time, do the slow-down roll to fire, let off before it overheats, then let it recharge. But something always hits me, my guy goes into the automatic slowdown mode, which culminates in overheating, and then certain death.

They move so damn fast.
I can't keep track of where the damage is coming from. Should I use cover? How should I use cover?

Should I bring different weapons?
Hello? :(

Thunderbear said:
Late to the party, finished it yesterday. Fun game but I can completely understand the reviewers that didn't give it a 9+ score. The battles were interrupted way too frequently in the first section of the game and really even though it got better I think it still got interrupted too much towards the end.

The normal difficulty didn't really ease you into it and the first fight with the russian robot guy was just frustrating on normal, and I usually never have a problem with games on normal or hard (especially in the early parts of the game).

Plenty of things to love though and would like to see an improved sequel. The mechanics were awesome, I loved the pace and most of the weapons. Grenade toss could have used an indicator IMO but really great overall. Beautiful game, architecture was fantastic. It was a bit short but there was so much content that you went through so fast so I don't mind.

Bottom line for me, the stop and go was the most annoying thing about the game.
agreed on all points. especially about the relative shortness of battles/frequency of interruptions. i was waiting for the game to let go of the rails and let me have fun with the mechanics, but it felt like every time i was just getting into a fight, it was over/interrupted by a cutscene.

also, did i miss something after
the fight with burns? why are he and sam suddenly buddies again? its bad enough that the only real difficulty of the fight comes from him taking assloads of damage, but i really struggled with that encounter and after its over i don't even get the opportunity to kill him myself? wtf.

great credits sequence though.

Rolf NB said:

You're going to need to use cover, definitely, although I usually don't actually use the cover mechanic in that fight - I just get behind it unless it's too low. Of course you're going to have to move from cover to cover a lot. There's no way to just tell you how to survive, you'll have to work it out.

Try dropping EMP grenades while sliding (sliding will let you drop the grenade instead of throwing it) to stun the Bogeys quickly, but don't waste them. Use them when you need to hit one with a rocket or if you really need to get one away from you (but try not to get in that situation).

Also you should try and land boost melee attacks on them, especially if you go into the automatic slowmo from taking damage. Stuns them and does a load of damage.

mjemirzian said:
The game on normal is only 'frustrating' if you fell asleep at the tutorial. There is an easier difficulty mode that is more appropriate for your skill level. You cannot fault the game for its normal mode not being exactly what you think your skill level is, which you apparently held in too high a regard.

Game is great, no doubt. But pretty much all his points are valid.

And to be honest, I lol'ed at 'skip the cutscenes...' It's not the player's fault they break up the action. Are you seriously criticizing the player for watching them and not giving into an ADD fit? They're in the game, most people will watch him...I mean, that's the point, right?

CartridgeBlower said:
Game is great, no doubt. But pretty much all his points are valid.

And to be honest, I lol'ed at 'skip the cutscenes...' It's not the player's fault they break up the action. Are you seriously criticizing the player for watching them and not giving into an ADD fit? They're in the game, most people will watch him...I mean, that's the point, right?
You can skip them if you want. They are not mandatory. The action is only 'broken up' because he chose to watch them. Someone complaining about a difficulty mode while ignoring an easier setting that is more suited to their skill level is completely illogical.

mjemirzian said:
You can skip them if you want. They are not mandatory. The action is only 'broken up' because he chose to watch them. Someone complaining about a difficulty mode while ignoring an easier setting that is more suited to their skill level is completely illogical.

The difficulty argument is one thing. The 'duh, skip the cutscenes to make the game flow better stupid!' argument is another.

The player shouldn't be criticized for going along with what the game designers intended the experience to be.

Fugu

Rolf NB said:
I went in with the exact same loadout as you.

I did it by using the rocket launcher to take out as much health as possible, and then using the LMG for extra damage on the side. Whenever they get close, use an EMP grenade (just chuck it at the floor). Once you have them EMP'd once, engage slowdown and hit them until they start to leave EMP stun, and EMP them again. You can burn down a lot of health this way.

CartridgeBlower said:
The difficulty argument is one thing. The 'duh, skip the cutscenes to make the game flow better stupid!' argument is another.

The player shouldn't be criticized for going along with what the game designers intended the experience to be.
You can't speak directly for the developers intentions. It seems to me that the developers intended you to be able to either watch the cutscenes or skip them, since there's an option to do so built into the game. Therefore your experience can be either watching the cutscenes or not. Not enjoying the cutscenes but sitting through them anyway then complaining about them is illogical.

Rolf NB

Did it! The tip with the EMP grenades is gold, these things are super useful indeed! I don't think I've ever used a single grenade in the entire campaign. Silly me!

Now it's time to knock out a few optional trophies. I went to do the one for 2-3, and ended up playing straight to act 4 :lol
The game's so awesome. Hard to put it down.

MNC

Got through Act 1... WOW. AMAZING GAME. Not once did it become boring. I was in constant amazement of what the game was going to throw at me next! I love it I love it I love it! And I got the free Bayonetta copy, so I have that to play as well :D

SonComet

Great game, beat it last night. Played through on normal and it felt perfect. The only boss that gave me a little trouble was the one before the last. Died about 10 times on that. I wish that the game would sell enough to get a sequel with a bigger budget and better story. Too bad that probably won't happen :(.

yeah. I just looked up the leaderboards for the first level and; casual auto 11964, casual 17648, normal 54299, hard 17539, god hard 2163. so at least 55k copies going on there. but I guess I could safely add the 17k for probably both casual and hard to that aswell. god hard is duplicates of course, and I'll pretend casual auto people have tried playing on another difficulty aswell. well under 100k in total

Kaldea

I just started this game last night myself and I couldn't be happier with how much fun it is. I'm only half way into Act 2 and I can't wait to see what's next. :D

this gen. This will go as one of the great underrated games for this generation. Shame that poor marketing has doomed it. Hopefully we see a sequel in the future made by Mikami although I doubt it will happen due to sales.

I knew the travesty that was God Hand was only a blip in Mikami's resume.

Can't wait for his next game.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Phoenix Fang said:
this gen. This will go as one of the great underrated games for this generation. Shame that poor marketing has doomed it. Hopefully we see a sequel in the future made by Mikami although I doubt it will happen due to sales.

I'm feeling different kind of emotions reading this

This game is too damn short, and while it's very replayable, honestly I'm not going to be replaying it, just no time with my backlog. Unbelievably fun while it lasts, but I wanted more levels. No scenes are boring and it just felt like the mechanics could be taken further.

Phoenix Fang said:

I'm near the end (I think?) but I'm not really motivated to finish it.
It's a solid game, but I just don't think modern shooting games are for me.
Based on the GAF hype, I thought it would be good enough for me to enjoy despte not being a fan of the genre, but I was wrong.

also God Hand was awesome.

I had my doubts about the game when it was first shown and I think it had me eating crows. I completed it today and loved every minute of it.

B-Genius said:
And this was going so well.
Good bye now.

I know I've hated on God Hand quite a lot but my only issue with the game is the tank controls. If the control scheme wasn't a tank control scheme, I would love the game and enjoy. Bad controls really put me off for any game. I'd take bad graphics over horrible controls.

StuBurns

Banned
I bought God Hand because GAF demanded it, I only played about an hour, I didn't care for it. I really want to give PN03 another go though.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Phoenix Fang said:
I know I've hated on God Hand quite a lot but my only issue with the game is the tank controls. If the control scheme wasn't a tank control scheme, I would love the game and enjoy. Bad controls really put me off for any game. I'd take bad graphics over horrible controls.

Unlike some, I won't castigate you for not getting in to God Hand's controls. GH is perfect... at being GH. It's a 100% acquired taste, and the game wants you to play it as if it's the only combat game ever made. By its own rules. It's not supposed to control like Devil May Cry.

Some day, if you're feeling adventurous, try it again to get into its headspace. But you can't be blamed for a "WTF" reaction at how it is designed.

JohngPR

Just an FYI, I spotted this at Target on sale for $39.99. It was one of those temporary price drop dealios. Not sure if those vary from store to store or not.

Hesemonni

Banned
Played it on hard straight away and I guess I spent two nights to finish it. Awesome game and really left me wanting for a sequel.

Guess I do a run quickie on the easiest difficulty to get those few achievements I missed most notably the "don't die" achievement.

MNC

Damn. So as always, when I show people games I like, as I did with vanquish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suqXz_8Xazw

This is what I showed him. His response?

"Looks like the next metal gear solid

typical japanese arcade platform shooter (wat)

shadow of the colossus (THERE IS A SINGLE QTE FOR CLIMBING THE ROBOT)

lost planet 1 & 2 (WHICH IS THE ONLY THING MAKING SENSE BECAUSE OF THE THIRD PERSON SHOOTING)"

Le sigh. I guess things will never work out right.

HYDE

Banned
StuBurns said:
I bought God Hand because GAF demanded it, I only played about an hour, I didn't care for it. I really want to give PN03 another go though.

Please, please don't StuBurns, it really is awful (PN03).
And, God Hand is not what GAF says it is.
No, I am not employed by IGN, and yes I have beaten the game to completion on hard.
The game isn't anything as awesome as Bayonetta or Vanquish.
I felt like Mad World was comparable to God Hand, as well as No More Heroes 1 and 2.
Didn't care for any of those games.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
HYDE said:
No, I am not employed by IGN, and yes I have beaten the game to completion on hard.

Gotta agree. I gotta sit down and force myself through the last 10 or so "chapter"/areas left in the game to beat it and forget I ever did.

Clover died for a reason, guys.

PN03 wouldn't be bad if it wasn't repetitive and was more like it's concept. Cover based shooter with a panther, none of this "DATASS.jpg" tempo gameplay.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I bought God Hand because GAF demanded it, I only played about an hour

I felt the same way at first but gave it another chance, once you click with the combat ( watch videos on youtube ) you'll fucking love it. Creating your own set of moves and theorizing never gets old.

StuBurns

Banned
HYDE said:
That's my memory of it, but I didn't give it a fair shake I think. I probably won't bother though.

I read thru the Mikami feature on 1up earlier and even Mikami doesn't seem to care for it.

I ended up buying the PS3 version as well. I usually don't believe in 'supporting' developers, but Platinum are just so awesome, and I wanted the superior version in a lenticular sleeve to go with my 360 steelbook.

StuBurns

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
I ended up buying the PS3 version as well. I usually don't believe in 'supporting' developers, but Platinum are just so awesome, and I wanted the superior version in a lenticular sleeve to go with my 360 steelbook.
That's pretty cool of you, all I did was buy the DLC, if they put out any stupid charged themes I'll buy them I guess.

Korigama

TheSeks said:

Yes, and that reason was Capcom willing it due to dissatisfaction with profits (opinions on product quality had nothing to do with it). It's not like their development philosophy has changed since becoming Platinum, so by your logic, they're just as at risk now (arguably more so, given development expenses being higher). The only difference now is that they're at the mercy of the market as an independent studio, rather than a team that could get shut down by a publisher that expected sales without bothering with actual marketing.

Personal gripes about God Hand are irrelevant.

Alucrid

Banned
TheSeks said:
Gotta agree. I gotta sit down and force myself through the last 10 or so "chapter"/areas left in the game to beat it and forget I ever did.

PN03 wouldn't be bad if it wasn't repetitive and was more like it's concept. Cover based shooter with a panther, none of this "DATASS.jpg" tempo gameplay.

They made Okami. I don't care what else they did.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ok, I finally picked this up again after putting it down for other things. Just went through the end of Chapter 1 up to Chp 2 - 4.

I now see what you guys were saying about this. It's a fantastic game. Very tight controls, great move set, it just flows really well.

I do have a question though... how do you properly use the disc gun? Every time I shoot it, a disc flies out, ricochets off an enemy, then flies back towards me and explodes next to me on the ground.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
FlyinJ said:
Ok, I finally picked this up again after putting it down for other things. Just went through the end of Chapter 1 up to Chp 2 - 4.

I now see what you guys were saying about this. It's a fantastic game. Very tight controls, great move set, it just flows really well.

I do have a question though... how do you properly use the disc gun? Every time I shoot it, a disc flies out, ricochets off an enemy, then flies back towards me and explodes next to me on the ground.

Before leveling it, it's meant for taking appendages of Romanovs.

Snuggler said:
So I beat this last night. Only died like 38 times.

Excellent game.
I don't think I can go back to other 3rd person shooters now, this one has spoiled me a bit. It was quick but there was no filler bullshit so I'm ready to give it another go on hard.

A+

I tried to play Gears of War last night and I kept trying to boost with the LB button. I also kept trying to throw grenades with the Y button and tried to slow down time :/

I don't think I can play any other 3rd person shooter properly after playing this game.

mjemirzian said:

Disagree. The first boss battle comes way too soon and is quite tough on Normal and I've played a lot of games. I think that was a bad design decisioon, they should have had the boss a bit later. I still gave the game 9 though.

HYDE said:
The game isn't anything as awesome as Bayonetta or Vanquish.
I felt like Mad World was comparable to God Hand, as well as No More Heroes 1 and 2.
Didn't care for any of those games.
God Hand is loved by most of the hardcore.

Beat the game two days ago, feel like I should consolidate some of my thoughts.

I enjoyed the game a lot. It's probably the best playing game in its genre, and that's saying a lot when the competition is Gears and Uncharted. Mikami's team have crafted a sublime combat system that has all the trappings of a TPS, yet throws in a combo system which shakes the game up and makes it feel much more like an extreme sports title. The slow motion and boost functions of the ARS suit are gratifying, and all the campaign scoring, timing and achievements makes the game highly replayable. Not enough can be said really about how good this game feels - it's somewhere between Max Payne, (old) Tony Hawks and Gears of War if I was to classify it in such a way. I didn't really have any issues with length - I know it lasted only 5 hours, but it's to be expected really for a modern game. I played it for an hour per day for about a week, so it probably seemed longer to me I guess. It could really use a co-op mode though, if not a full blown multiplayer component - it was a real oversight not inducing one, as i'm sure they could re-use some maps from the single-player and get SEGA to host the servers.

As far as presentation went, the game excelled in a lot of areas. Outstanding graphics, if a little blurry at times because of the sub-HD resolution. Art design was great, if a little mixed. Sam's suit looked stunning, but the mechs were a little uninspired I felt (they were just Geth basically and some Bayonetta cast-offs). The environment draw distance is immense, allowing you to see the opposite end of the space station from where you stand, which was reminiscent of Halo or more recently the Citadel in Mass Effect - I really do love environments that curve in on themselves. Lighting was also first class thanks to the deferred rending. I really liked the way it refracted off a lot of the detailed rusty textures. In motion though, the game is really something else thanks to all of the exquisite post-processing effects during bullet time as well as the motion blur and depth-of-field. It's only 30fps, but I can't really fault it when it's looking almost as good as KZ2 at times on both consoles and feels so responsive. Dolby support on 360 was good, but I can't wait to get the PS3 version because the PCM mix in the demo sounded a lot crisper.

The story was okay at best. The cutscenes were phenomenal but more-so for their choreography than their content. The video quality was questionable on 360 thanks to some shit codec, which is also why i'm getting it on PS3. The whole
Burns betrayalathon, Russian collaboration with the President and switching of roles for the sake of a petty redemption sub-plot
got tiresome. I don't fully understand what everyone's motives were in the ending as a result, so a lot of it was lost on me outside of the pretty effects. What I do know is that it definitely needs a sequel to close up some of the open holes, which are gaping more than the cast of 'Doctor Anal is Splittin' That Shitter #4'.

8/10

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Phoenix Fang said:
Fair enough, the tank controls didn't click with a lot of folks.

I think for the majority of lovers, it was so much more than getting used to the controls and connecting with the combat. It had a charm that is still alive in PG's games to an extent, and a sense of humour that most games are devoid of.

I will always look at God Hand fondly because it takes me back to a simpler era of gaming, where you beat up guys and pick up fruit along to a crazy soundtrack. If there was ever a sequel, I think I would cry with happiness.

However, I can't stress enough how PG are filling that gap for now. I 100% agree with I NEED SCISSORS - don't usually feel it's worth 'supporting' a company, but I will do my small part (including buying a copy for a friend as well as having both versions for myself!) to keep PG alive and well.

Koralsky

From official SEGA's blog:

"Prize 3: VANQUISH DIGITAL MP4 PLAYER

A what you say? Well these were only and I mean ONLY given out to jounalists who attended the restricted access announcement of the game in Japan. Through my dark community magicks (aka a knee somewhere tender and then scarpering) I have managed to summon one of these to the UK. Will you be walking away with one?"

5241646611_1a93a126e2_b.jpg

Top Bottom