• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

Grisby

Just wanted to let everyone know I picked this up for $40 at Gamestop. Me and my buddy (who was the cashier) thought it was a mistake but it went through. Got home and looked at their website and sure enough, Vanquish is $40.

Gonna dig into it over the weekend, can't wait.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Picked up a PS3 today as well as Vanquish.

This game is fucking incredible. I love how its like a big 'fuck you' to all the third person stop-and-pop cover based shooters that spawned from what was established in Resident Evil 4.

EatChildren said:
Picked up a PS3 today as well as Vanquish.

This game is fucking incredible. I love how its like a big 'fuck you' to all the third person stop-and-pop cover based shooters that spawned from what was established in Resident Evil 4.

Been playing Gears2. It's legitamtely really good.

But yeah, NOTHING out there compares to Vanquish's core gameplay

Period

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm starting on playthrough 2 on Hard, with the new weapons, I have one complaint: no ammo for the new weapons! I'm not sure what the drop rate for them is, but I haven't had much luck finding pistol or boost rifle ammo. It's a bummer since I'd like to have them in place of the heavy rifle and shotty to keep it fresh.

oh well, game is still awesome

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I rate Vanquish as one of the best games I've played this year. I finished it on Hard on my first playthrough and the game seemed just the right length. I think it took me about 9hrs from memory of the stat screen but that excluded deaths/continues obviously, think realistically it was around just under 20hrs.

FrankT

Grabbed this for 360 last night(only $40 right at GS). Anyhow, high quality stuff so far. Just starting the tunnel sequence however and I'm thinking hmm where have I played this before haha.

can someone explain to me how I'm supposed to be using AR mode? I'm on the first major boss, which is the spider tank that transforms, and it keeps kicking my ass once it turns into the giant robot. I've got a good handle on the controls, but keep running out of heavy ammo. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, as I'm barely using AR. Anyone?

onken

Superblatt said:
can someone explain to me how I'm supposed to be using AR mode? I'm on the first major boss, which is the spider tank that transforms, and it keeps kicking my ass once it turns into the giant robot. I've got a good handle on the controls, but keep running out of heavy ammo. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, as I'm barely using AR. Anyone?

If you do a dodge-roll immediately followed by aim, you should go into AR mode. This lets you place your shots a lot more carefully so you should use less ammo. Don't forget there's ammo crates down both ends of the balcony, as well as two station guns.

Superblatt said:

Look at your radar. Everything, except the glowing red dots are weapons/ammo. The green triangles are ammo crates and the gray triangles are weapons on the field.

japtor

Superblatt said:
I was stuck on that one for way too long cause I was running out of ammo too...because I couldn't figure out where the path to the lower level was. So get down there if you haven't already (when facing the robot, the path is on the right side of the level).

Otherwise just make sure your shots count. The heavy assault rifle is too inaccurate to be used from a distance so only use that ammo when close up, stick with the machine gun until you can get close enough to use the assault rifle. edit-might have the gun names screwed up...just figure out which one is accurate and which one isn't and go from there.

I sucked with AR so I didn't use it much outside of getting shots in while boosting around to avoid his big shots. Zooming in with the aim button while while boosting helps too. Another thing I learned later is the dodge roll into aim for AR that onken mentioned above, much easier to get more accurate shots this way, just remember that you are completely stationary while doing this.

The other main thing is to keep an eye on the meters around your reticule when shooting and using AR. The bar on top is the enemy/part life, circular one on the right is AR, and bottom bar is your current weapon clip capacity. Basic thing with the top bar is that if it isn't doing anything, you're not hitting the target. Also once you destroy a part it should stop the robot from its attack, so if you're close to destroying a part you can take a chance and stay on it. AR is pretty simple, try not to run out, it'll recharge quicker if you don't overheat it. Instead of boosting you can often just spam dodge roll to get out of a bad situation. And make sure your weapon is loaded up before using AR, you don't want to waste part of the AR time just to reload*.

*Along with hitting the reload button constantly, you can also cancel the animation by switching to another gun and back to make it go quicker.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
just got this game for £19.98 pre owned at gamestation, played about an hour holy hell is it awesome, probably some kind of heresey on GAF to say this but I prefer it to Bayonetta, it's been a blast to play so far!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I love this game, but it made another "Disappointing" list. This time, from Game|Life =/

9. Vanquish

From a distance, it seemed like Platinum Games' latest would be the complete package — a fast-paced, immaculately tuned shooter that brutally skewered the American videogame hero. But Shinji Mikami (Resident Evil) couldn't deliver characters or story that lived up to the killer game design. Instead, Vanquish delivered the same tone-deaf, over-the-top genre silliness we've been choking down for the last 20 years. It's time to stop forgiving our favorite designers for bunts when they could be knocking their games out of the park. —Gus Mastrapa

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Game|Life :lol :lol :lol

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Kintaro said:
I love this game, but it made another "Disappointing" list. This time, from Game|Life =/
Who the fuck cares about characters and story in video games?

Read a book or watch a movie if you want that, even the worst of either trumps the supposed "best" in video game land.

mmxzero

Princess Skittles said:

Read a book or watch a movie if you want that, even the worst of either trumps the supposed "best" in video game land.
Same here, when the gameplay is this great, for me the rest is irrelevant and only needs to fill in the gaps of what to do next.

I played through Vanquish 3 times in a row after picking it up on its release and did half of the challenges. Recently just bought the weapon pack dlc but haven't played again to try out the new weapons. I take it they are just scattered through out the levels like the regular weapons?

I feverishly try to skip every cut scene in Vanquish....I was just too anxious to keep playing, and didn't want any interupption whatsoever. The action is that GOOD!!

Korigama

rvy said:
Is the Weapon Pack worth it? Well, it's 2€, maybe I should be asking if the weapons are any good instead.

Yes, they're definitely worth it, the Anti-Armor Pistol in particular. The overall power and lack of a need for ammo for the Laser Cannon (which runs off of the AR/boost gauge) makes for an interesting weapon as well (the Boost Machine Gun essentially being a stronger Heavy Machine Gun with a smaller magazine).

Reviewers who expect a serious story when the game's dialogue quotes Starship Troopers (among other sci fi movies) should just give up now and find something in there depressing lives to laugh about. Seriously lighten the Fck up.

matmanx1

Finished it this morning. Definitely the best mechanics I've ever experienced in a third person shooter and once everything "clicks" the game becomes an absolute blast to play. I also rate the game very highly for graphics as the lighting, effects, blur, fire, explosions, etc. all looked extremely awesome and didn't noticeably effect the framerate.

I appreciated the different melee attacks depending on the weapon you had selected and the upgrade system was likewise smartly designed.

My only negatives would be the relatively short length (I clocked in at under 5 hours for my first run through) and some minor pacing quibbles with the frequency of the cutscenes. Still, I had an absolute blast playing through the game and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to any fan of the genre.

rvy

Banned
Korigama said:
Yes, they're definitely worth it, the Anti-Armor Pistol in particular. The overall power and lack of a need for ammo for the Laser Cannon (which runs off of the AR/boost gauge) makes for an interesting weapon as well (the Boost Machine Gun essentially being a stronger Heavy Machine Gun with a smaller magazine).
I was curious about the anti-armor pistol. Might buy this then. Thanks.

japtor

Kintaro said:
I love Mikami for embracing over the topness, most shit tries to be serious or realistic and fails horribly or is just boring. Vanquish is up there with RE4 for me. If there's anything that can top "No thanks, bro!" I'll give it the crown.

Popeck

MNC said:
lost planet 1 & 2 (WHICH IS THE ONLY THING MAKING SENSE BECAUSE OF THE THIRD PERSON SHOOTING)"

Actually, that "shoot the orange weak points for massive damage" reminded me of Lost Planet 2 boss battles.

After constantly trying to beat challenge 4 a few weeks ago, I picked up the game again yesterday and done it on my first try!

The last wave was the only part that gave me a lot of trouble.......now onto challenge 6 I go for my very last achievement! :D

rvy

Banned
Did anyone get the Brutality Bonus Trophy? I can't do it. I use the Disk Launcher to cut the Romanov's hands off, but then what? Am I supposed to cut the legs or shoot each part separately?

Koralsky

rvy said:
Did anyone get the Brutality Bonus Trophy? I can't do it. I use the Disk Launcher to cut the Romanov's hands off, but then what? Am I supposed to cut the legs or shoot each part separately?

I was trying to receive this trophy a couple of times with no success and in the end I've got it accidentally...

Tricky I Shadow said:
After constantly trying to beat challenge 4 a few weeks ago, I picked up the game again yesterday and done it on my first try!

The last wave was the only part that gave me a lot of trouble.......now onto challenge 6 I go for my very last achievement! :D

LOL The same thing happened to me.
Challenge 4 was the only one I had a major problem with.
It wasn't all that hard, it was just cheap lol.

.la1n

I rarely, if ever, keep single player games around but vanquish is just so damn fun to replay thanks to the combat mechanics that it has earned a permanent spot in my collection next to Uncharted 1 & 2.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
rvy said:

the legs

rvy said:
Tried pretty much everything. Nope. WTH, man.
Aim just below the knee joint. Sometimes it depends on what a Romanov is doing. For instance, I have better luck when a Romanov is walking as opposed to being stationary and shooting. You'll know when you've fully dismembered one because it will explode immediately. Refrain from using the Disk Launcher's melee, as the angle of incidence for dismemberment is pretty wide. When shooting the disks, however, it's much easier.

Also, it helps in knowing that you only have to dismember the following in order to get one to explode:

*Head
*Left Arm
*Right Arm
*One Leg

Remember that once you take the head off, you have approximately one minute to take the other limbs out or get a valid kill on a Romanov. If you fail to do this, the Romanov will self destruct and you will neither get a valid kill or any points for its destruction.

rvy

Banned
Aim just below the knee joint. Sometimes it depends on what a Romanov is doing. For instance, I have better luck when a Romanov is walking as opposed to being stationary and shooting. You'll know when you've fully dismembered one because it will explode immediately. Refrain from using the Disk Launcher's melee, as the angle of incidence for dismemberment is pretty hit or miss. When shooting the disks, however, it's much easier.

Also, it helps in knowing that you only have to dismember the following in order to get one to explode:

*Head
*Left Arm
*Right Arm
*One Leg

Remember that once you take the head off, you have approximately one minute to take the other limbs out or get a valid kill on a Romanov. If you fail to do this, the Romanov will self destruct and you will neither get a valid kill or any points for its destruction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylS0k6PSU5k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KCAWPHWilE&t=1m50s

I'm not doing anything differently. Apart from the fact that there's no Romanov in that place during Act 3. Tried both places, the exact same strategy. They got it, I didn't. And even the description is dogdy. I mean, some people claim it's 1 leg and 1 arm, others claim it's 2 arms and 2 legs.
It looks like the Trophy is triggered randomly.

I'll try the knee joints tomorrow, I'm tired of this bullshit for the day.

Flynn

Princess Skittles said:

The why bother even having a story?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
This thread goes in circles

Finally started the challenges the other day. My last barrier to a platinum

and what a fucking barrier goddamn

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Finally got it, played through it on Hard. Pure bliss, top to bottom. I fucking hate what the ridiculous pre-release OMFG 4 HOURS LONG bullshit did to people's impression on the game, so much. Ugh.

So I started playing this last night, and I'm somewhere in the middle of act 3. Now I'm really enjoying it. At first I thought it was cool because of the novelty, then I went through a stage of feeling that the game was oversimplified and not too much fun, but then it began to click. Once that happened everything changed.I think it's really important to get to a point where you understand how and when to use AR mode. I mean, it's easy to just pop it out any time an enemy appears, but honestly you don't really need to.

I also tried the challenge mode, and my god it's hard. I got to the last level of the first challenge and lasted about 5 seconds because I had absolutely no ammo left.

Overall I think I got what I expected: a fast pace tactical third person shooter.

Top Bottom