• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

GONz

goldenpp72 said:
Omg I just beat mission 6 in the tactical missions! GET FUCKED PLATINUM!

(loved it, lol)
Congrats! I'm currently stuck at Wave 2 of this very challenge; My ass is beaten to death but I keep going back coz it's so goooood :D

goldenpp72

Wave 2 is really painful until you learn an effective strategy. I did read some tips in this thread and on other sites, I took on wave 2 by starting it with the lock on laser, i'd bombard the boss a few times with it, then chuck an EMP grenade at those flying assholes to the right and they die in one shot, then continue to bombard the boss and do the same to the flying enemies that spawn on the left, once those are gone it's a simple thing really. Boost canceling is helpful to stop the boss from killing your suits gauge as well.

I'd be happy to give some advice for anyone who needs it, the mode wasn't *quite* as hard as I expected since i've seen so many tears over it, but it's definitely a doozy, just not as hard as mission mode in NG2 was (I beat that too but with many more tears :p )

Still it was hard, by the time I narrowed it down to just one enemy in the final wave I was getting that adrenaline shake feeling and started to screw up, I made it to 138 on the leaderboard though (xbox 360 here)

sphinx

the piano man
ZealousD said:
For anybody not paying attention, Vanquish just got an across-the-board price cut to $40. You can also snag it off Amazon for $30.

No excuses.

You're welcome.

anybody knows if the US amazon sends american videos games to Germany??? My console is NTSC and i'd like this game.

EDIT: Some games can be shipped internationally... but not Vanquish :-/.

ultron87

I beat this last night for the first time. Played on Hard, which I think was the right choice.

Game is so fucking good.

Few things in games are cooler than doing a sliding melee attack on one of the bigger robots and then hitting slow-mo as Sam flips out of it to shotgun it in the face until you hit the ground.

One thing that really helped my enjoyment (and made it not as difficult) was abusing one of the checkpoints to get a max upgraded shotgun and assault rifle about halfway through the game. (Though losing 1 level each stage because of a death did get annoying after awhile).

Skullkid

goldenpp72 said:
Omg I just beat mission 6 in the tactical missions! GET FUCKED PLATINUM!

(loved it, lol)

It took me all weekend, but I finally beat Mission 6 too. It was frustrating but so addicting and satisfying. I had to watch a couple youtube videos for strategies (never knew about boost-dodging and it's really needed for the bogeys). A couple times I got the last bogey down below 20% health and I blew it from being impatient. It felt so good to finally pull it off and drop kick that last bogey into oblivion.

I then went back and did the other challenges again and beat my old times. The other challenges seem so easy now, heh.

sensi97

I just did challenge 6 and addicting is the right word. I couldn't stop playing, retrying over and over.
A bit short if you don't play the challenges but really good game overall.

How the fuck do you kill
Alpha and Beta Bogeys? I assume they are pretty much the end of the game? I can get a bit of health off of them but I seem to die from nowhere sometimes. Playing playing playing, dead. Any tips for this one? Playing on Hard. Cheers :)

Spike6663

Just finished Act2. Some crazy 'oh shit' moments but it also makes me want to play Bayonetta again! I'd love some more stat progression style play in this.

ultron87

KennyLinder said:
How the fuck do you kill
Alpha and Beta Bogeys? I assume they are pretty much the end of the game? I can get a bit of health off of them but I seem to die from nowhere sometimes. Playing playing playing, dead. Any tips for this one? Playing on Hard. Cheers :)

There's always a rocket launcher a forward and to the left of where this fight starts. If you grab it, and then die you'll start with a rocket launcher next time you respawn. This means you'll have six rockets effectively. This is enough to kill one of them.

Also, be dodging all the time. And don't let your boost ever actually run totally out because your dodge gets way slower while it is recharging.

And EMP Grenades work well also.

ultron87 said:
There's always a rocket launcher a forward and to the left of where this fight starts. If you grab it, and then die you'll start with a rocket launcher next time you respawn. This means you'll have six rockets effectively. This is enough to kill one of them.

Also, be dodging all the time. And don't let your boost ever actually run totally out because your dodge gets way slower while it is recharging.

And EMP Grenades work well also.

Thanks. As always, a little break from the game helps; I managed to beat them using that exact method a couple of tries later.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Frankfurt said:
Is Challenge Mode good for replay value? Does it feel repetitive?

Thanks!

They seem pretty challenging. I've tried the last couple and I got wasted real fast. I was doing mission 1 just like an hour ago and I got up to part 5 with no issues but then the enemies spawn right were I was an I was stunned then killed instantly. Boo.

My Hard run has been glorious, though. I'm around chapter 4 at the moment and lovin it. I called it a night when I got up to that part where you have to protect the vehicles before you have to go under the giant enemy walker. I ran out of turret ammo and they all died. I hate protection missions. :(

I’m still trying to finish off Challenge 6 for my last achievement. I’ve put in at least 30 hours into it alone! It’s just the last wave. I can get down to one Bogey! Luckily I feel very close to finally beating it!

Looking at the radar in the corner has helped me out so much...and I’ve learnt to boost all over the map instead of boosting around in one little area. I have a feeling that I’ll have the achievement soon!

TheOddOne

KennyLinder said:
How the fuck do you kill
I noticed that when you try to go head on with both, you will get slaughtered. Keep your focus on the red one and move around a lot, just take your time and dodge the bombs by the blue one. When you finish the red one, you get a checkpoint. After that its a cake walk.

HELL YES!!! Challenge 6 has finally been conquered! I did a lot of this:

2nuneds.jpg

It feels goood now! 1000/1000 achievements! Now for something new!

Just beat the game last night (on Hard). There were a couple of places that were tough but not overwhelming. I haven't touched any of the challenges but I am scared to even try after reading pages about challenge 6.

The game really clicked as soon as I started using slow mo bullet time when facing the 2 giant robots.

I hope they make a sequel for this game.

Just fired this up for the first time yesterday, I love this game! A few questions

- I remember in the demo thread, and correct me if I have the details wrong, but a few discovered that you can endlessly shoot without the need to reload if you switch weapons at the perfect time. Is this correct? Can someone fill me in on how it's done?

- At what point is your boost meter too low to be able to melee? Sometimes he does it and sometimes he doesn't, I've been killed already trying to melee and it just doesn't happen

- Lastly, do headshots actually matter like other shooters, or does it all just deal the same amount of damage anyway?

Loving the game so far, reminds me of Bayonetta with the over the top action going on.

Gryphter said:
Just fired this up for the first time yesterday, I love this game! A few questions

- I remember in the demo thread, and correct me if I have the details wrong, but a few discovered that you can endlessly shoot without the need to reload if you switch weapons at the perfect time. Is this correct? Can someone fill me in on how it's done?
When you enter reloading for a weapon after emptying its clip, immediately switch to another automatic weapon and you'll bypass the reloading animation completely. This enables you to alternate automatic weapons to distribute an endless stream of fire.

- Is the LFE gun worthless or worthwhile to upgrade at least? I can't even tell if it's connecting but it doesn't really seem to do much.
Answered on the previous page. See below:

While the LFE Gun can one-hit kill most Gorgies at point-blank range, you'll really want to use it to knock large enemies down and/or keep them stunned. Gorgies can be taken down quickly with just about everything else. Keep in mind that the gun's default range is short, and that the inflicted damage for each shot is entirely dependent on how far your target is. The further the target, the weaker the shot. Lastly, you can extend the damaging duration of each shot while in AR mode. This effect is very noticeable when you use it on an ARGUS core.

The LFE is good at knocking mobs down, too.

- At what point is your boost meter too low to be able to melee? Sometimes he does it and sometimes he doesn't, I've been killed already trying to melee and it just doesn't happen
As long as the suit isn't overheating, you can melee. Remember that once you hit an enemy, the suit will immediately enter overheating. You cannot (and should not) melee whenever you want. It's a power move that comes at a cost. Use it wisely.

- Lastly, do headshots actually matter like other shooters, or does it all just deal the same amount of damage anyway?
Headshots are very effective at taking Gorgies out. They're good for disabling Romanovs, too. Just keep in mind that once you take a Romanov's head out, you'll have one minute to get a valid kill on it. If you don't kill the Romanov before the time limit, the Romanov will self-destruct and you won't get any points for killing the unit itself. You will, however, get points for destroying its head. A headshot on a Gorgie will immediately kill it, and you'll receive bonus points for destroying its head.

Loving the game so far, reminds me of Bayonetta with the over the top action going on.
:)

(If you haven't gone through the tutorial, I suggest you do so. It explains a lot as far as the suit's functions go.)

I've been out of the Vanquish loop for a while. Did the new weapons pack ever come to XBL? I know it made it out on PSN but haven't heard since.

japtor

When you enter reloading for a weapon after emptying its clip, immediately switch to another automatic weapon and you'll bypass the reloading animation completely. This enables you to alternate automatic weapons to distribute an endless stream of fire.
Related to this, if you switch to anything else and back (like if you only have one high ammo automatic weapon), that'll bypass the reload for the current weapon as well.
The LFE is good at knocking mobs down, too.
It also goes through anything, so if you're having trouble with guys behind a barrier or inside a building and can't get a good shot with anything else, you can use the LFE to go straight through all that. It's kind of weak to start, but leveled up the ball is bigger, stronger, and travels farther.
As long as the suit isn't overheating, you can melee. Remember that once you hit an enemy, the suit will immediately enter overheating. You cannot (and should not) melee whenever you want. It's a power move that comes at a cost. Use it wisely.
One exception is with the disk launcher. Well you're limited by the disk ammo (1 melee = 1 disk used). I think if you boost into the melee you'll still do the regular boost using melee though, so watch out for that.
ToyMachine228 said:
I've been out of the Vanquish loop for a while. Did the new weapons pack ever come to XBL? I know it made it out on PSN but haven't heard since.
There was another one after the three weapon pack a while back?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
just ordered this game, haven't/don't want to read reviews.
Ninja gaiden & bayonetta are pretty much my favorites games of all time, what should I keep in my going into vanquish?

Difficulty? I love hard-games where you can survive if you're good enough, but I HATE hard games where you get gangbanged by enemies without any way out and die for nothing and skill wont help you (random shit like COD on veteran for example ).

Corky said:
Ninja gaiden & bayonetta are pretty much my favorites games of all time, what should I keep in my going into vanquish?

Although the genre's different, Vanquish shares much the same design philosophy as those games; it's extremely fast paced and often demanding, and revolves around using a solid set of simple mechanics that can be strung together in a lot of deep ways.

Naturally you'll soon learn the best ways to play, but in general you DON'T want to use melee attacks, they are extremely powerful but leave you at a massive disadvantage afterwards. Best to think of it as the the equivalent of the old "escape" moves in 2d brawlers that took off a bit of your life. Having said that, each weapon has a different melee move, and some of them also result in advantageous states that are useful besides the immediate melee damage.

Don't stay in cover too much. Playing as if it were Gears of War is a) boring and b) dangeous as you will likely get flanked and overrun. Although it seems counterintuitive and risky at first, playing aggressively is the key to beating harder parts of the game ( especially the challenges!) and the risk/reward payoff is often collossal and a big part of the fun.

It might not seem like it at first, but pretty much ALL the guns are good. Experiment with them to learn why, as even the weaker weapons (like the disc gun) have certain abilities that may save your life even if they aren't good damage dealers.

Lots of people say to play on hard first time round, but I honestly enjoyed it less doing it this way. Try and play the challenge levels as you unlock them; they're both some of the most intense and satisfying gaming I enjoyed last year, but also force you to learn new strategies and techniques that make the more gently paced main game even more fun.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Strummerjones said:

thanks man! :) now I'm rather hyped. I think I'll stick to normal at first, even though I finished both ng and bayo on the highest difficulties I think my enjoyment would've been impaired if I went straight to the higher difficulties.

thanks again

Corky said:

Difficulty? I love hard-games where you can survive if you're good enough, but I HATE hard games where you get gangbanged by enemies without any way out and die for nothing and skill wont help you (random shit like COD on veteran for example ).

It's a score oriented TPS, with more emphasis on scoring than NG or Bayo. The scoring system is based first on the 5000 point speed bonus which has a different time requirement for each section. You always want to speed run the maps to get this bonus, then any enemies you manage to kill on top of that are a bonus. I can post the 5000 pt times from the official guide if anyone cares.

I would say the difficulty is fair. There is a fair bit of memorization required to start going for the top scores. It's a scripted on rails game so that's to be expected.

Yesterday I was but a boy, but today I have become a man; I completed challenge 6.

This fucker was honestly making me question if I'd lost my mojo. I've completed both Ninja Gaidens on Master Ninja mode, romped through Bayonetta on Infinite Climax and many other astounding vidya game feats, but approaching 30 it looked like my skills just weren't up to it no more. There was a nagging doubt that maybe this was a sign of things to come, that all that was left was to be pensioned off to pasture on the likes of Farmville.

But I did it. Took me several days of frustration and raging torrents of expletives but I got there. On my final attempt I was so in the zone I knew I was going to win and there could be no other outcome. Even when the first Missile Launcher oddly didn't drop I wasn't fussed and still calmly took out the Bogey's without one.

Feels good, man.

Although it did take me a rather sloth-like 17 minutes to do it.

Eurogamer said:
Looking to the future, SEGA said it needs to adapt to provide new content geared to social networking services and smartphones. Guess we can expect more Facebook and iPhone games, then.
Some actual marketing for their good games would be nice, too. Still though, 820,000 isn't bad. I expected worse.

MNC

Finished the game, fucking loved the gameplay, the characters were totally stereotypical and great (I liked bad-ass Sam and Elena was hot) but the storyline lost me after act 4. The ending was a mess as well IMO, it didn't feel satisfied
not having killed Seitsev or whatever his name was

Teknoman

MNC said:
Finished the game, fucking loved the gameplay, the characters were totally stereotypical and great (I liked bad-ass Sam and Elena was hot) but the storyline lost me after act 4. The ending was a mess as well IMO, it didn't feel satisfied
not having killed Seitsev or whatever his name was

Same here. The fight between
the two bogeys was nice
and the qte was cool to see...but afterwards, I was left with a "huh?" look on my face, and not in a good way.

They have to make a sequel to the game. I mean i'm definitely going to go through again on God Hard and complete all the challenges...but
for a high action shooter like this, the end boss was underwhelming. Also random suicide out of nowhere

Daigoro

i traded in BLOPS and paid $5 to get this game new at Gamestop yesterday. best trade ever.

i was going to wait until this dropped to $20, which is why i didnt get it at release, but im glad i didnt wait.

i played through most of the first act so far and im loving it. i love smoking in cover.

thumbs up Platinum!

also: the LFE gun is kick ass when you have your subwoofer cranked up. good shit.

Curufinwe

I played the 360 demo for a couple of hours last night, and I think I'm going to get that version tomorrow from Best Buy with my 10% off coupon.

Curufinwe

I finished the game on Normal last night with a clear time of just over 5 hours, although it was more like 8 with all the restarts. There were some frustrating parts where I kept getting killed, but they were mainly my own fault for not understanding what I need to do right away. I loved how the game was broken down into missions, and that I can now go back and play those missions where I didn't get the specific Achievements.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
_dementia said:
Bogey Alpha and Bogey Bravo are fucking bodying me. Any tips?
I'm starting to regret picking Hard my first time out.

what act mission is that? I'm starting to worry about playing hard first myself, I'm only just past the stealth/sniper railway mission though.

Top Bottom