• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

Riposte

Rocket Launcher is really helpful when focus firing one dude down. I think I forgot to use EMP grenades when I beat it on hard(for the first time). Though on my next run I used one to end the fight with a slide-kick. (Such an awesome game.)

rvy said:
Keep at it and use your EMP grenades wisely.
Yeah, I blew them up like 10 minutes after I typed that post lol. I was an ass and trying to fight them both at the same time. Focusing on one unitl it was dead and then taking care of the other worked way better.

levious said:
what act mission is that? I'm starting to worry about playing hard first myself, I'm only just past the stealth/sniper railway mission though.
Last mission. It turned out not to be that hard though.

Trojan X

Banned
I'm playing this game on GOD HARD mode and even though I have died over 150 times because it's brutal on that level, I'd have to say that this game is DEFINITELY a GEAR of WAR beater! In fact, I'll go on record to say that this has to be the best 3rd person shooter I have ever played this generation only let down by the non-multiplayer co-op action. It's unbelievable how I get killed so many times but yet I still love the game, and it feels really lenghty on GOD HARD too.

If Vanquish 2 has 5-8 players co-op on a GOD HARD setting and they resolve the silly "no invincible dodging when your unit overheats" issue then, seriously, it will easily take the crown as the best 3rd person shooter of all time. This game is a serious god-send to the gaming industry as it carries a charm that was long missed for me since the gaming-golden-days (the 90s).

Kudos Platinum Games. Bayonetta, Vanquish.... Please keep em coming for I will definitely support you.

Curufinwe

I just got the Smoke 'em if ya got 'em! Achievement thanks to a great little tip I read on XboxAchievements.org. Just start Challenge 1, boost into cover in front of the swarm of approaching Gorgies, toss out a cigarette, then throw a grenade. It worked the first time I tried it.

That's the last Achievement I'll get in Vanquish, apart from the ones for finishing the game on Hard. I'm not going to waste my time getting the 100+ Pangloss statues I missed playing on Normal, and I'll never be able to beat all the Tactical Challenges.

Curufinwe

I wish I had known about this weapon upgrading trick before I started playing on Hard last night since I really enjoyed upgrading my weapons as much as possible on Normal, and on Hard I might need that little bit of extra firepower.

I wanted to keep track of how many times I died on Hard, but since you can avoid losing weapon experience by quitting to the Title Screen and continuing from there when you get killed, I'm going to end up with zero official deaths from playing on Normal and Hard.

Using several weapons, you can maximize your weapon's experience chevrons. You need four different weapons on the ground (excluding grenades, which cannot use this exploit). The weapons on the ground all have to be completely full (or never fired), and the weapons carried by Sam must have at least one shot in them (or the carried weapons disappear).

In this example, Sam will have the following: Assault Rifle (166 rounds left), Heavy Machinegun (34 rounds left), and a Shotgun (3 shots left).

On the ground (or in pre-set drop pods) are four weapons that have never been fired -- the three weapons Sam is holding and a sniper rifle. Normally, if you pick-up the weapons Sam already has, you will simply recover the ammunition and not level up. The trick now is to exploit this system.

(1) - Have Sam swap any of his used weapons with the fourth weapon (the weapon not in his inventory). For this example, swap the Assault Rifle for the Sniper Rifle.

(2) - Take the fully loaded version of the weapon he previously dropped. His new Assault Rifle will have maximum ammunition.

(3) - Locate and acquire the previously dropped "used" Assault Rifle. Since the new Assault Rifle has maximum ammunition, the old Assault Rifle is converted into an experience chevron instead.

(4) - Repeat the weapon swapping process with the remaining weapons before moving on.

By using this trick on Normal and Hard (after a boss fight), you will greatly increase your firepower. Doing this on Casual difficulty can probably maximize your weapon levels before Act 2 is even over.

Feindflug

rvy said:
Keep at it and use your EMP grenades wisely.

I'm on the last boss (God Hard) and it's really frustrating, especially the one hit deaths are nerd rage worthy - sometimes I feel like I couldn't do a thing to prevent Sam from dying...the biggest problem for me is the much higher HP bars of the bosses on god hard
(Burns on God Hard was a fuckin' bitch btw)
- even rocket launcher feels weak against them.

Any tips for the last boss on god hard? Just use the emp grenades and wish me luck? btw do the emps or any other weapons respawn?
also which of the two bogeys should I kill first?

Thanks in advance.

JoeFenix

Feindflug said:
I'm on the last boss (God Hard) and it's really frustrating, especially the one hit deaths are nerd rage worthy - sometimes I feel like I couldn't do a thing to prevent Sam from dying...the biggest problem for me is the much higher HP bars of the bosses on god hard
(Burns on God Hard was a fuckin' bitch btw)
- even rocket launcher feels weak against them.

Any tips for the last boss on god hard? Just use the emp grenades and wish me luck? btw do the emps or any other weapons respawn?
also which of the two bogeys should I kill first?

Thanks in advance.

Shotgun and EMP grenades are pretty key, learn to use the invincibility frames on your dodge to deal with the beam spam.

Listen to the sound cues and time your rolls accordingly, it's possible to actualy stay out of cover and dodge everything they throw at you.

JoeFenix

Curufinwe said:
When exactly do the invincibility frames kick in?

You get 10 frames and the game engine runs at 30 so it's actualy a decent length of the dodge animation.

I suggest dodging a split second before the attack hits and you should be able to come out unscathed.

I think the invincibility is mostly the starter frames but it's been a while since I played so you'll have to experiment, sorry!

Oh and I forgot to add, you only get 4 frames of invincibility when your AR gauge is overheating so make sure to NEVER overheat, it becomes MUCH harder to avoid stuff and you'll end up getting killed easily.

GONz

You guys completing the game in God Hard are properly MAD. The only time I tried it (to change a little from the routine of having my ass beaten in Challenge 6) I couldn't even pass the 1st demo area, even after 20+ tries. But you are the kind of mad men I can only admire ^^' :bow: Just wanting to say that

Feindflug

JoeFenix said:
You get 10 frames and the game engine runs at 30 so it's actualy a decent length of the dodge animation.

I suggest dodging a split second before the attack hits and you should be able to come out unscathed.

I think the invincibility is mostly the starter frames but it's been a while since I played so you'll have to experiment, sorry!

Oh and I forgot to add, you only get 4 frames of invincibility when your AR gauge is overheating so make sure to NEVER overheat, it becomes MUCH harder to avoid stuff and you'll end up getting killed easily.

I muted the music completely so it would be easier to identify the audio cues....biggest problem for me are
the two AR overheating grenades the blue bogey throws - sometimes I get in AR mode to shoot them before they explode but the other bogey shoots me resulting in overheat mode and eventually die
- I guess I'll have to work more on the boost canceling/evading and exploit the invincibility frames.

I'll try again tomorrow and hope that I'll be able to finally beat the damn game, thanks a lot for the tips. :)

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
JohnnyPanda said:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-04-western-vanquish-and-fm11-sales-slow

Not really that much of a surprise, but still sad to see since it's IMO last year's best shooter.

That's a lot better than I was expecting. Maybe it picked up once the prices dropped some? I know that a lot of people passed this game over at $60 because of the short campaign and no MP, which is reasonable.

I got it with a K-Mart sale for roughly $45 on launch day and it's still as awesome now as it was when I got it.

Actually more so once I discovered that you could go into slow motion during the backflip out of a boosting melee, which I didn't even think of doing on my first playthrough. I guess only Platinum's games can make my jaw drop even after I've beaten the game.

Yuterald

JoeFenix said:
Shotgun and EMP grenades are pretty key, learn to use the invincibility frames on your dodge to deal with the beam spam.

Listen to the sound cues and time your rolls accordingly, it's possible to actualy stay out of cover and dodge everything they throw at you.

True. I was pretty stubborn when it came to not using the shotgun in this battle on God Hard, but as soon as I messed around with it the shotgun became essential to win this fight. And yes, proper EMP grenade throws coupled with 'head shot" shotgun blasts helps a ton. I finished it on God Hard back around its release as well (on 360, GT is AlbertWeskerUMB if anyone cares to look) and it was definitely one of the hardest challenges I have done in a game.

Riposte

Bayonetta was less refined than Vanquish. However, it is also several leagues "bigger". So it is a hard comparsion. I can say confidently they are some of the top games in their respective subgenres(like top 1 or 2).

Synless

I just picked this up the other day off Amazon and it has finally arrived. I figure I can beat this by the time DA2 comes out.

qazqaNii

Finished Vanquish today. took me 4 hours and 15 minutes.
Game was all nice at the beginning but the last act it felt repetitive, and I didn't understand the story at the end...

Did the Russian guy work for Russia or did he fool Russia aswell at the end, had hard time to understand at the end with all that mindless shooting too.

tearsofash

Bought this less than a month ago. I finally got around finishing it.

I felt like I was just subjected to six-ish hours of American military propaganda written by a person who has only experienced America through its pop culture.

It made for some good laughs. Even though it was really corny, I couldn't put it down.

Korigama

qazqaNii said:
Finished Vanquish today. took me 4 hours and 15 minutes.
Game was all nice at the beginning but the last act it felt repetitive, and I didn't understand the story at the end...

Did the Russian guy work for Russia or did he fool Russia aswell at the end, had hard time to understand at the end with all that mindless shooting too.

Not much to it, really.
Zaitsev was a subordinate for whoever was actually in charge of The Order of the Russian Star, and was speaking with the mastermind at the very end. The events of Vanquish were only the first phase of the organization's plans, though it's questionable if we'll ever see a sequel focusing on what they intend to do next.

Makoto

Just finished Vanquish and it was by far better than Bayonetta in terms of overall enjoyment. The banter between Sam and Burns has its funny moments despite the simple dialogue. This was probably mentioned in the thread but I got some serious Mass Effect vibes from this. Providence looking like the Citadel, the obvious robots who weren't cut out for the Geth and as a result got stuck in this game and general atmosphere seemed like Mass Effect but with testosterone and plenty of it.

zoukka said:
Not quite. Many of the scenes left a "pro-america" taste in my mouth even with the twist.

You need to reexamine the scenes because even if the game was attempting some pro-america message, it got lost in the tropes that Japan is known for.

AEREC

Finally picked this game up yesterday after Ive been wanting to play it forever. Playing it on normal to begin with and will probably go through it like a normal TPS at first (and not worry too much about scoring).

Im actually loving the feel of the story as well, feels kinda campy and MGS-ish...but that might be because Sam feels like a Solid Snake homage/rip-off.

Vorg

Banned
Finally finished the game on normal. Over 7 hours for me, but I`m sure some of that time was due to all the deaths and restarts. Died over 60 times during the game lol. 11 on bogey alpha and bravo alone. Loved it though. It`s definitely one of the most fun games I`ve played this gen.

tearsofash

Team America, pro-america -- not really sure. It just seems like someone's google'd version of America or parodied version. I can't really tell which, but I like it like that.

Rhoxin

Banned
I finished the game on hardcore yesterday with 5:30 hours gametime.
Is it just me or is the last act extremely rushed?
I think it shows in every aspect they got tired of the game or short on time, it's really the worst act ( with some of the best cut scenes though).

This game is awesome and alot of fun, but if it was more complete and had more variety it would have been an all time favorite.

Bayonetta isn't really comparable but since the same people made these games i must add that Bayonetta is a 100 times more deep and complex and it shows much more time effort and love was put into Bayonetta.
Nonetheless , Vanquish is an awesome and fun game to play, i got it new for 20€ and it's clearly worth that. I felt it wasn't worth 50€ on release day and i still stick to that.

After hating Madworld and Bayonetta I think it's safe to say this is by far the best thing Platinum Games have ever done (and their only good game in my eyes)

I really enjoyed my time with it. Short (clocking in at just over three hours according to the in-game clock) but sweet. I finished it in one session and although I went back to it this morning to play one or two bits again, I think I'm done with it. The end sections of the game were definitely the best due to my guns being fully upgraded and the fact I knew how to slid around enemies like a bad ass motherfucker taking them all down.

It was still too "Japanesey" for my tastes in places though. From the anime-esque cutscenes to the stat tracker at the end of every chapter, that's not really my thing. I thought the narrative was especially bad too and made something like Gears look like a masterpiece in comparison. Finally, the graphics weren't as polished as I hoped they would be. The setting was really cool, but every time you looked in the distance you could just see this horizon that was basically a stretched jpeg and everything had a horrible glow/shine to it. Really distracting. Almost certainly a limitation of the console hardware, but annoying nonetheless.

I hope there's a Vanquish 2 because with a bit more variety this game could've been really great.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I really enjoyed my time with it. Short (clocking in at just over three hours according to the in-game clock) but sweet. I finished it in one session and although I went back to it this morning to play one or two bits again, I think I'm done with it. The end sections of the game were definitely the best due to my guns being fully upgraded and the fact I knew how to slid around enemies like a bad ass motherfucker taking them all down.

You haven't even started the game proper until you've played through the challenge mode; it's about 100 times better than the main game, and the main game was awesome. Those who seem to think the game has "no depth" or whatever are also recommended to do this, as they will be given the beating of their lives if they don't truly understand the depth of the mechanics (and have a shitton of fun learning them if not).

Foliorum Viridum said:
I assume challenge mode is, er, challenging?

Not what I want from a game like this. I blasted through it on easy!

Why the hell did you play it on Easy? I've always wondered who plays ANY game on Easy. Yes, Challenge Mode isn't a cake walk.

I don't see what's so hard to understand about that? I just wanted to experience the game without dying 100 times and having to restart sections. It was a nice, flowing experience and I got to enjoy shooting dudes without worrying too much about taking cover etc.

I mean I've done both Gears of War games on Insane, so I do enjoy the challenge sometimes in games like this, but I like GoW a lot more and re-played them on higher difficulties.

Top Bottom