• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Ben Affleck steps down as director of 'The Batman'

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdt

I'd bet that the performance of Live By Night probably factored into this. After that bombed hard (REAL HARD) for Affleck, I'm sure Warner was less confident in giving him the director's chair.

I don't think so. The guy has a string of beloved movies and he just put out one clunker (sure a big one). I don't think its taken the shine off him.

Need two bombs in a row before people start giving you the side eye imo.

Koodo

Banned
We still have DC stans up in here peddling the "bad media, fake news!" narrative against this awful enterprise?

Hang it up. WB fucked up with this universe and only a hard reboot may set things right at this rate.

Santiako

Performing this role demands focus, passion and the very best performance I can give. It has become clear that I cannot do both jobs to the level they require.

How is this a bad thing? It's clear that his movies where he both stars and directs end up subpar, so it's good that he focuses on one of them.

Simo

Well that's a bummer but he's still in the suit so that's a plus.

Matt Reeves on the short list also instills some confidence too given I love the new Apes movies and Cloverfield.

a916

Holy fucking shit....

What in the fuck is going on over at DC.

Affleck started reading that script like:
sD6KXkS.gif

Kinda weird considering he's the one writing the script....

ElRenoRaven

This really says a lot. If he's stepping down as director that to me shows he lacks faith and maybe got tired of WB trying to meddle with shit.

Deadbeat

Banned
This is Kevin Smith's chance!

Get in there and save the DCCU!!
I would love for him to direct, just to ensure absolute destruction. I love chaos.
Live By Night got him shook.
Which is too bad because his Autism Hitman movie was great.
Aquaman's really gonna be the best DCEU movie, isn't it?

What a world we live in.
I rather have ww3 with nukes than ever let there be a good Aqua Man film.

Lifeline

How is this a bad thing? It's clear that his movies where he both stars and directs end up subpar, so it's good that he focuses on one of them.

What about The Town and Argo?

The whole focus thing sounds BS. Affleck's taking too long for the perfect script so they pushed him off the directors seat. Probably used Live by Night as leverage to do it.

Since he co-wrote it still might turn out good.

According to rumors updated within the story, he nor people at Warners are happy with the script. Another rumor says Live by Night is what made him rethink his approach to projects. So if he's not confident to direct, and the script isn't there, I don't blame the guy for wanting to avoid that huge burden.

Honest to god, I think I wouldn't mind Snyder to direct it XD
It can bad movie for all I care, just as long as I keep getting more warehouse scenes.

I would.

Zack Snyder isn't a good filmmaker.

You just gotta put restraints on him. He's been running wild with Goyer. With Affleck there to keep him in check Snyder could turn out something good.

If Shyamalam can come back from the pits of hell, Snyder can direct a good movie.

I don't think so. The guy has a string of beloved movies and he just put out one clunker (sure a big one). I don't think its taken the shine off him.

Need two bombs in a row before people start giving you the side eye imo.

Wasn't The Accountant also directed/acted by Affleck and another bimb?

Betty

Banned
Whoop there it is.

Face facts guys, this universe is a burning train and it's soon to be careering off a cliff.

I'm guessing he saw an early cut of Justice League or just doesn't want the baggage these films come with.

Smart decision on his part honestly.

At this point don't be surprised if there's no stand alone Batman film with Affleck in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom