• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Ben Affleck steps down as director of 'The Batman'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time for a reboot so this can be officially erased.
28683547232_a64a5881a3_o.gif

Jacob

Again, he still wrote it, will star in it, and will produce it. It's not the end of the world, jesus christ. The hyperbole in this thread already, yeesh.

Why would he kill himself trying to direct and act in this if he doesn't feel he can do it? Now he can focus on just the one thing and hire a director he trusts to deal with all the other shit.

The only glimmer of hope I am getting from this is Affleck cowrote the script with Geoff Johns.

Since he co-wrote it still might turn out good.

Affleck claimed a month ago that the Batman movie doesn't actually have a script yet, so either he didn't write one or he did and it was rejected.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/jan/01/ben-affleck-my-dreams-have-true-come-at-a-price

Though the batman costume in the foyer is from Affleck’s caped crusader in Zack Snyder’s messy Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, word is that he will get to direct his own superhero movie, tentatively titled The Batman. “That’s the idea. But it’s not a set thing and there’s no script. If it doesn’t come together in a way I think is really great I’m not going to do it.”

rjinaz

What a shame. I love DC, can't really get into Marvel. Can the movie world ever recover? Maybe in a decade if there isn't oversaturation at that point.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's kind of sad that that shot is better than most of his scenes in SS.
Without hyperbole too, damn.

Damn, I forgot that even with Batfleck and potentially better directing/writing than the rest of the DCCU, we're going to have to suffer through Jared Leto reprising his role. Hopefully they just avoid Joker stories altogether.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member

a916

Well... I think the actors aren't an issue... so Flashpoint Paradox this if they have to after JL for a soft (pretty hard) reboot.

ryseing

All on Wonder Woman at this point. With Flash being rewritten from one and The Batman now suffering, there's nothing anchoring this universe. If Wonder Woman tanks, Justice League will be quickly retooled to be the franchise finale, released quietly, and The Batman, Flash, and Green Lantern Corps will lead a new universe altogether.

You're forgetting Aquaman, which is probably the best hope for a good film with Wan at the helm.

That was when he was doing the press junkets for Live By Night and was sick of being asked about it. It was like the next day on Kimmel he flat out said the script was great and everything was on track.

That sounds like the kind of flip flop someone who got a call from a higher up would do.

This movie isn't happening.
Neither is Flash
Neither is Aquaman.

Nothing is going to be happening until after Justice League drops. And they'll know by the 2nd weekend whether they send everyone home and they take another run at this in five years, or whether they need to spin up the machine and start trying to rehab this universe for future entries.

J_Viper

This is actually shocking and disappointing to hear, but the more I think about it, it may be the right move.

Live by Night bombed so bad that Trump wants a hold of it. But, I don't think that plays a part in this decision. Dealing with failure is tough, but almost every Hollywood filmmaker has had at least one miss. It'd be strange if Affleck would be so struck down by his own. Like, c'mon dude, Scorsese bombed right alongside you with Silence. It happens.

If this movie is as action packed as it needs to be, I can imagine the role of Batman to be incredibly intense, on a physical level especially. If he's going to go ham on working on his physique, there's no fucking way he'd be able to focus on lifting, diet, and most importantly rest if he's also in charge of this massive project, especially at his age.

Even with a stuntman to do the heavy lifting, I imagine it'd be damn near impossible to handle the costumed scenes while also being the director. I mean, would he have directed with the Batsuit still on?

Anyway, the doom and gloom here is typical, but it honestly, it might be the right move.

But my god, Matt Reeves would kill it. Bring him on board like you should have for Man of Steel, WB.

Hence why I have my doubts Reeves will want anything to do with it.
To be fair, this is BATMAN, not Flash or Cyborg. I imagine it's way harder to turn that down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom