• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Ben Affleck steps down as director of 'The Batman'

Status
Not open for further replies.

higemaru

What demands is Warner Bros./DC making that makes their films languish in development hell for so long. Like it's not a recent thing but recently it feels even more noticeable

Its been predicted since Sad Affleck. Guy clearly isn't happy with these films no matter how bad certain posters want to spin this.

Yeah, but it just seems like there's a news bit every few months or so where they're like yeah we're still getting the script right etc etc and it just felt like either Ben couldn't get the script together or the studio was meddling too much. Either way it just seemed likely to give out.

Hydrus

They just need to take a few years off and reboot everything. What a waste of Affleck who, in my opinion, is an awesome Batman.

Kelsdesu

All hope for the DCEU now rests on the shoulders of James Wan. God help us all...

j2Bqj4.gif

giphy.gif

A goddamn shitnami is what this is.

Meh anyway I hope Ben goes onto a better creative environment because even if he's at fault for the writing process and putting something together, the DC films have been... well they could be better. I liked Man of Steel and some aspects of BVS but Suicide Squad is a goddamned train wreck.

Prompto

Banned
The article mentions they've got a shortlist of directors and that Matt Reeves is at the top.
Matt Reeves would get me excited for this again. Hope he gets it. Think he was up for Man of Steel too and they stupidly turned him down.

BadAss2961

Probably for the best. Starring and directing in this kind of movie was a daunting task.

Whoever directs though has to be pretty big time, or proven. Can't half ass this one.

Effect

The jump many of you are making with "reboot this", etc makes no fucking sense at all. Stop for a moment. Push away from the keyboard and take a few minutes to think.

Oh no. :(

I mean, it's not unexpected for executives to not want a director who just got bodied on a different project, but it's still disappointing to see since Affleck is at least invested into it. At the same time, being both writer, actor, and director, always strikes me as wanting to do too much where delegating those tasks would be better.

I hope some good comes of it regardless. Maybe they can finally take a knee and beg Paul Dini to save their franchise(s). The Nolan's basically ripped everything from TAS with some additions of their own, there is no shame in getting the superior writer back on the bat.

THR: Affleck had apparently been unhappy with the script for some time, and Live By Night bombing was also a factor.

http://bit.ly/2jwXWxe

Like I said, Live By Night's performance would make any studio rethink a tentpole film seat. Probably has Affleck shook too.

This is not horrible except for the fact that it was supposed to begin production soon. WB needs to push it back and do this right.

a916

What demands is Warner Bros./DC making that makes their films languish in development hell for so long. Like it's not a recent thing but recently it feels even more noticeable

Lack of a plan. Or an ever changing plan... either one. The hope is Geoff Johns rights that ship with an overarching story and that these are all just growing pains.

Like I said, Live By Night's performance would make any studio rethink a tentpole film seat. Probably has Affleck shook too.

This is not horrible except for the fact that it was supposed to begin production soon. WB needs to push it back and do this right.

I'm not sure I get that... Affleck's first miss as director. Batman was never "bombing" at the theatre and I don't think WB can replace him with a more talented director because there aren't that many out there willing to do Batman.

Ogodei

All on Wonder Woman at this point. With Flash being rewritten from one and The Batman now suffering, there's nothing anchoring this universe. If Wonder Woman tanks, Justice League will be quickly retooled to be the franchise finale, released quietly, and The Batman, Flash, and Green Lantern Corps will lead a new universe altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom