• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Venture Bros. Season 5 |OT| - Sundays @ 12 on Adult Swim - Come get a rusty venture!

Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol @ this week's t-shirt:

4_DESTINY_model_1024x1024.jpg

Macaulay Culkin?

I don't watch many animated shows but I loved Archer and I'm told that based on that, I should watch this. Would you guys say there are similarities or if a fan of Archer is likely to like this?

I don't watch many animated shows but I loved Archer and I'm told that based on that, I should watch this. Would you guys say there are similarities or if a fan of Archer is likely to like this?
Yeah I don't think they're very similar at all except when it comes to quality. The Venture Bros. started off as a fairly simple parody of shows like Johnny Quest but has evolved more into an ensemble drama with comedic elements. The world is vast and full of depth. Archer is much more of a quick-witted comedy with some serialized elements. They're both wonderful, and are both worth watching.

Scirrocco

Well i loved VB and I ended up loving Archer, so theres a good chance. I guess theyre kind of similar, focusing a bit more on the everyday lives of character types you only ever seem to see knee deep in action. In archer, its the office politics behind an international spy organization, in VB, its more what super scientists/ villains do in their off time. ISIS would fit right in in the VB universe, in fact SPHINX was like them a lot in some ways last season.

So yeah, give it a try.

Edit: spelling. Stupid tablet keyboard.

Tokubetsu

Both are deeply entrenched in their own mythologies now as well. It just took VB ten years to get to season five lol.

A different show, but of the same ilk.
If you like Archer you will like TVB, similar callbacks and meta humor.
I prefer TVB, its more ranging in its scale.
HJB guests in TVB, so I guess thats all you need to know :)

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member

Archer and VB are the only TV shows I follow anymore. They're both brilliant in the ways the posters above me have already described.

My interest in Archer actually came from my love of Sealab 2021 and Frisky Dingo, Matt Thompson and Adam Reed's previous shows.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
St. Cloud is the best new character.
I love the writers taking petty nerd arguments and making them sound serious as hell.

Oh wow, Brock's illegitimate children.

B.K.

It was a decent episode, but it's too bad it was filler. Especially since there are only eight episodes this season.

B.K.

I wonder if we're going to see Dr. Orpheus this season. It's kind of surprising that we're over half way through the season and haven't seen him yet.

Decent episode. I enjoy watching Pete and Billy's back-and-forth and a happy Rusty was pretty interesting. Really wish we'd see more Brock.

It was a decent episode, but it's too bad it was filler. Especially since there are only eight episodes this season.

I'd actually forgotten about this. Fuck, now I'm depressed.

Stop-motion segment was kind of neat, and the post-credits scene was good. Tons of St. Cloud too, but yeah, a little on the weak side overall.

Khezu

I wonder if we're going to see Dr. Orpheus this season. It's kind of surprising that we're over half way through the season and haven't seen him yet.

We kind of did if you count the Halloween episode that takes place in between the hour long episode.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
i like seeing rusty happy. its a nice change. and once again, jonas is the worst damn father ever.

brocks bastards was funny, yet sad

I think St. Cloud is the first character they've even created that I don't like.
The show has always been full of fun stupid nerd shit, I don't like them having a character that's so obvious and full of it. Also, it really is just Jackson's voice.

aett

So this is the first time we've actually seen any of Brock's bastard children, huh? For years I've been thinking "wow, how are there not a million of these kids running around the world."

A great review. What kinda struck me with that L Ron battle is that when the ship went belly up, noone seemed to care that rusty should have been on that boat. Its amazing how shit of a father Jonas is.
Indeed, though he did care enough to beat the ever-loving crap out of the residents of Spanikos once everything was "resolved." So there's something there I suppose!

Been meaning to post about these, by the way. Not sure how many of you guys visit the Mantis Eye Experiment, but it's the best VB fansite out there; been going strong for years. Mike does these great community-sourced guides for each episode that delve into obvious and not-so-obvious references, they're an awesome read after an airing (and a re-watch or two!):

Here are the Season 5 ones up thus far:

A Very Venture Halloween

What Color Is Your Cleansuit?

Venture Libre

Sphinx Rising

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member

The reviewer makes a pretty good point about St. Cloud. I'd like to see what else they do with his character before the season ends.

A great review. What kinda struck me with that L Ron battle is that when the ship went belly up, noone seemed to care that rusty should have been on that boat. Its amazing how shit of a father Jonas is.
That's the theme of failure as it applies to Jonas: he succeeds at everything except caring about his son.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The gag with the blond kids was the hardest I've laughed in I don't know how long. "You've got the wrong myyyyyyth" was pretty good as well.

Great season so far

Indeed, though he did care enough to beat the ever-loving crap out of the residents of Spanikos once everything was "resolved." So there's something there I suppose!

Been meaning to post about these, by the way. Not sure how many of you guys visit the Mantis Eye Experiment, but it's the best VB fansite out there; been going strong for years. Mike does these great community-sourced guides for each episode that delve into obvious and not-so-obvious references, they're an awesome read after an airing (and a re-watch or two!):

Here are the Season 5 ones up thus far:

A Very Venture Halloween

What Color Is Your Cleansuit?

Venture Libre

Sphinx Rising

There was also

From the Ladle to the Grave: The Shallow Gravy Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom