• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Venture Bros. Season 5 |OT| - Sundays @ 12 on Adult Swim - Come get a rusty venture!

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.K.

wait this season is only going to be 8 episodes?! fuck!

They were renewed for 10 episodes, but the Halloween episode counts as one and takes it down to 9 and then the one hour premiere counted as two episodes and takes it down to 8.

B33

Banned
Yes, Season V is technically only 9 episodes. Fortunately, we're going to get an hour premiere and ten episodes for Season 6.

B33

Banned
does that include the special episode between 5 and 6?

Don't hold me to it, but I think Jackson and Doc intend on changing that special in-between episode into the one-hour premiere for Season 6, which would mean a total of eleven episodes. They're writing the next batch of episodes now, so I suppose it's still nebulous.

I know the contract signed with the network (per Jackson) declares that they have twenty half-hour episodes and one 60-90 minute special.

It could technically work either way.

somedevil

Yes, Season V is technically only 9 episodes. Fortunately, we're going to get an hour premiere and ten episodes for Season 6.

Then pray they don't get writers block or do the first episode last and doesn't take another 2 and half years to get out.

B33

Banned
Jackson offered a reply to a user on his Livejournal back in May as an explanation for why it took so long for Season V to premiere.

Jackson Publick said:
Okay, badpeteno, I'll take the bait...

1. We haven't missed any deadlines. We don't HAVE any deadlines! HA!
2. The name is Jackson.
3. Actually, we've made over 25 hours of finished product in 10 years.
4. The most recent 2 week "delay" had nothing to do with us. The show was long finished by the time the network--for reasons of their own--decided to move the premiere from May 19th to June 2nd.
5. While we understand and sympathize--even empathize--with fan frustrations, no one complains when it takes a studio 2 years to make a sequel to a hit movie. Do you count their 90-120 minutes and do your weird math to come up with a monthly quota for them? No! And those guys have only one script to write, hundreds more crew members, hundreds of millions of dollars to work with, and they get to point a camera at stuff and just... film it.

Likewise, though you were no doubt raised on a steady diet of regularly scheduled, annually punctual television series, I will bet you dollars to cream-filled donuts that 99.9% of them were not written by only two guys. Nor were either of those guys the sole director, executive producer, art director, editor, graphic designer, motion graphics designer, or half of the cast. The guy writing "FADE IN:" on day one was probably NOT the same guy sitting at the final sound mix on day 370 as the credits rolled, after working 12-16 hours a day, 7 days a week, for months on end with no break.

Why'd we take so long between seasons 4 and 5? See above. See also:

1. We had to decide we wanted to make another season. So did the network.
2. Our contracts were expired. We needed new ones. And new agents. That shit takes time to sort out.
3. We were exhausted from making season 4 and needed time to recover.
4. We had to find a new production company.
5. We had to design a whole new production pipeline with this new production company.
6. We had to make a new budget and schedule, get them approved.
7. We had to find, test, and hire new artists, designers, editors, etc.
8. We made "From The Ladle To The Grave," the Shallow Gravy special.
9. We made a season 4 DVD and BluRay
10. I did some more work on SuperJail, Doc made some records.
11. We did the convention circuit.
12. I tried to quit smoking.
13. Then we started writing...and it takes several months to write enough scripts before we can safely start production.
14. We started production of season 5 in January 2012. It takes about 13-14 months to produce an entire season. In theory, we could have premiered as early as January or February, BUT...
15. We wrote the double-length premiere episode LAST. Which means the final episode HAD to be completed before we could air ANY of them.
16. Any decision to premiere the show any later than the day we delivered the premiere episode in March is on the network. They have schedules, budgets, promotional concerns, etc. to juggle, and we are not their only show.

So, in closing:

1. We're sorry.
2. Suck it up.

JP

With all of that out of the way, I think we can reasonably have a sixth season by early 2015.

If they wrap the hour premiere first, they could start airing the new batch of installments when they're far enough into the production process. This could mean a late 2014 premiere, but I wouldn't bet on this just yet. We'll have see how the writing and pre-production process fares.

Jackson offered a reply to a user on his Livejournal back in May as an explanation for why it took so long for Season V to premiere.
Likewise, though you were no doubt raised on a steady diet of regularly scheduled, annually punctual television series, I will bet you dollars to cream-filled donuts that 99.9% of them were not written by only two guys. Nor were either of those guys the sole director, executive producer, art director, editor, graphic designer, motion graphics designer, or half of the cast. The guy writing "FADE IN:" on day one was probably NOT the same guy sitting at the final sound mix on day 370 as the credits rolled, after working 12-16 hours a day, 7 days a week, for months on end with no break.

Have the thought of I don't know... HIRING MORE FREAKING PEOPLE, EVER OCCURRED TO THEM?

They don't want to give up control and frankly don't have the budget to increase staff. For as passionate as we are about TVB, you've got to remember how niche it is.

the sense of entitlement is STRONG in this thread.
the 2 guys do everything on the show and before the renewal it did NOT look good for renewal, so suck it up that we have a future with them.
ENJOY the fact that their vision will not be diluted but ENDURE the wait for the new content.
Go Team Venture!

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
That's some pretty insightful stuff. I didn't realize things were going that way.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Have the thought of I don't know... HIRING MORE FREAKING PEOPLE, EVER OCCURRED TO THEM?

I highly doubt Publick and Hammer are being paid the regular industry equivalent salaries for doing all those different jobs with those long hours.

Look, it sucks, but these are the circumstances that allow us to get the show at all, at least with the production values we now get.

Peco

I finally managed to watch the first 3 episodes of season 5 this morning and yeah... Hatred's tits make me uncomfortable as hell. Something I've never experienced in S4. Some awkward shit.
Even more if I think that he's a genetically mutated pedophile.

jstripes

Banned
The last episode was okay, but it felt a bit boring/uninteresting.

Peter White and Billy Quizboy really, really, really drag the show down. Especially since they started putting more focus on the two of them last season. It's even worse this season with that St. Cloud guy "arching" them.

kirblar

I finally managed to watch the first 3 episodes of season 5 this morning and yeah... Hatred's tits make me uncomfortable as hell. Something I've never experienced in S4. Some awkward shit.
Even more if I think that he's a genetically mutated pedophile.
But how does "Sexy Destiny Dean" make you feel. :p

Peco

But how does "Sexy Destiny Dean" make you feel. :p

bvEo607.png

Peter White and Billy Quizboy really, really, really drag the show down. Especially since they started putting more focus on the two of them last season. It's even worse this season with that St. Cloud guy "arching" them.

I like them both, but they're still in the realm of being secondary characters, at best. I don't care about them like I do the rest of the cast. I'd rather see more Orpheus and crew, if anything.

St. Cloud is awesome, though.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member

I completely disagree about Pete and Billy. I love those characters and that they're getting more screen time than before.

I do think St. Cloud needs fleshing out, but time will tell what becomes of him.

B.K.

Billy and Pete aren't the problem. St. Cloud is. He's easily the worst character on the show.

Sapiens

I'm on the opposite of you on that. Love those characters, love White's new romantic getup and I think St Cloud is hilarious.

I really can't wait to see where this Albino Code stuff takes us.

Biggest laugh of last ep was when White's hair started on fire just as Quizboy saved him.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Billy and Pete aren't the problem. St. Cloud is. He's easily the worst character on the show.

Whaaat? This is crazy talk. St. Cloud is great. He could use a rest, though. I think if we see him just one more time toward the end of this season that would be enough.

Sneak peak from this Sunday's O.S.I. Love You:
http://video.adultswim.com/the-ventu...-love-you.html
The fact that
Hank is STILL in the Destiny power suit
is too amazing. :lol

Tizoc

Just watched eps. 1-4, had a freakin' blast and loved them!
Anyone else notice how the episodes are more...'happy ending'-ish?
I was expecting Rusty to fuck up and just end up killing all the interns, but it's good to see they were healed back to normal.
In ep. 2, I suspected URGH to be all killed off...and why the fuck can't I remember Venturstein?
Ep. 3 had a good end for Gary so hope it all ties up well for him.
I guess in Ep. 4, the payback was in the form of...all that money? Where'd it come from, did St. Cloud bring it with him?

Really liking Dean's new characterization, when he was burning his stuff, I was all 'Dean, what're you doing?! DEAN, DUDE!" Really liking him manning up but hope he gets over this phase.

Hank is hilarious more so than he should be. Still love the Monarch and Dr. Mrs./Mrs. Dr. Monarch relationship, and gatdayum she's still the hottest character in the show.
The Rocky scene killed me XD.

edit: Oh and Rusty is such a freakin' loser, but was glad to see him have fun during Ep. 4.

Just watched eps. 1-4, had a freakin' blast and loved them!
Anyone else notice how the episodes are more...'happy ending'-ish?
I was expecting Rusty to fuck up and just end up killing all the interns, but it's good to see they were healed back to normal.
In ep. 2, I suspected URGH to be all killed off...and why the fuck can't I remember Venturstein?
Ep. 3 had a good end for Gary so hope it all ties up well for him.
I guess in Ep. 4, the payback was in the form of...all that money? Where'd it come from, did St. Cloud bring it with him?

Really liking Dean's new characterization, when he was burning his stuff, I was all 'Dean, what're you doing?! DEAN, DUDE!" Really liking him manning up but hope he gets over this phase.

Hank is hilarious more so than he should be. Still love the Monarch and Dr. Mrs./Mrs. Dr. Monarch relationship, and gatdayum she's still the hottest character in the show.
The Rocky scene killed me XD.

edit: Oh and Rusty is such a freakin' loser, but was glad to see him have fun during Ep. 4.

Venturestein is from "Viva Los Muertos!" in late season 2.
All but one of the Green interns did end up dying by being eaten by the Orange suits. So it wasn't totally a happy ending.
St. Cloud is like some heir to a fortune. That's were he get's all his money.

Tizoc

Venturestein is from "Viva Los Muertos!" in late season 2.
All but one of the Green interns did end up dying by being eaten by the Orange suits. So it wasn't totally a happy ending.
St. Cloud is like some heir to a fortune. That's were he get's all his money.

I counted the green guy surviving as part of the 'happy ending' I mean come on we all thought he'd die lol.
I am aware of St. Cloud's fortune, I meant how did the people on the Greek Island get all that money? Was that from St. Cloud?

I counted the green guy surviving as part of the 'happy ending' I mean come on we all thought he'd die lol.
I am aware of St. Cloud's fortune, I meant how did the people on the Greek Island get all that money? Was that from St. Cloud?

Some of it was from Dr. Venture visiting every year, the last batch of it was when they sold the holiday to St. Cloud

Tizoc

Some of it was from Dr. Venture visiting every year, the last batch of it was when they sold the holiday to St. Cloud

Aha gotcha thanks.
Well it's good to see they got their revenge and Rusty is enjoying himself, a win-win situation.

Looking forward to the next eps., sad that they're be a total of 4 remaining, but I expect them to be quite entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom