• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verizon Droid X by Motorola |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Bad_Boy said:
droid 2 > droid 1 > droid x

thats IF droid 2 doesnt have that self exploding 007 protection

Completely off topic but I love your avatar. I used my phone's barcode scanner for that... lol.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Deadly Cyclone said:
How is the Droid X behind the Droid 1? I love it so far.

Probably the lack of modding and the lack of love for Blur. I love Blur, and I wouldn't mind not being able to mod, so I would put the Droid ahead of both the 1 + 2, but I'm not a VZ customer.

gcubed

Bad_Boy said:

they are running the same internals, so you can bet your ass the droid 2 will have the same protection

Paznos

gcubed said:
they are running the same internals, so you can bet your ass the droid 2 will have the same protection
Exactly, The only differeneces between the Droid 2 and Droid X are

Droid 2
5mp camera
3.7" screen
Physical keyboard

The rest of the insides are supposedly the same as the Droid X.

krzy123

I think someone had posted in another thread that the protection might be the same one found in the milestone (non-us driod), i think thats been rooted now, it just took longer.

ill wait until the modders start getting units.

345triangle said:
i don't want to say this sounds like a big deal because i'm an iphone user and really am not interested in starting a forum civil war, but...this kind of sounds like a big deal? considering all the reviews say how much the custom OS thing sucks and how everywhere else says how awesome android 2.2 is, wouldn't a lot of people want to change the software on their "open" phone? it seems like it's taking away one of the major reasons people would want an android phone in the first place.
depending on how Google and its partners handle gingerbred (the next iteration of the Anrdoid OS after Froyo) this could be a non issue. In terms of how Moto Blur sucks and gingerbread is supposed to make the UI experience beyond amazing.

HeySeuss

My wife is getting this phone. I have an Incredible so I'll post some vs comparisons when she gets it.

I'm not sure from playing around with the demo unit in the store if I like it better than mine but we shall see. She's supposed to get it Tuesday.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
DMeisterJ said:
Completely off topic but I love your avatar. I used my phone's barcode scanner for that... lol.
:D thanks

Deadly Cyclone said:
How is the Droid X behind the Droid 1? I love it so far.
no keyboard, no modding supposedly.

im rooted to 1.1ghz with my droid 1.
gcubed said:
:/ that sucks

harSon

Banned
I'm not really up to date with phones but my friend purchased one yesterday and the thing seemed extremely large...

Paznos

harSon said:
I'm not really up to date with phones but my friend purchased one yesterday and the thing seemed extremely large...
I held a demo unit earlier in the week and thought it just the right size and wasn't that big at all, was actually surprised how well it fit into my hands.

My phone is out for Delivery! didn't think I'd actually get it til Monday but looks like today will be the day :D

DeadGzuz

Banned
My X has locked up twice now, when not being used. I come back to use it and cannot get it to turn on. Once the power button worked to reboot, the second time i had to take the battery out. Is it possible an app is doing this or is mine a lemon?

It also seemed to start when BT was turned on.

SolidC213

Deadly Cyclone said:
Similar specs I believe, the Droid 2 keeps the keyboard though. That is the main reason to push both out in close proximity.

Dammit I sure wish you wouldn't have wrote that. I think I'm going to wait for that one to come out instead then. I really had no idea one with a keyboard was coming out so soon. Regular keyboard >>>>> touch screen for me.
Is there anywhere that has the specs and pics of the Droid 2?

Edit:
http://gizmodo.com/5560566/motorola-droid-2-specs-and-photos-leak
Droid 2's guts:
-Android 2.1 (unless Verizon pumps out a last minute 2.2 update to it)
-3.7″ screen
-750MHz OMAP processor
-Wi-Fi tethering
-8GB internal
-8GB SD card preinstalled
-Updated keyboard
-5MP camera
-New version of Motoblur
-No HDMI port
-No front facing camera

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Why are all Droid phones so ugly? I don't think I've ever seen a good looking android phone
the specs are crazy but gonna stick with my HTC HD2 you can do anything with Windows Mobile 6.5

SolidC213 said:
Dammit I sure wish you wouldn't have wrote that. I think I'm going to wait for that one to come out instead then. I really had no idea one with a keyboard was coming out so soon. Regular keyboard >>>>> touch screen for me.
Is there anywhere that has the specs and pics of the Droid 2?

Edit:
http://gizmodo.com/5560566/motorola-droid-2-specs-and-photos-leak
I thought they bumped the processor up to 1GHz? There are so many conflicting reports on the Droid 2 it isnt even funny. The only common thing is no front camera and redone keyboard.

Pctx

Banned
Bad_Boy said:

Coming from the "must have physical keyboard crowd" I take it?

Played with a Verizon Rep's DX last night and saying the D2 > DX is a joke considering the only difference is smaller screen + physical keyboard. Love how opinion or bias seems to be represented as fact.

Paznos

PhoncipleBone said:
I thought they bumped the processor up to 1GHz? There are so many conflicting reports on the Droid 2 it isnt even funny. The only common thing is no front camera and redone keyboard.
People also thought the Droid X had a 720-750Mhz processor at first because they were basing it off wikipedia info, I still think the internals are the same as the Droid X, cept for the camera and screen size of course.

SpecX

My wife wants to get me a droid phone by the end of this month and is looking into this one. Is this the best, better than the Incredible, or is this Droid 2 going to be even better. I'd hate to let her spend now for something that will be much better in a month or 2.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm waiting to get mine on Monday. I ordered the Incredible shortly after launch and had reception problems (Poor ear piece). I had it replaced with a new one that took forever to ship and this one has the same problems so I'm getting it replaced with the Droid X.

scoobs

My contract expires at the end of August so I've started researching now for my new smart phone. Went to Sprint to check out the Evo and its so cheap that I'm tempted and 4G is going to be in my town by this fall. Also went to Verizon and played around w/ the DroidX and it was about $8 more expensive monthly but the screen is beauuutifulll. Can't decide... any advice?

tokkun

krzy123 said:
Engadget went to Moto to ask about eFuse:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/16/motorola-responds-to-droid-x-bootloader-controversy-says-efuse/

basically, it doesn't brick your phone, just makes harder for modders/hackers to boot alternative firmware. I'm sure those guys will figure it out though.
I wouldn't be so sure. Isn't the Milestone's bootloader still uncracked? And that's been out for more than half a year, and it sounds like the Droid X security is even more thorough.

Wrekt

SpecX said:
notreading.gif
There we go.

Paznos said:
People also thought the Droid X had a 720-750Mhz processor at first because they were basing it off wikipedia info, I still think the internals are the same as the Droid X, cept for the camera and screen size of course.
That was my impression as well. I am waiting for official specs on the Droid 2. I like the hardware keyboard, but really like the HD video recording of the X.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Posting from mine right now. Really like it so far, will post detailed impressions when i get home from work later.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Pctx said:
Coming from the "must have physical keyboard crowd" I take it?
My last phone was a LG Dare, so no. :lol But after having a keyboard on the Droid, I will never go back.

Pctx said:
Played with a Verizon Rep's DX last night and saying the D2 > DX is a joke considering the only difference is smaller screen + physical keyboard. Love how opinion or bias seems to be represented as fact.
This is a forum, i never stated my opinion as fact. But subjectively, the ability to root makes droid 1 still the top dog out of motorola's lineup. Personally I think the Dx is cool, but it's missing stuff to make me jump.

At the end of the day, we are all android. Be happy. :D

scoobs

The screen is what really sold me on it, its absolutely gorgeous. It pops out at me more than the Evo's did when i was comparing them. I think I'm gonna go with the DX

hermit7

PhoncipleBone said:
That was my impression as well. I am waiting for official specs on the Droid 2. I like the hardware keyboard, but really like the HD video recording of the X.

Verizon lists the Droid 2 as having a 1ghz processor on its summer release pamphlet.

Here is a link

TxdoHawk

Just got back from the Verizon store, where I played with one. Really, really sexy. I'm another guy who loves his physical keyboard though, and I'm hesitant to hop on a new Android handset when rumors of Android 3.0 are already swirling.

Panda1

Banned
ShirAhava said:
Why are all Droid phones so ugly? I don't think I've ever seen a good looking android phone
the specs are crazy but gonna stick with my HTC HD2 you can do anything with Windows Mobile 6.5

Is this the joke post of the day??

The droid x is just a screen with a black border around it?
Windows Mobile 6.5 - it can do anything :lol :lol :lol

No HD video recording for Droid 2. Of course, it doesnt say that about the Incredible either, but that was added through a firmware update. So there is still hope.

Oozer3993

DrForester said:
Got original droid, and am kind of glad I can't upgrade to this yet nice as it seems. I hate that little hump where the camera is.

The hump feels far smaller in your hand than it looks in pictures. I barely even notice it.

I got one yesterday and I'm loving it so far. The screen may be big, but it is very sharp.

Oozer3993 said:
The hump feels far smaller in your hand than it looks in pictures. I barely even notice it.

I got one yesterday and I'm loving it so far. The screen may be big, but it is very sharp.
I played with it in the store, and the hump is not very noticeable when holding the phone.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Still having wifi issues with the phone. It will connect top my router fine but will not get internet. When it does work it cuts out a ton. My laptop is right there and has no issues.

Looks like some others are having similar issues, maybe a patch will fix it.

Phone looks nice as hell. I've got the Evo on Sprint, but it's good to see these monster spec'd phones come out. That much better for app development!

oatmeal

Banned
I got it for my wife yesterday.

It's a beautiful phone, but she's having severe battery issues. With all of the reviews saying the battery life is so good, I have to believe she got a dud. She had to charge it 2 times yesterday and didn't talk on it or surf the web much at all. Played some games, but whatever.

Task killer kept everything clean, too. Brightness is around 20-30%.

So yeah, we're giving it another day, if it continues to act a fool, we are going to swap batteries.

DMeisterJ

Banned
oatmeal said:
I got it for my wife yesterday.

It's a beautiful phone, but she's having severe battery issues. With all of the reviews saying the battery life is so good, I have to believe she got a dud. She had to charge it 2 times yesterday and didn't talk on it or surf the web much at all. Played some games, but whatever.

Task killer kept everything clean, too. Brightness is around 20-30%.

So yeah, we're giving it another day, if it continues to act a fool, we are going to swap batteries.

Does she have the Blur stuff enabled? All of the pushing of status updates, messages and the like does take a toll on battery life, apparently.

MrFortyFive

Got mine today. Loving it so far, and I don't think I'll be able to go back to a smaller screen very easily. Having all that space is REALLY nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom