• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verizon Droid X by Motorola |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SolidC213 said:
Droid 2's guts:
-Android 2.1 (unless Verizon pumps out a last minute 2.2 update to it)
-750MHz OMAP processor
-5MP camera
-New version of Motoblur
-No HDMI port
-No front facing camera

I gotta admit, that's really unappealing.

Oozer3993

Andrex said:
I gotta admit, that's really unappealing.

Those specs aren't quite right. It actually has the same 1 GHz processor the X does and I'm pretty sure it will launch with Froyo.

purg3 said:
Looks like a sw update is coming starting 7/19 that will include some enhancements/fixes

Do you know what enhancements/fixes? And is it the .604 update that went out to review units a couple days ago? Because I'm on .516.

P.S. Motorola's Marketing Director has shot down the eFuse rumors on the company's Facebook:

James King said:
Regarding e-Fuse. References to dynamite, explosions, booby traps…really?? Please….Everyone is fully versed in our policy over Bootloader access, but eFuse is the same as on Milestone and is not loaded with the purpose of preventing a consumer device from functioning, but rather ensuring for the user that the device only runs on updated and tested versions of software. If a device attempts to boot with unapproved software, it will go into recovery mode, and can re-boot once approved software is re-installed. Checking for a valid software configuration is a common practice within the industry to protect the user against potential malicious software threats. As expressed before, and that have circulated in the past, malware, hacks and various nefarious situations for owners and companies will likely to become increasingly common for smartphones as has been seen in computers, and at Motorola we have a duty to the widest consumer base and businesses to ensure we have done everything we can do to protect. JK

Oozer3993 said:
Those specs aren't quite right. It actually has the same 1 GHz processor the X does and I'm pretty sure it will launch with Froyo.

Do you know what enhancements/fixes? And is it the .604 update that went out to review units a couple days ago? Because I'm on .516.

P.S. Motorola's Marketing Director has shot down the eFuse rumors on the company's Facebook:
It was said to launch with Froyo. Should be good. Like I said before, I want HD video recording too. Front cam would be nice, but that ain't coming.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah but even at 1 GHz it's that OMAP processor, not Snapgradon... then again I could be the victim of marketing hype. And even if it launches with Froyo, it's hidden underneath Motoblur. :/

giga

Andrex said:
Yeah but even at 1 GHz it's that OMAP processor, not Snapgradon... then again I could be the victim of marketing hype. And even if it launches with Froyo, it's hidden underneath Motoblur. :/
OMAP3640 > QSD8250. Many Droid X benchmarks out there show its the new performance leader after the Galaxy S (which has a better GPU).

Thaedolus

So I'm thinking I might just up and pay the ETF for my contract (which should be around 110-120 I think...I got my Storm (lulz) a year ago) and get the Droid X with the contract price. Seems more reasonable than dropping close to 600 for it. Thoughts?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
giga said:
OMAP3640 > QSD8250. Many Droid X benchmarks out there show its the new performance leader after the Galaxy S (which has a better GPU).

Ah OK, that solves the CPU then.

Other than that though, it seems to be Verizon's counterpart to the MyTouch Slide.

Played with it alittle today. Motorblur is a mess. I had no idea what the hell was going on. As a media device, the thing is a beast. As a phone, eh.....not so much. Screen is very nice looking. If I had one I would definitely be watching videos on it all day. Not big on the hard buttons on the bottom. Wish I had played around with the camera a bit, but I forgot.

bathala

Banned
11hrs + finally got the battery warning.

did some surfing, Pandroa, SlingPlayer (with PiP option still smooth), regular music, news RSS, texting, and email.

2.5 hrs didn't use when I saw Inception (great movie).

EDIT: also running the Water Live Wallpaper of Galaxy S all day

I received my Droid X in the mail today! I'm upgrading to this from an original Droid, which is then going to my wife.

A few impressions:

Pros
- That screen! It's been said by everybody else, but this thing is gorgeous.
- The size. I'd say my hands are average sized and the phone fits comfortably.
- Snappiness. It just feels more responsive than the first Droid.

Cons
- Motorola replaced the stock 2.1 Gallery with a crappy version. I don't see why they would have changed it.
- They also took away my stock news + weather app.
- Verizon has some sort of backup sync thing preinstalled, and doesn't let me uninstall it. Why the hell would I want them to backup my contacts and Gmail account when Google stores my life in the cloud anyway?

Overall, it's an awesome device! It's just going to take some getting used to.

Does anyone know if I can just install an APK for the missing gallery or widget?

Verizon's Backup assistant is more of an easy way to get your contacts from your old phone to your new Droid X. The lack of an uninstall option is probably there due to the number of people who come into stores with a locked Droid phone and no memory of their Google account info. With backup assistant Verizon has an easy way to get the contacts back.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Going to get one as soon as I can try it out somewhere.
It's not so much the price of the phone, but the 2 year contract.
Any idea when stores will have them to try out?

Suikoguy said:

Verizon stores have them out now.

nomster

Posting from mine. Love this thing so far. It is ginormous, but hasn't been too obtrusive in my pocket. As others have said the hump is way less noticable in practice. So what are he must have apps?

bathala

Banned
Suikoguy said:
I went with 1yr contract on my local VZW for 279

Captain Blood said:
So what kind of cases did all of you fellow droid xers pick up for your new phone?
got the regular silicone case from VZW and the kickstand (lame)

gonna wait for seidio active case

bathala said:
got the regular silicone case from VZW and the kickstand (lame)
gonna wait for seidio active case
Yea I was about the get the regular silicone one but thought I would be able to find something better online for the same price.

oatmeal

Banned
Question about Android in general (I think)...

On my wife's phone, after using it for a little bit, I check Task Killer and TONS of shit is opened. Apps she's never opened, but the list fills up quick.

Why is that? It's really annoying.

And every time I close Task Killer, Voice Commander or whatever opens. I can kill it, re-open task killer, and it'll be open again.

WTF?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Tasks Killers are worthless.

Android apps are coded to take advantage of other programs using Intents. It's why if you add like a Twitter program, an option to share on Twitter will be added to the Gallery's share option. Sometimes this means that other services may be launched with an application, but it's nothing to worry about. Let Android manage things and forget about it.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Really enjoying the phone after playing around with it all day at work. Put on launcher pro and got the beautiful widget pack, so it's looking pretty nice. Just need to find some better wallpapers.

Battery hasn't been too much of an issue, downloaded a bunch of shit and did some web browsing and the battery seemed to hold up ok for me.

edit: quick pic.
kpKyO.jpg

womp

JLateralus said:
I received my Droid X in the mail today! I'm upgrading to this from an original Droid, which is then going to my wife.

A few impressions:

Pros
- That screen! It's been said by everybody else, but this thing is gorgeous.
- The size. I'd say my hands are average sized and the phone fits comfortably.
- Snappiness. It just feels more responsive than the first Droid.

Cons
- Motorola replaced the stock 2.1 Gallery with a crappy version. I don't see why they would have changed it.
- They also took away my stock news + weather app.

- Verizon has some sort of backup sync thing preinstalled, and doesn't let me uninstall it. Why the hell would I want them to backup my contacts and Gmail account when Google stores my life in the cloud anyway?

Overall, it's an awesome device! It's just going to take some getting used to.

Does anyone know if I can just install an APK for the missing gallery or widget?

Yep. Trust me, the Picasa gallery and Google News & Weather widget going missing seriously pissed me off last night after I finally sat down and activated the X. I was furious because that was one of the killer features for Android for me when I got my Droid and now they took it away? F U Moto!

No worries though my friend, I manually installed both .apk's a few minutes later and everything is right again. :D

Gallery looks freaking GORGEOUS on this screen!

I can post you some links to the .apk's I used tonight when I get home from work.

womp said:
Yep. Trust me, the Picasa gallery and Google News & Weather widget going missing seriously pissed me off last night after I finally sat down and activated the X. I was furious because that was one of the killer features for Android for me when I got my Droid and now they took it away? F U Moto!

No worries though my friend, I manually installed both .apk's a few minutes later and everything is right again. :D

Gallery looks freaking GORGEOUS on this screen!

I can post you some links to the .apk's I used tonight when I get home from work.
Yes could you please post those - complete Android newbie over so a brief walkthrough would be appreciated too. :D

Also purg3, how did you get that HTC type clock? I have Beautiful Widgets installed but I don't see that one anywhere. *Nevermind* found out you could download skins for it.

womp

striKeVillain! said:
Yes could you please post those - complete Android newbie over so a brief walkthrough would be appreciated too. :D

Also purg3, how did you get that HTC type clock? I have Beautiful Widgets installed but I don't see that one anywhere. *Nevermind* found out you could download skins for it.

Unfortunately I have to work all day here and I am horribly firewalled. For some reason NeoGAF works fine. :D

No worries, I'll hook you guys up.

I really have no clue why Motorola removed these, especially since they were two of the main ingredients of Android. All I can think of is that they want you to use their horrific blur widgets and apps... Sorry Moto, they suck. The Picasa account only allows uploading of pics and their news and weather widgets are gaudy as all hell.

No thanks.

I have just spent the past hour making my X look identical to my beloved Droid and I am eternally grateful Launcher Pro is around to help.

nomster

Question for android vets. After using the browser on the x for a little while it stops allowing me to "pinch" to zoom and zoom out and just picks a width for a site. Is there a way to disable that?

womp

nomster said:
Question for android vets. After using the browser on the x for a little while it stops allowing me to "pinch" to zoom and zoom out and just picks a width for a site. Is there a way to disable that?

Are you sure you aren't viewing a native mobile site when that happens? It won't allow pinch and zoom on them, works the same on an iPhone as well if I am not mistaken.

krzy123

The only weird thing about the Droid 2 is that it only has a 8gig microSD card, but for regular Droid owners like myself its not a big deal since I can just swap my 16gig from the OG droid right in :D .

striKeVillain! said:

Here is the Gallery APK that I found (forum registration required):
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=712553

Here is the Genie (News and Weather Widget) that I found (forum registration required too):
http://androidforums.com/tips-tricks-incredible/84371-nexus-one-news-genie-widget-apk-inside.html

What you'll do is download each of these APK files. You then connect your phone to your PC via USB cable, and select USB Mass Storage connection mode on your phone.

This should bring up a drive on your PC for your installed SD card, as if you connected a flash drive or usb hard drive. Copy these two APK files over to your SD card and then disconnect the phone. You can use the built in "Files" app to find the files you put onto your sd card and install!

womp

JLateralus said:
Here is the Gallery APK that I found (forum registration required):
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=712553

Here is the Genie (News and Weather Widget) that I found (forum registration required too):
http://androidforums.com/tips-tricks-incredible/84371-nexus-one-news-genie-widget-apk-inside.html

What you'll do is download each of these APK files. You then connect your phone to your PC via USB cable, and select USB Mass Storage connection mode on your phone.

This should bring up a drive on your PC for your installed SD card, as if you connected a flash drive or usb hard drive. Copy these two APK files over to your SD card and then disconnect the phone. You can use the built in "Files" app to find the files you put onto your sd card and install!

No need to do half those steps.

I have direct links...All you need to do is load those links into your Droid's browser and install them directly on your phone via the browser. NO PC is needed and it literally takes 30 seconds. When they finish downloading Android will prompt you to install and finish all within the phone. Hell, I haven't plugged a Droid into my PC in 7 months. hehe.

I'll be home in a couple hours...Hang tight! :D

womp

OK...as promised...

Copy these links one at a time into your Droid web browser.

Google News & Weather widget:

http://tinyurl.com/22wv3ws

Google Gallery with multi-touch:

http://tinyurl.com/24pkjcg

Install instantly. Be happy.

No other steps required.

I also recommend (And purchasing the Pro version) ASTRO file manager.

The Google Gallery syncs with your Picasa web albums and is a killer app to me...Having it removed by Motorola senselessly made me mental. Be aware, it takes time to populate.

nomster

Fatalah said:
I'm looking for a widget that does this:

[xIMG]http://pocketnow.com/html/portal/news/0000009866//HD2_people.jpg[/IMG]

Help?
Doesn't the stock moto blur on the x basically do that?

Fatalah

nomster said:
Doesn't the stock moto blur on the x basically do that?

Oh, this is for my friend's original Droid. I thought this thread was doing better than the Android Software thread :-D

Paznos

Anyone use Google Voice exclusively for their text messages? Was thinking about doing this if it's a good alternative.

I can't put this phone down! I can't believe how long I've gone without having a smartphone Awesome phone.

DeadGzuz

Banned
DeadGzuz said:
My X has locked up twice now, when not being used. I come back to use it and cannot get it to turn on. Once the power button worked to reboot, the second time i had to take the battery out. Is it possible an app is doing this or is mine a lemon?

It also seemed to start when BT was turned on.

Update: I think it was the Task killing app, it was set to auto and killing everything on screen power down. I got rid of it and it acts fine now. I'm hoping this was it. Nice phone, screen kicks ass.

DeadGzuz

Banned
womp said:
The Google Gallery syncs with your Picasa web albums and is a killer app to me...Having it removed by Motorola senselessly made me mental. Be aware, it takes time to populate.

But it cannot see your pics on Picasa right? The only app I found so far, which is pretty good, is "JustPictures". BTW is there a way to get rid of widgets? The giant slide show one on the second page to the right of Home is useless.

BTW when I DLed those apps, I had to manually create shortcuts, is that right?

purg3

slept with Malkin
stopped in my local vzw store to get a case, didn't really have much to choose from so I didn't get anything. I'll probably just look for something online. Anyone who purchased a case with theirs mind posting a pic? Trying to find something that won't make the phone bulkier than it already is.

womp

DeadGzuz said:
But it cannot see your pics on Picasa right? The only app I found so far, which is pretty good, is "JustPictures". BTW is there a way to get rid of widgets? The giant slide show one on the second page to the right of Home is useless.

BTW when I DLed those apps, I had to manually create shortcuts, is that right?

Yes, it allows you to view your entire Picasa web album collection on your Droid phone via the cloud. That is what makes it so great. :)

Manually create shortcuts? Just hold and drag an app from your tray to the home screen.

You can delete widgets by holding and dragging them down to the trash can.

Paznos said:
Anyone use Google Voice exclusively for their text messages? Was thinking about doing this if it's a good alternative.

I can't put this phone down! I can't believe how long I've gone without having a smartphone Awesome phone.

I use GV for people who aren't on verizon, to help avoid my 500 message limit. It works well, just make sure that you turn on the sync option in Google Voice (why is this not on by default?).

The only caveat is that you have to be connected to data, whereas with a regular text you only need to be connected to cell signal. Might be an issue if your data connection is spotty anywhere.

womp said:
Yes, it allows you to view your entire Picasa web album collection on your Droid phone via the cloud. That is what makes it so great. :)

And yes... this is why I flipped out when I realized it wasn't installed on the phone. Having instant access to all of my images stored in Picasaweb is amazing! I can't recommend this app enough if you have anything stored there.

purg3

slept with Malkin
womp said:
OK...as promised...

Copy these links one at a time into your Droid web browser.

Google News & Weather widget:

http://tinyurl.com/22wv3ws

just did this, much appreciated!

also, looking for a good widget that keeps track of available memory for internal and sd card. so far I've downloaded mini info, anyone know of a better option?

Paznos

JLateralus said:
I use GV for people who aren't on verizon, to help avoid my 500 message limit. It works well, just make sure that you turn on the sync option in Google Voice (why is this not on by default?).

The only caveat is that you have to be connected to data, whereas with a regular text you only need to be connected to cell signal. Might be an issue if your data connection is spotty anywhere.
Cool Thanks for the info, if I'm using GV do I have to use the GV app or can I use another app like handcent?

Paznos said:
Cool Thanks for the info, if I'm using GV do I have to use the GV app or can I use another app like handcent?

I use the GV app, and as far as I know Handcent still doesn't work with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom