• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verizon Droid X by Motorola |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
purg3 said:
stopped in my local vzw store to get a case, didn't really have much to choose from so I didn't get anything. I'll probably just look for something online. Anyone who purchased a case with theirs mind posting a pic? Trying to find something that won't make the phone bulkier than it already is.
Yup I am in the same boat, I wasn't a huge fan of the cases at the verizon store so am hoping to find a good alternative online.

womp

As someone who hates the Motoblur UI...

NOu5u.png

Back to looking like my Droid. :D

JayDub

This phone is so much sex.

Anyways, girls considering this phone, and itll be her first time using Android. Could someone who switched from the iPhone let me know some of the small and big differences? Stuff she'll miss, stuff she'll appreciate, stuff thats different?

womp

Deadly Cyclone said:
How do you get 5 rows for widgets/icons?

It's an option of Launcher Pro. It looks jumbled in landscape mode but I don't use the home screen in landscape mode anyway. :)

DeadGzuz

Banned
womp said:
Yes, it allows you to view your entire Picasa web album collection on your Droid phone via the cloud. That is what makes it so great. :)

I saw that it worked later, I think it was asking for permission in the background. The Facebook integration is kind of ghetto though, it launches a browser unlike JustPictures.

Manually create shortcuts? Just hold and drag an app from your tray to the home screen.

I DLed those apps from your links in Opera. After the install they didn't seem to show anywhere, so I made a shortcut for each.

You can delete widgets by holding and dragging them down to the trash can.

That works for the half-screen widgets and not just the app short cuts? Cool.

Anyone know how I can make the phone music app see the Amazon song I DLed? I can see and play it when I browse files, but it never shows in the mp3 player.

womp

Opera? Just use the default browser on the Droid and you can select them from the download screen. Install ASTRO file manager and try it again.

purg3

slept with Malkin
JayDub said:
This phone is so much sex.

Anyways, girls considering this phone, and itll be her first time using Android. Could someone who switched from the iPhone let me know some of the small and big differences? Stuff she'll miss, stuff she'll appreciate, stuff thats different?

I went from an iphone OG to a 3GS to the Droid X, so I've been using an iphone for the past couple of years. Obviously one of the big differences is the size of the phone. Software wise, once I got the phone set up the way I wanted it, I don't think I could go back. Just being able to customize everything is huge. Also most of the apps I used on the iphone have a droid version or similar options. Overall it was a fairly smooth transition I guess.

Petrie

Banned
NightHawk17 said:
im thinking about using launcher pro, do i need to do a backup or anything? and will i still have 7 home screens?

Can I ask what people do that they actually need 7 home screens?

purg3

slept with Malkin
NightHawk17 said:
im thinking about using launcher pro, do i need to do a backup or anything? and will i still have 7 home screens?

you can set the number of home screens in the launcher pro preferences. You don't have to back anything up, but you will need to re add your widgets and shit.

Petrie said:
Can I ask what people do that they actually need 7 home screens?
I dont really need 7 maybe 4 or 5, just wanted to know if the option was there.
purg3 said:
you can set the number of home screens in the launcher pro preferences. You don't have to back anything up, but you will need to re add your widgets and shit.
thanks, could you tell me how to get the widget for weather/news that you have in this pic

kpKyO.jpg

I love the Droid X. The UI is a little much in it's "Droid-ness" and I missed the chrome bezel of the Droid when I played with it, but I don't mind the buttons and love everything about it from the size to the surprisingly slim profile. I would want an even bigger screen to be honest.

Enjoy your Droid Xs!

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Thaedolus said:
So I'm thinking I might just up and pay the ETF for my contract (which should be around 110-120 I think...I got my Storm (lulz) a year ago) and get the Droid X with the contract price. Seems more reasonable than dropping close to 600 for it. Thoughts?
I was in the same boat, Storm and all. If you are the main line on the contract you can reup on a 2 year plan after 12 months with no penalties. I did this online on Thursday with
no issues.

Lamel

Banned
That is a pretty sexy phone not gonna lie :eek: I have always wondered this, does this phone have a music player? Or apps for music playback?

Saadster said:
That is a pretty sexy phone not gonna lie :eek: I have always wondered this, does this phone have a music player? Or apps for music playback?
I think every smartphone does. :lol The Droid X comes with a stock app, and the Android Market has plenty of selection of alternative music apps.

bosskoss21 said:
should i buy this phone?
I don't know. Should you?

Zozz

Banned
Saadster said:
Ofcourse :lol :lol but it just shows that Google and others need to show off these capabilities to people because people love music and these phones are not perceived as much of music players as one would think of an iPhone(iPod duh).

There are so many options on the Market that let me choose the players, there are some incredible ones out there, that make the stock players look like shit.

scoobs

Lambtron said:
I was in the same boat, Storm and all. If you are the main line on the contract you can reup on a 2 year plan after 12 months with no penalties. I did this online on Thursday with
no issues.
I have the storm as well, my contract is up in 1 month. What exactly did you do to get the droid and what did it cost you? Mind filling in a nooby?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
scoobs said:
I have the storm as well, my contract is up in 1 month. What exactly did you do to get the droid and what did it cost you? Mind filling in a nooby?
If you log into My Verizon, you should have a button that says "Upgrade Device." As long as you're eligible, you will see new two year contract pricing. Just order the phone there, pick your new contract options, and they'll mail you the phone.

I opened mine this morning when I got back into town, it's so gorgeous. The darn thing wouldn't activate when I called the number and I have no clue why. I will sort that out tonight. Just the 30 seconds I spent using it made going back to my Storm today paiiiinful. :(

So I'm trying to help my friend go Android on Verizon, and what I really need to know is: Incredible versus Droid X?

How about in regards to battery life?

Mr. Wonderful said:
So I'm trying to help my friend go Android on Verizon, and what I really need to know is: Incredible versus Droid X?

Droid X on all counts unless Sense means something to you.

scoobs

Lambtron said:
If you log into My Verizon, you should have a button that says "Upgrade Device." As long as you're eligible, you will see new two year contract pricing. Just order the phone there, pick your new contract options, and they'll mail you the phone.

I opened mine this morning when I got back into town, it's so gorgeous. The darn thing wouldn't activate when I called the number and I have no clue why. I will sort that out tonight. Just the 30 seconds I spent using it made going back to my Storm today paiiiinful. :(
Oh ok well it says my "new every two" is up in 1 month so that means I can't do this til the end of august?

Paznos

scoobs said:
Oh ok well it says my "new every two" is up in 1 month so that means I can't do this til the end of august?
As long as your contract ends this year you can upgrade early to the Droid X or to any smartphone if it's not shown online you should be able to call CS and they'll move it up.

womp

WasteLand Soldier said:
Is that beautiful widgets up top?

Google's News and Weather widget...It's awesome and Motorola removed it from the Droid X for whatever the hell for...

I wasn't having any of that. :D

Mr. Wonderful said:

Depends. Would you prefer a bigger screen with 9 hrs of talk time in the Droid X or a smaller screen, smaller battery and 5 hours of talk time of the Incredible?

Droid X FTW.

scoobs

Sweet, ordered my droidx so I hopefully will have it in a weeks time. When i upgraded I noticed there was no option for unlimited texting.. seems strange to me because I could have sworn this option existed for verizon now.

Paznos

Verizon just has unlimited mobile to mobile with an additional amount,500 or 5000.

Anyone using a case if so which case are you using, same goes for screen protectors or are they not necessary?

scoobs

Anyone have an idea of how long the delivery takes after ordering online? I'm assuming at least a weeks time.

Fatalah

womp said:
Depends. Would you prefer a bigger screen with 9 hrs of talk time in the Droid X or a smaller screen, smaller battery and 5 hours of talk time of the Incredible.

Low blow! The Incredible is great! *if you can find one.

2.2 is on the way!

Today was kinda my first battery test day and I am not sure what to think seeing as this is my first smart phone. I seemed like over the weekend I wasn't making it a whole day without having to charge but I just equated that to constantly using it. So today I worked an 8 hour shift, and during the shift I really didn't use phone much. Some web surfing during breaks and my lunch hour but that was about it. At the end of the shift my battery had gone from 100% to 60% which I thought was kinda ridiculous. I then turned my phone off then on and my battery jumped from 60% up to 80% where it has been for about an hour. Has anyone else experienced this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom