• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: Durango GPU detailed

MaulerX

It still doesn't change the fact it IS apple to apples now. No two consoles have ever been so similar. Same CPU, same GPU tech and architecture. Litterally 1 flop on the Durango is equal to 1 flop on Orbis. You can compare them. The only difference so far that we know of, is the 410 gflop 4CU's in Orbis which does lend its design to be much more efficient when it comes to compute tasks.

I'm not 100% sure it's completely apples to apples. Maybe red apples vs green apples? The thing is that we still don't know anything on how the Durango's 4 DME's work or how the 3 Display planes (each capable of displaying a different resolution) will be used. These things are there for a reason and I'm sure they will be exploited to do whatever tasks they were put in for.

Another thing to consider is if these Durango specs haven't changed in a year, then it's clear that Microsoft had a specific plan and knew exactly why and how they were planning to use these extra hardware. Similar chips, yes, but might turn out be totally different.

Teletraan1

Banned
I don't see how Kinect 2.0 is even something that is a positive from a marketing perspective. How many decent Kinect 1.0 games came out? I know my sister bought a Kinect for her 3 kids, played a few dance games on it and got a few shitty kids games that controlled horribly and that was it. It seems to have moved a lot of hardware but they didn't support it at all with decent software afterwards. The Kinect release schedule since/including launch has been a poor attempt a humor. At this point it has to be a "fool me once" scenario for a lot of people. I would imagine that if it was improved and supported it might draw people back but there will be a hell of a lot of skeptical people.

sony have an awful ecosystem. it fulfils some base functions, but going up against apple and google, they are more likely to eventually become a hardware appendage than a competitor.

microsoft are in a slightly better position, but w8 phones and tablets haven't given them the jumping point they were hoping for.

i'm not sure that sony's "make a gaming console and supplement it with services" plan is the one i'd invest in, but it's nice to see them try. it's fortunate that they can make an entirely conservative piece of hardware that's relatively easy to bring to a profit and still be classed as "the gaming machine", though.
The same thing that has been holding Sony back for basically a decade. Themselves. This isn't about just hardware but company culture.

Sony has it's hands in so many cookie jars that it's unbelievable. The fact they havn't been able to create some form of ecosystem after all these years speaks volumes.Hope Kaz is the one that does it tho.

Sony has really changed in terms of providing services. They've caught up on PSN, they offer PS+, Video Unlimited is now integrated into their store, Netflix has been a testing ground for all of their latest and greatest features (5.1, subtitles, Android remote control), web browser keeps getting updated beyond being absolute crap and probably one of the biggest things, no paywall.

Once again, their international features completely trump MS and Nintendo. No doubt about it.

Krilekk

Banned
I don't see how Kinect 2.0 is even something that is a positive from a marketing perspective. How many decent Kinect 1.0 games came out? I know my sister bought a Kinect for her 3 kids, played a few dance games on it and got a few shitty kids games that controlled horribly and that was it. It seems to have moved a lot of hardware but they didn't support it at all with decent software afterwards. The Kinect release schedule since/including launch has been a poor attempt a humor. At this point it has to be a "fool me once" scenario for a lot of people. I would imagine that if it was improved and supported it might draw people back but there will be a hell of a lot of skeptical people.

Oh GAF, never change.

Pre-Kinect: "It's gonna bomb so hard."

20+ Million sold Kinect sensors later ...

"Kinect 2.0 will bomb so hard."

iamvin22

Industry Verified

"everything is better with kinect" on every game. there you go.

cornerman

I think there are a whole host of things that sell units.

People like pretty things, and pretty graphics matter when selling $60 games to core gamers. Whether folks know to attribute it to framerates, resolution, or AA isn't the question. Does it look good? Does it look noticeably better than the other? It can drive desire. How much better can Sony's games look than MS's? And will they arrive in time before general perception is made?

Gimmicks matter. They're tricky because you can't necessarily do the same thing twice, but you can capture that same gimmicky spirit. Motion controls brought in casuals and then they fell out with it. Kinect is doing/will do the same thing. I'm not convinced a 2.0 can be conveyed as something different to them....think Wii Motion Plus. I think you need rumored Occulus Rift type headmounted stuff to have a possible crack at that market again. At least to get them to buy into it droves.

Services/Awareness/Loyalty. Everyone's called for it and more and more evidence suggests this will all be about services. Based off rumors, I expect the new Xbox to remind you about the airing/recording of Breaking Bad, while you're playing Halo, after you've programmed it to do so on your tablet or whatever. They're going to try to sell us on that, and ride the momentum they still enjoy right now. That positive momentum is their trump card in my book. When you're in the store of BestBuy or GameStop, you don't fully see the services in action. You'll glide over the UI, have a subconscious verdict over the UI-style and go for the games.

A new cycle, I would imagine is a time when everyone's willing to see what the competitor is doing. They'll look it over. They may have a preference going in, but they'll check out the competition. And that's where Sony has to make its move. It has to have the games available to show the difference. They need to look a step ahead or look more interesting...and/or be more plentiful. if it looks comparable, people stick to what they know or go for the cheapest. it all comes down to the games at the start of these cycles to me...and then its upheld by direct/indirect peer pressure. This is when purchases are asking the most questions, are doing some form of research.

I think Sony can make inroads just by releasing timely and having games available at launch unlike last time. I think they'll be neck and neck despite specs, and that MS loses some market share just by way of Sony being out the gate at the same time.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Oh GAF, never change.

The difference was kinect came later in the life cycle when prices were droping. I just don't see casuals running out to spend 399.99 for kinect 2.0. It is more of a selling point when the system is 299.99 or less. I can also see core gamers being pissed off and blaming the kinect 2.0 if packed in every system the reason why the system is way under powered.

I'm not 100% sure it's completely apples to apples. Maybe red apples vs green apples? The thing is that we still don't know anything on how the Durango's 4 DME's work or how the 3 Display planes (each capable of displaying a different resolution) will be used. These things are there for a reason and I'm sure they will be exploited to do whatever tasks they were put in for.

Another thing to consider is if these Durango specs haven't changed in a year, then it's clear that Microsoft had a specific plan and knew exactly why and how they were planning to use these extra hardware. Similar chips, yes, but might turn out be totally different.

Yes they both have some extra things to assist that make it more customized(audio processors, 4 CU for compute, DME's, Video encode and decode units, Zlib Decompression Hardware ect). The memory set ups is a lot different too, but when comparing the CPU and GPU's, the meat and potatoes of the system, its apples to apples. Also Orbis is using the Liverpool APU, I know this mainly effect the power efficency, but it affects performance too right? Lower latency?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Sony has really changed in terms of providing services. They've caught up on PSN, they offer PS+, Video Unlimited is now integrated into their store, Netflix has been a testing ground for all of their latest and greatest features (5.1, subtitles, Android remote control), web browser keeps getting updated beyond being absolute crap and probably one of the biggest things, no paywall.

Once again, their international features completely trump MS and Nintendo. No doubt about it.

a couple of rudimentary utilities and netflix, i mean that's great and all, but you're on a forum where people dismiss the idea of owning an android tablet outright due to its meagre app ecosystem; do you know how many more apps android has than any sony device running proprietary software will ever cultivate?

if people have a general purpose computer in their hands, they're going to expect the range of features they get from their other general purpose computers, not hold it to some archaic "gaming console + trimmings" standard.

sony have an awful ecosystem. it fulfils some base functions, but going up against apple and google, they are more likely to eventually become a hardware appendage than a competitor.

microsoft are in a slightly better position, but w8 phones and tablets haven't given them the jumping point they were hoping for.

i'm not sure that sony's "make a gaming console and supplement it with services" plan is the one i'd invest in, but it's nice to see them try. it's fortunate that they can make an entirely conservative piece of hardware that's relatively easy to bring to a profit and still be classed as "the gaming machine", though.

Its pretty good outside the US, I imagine it'll improve a bunch with PS4/Vita/PS Suite.

That being said, "ecosystems" like apple's can go die in a fire. Sony's style of generally open standards is a lot better in my eyes. I don't want to be stuck with buying the same brands if I want to interface all my media devices together.

Codeblew

Hey why did Proelite get banned? And whats this I'm hearing about Durango AND Orbis both only having 6 out of the 8 available CPU cores available for games? Source? Someone plz give me the lowdown on what happened on GAF in the last 4 hours regarding Wii U, Orbis, and Durango AND Proelite. lol

OS/system functions, voice chat, sound, recording gameplay (orbis), compression/decompression, etc. need guaranteed CPU time.

Not this shit again.

What do you mean "not this shit again?" All their features that they can't match this gen are because of their systems limitations. PSN was trash the first few years. Their store? It was absolutely laughable.

a couple of rudimentary utilities and netflix, i mean that's great and all, but you're on a forum where people dismiss the idea of owning an android tablet outright due to its meagre app ecosystem; do you know how many more apps android has than any sony device running proprietary software will ever cultivate?

if people have a general purpose computer in their hands, they're going to expect the range of features they get from their other general purpose computers, not hold it to some archaic "gaming console + trimmings" standard.
I'm sure they plan on addressing that. The "share" function would directly compete with companies like Hauppauge. That's something, PCs, Tablets, etc can't offer out the box. Both MS and Sony will have new features.

What do you mean "not this shit again?" All their features that they can't match this gen are because of their systems limitations. PSN was trash the first few years. Their store? It was absolutely laughable.

The store was laughable? Moreso than right now? It wasn't awesome before, but it wasn't the mess that it is now.

Codeblew

They will for all intents and purposes get equivalent support. And I'd hazard to say that things will become "even more multiplatform" due to the PS4 likely being much easier to port from PC - e.g. the PS3 was too different for things like the Witcher 2 to be done easily, compared to a 360 SKU.
Yes, nothing is confirmed. What's your point? The thread is to discuss the leaked information, verified by a dev.

It should make porting to steam box easier also since PS4 runs BSD (I think) which is very similar to Linux and they both use OpenGL.

MaulerX

So your judging Kinect 2.0 based on what could/couldn't be done with the original Kinect? Fact is the original Kinect is capable of doing better things that the 360 is not allowing it to do. We all know of the 360's USB limitations and in many ways it gimped what Kinect could really do. That's why we all saw those Kinect hacks and wondered why we couldn't see that done on the 360.

Kinect 2.0 will not only be vastly superior than Kinect, but this time there will be no such hardware limitation. Think full body tracking with virtually zero lag. Finger tracking (think of all the possibilities like sign language video chat, more precise control of games etc...). Facial and lip recognition etc... And think of how it might work with their leaked Project Fortaleza VR glasses. Virtual Reality made more immersive with Kinect (touch and manipulate the world around you with precision). The possibilities are really endless.

Vita is pretty much the best gaming OS out right now.

PS3 is limited due to memory constraints and the fact that certain features weren't developed from the get-go.

Isn't that fight between 3DS and Vita? Obviously Vita's is better, although Near is poorly implemented whereas streetpass is incredibly intuitive and functional. Everything is hands down better on Vita though.

Krilekk

Banned
The difference was kinect came later in the life cycle when prices were droping. I just don't see casuals running out to spend 399.99 for kinect 2.0. It is more of a selling point when the system is 299.99 or less. I can also see core gamers being pissed off and blaming the kinect 2.0 if packed in every system the reason why the system is way under powered.

First of all we only have rumoured specs and even if those are true those consoles will be at least 6 times more powerful than what we have now. I think MS this time around puts a lot more thought into system design to avoid another RROD fiasco. And they learn from the past. There's no point in selling systems at a loss if you can't be sure to be the winner. And you don't know that. PS2 was cheaper than Xbox and it won. Wii was cheaper than 360 and it won. 360 was cheaper than PS3 and it managed to win in the most important markets. There's no way that MS' New console sells for more than 299 at launch.

The store was laughable? Moreso than right now? It wasn't awesome before, but it wasn't the mess that it is now.

Their store ran in their web browser. It wasn't even optimized for anything above SD. It had no content.

And the new store is great. It's a lot faster (with the recent update), it's a lot more aesthetically pleasing, and it content rich.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
I'm sure they plan on addressing that. The "share" function would directly compete with companies like Hauppauge. That's something, PCs, Tablets, etc can't offer out the box. Both MS and Sony will have new features.

that does nothing to compete.

the only way you can remain competitive in this arms race is if you cultivate an environment where anyone coming out with a hot new app will consider development for your platform as something of a default. i don't need to explain how far sony (and microsoft) are from this.

you can throw this whole idea out, you want your gaming console and more power to you; well that's what sony thought in designing the vita. you can argue that you have no desire for the expectations of ecosystems to invade the living room and you just want a TV entertainment box to be judged on the pure gaming standards of old, but change ain't looking for friends.

Oh GAF, never change.

I can totally understand a guy with a young family wanting to buy this in order to entertain the kids and I know people who did this, frankly I would like the kids to get their stupid asses out of the house and play outside instead of jumping around the fucking living room and hogging the fucking TV, seriously whether it's football sunday or saturday night hockey, it's like GTFO.

Zeal

Banned
Say what you will, it's no secret where my loyalties lie, but I will admit that everything Sony has done with the PS4 and their new developer philosophy sounds dead on. Maybe Microsoft has some secret plan that they are going for with Durango like we keep hearing (I don't believe its jack shit to be honest) but I'm just not seeing anything other than excuses for what clearly appears to be gimped hardware.

Either way, no real opinion can be made until we actually see the damn things and I'm only going by what I see on paper and a few developer friends who are too paranoid to say anything. BUT, that being said, Sony is clearly on autopilot right now, and I have a bad feeling MS might have a little uncertainty going on with when and how they're gonna unveil this thing and how to counter react to the PS meeting.

Their store ran in their web browser. It wasn't even optimized for anything above SD. It had no content.

And the new store is great. It's a lot faster (with the recent update), it's a lot more aesthetically pleasing, and it content rich.

Unless that update came yesterday, it's not a lot faster. I used it on Friday and it was the same mess that it had been. Still takes forever just to load it, then it lags when I'm in it. Also has an absurd amount of steps just to download a free demo. It's ridiculously bad design. Perhaps it's designed for the PS4 and will some day run better.

Unless that update came yesterday, it's not a lot faster. I used it on Friday and it was the same mess that it had been. Still takes forever just to load it, then it lags when I'm in it. Also has an absurd amount of steps just to download a free demo. It's ridiculously bad design. Perhaps it's designed for the PS4 and will some day run better.
The initial start up is slow and the only problem I have is the whole demo/download thing, which is stupid and needs to be fixed.

nasos_333

Yeah...also remember how different the 360 and the PS3 architecture were? Now forget about that.

You're exaggerating, if that were true the PS3 would be dead by a long time now. 80% of multiplatform games look worse on it.

This won't kill the 720, much less the Xbox brand.

PS3 does not most of its major games on PC though, like Fable, Gears, Halo, Mass Effect, Alan Wake etc

They will loose any edge by going underpowered imo

So your judging Kinect 2.0 based on what could/couldn't be done with the original Kinect? Fact is the original Kinect is capable of doing better things that the 360 is not allowing it to do. We all know of the 360's USB limitations and in many ways it gimped what Kinect could really do. That's why we all saw those Kinect hacks and wondered why we couldn't see that done on the 360.

Kinect 2.0 will not only be vastly superior than Kinect, but this time there will be no such hardware limitation. Think full body tracking with virtually zero lag. Finger tracking (think of all the possibilities like sign language video chat, more precise control of games etc...). Facial and lip recognition etc... And think of how it might work with their leaked Project Fortaleza VR glasses. Virtual Reality made more immersive with Kinect (touch and manipulate the world around you with precision). The possibilities are really endless.

While it would be really cool if it could do all/some of those complex things, I doubt the tech has advanced far enough. We'll see though.

that does nothing to compete.

the only way you can remain competitive in this arms race is if you cultivate an environment where anyone coming out with a hot new app will consider development for your platform as something of a default. i don't need to explain how far sony (and microsoft) are from this.

you can throw this whole idea out, you want your gaming console and more power to you; well that's what sony thought in designing the vita. you can argue that you have no desire for the expectations of ecosystems to invade the living room and you just want a TV entertainment box to be judged on the pure gaming standards of old, but change ain't looking for friends.

Both PS3 and 360 offer media server options. On my PS3, I can use my Vita (or my wife can use her Vaio) to access the PS3 and listen and watch to any content that's on there. These features are only matched by other premium priced products. They both will have features to compete.

Functionally and aesthetically the store is pretty good, but it does lag. Suffice to say, you run into limitations working on 50mb of RAM

Haint

This is true. Even the most casual of casualites recognize (and complain) Kinect doesn't work half the time and works half way the rest of the time. There is a decent amount of ill will and negativity surrounding it within the larger audience, not just core nerds and gafian's. Only question is whether the partially working dance and fitness games can sufficiently offset the broken crap like Disney Land and Star Wars in the public consciousness.

Duxxy3

My god do i hate the new store. The older one was fairly quick and it looked like it belonged on a play station console. The new store looks like a generic store that a Sony blu ray player would use.

essentially what it's saying is the shader operation will go through DB/CB first, and if it's obscured by another pixel (using geometry as it's reference?) then the shader operation is aborted. Pixel fill never occurs. Process starts again with next shader operation.

this means instead of wasting however many cycles shading and filling a pixel, it's aborted before it starts.

and GCN doesn't appear to have this functionality.

aren't you just describing z-culling, which has been standard on GPUs since forever?

Yeah, some features are so old they don't get talked about anymore in architectural reviews. For example, you have to go back to the Radeon 4870 reviews to find info on the current Render Back Ends because they basically haven't changed since then. Things like Color and Depth compression and Z-culling/rejection go back even further to cards like the Radeon 9700. Aegies might as well have been dropping hints that Durango supported texture compression, which would be about as remarkable as anything else he was teasing us about.

Isn't that fight between 3DS and Vita? Obviously Vita's is better, although Near is poorly implemented whereas streetpass is incredibly intuitive and functional. Everything is hands down better on Vita though.

The Vita OS is the best gaming OS period. It's better than 3DS, PS3, 360 and WiiU in features, speed and operation. It is fully modern, offers seamless multitasking, background operations, instant on and instant suspension, automatic patching, downloads, cloud syncing, screenshots, nice email and social networking clients. It's fantastic. It's a glimpse of what Orbis and Durango should be able to do, and it highlights Nintendo's failures with the WiiU OS as totally shameful. Near and StreetPass are completely beside the point. So are the feature that could never be made to fit on the PS3. We should have every confidence in Sony's ability to deliver a great user experience with the PS4 OS based on what they've done on Vita, and how they've continued to improve it.

Jack_AG

Banned
My god do i hate the new store. The older one was fairly quick and it looked like it belonged on a play station console. The new store looks like a generic store that a Sony blu ray player would use.

I agree. The new store is junk. Here's hoping they redesign it for PS4 :)

At the very least I'm hoping if they keep the junk design that it will be quick. There are so many continuity flaws it boggles my mind from a design standpoint.

One section of the menu the grid layout when viewing a category takes up the whole screen... the next section the top half of the screen holds the category name while only 6 game icons span the bottom... and I have to scroll through the whole category 2 lines at a time while wasting the top half of screen real-estate? DAFUQ?

A bit OT but man that shit stings.

coldfoot

Banned
Exactly how many "Apps" do you need on a console? Are you really going to check your Facebook or browse the web with the unwieldy controller, which the current consoles can do anyway? Do you really need to have instagram on your console? Do you really need to take notes on it? Looks like the most important ones are ones that enable you to watch content like Netflix, which we already have. Are you going to wave your hands around or shout voice commands at the TV like an idiot to use these apps which are much more simpler to use on a smartphone or a tablet?

The uses and the interface for something hooked up to a TV are vastly different than a phone/tablet or a computer.

mujun

It's more than the other 2 companies can offer. Nintendo is basically set up for it, I don't see why they don't include it. The store is available on the web browser, Nintendo just needs to set it up to do non-Nintendo device purchases.

I must be missing something because I've been doing that with XBLA games for years, that's much longer than you've been able to do it with PSN stuff.

eso76

There's something I don't understand.

Don't these specs confirm what we've always more or less known ?
A machine 6x/8x the power of Xbox 360 ?

Why are people acting like this is a 'downgrade total' or another Wii ?

Jack_AG

Banned
Exactly how many "Apps" do you need on a console? Are you really going to check your Facebook or browse the web with the unwieldy controller, which the current consoles can do anyway? Do you really need to have instagram on your console? Do you really need to take notes on it? Looks like the most important ones are ones that enable you to watch content like Netflix, which we already have.

The uses and the interface for something hooked up to a TV are vastly different than a phone/tablet or a computer.

Yup. I'm sticking with my guns earlier that everyone already has an everything box and what will set a box apart from "I can do this too! look at me! over here!" is that one will be full tilt gaming while another tries to become a replica box of the dozens of current tech peripherals already cemented in the living room. Another box that does what every other box does that also hides everything behind a paywall (could change) isn't exactly an ace in the hole.

I think a primary gaming box is the ticket. Too many pieces of tech do "everything". A straight games-machine is the better bet.

I could be wrong tho. Wouldn't be the first time.

People don't like how it's comparing to the PS4. Not that it's not a great upgrade from what we have now - just that it appears to fall a bit shy of the mark when comparing it to its competitor box. I think it will perform fine tho for games.

meta4

The Vita OS is the best gaming OS period. It's better than 3DS, PS3, 360 and WiiU in features, speed and operation. It is fully modern, offers seamless multitasking, background operations, instant on and instant suspension, automatic patching, downloads, cloud syncing, screenshots, nice email and social networking clients. It's fantastic. It's a glimpse of what Orbis and Durango should be able to do, and it highlights Nintendo's failures with the WiiU OS as totally shameful. Near and StreetPass are completely beside the point. So are the feature that could never be made to fit on the PS3. We should have every confidence in Sony's ability to deliver a great user experience with the PS4 OS based on what they've done on Vita, and how they've continued to improve it.

Quoted for truth. I am so optimistic about Sony and MS OS next gen. It can only improve from the Vita's.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

Some people were holding out hope that Durango would be the most powerful console due to some secret gamechanging GPU technology (similar to how 360 had unified shader tech before anyone else), or at least on par with Sony's machine. It sounds like early insiders were simply mislead by a combination of knowing more about Durango and less about Orbis, so there seemed to be more "excitement" for the former. You also had sweetvar post that Durango's machine was more of a focus at AMD, but again, I believe this was misinterpreted since Sony has more dedicated hardware engineers and expertise and therefore does a substantial portion of the overall design in-house.

Durango appears to be a decent jump in graphics, overall. There won't be any confusion that it's a new gen.

I'd hardly call it the best. Granted I've missed the past two updates. Did they finally integrate friends/trophies/messaging into one cohesive app? When I had my Vita they were each their own separate app and it just felt like a poorly thought out (or simply rushed) design. It's quite good though.

MaulerX

My bad, didn't know you can actually buy them off there. You're right.

When they first incorporated this feature years ago, it was pretty cool how the 360 would automatically queue up your purchases and auto download them next time you booted the system. Great feature for when they have those one day sales and your not home for whatever reason. Pull out your smart phone and presto!

Top Bottom