• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vin Diesel announces fourth Riddick movie while dancing to Katy Perry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarnet87

Good for Vin and the hardcore fans of the series. Just saw Riddick and thought it was a enjoyable action flick, with some cheesy dialogue. I hope they bring back Sackhoff, she looked damn good in Riddick.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I liked Riddick, though I watched it at home and not at the theater. It seemed more of a corny comic book than the gritty sci film the first one was. Killing a lot of the cheezy dialogue would have helped the movie big time. Too much comic relief.

The movies make a profit, so no need to stop making them, especially if Vin's Fast and Furious movies keep making a mint for Universal.

LakeEarth

The new one was good-ish, but obviously a hodgepodge of elements of the first two movies squashed together which diminished my enjoyment. But I'm all for them trying again.

Busty

Banned
I fell that this exchange probably went something like..,

"Hey Vin this is Universal pictures. If you sign on to star in another two Fast & Furious films (because we have nothing else) we'll finance another loss making Riddick film. Cheers"

animus82

Banned
Am I the only one that liked Chronicles of Riddick best?

The last one Riddick was ok but I hope the new one he deals more with the Necromongers.

Van Owen

Banned
I fell that this exchange probably went something like..,

"Hey Vin this is Universal pictures. If you sign on to star in another two Fast & Furious films (because we have nothing else) we'll finance another loss making Riddick film. Cheers"

I think Riddick made money though. Plus Vin put his house up as collateral or something.

Busty

Banned
I think Riddick made money though. Plus Vin put his house up as collateral or something.

IIRC Universal either granted Vin Diesel the rights to the Riddick franchise for signing to do multiple F&F films or they licensed it to him. I forget which.

Either way Chronicles lost Universal a ton and while no one person in particular lost their shirt with Riddick (it was cheap and had international sales) it certainly wasn't a hit either making less than $100m worldwide.

I'm not really sure why anyone would pack another Riddick film..., and this is coming from someone who really enjoyed all Riddick films.

Van Owen

Banned
IIRC Universal either granted Vin Diesel the rights to the Riddick franchise for signing to do multiple F&F films or they licensed it to him. I forget which.

Either way Chronicles lost Universal a ton and while no one person in particular lost their shirt with Riddick (it was cheap and had international sales) it certainly wasn't a hit either making less than $100m worldwide.

I'm not really sure why anyone would pack another Riddick film..., and this is coming from someone who really enjoyed all Riddick films.

From Wikipedia:
Budget $38 million[2]
Box office $98,337,295[3]

And that's before DVD sales.

Hari Seldon

I just saw the newest Riddick film this past weekend and I thought it was the best action film I have seen in years. I will take more Riddick for sure.

Tom_Cody

This is good news! I enjoy this sort of mid-sized genre film. I'm happy that he can make another one.

It seems that the third one was more focused on satisfying fans than on telling a good story. I have enough faith in the talent involved that they can still do more with a fourth film.

Busty

Banned
From Wikipedia:
Budget $38 million[2]
Box office $98,337,295[3]

And that's before DVD sales.

Home video and TV sales could squeak it into the black but between marketing costs and Vin Diesel's own 'back end' (first dollar gross clause) Riddick almost certainly lost money on it's theatrical run given those numbers.

gabbo

Home video and TV sales could squeak it into the black but between marketing costs and Vin Diesel's own 'back end' (first dollar gross clause) Riddick almost certainly lost money on it's theatrical run given those numbers.

Wasn't Diesel up front about taking a smaller paycheck for this in order to get it made?

First half was almost better than both other riddicks combined

then it got real cheap :(

the monsters were kinda underwhelming and some scenes felt rushed in the second half.

Fuck, Dredd was blowing up the sales after it's release and they still won't pull the trigger

I don't think Keith Urban or the directors of Dredd have as much sway as Vin Diesel has, being the star of a multimillion dollar franchise. Different studios, right? Maybe Universal is more lenient than Lionsgate.

spookyfish

Am I the only one that liked Chronicles of Riddick best?

The last one Riddick was ok but I hope the new one he deals more with the Necromongers.

I really enjoyed the extended cut of Chronicles. And if you watch the "director's cut" of the new movie, I think it's clear the Underverse will be explored in the next one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom