• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vindictus |OT| - Auto-attacks are out, ass kicking is in.

Ceebs

Ferrio said:
With lag I don't think i'll be doing that. Hrm... can you block the hammer strike of the big mean red boss guy?
It has a pretty generous window from what I have played so far.

Ferrio

Banned
Also as I play this game I half expect gordon freeman, or some Counter Terrorists to pop out of no where.

It's neat the used the HL engine and all... but man it really doesn't lend itself well to this type of game IMO.

Xamdou

I like how your armor and clothing tears off real-time when getting hammered by the white wolf boss!:lol Your defense goes straight down which then leads you to perform hit dodge and run tactics ;)

Sectus

Oh phew, false alarm! I wasn't banned, my account was just deactivated because of security reasons, and I could easily reactivate it. I'm guessing it's because of the 100 times I tried to login with various proxies. And well, time try some more :p

bathala said:
Connection is good in town but once u go to a dungeon with a group, the thing stutters and sometimes to a crawl
Not sure if you know it already, but the game is hosted by players once you're in a dungeon. So the connection there all depends on the host.

LyarVonLyar

Neo Member
Is anyone else getting buggy roll actions? For instance I'm facing a mob of gnolls, I hit them twice and then use the strong attack which is the shield push move to knock them down, I hit back and roll and sometimes it will roll backwards and other times it will roll forward into the mob of 10-12 huge hairy gnolls waiting to gang rape me. I'm trying to solo the Friends? Quest on Hard and its basically wave after wave of veteran gnolls I'm guessing it will end sometime and send me a boss. My tactic usually works out fine until I roll into the mob taking a bit of damage and it wears down after a few instances of weird rolling to the point I need a pot and then I can't seem to find an opening to use it and eventually I go splat. I suppose the answer is to group but I'm feeling an irrational urge to solo it ><

I feel the need to be able to roll over enemies on the ground, or jump.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
After all these years of pressing 3 to lightning bolt a knoll, suplexing one into a tree and having it fall over from the impact almost brought a tear to my eye.

Played to 7 with new gear and skills. Hooked. Doesn't lag for me for the most part, only a few parts when I was with a full group.

Just really good overall. Some quirks, but nothing game-breaking.

Orgun

After jumping through many proxy hoops and software I was finally able to play for a few missions, thoroughly enjoyed it. The combat is a breath of fresh air in the "mmo" genre.

On East I am OrgunUK

East Coast just got hit by some pretty sever weather here. I hope their server doesn't go down.

BTW, I hope you guys are grabbing enemies, cause you can actually do a couple of different moves if you grab someone. They do a ton of damage to the enemies.

1stStrike

Banned
Getting owned by the red gnoll lol. Also, dumb question, but how the fuck do you block? I've trained the skill up to D, but I just can't figure it out for the life of me :|

kagete

Wow, what a nice little gem this game is. I was expecting 5 year-old MMO leftovers like Dungeon Fighter but this game is polished to a sheen.

+Great graphics
+physics everywhere
+video settings menu has an FPS counter and easy to scale settings
+intuitive, streamlined, polished
+great tutorial picture-in-picture that's consistent in its presentation
+great integration of quests and dialogue, with a good sense of progression in both the story and personal loot from level 1
+great character creator that seems a little limited right now but looks like it has room to grow. I love that it teases you with some later armor sets so you can do some cosplay on your char

-only 2 classes for now
-you can't really zoom the camera out much or change the FOV. I need to pull it back until its almost isometric if I don't want to get motion sickness. I played and hour or so and felt fine for a while but eventually had to throw up my lunch. It's really a problem with me and not the game but I do wish there were more camera options
-no native support for controllers. Native 360pad support would have been ace

=the scope looks really small right now, but it makes for a tight and focused experience
=i haven't played long enough to know what lategame is like but the game looks like it'll provide a satisfying romp until you get there

Due to my nausea, I cant really play this anymore without a camera mod or console command but I think everyone should give it a try. Getting into the beta and setting everything up is 10x easier than FF14's beta so it's really not a hassle.

1stStrike

Banned
kagete said:
Wow, what a nice little gem this game is. I was expecting 5 year-old MMO leftovers like Dungeon Fighter but this game is polished to a sheen.

+Great graphics
+physics everywhere
+video settings menu has an FPS counter and easy to scale settings
+intuitive, streamlined, polished
+great tutorial picture-in-picture that's consistent in its presentation
+great integration of quests and dialogue, with a good sense of progression in both the story and personal loot from level 1
+great character creator that seems a little limited right now but looks like it has room to grow. I love that it teases you with some later armor sets so you can do some cosplay on your char

-only 2 classes for now
-you can't really zoom the camera out much or change the FOV. I need to pull it back until its almost isometric if I don't want to get motion sickness. I played and hour or so and felt fine for a while but eventually had to throw up my lunch. It's really a problem with me and not the game but I do wish there were more camera options
-no native support for controllers. Native 360pad support would have been ace

=the scope looks really small right now, but it makes for a tight and focused experience
=i haven't played long enough to know what lategame is like but the game looks like it'll provide a satisfying romp until you get there

Due to my nausea, I cant really play this anymore without a camera mod or console command but I think everyone should give it a try. Getting into the beta and setting everything up is 10x easier than FF14's beta so it's really not a hassle.

Just FYI it supports several gamepads, including the xbox 360 gamepad if you go into the advanced control options :)

Sucks about your motion sickness. Glad I don't get that!

Lebron

1stStrike said:
Getting owned by the red gnoll lol. Also, dumb question, but how the fuck do you block? I've trained the skill up to D, but I just can't figure it out for the life of me :|
Press space bar, if you have the higher level block skill, press space bar and forward.

kagete

1stStrike said:
Just FYI it supports several gamepads, including the xbox 360 gamepad if you go into the advanced control options :)

Sucks about your motion sickness. Glad I don't get that!

Oh the Advanced Control options were grayed out/disabled when I last checked. I'll give it another try tomorrow. thanks

1stStrike said:

You're using the girl right? To block, you have to stop moving, or else you'll end up rolling away. Roll while moving, block when you're standing still.

Grapple in narrow hallways and watch your character elbow the enemy into the wall. The impact shock wave can kill nearby enemies too. It got over 1000 points of overkill doing that.

Ferrio

Banned
Anyone know how to trigger the grapple with fiona where she boots them across the room? I'm assuming it's a crit?

1stStrike

Banned
Lebron said:
Press space bar, if you have the higher level block skill, press space bar and forward.

Hum, I must be doing it wrong cause I always roll away. Guard is lvl D now. I'll give it a try and see if I can get it work. I'm guessing if I try and block the gnoll leader it's not going to work out very well eh?

Also, yeah, I've been doing a lot of grappling. I've gotten the neck breaker and the elegant punisher titles which are both pretty cool :)

Lebron

1stStrike said:
Hum, I must be doing it wrong cause I always roll away. Guard is lvl D now. I'll give it a try and see if I can get it work. I'm guessing if I try and block the gnoll leader it's not going to work out very well eh?
You can block him if you you're using heavy stander for his two smash attacks, and normal block works for his kick. Try to time it for a perfect so you don't lose any stamina.

Wow. What a great game. I knew it would be worth all the proxy hassle. Special thanks to Vasilisk for supplying the help.

Slamming a gnoll into a wall, then penalty kicking his head after he's slipped down the wall. Priceless.

Great intro as well - wasn't expecting that.

Corletha on East if you wanna say hi.

Damn, after taking a long time to setting the proxy I can get in and select the character, but the it goes to the loading screen and says connection Host failed or something and the game stops...HELP!!!

PeacefulBlueSky

Neo Member
Beat the Red Gnoll in Decisive Battle to get a second storage chest.

To beat the Red Gnoll 13 minute oath, everybody in your team should have grapples. And then just use it in turn, once one character runs out, next one replaces him as the grappler, etc. I beat that oath on hard with 1 minute left. And I got to the boss around the 4:40 minute mark.

j_hiro

Cow Mengde said:
I don't think so right now. I'm running out of room too.

Keep doing the quests and you'll eventually open up the 2nd bag slot. I think it was with the main or event quest for Decisive Battle.

Einherjar

I'm on as Median if anyone wants to party up for some grinding.

Anyone know the trick to knocking the Rage helm off the Red Gnoll with a spear?

Ok, what a blast! After been able to login, I've played around 3 hours. Some times laggy, other no so much, but indeed a fresh experience, beatiful graphics, and very fun gameplay.

Meteorain

Feels good to Judo fling people twice your size. Fiona's pretty awesome. Did a 1925 dmg combo with her on that White cowled Gnoll at lvl8. It was a grab with an elbow smash at the end into a pillar.

Meteorain said:
Feels good to Judo fling people twice your size. Fiona's pretty awesome. Did a 1925 dmg combo with her on that White cowled Gnoll at lvl8. It was a grab with an elbow smash at the end into a pillar.

Oh, you can grab the boss? I didn't know that. They look too big to grab.

I know you can use the smash move on the boss and cause the pillar behind to collapse and do extra damage on it.

Einherjar said:
I'm on as Median if anyone wants to party up for some grinding.

Anyone know the trick to knocking the Rage helm off the Red Gnoll with a spear?

I used rubble lying about, it eventually came off. Mainly medium sized rocks, the woddens tuff won't do It I think.

And I'm really liking the game overall, not much of an MMO really, and the environments so far are very samey, but I look forward to more. Shame about the lag. (but I am in europe so can't complain much)

Also, simple crafting materials have a ridiculously low drop rate, considering the gnoll chieftan I just beat dropped 3 chieftan hammers when I needed one. Could have done with some red leather or the leg armour but nooooooooooooooooooooo.

If anyone has excess of those and is willing to trade for hammers or something, give me a shout on the west server, Nick: Forester

kalai1.jpg

I'm the only one getting this error around here?...damn I feel so lucky, 2 nights trying to get the damn game working, with the proxy bullshit and all and now this.

Meteorain

Holy.....I just tried soloing the Red Gnoll Chieftain at lvl 9. He raped me violently and with fury :(

Cow Mengde said:
Oh, you can grab the boss? I didn't know that. They look too big to grab.

I know you can use the smash move on the boss and cause the pillar behind to collapse and do extra damage on it.

Nah you can't grab them, I was talking about those slightly bigger ones with a white outfit that run around carry giant light yellow bludgeons.

Meteorain

Cloudius12 said:
Just need people who can aim the Chainhooks and you be fine

I'm doing him solo and using spears!

Edit: OK 2 hits and I'm dead. I can't solo this bastard. Gonna try on Normal now.

Top Bottom