• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vindictus |OT| - Auto-attacks are out, ass kicking is in.

1stStrike said:
How many of each do you need? I should have some.

Also, I just got to do the kobold chief twice for free. I was just chilling on my boat collecting seals of dedication and some lvl 20 hopped on wondering what I was doing. So, I told him and he offered to pay for me to help him out.

So, ended up costing him 5 coins to pay for me (it was 2 for the first but jumped to 3 for the second) + his own. Now that's a sacrifice :eek: And I think I just found a new way to get some missions done.

Need 2 copper ore and 5 life spirit (but you don't need to send all 5. 2-3 is good)

Thanks!!

hmm

as I was coming back after forfeiting a mission, I spawned next to a gold spammer, and it somehow made me spam what he was spamming, which I never seen before. Anyone else had this happen?

Dreavus

Cloudius12 said:
hmm

as I was coming back after forfeiting a mission, I spawned next to a gold spammer, and it somehow made me spam what he was spamming, which I never seen before. Anyone else had this happen?

Yep, happened to me on my way back into town. I don't think it shows up in chat as me saying it, does it? I know the speech bubble kind of made it look like it was me.

Probably just a minor glitch, somehow I doubt that other players see it as you saying it.

1stStrike

Banned
Cloudius12 said:
hmm

That's happened to me a couple of times. Usually when first loading into the game or coming out of a building. It's annoying.

I'm already looking into other prospects, but unfortunately there's no other similar games out right now. I'd even pay a monthly fee for a game like this. The fact that it was F2P had no impact on my decision whatsoever.

This situation with the tokens is going to force me to be casual, so I'm going to need another game to fill up my time anyway. I'm not even hardcore - I really only play a couple hours a day, but that's all it takes to run out of tokens.

Dreavus

1stStrike said:
That's happened to me a couple of times. Usually when first loading into the game or coming out of a building. It's annoying.

I'm already looking into other prospects, but unfortunately there's no other similar games out right now. I'd even pay a monthly fee for a game like this. The fact that it was F2P had no impact on my decision whatsoever.

This situation with the tokens is going to force me to be casual, so I'm going to need another game to fill up my time anyway. I'm not even hardcore - I really only play a couple hours a day, but that's all it takes to run out of tokens.

Yeah... It always depressed me a little bit when awesome games are announced to be "free to play" (Dragon's Nest is another one I have my eye on, and it has a similar model I believe). I almost view it as a negative at this point. I'd rather pay to have unrestricted access than have to dance around this token system of theirs.

I suppose you could put 10 bucks into tokens every month and pretend its a sub. :lol I don't know how far that'd get you though. What are the prices on platinum tokens anyway?

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
So just started playing this and have to say I am pretty impressed and happy with it. I played DFO a little bit, till level 20 or so and really just got bored with grinding the same dungeons over and over again but this seems to have enough visual flair and story for me to really stick around for a little bit.

1stStrike

Banned
Dreavus said:
Yeah... It always depressed me a little bit when awesome games are announced to be "free to play" (Dragon's Nest is another one I have my eye on, and it has a similar model I believe). I almost view it as a negative at this point. I'd rather pay to have unrestricted access than have to dance around this token system of theirs.

I suppose you could put 10 bucks into tokens every month and pretend its a sub. :lol I don't know how far that'd get you though. What are the prices on platinum tokens anyway?

Here's the pricing model:

* Quantity: 1, 10 or 30 units
* Price: NX 500/NX 4400/NX 11900

As I mentioned previously, do the math. You actually get diminishing returns when you buy 30 tokens. You save 12% by buying 10, but only 9% by buying 30.

Also:

Greetings players-

We wanted to write an open letter to our community to address the recent confusion over the token system within Vindictus. Due to a bug within the game, tokens were being given every day. This was never intended, and following the bug fix during this week’s maintenance, tokens began properly replenishing every Monday and Friday at 10AM Pacific.

What we failed to consider was the amount of confusion this would cause for players who’ve come to expect an endless supply of tokens. Thus, from me and the entire Vindictus team, we sincerely apologize for how we handled this situation.

We should have done a better job of communicating this big change to our players, and so based on this issue, we are reviewing our posting process so that we can keep you better informed. We truly believe is how we can help you enjoy the game as much as possible.

In addition, as a sign of our gratitude to our players and our commitment to make Vindictus the best game, all Vindictus characters will receive 30 Platinum Tokens following the current maintenance.

Once the servers are back up, check your character’s mailbox to verify you received 30 Platinum Tokens.

Once again, on behalf of the entire Vindictus team, I would like to offer my apologies for any inconvenience that may have been caused and also say thank you to all of our players. We always value the feedback of our players and we hope to continue to make Vindictus the bet game it can possibly be.

Thank you for your patience and we hope to see you in Colhen again soon.

Not a Jellyfish said:
So just started playing this and have to say I am pretty impressed and happy with it. I played DFO a little bit, till level 20 or so and really just got bored with grinding the same dungeons over and over again but this seems to have enough visual flair and story for me to really stick around for a little bit.

Welcome to the club. You missed out on the party where tokens regenerated multiple times a day, every day. I suppose it's better for you to join now rather then later though.

Also, you will be repeating the same missions a lot, but as you level up and expand your character, it never really feels like a grind just because the gameplay is so dynamic. I still have fun doing the gnoll chieftan in boat 1 because I get to see all the newbies run around freaking out :lol

Anony

i'm at 2 tokens per quest, i think it's going to bump to 3 tokens on my next lvl

even then -> 50/3 = 16 (r. 2), 16
that's 16 quests every 3 or 4 days, that's 4 quests a night

honestly, i dont want to sink too much time into this game, so i think (for me) i wont run out of tokens ever

1stStrike

Banned
Anony said:
i'm at 2 tokens per quest, i think it's going to bump to 3 tokens on my next lvl

even then -> 50/3 = 16 (r. 2), 16
that's 16 quests every 3 or 4 days, that's 4 quests a night

honestly, i dont want to sink too much time into this game, so i think (for me) i wont run out of tokens ever

Problem is that while some quests take longer then others, once you've leveled a bit you can clear a mission in like 5 minutes. So if you do 4 missions a day, that is 20 minutes a day. Would you really be satisfied with that? I'd look for at least an hour or two of gameplay a day.

Plus, if you go back and grind titles - like killing the polar bear 50 times. It would take you a ridiculously long time to get that with the current token system.

Dreavus

1stStrike said:
Problem is that while some quests take longer then others, once you've leveled a bit you can clear a mission in like 5 minutes. So if you do 4 missions a day, that is 20 minutes a day. Would you really be satisfied with that? I'd look for at least an hour or two of gameplay a day.

Plus, if you go back and grind titles - like killing the polar bear 50 times. It would take you a ridiculously long time to get that with the current token system.

It also makes finding rare drops that much more stressful/annoying, since you only have a limited amount of runs per day. One of my runs in Anile yesterday got me 3 vampire images and a leather off of the boss, which made me feel like I "wasted" that run. But I guess that's the point, really: to get people to spend money on platinum tokens.

Dreavus

prodystopian said:
It's nice that they are giving 30 platinum tokens, but :lol at them claiming it was a mistake that the coins refilled so often.

I think they meant to switch it over to the "retail" system of "only twice a week" when the open beta started, but I guess they neglected to do so until now. I'm pretty sure the constant refills were intentional during the closed beta.

EDIT: Just joined a boat where the host revealed he had no tokens when all 3 of us were ready to go. Screw that. :lol

1stStrike

Banned
Dreavus said:
I think they meant to switch it over to the "retail" system of "only twice a week" when the open beta started, but I guess they neglected to do so until now. I'm pretty sure the constant refills were intentional during the closed beta.

EDIT: Just joined a boat where the host revealed he had no tokens when all 3 of us were ready to go. Screw that. :lol

He has 30 platinum tokens now, so he's lying!

Elcheris

Neo Member
I don't mind the current system too much right now. Since I haven't put any money down on it I don't really feel obligated to hop on and play, like if I had a subscription or something. Mind you, I only play it once in a while, usually when im taking a break from starcraft. I would put some actual money into the game but the prices seem really steep, 12$ or something for an extra storage is silly. I think GW has those for around 5$ instead and even then I find it hard to justify.

If I ever wanted to get more serious about the game, if they release really fun content, then yeah id say the current model is craptastic. Maybe they could go with something like the option to actually subscribe, maybe 5$ a month for unlimited tokens and some extra storage. Id probably just straight up buy it too if they had the option, this way they'd actually make some money off people. I don't see the game succeeding as a source of profit right now.

1stStrike

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
I'm saving my platinum tokens for whenever I get near the level cap, personally.

Same here. Just holding onto them till I really need em. Coins reset tomorrow anyway and I had 8 for today.

Elcheris said:
I don't mind the current system too much right now. Since I haven't put any money down on it I don't really feel obligated to hop on and play, like if I had a subscription or something. Mind you, I only play it once in a while, usually when im taking a break from starcraft. I would put some actual money into the game but the prices seem really steep, 12$ or something for an extra storage is silly. I think GW has those for around 5$ instead and even then I find it hard to justify.

If I ever wanted to get more serious about the game, if they release really fun content, then yeah id say the current model is craptastic. Maybe they could go with something like the option to actually subscribe, maybe 5$ a month for unlimited tokens and some extra storage. Id probably just straight up buy it too if they had the option, this way they'd actually make some money off people. I don't see the game succeeding as a source of profit right now.

Yeah, if you played this game like a regular MMO you'd be spending like $100 - $200 a month. Not worth it at all. But, you know there are people that will, which is fine as it's their money, but I've got more important stuff to buy then virtual coins.

Mairu

I have no idea how they plan on making money from storage chests and player outfits with such a limited token system. People who invest more time into the game are more likely to spend money on the game. If they had intended the token system to be the way it is, they had since the end of closed beta up until September 15th, when Early Access Beta started.

There's no excuse for taking over a month to put this ridiculous Korean game-time system into the game and then stating that "oh hey, it was a bug but even though we changed it from EAB to OB, we actually meant to change it differently!". The 30 free platinum tokens is cute, as people will either save them (and not play the game much, and eventually find another game to play, possibly come back for new content then quit again) or use them (and go back to whining about tokens, not playing the game much, and finding another game to play, possibly coming back for new content).

If the producer wanted anyone to care about this token system they should've explained why it's so essential to the game's "balance" which is LAUGHABLE considering how overpowered some skill/weapon/class combinations are, and how easy the game is.

Bring on Guild Wars 2 :lol

Dreavus

Mairu said:
I have no idea how they plan on making money from storage chests and player outfits with such a limited token system. People who invest more time into the game are more likely to spend money on the game. If they had intended the token system to be the way it is, they had since the end of closed beta up until September 15th, when Early Access Beta started.

There's no excuse for taking over a month to put this ridiculous Korean game-time system into the game and then stating that "oh hey, it was a bug but even though we changed it from EAB to OB, we actually meant to change it differently!". The 30 free platinum tokens is cute, as people will either save them (and not play the game much, and eventually find another game to play, possibly come back for new content then quit again) or use them (and go back to whining about tokens, not playing the game much, and finding another game to play, possibly coming back for new content).

If the producer wanted anyone to care about this token system they should've explained why it's so essential to the game's "balance" which is LAUGHABLE considering how overpowered some skill/weapon/class combinations are, and how easy the game is.

Bring on Guild Wars 2 :lol

This is actually a very good point. If the game weren't limited in what you can actually play (token system), I'm sure lots more people would have no problem dropping money on extra stuff like avatar items and storage chests. It's almost like they want it both ways... "free 2 play" while charging for convenient stuff, but then they also have a kind of subscription in that if you want to play a whole lot you'll also need to pay for tokens.

I dunno I guess we'll see how it pans out. With the amount of time I have now I can't see tokens being a massive issue, but I know it WILL get annoying anytime I have a significant chunk of time to play.

Mairu

Dreavus said:
This is actually a very good point. If the game weren't limited in what you can actually play (token system), I'm sure lots more people would have no problem dropping money on extra stuff like avatar items and storage chests. It's almost like they want it both ways... "free 2 play" while charging for convenient stuff, but then they also have a kind of subscription in that if you want to play a whole lot you'll also need to pay for tokens.

I dunno I guess we'll see how it pans out. With the amount of time I have now I can't see tokens being a massive issue, but I know it WILL get annoying anytime I have a significant chunk of time to play.
It might not be much of an issue for people who barely play the game or play it fairly casually. But people who don't spend a lot of time in the game, aren't going to be spending a lot of money in the game. It's a dumb system.

1stStrike

Banned
Oh and I take back what I said about fishing. I'm running a boat at the moment, have like 9 people on it, and it's tons of fun. Like 15 - 20 fish spawn at a time and it's a big fight to see who gets what.

I personally don't have a big problem with the token system other than the spacing of Monday and Friday refills. They should be Monday and Thursday, considering how close Friday is to Monday.

I don't get to play a lot each day, so I can easily last quite a bit with the tokens.

If I were to revise the Token System if it had to be put in the game, it would be refilled on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Fill by 25 on Saturday.

Anony

even on a fast run, it's doesnt take 5 mins, more like 10 min avg
inbetween that, you're managing equipment and stuff, that's probably 30-45-60 mins a day
i'm okay with that

and about the drop, true, but would you spend 30 mins grinding for an item, or spend *reasonable* money for it (of course, if it's jacked up in the market, you're screwed)

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
What level do you have to be to complete the "Decisive Battle" in the Purial (spelling) Ruins by yourself?

I am a 13 (almost a 14) and I can not beat it by myself and when I play with others there is just so much lag. :(

Not a Jellyfish said:
What level do you have to be to complete the "Decisive Battle" in the Purial (spelling) Ruins by yourself?

I am a 13 (almost a 14) and I can not beat it by myself and when I play with others there is just so much lag. :(

I beat it when I was 10-11, I believe. It was...a LONG battle :lol I hear Fiona is better at boss battles than Lann, who I have.

You basically have to get a feel for which attack he's gonna do: the overhead pound that destroys your muscles, the whirly-swing that fucks your armor, or the kick. I never really strung together a combo more than 3-4 hits, until he starts getting tired with 1-2 bars left. Run, let him attack, attack him, dodge, attack again, repeat. Never get too ballsy, because you WILL pay!

On that same page, I LOVED how difficult it was. Everything up until that point had been so damned easy, it was a nice change.

I introduced the game to a friend last night and he's in love.

I also think this game has some of the best looking armor I've seen in an MMO.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Mr. Snrub said:
I beat it when I was 10-11, I believe. It was...a LONG battle :lol I hear Fiona is better at boss battles than Lann, who I have.

You basically have to get a feel for which attack he's gonna do: the overhead pound that destroys your muscles, the whirly-swing that fucks your armor, or the kick. I never really strung together a combo more than 3-4 hits, until he starts getting tired with 1-2 bars left. Run, let him attack, attack him, dodge, attack again, repeat. Never get too ballsy, because you WILL pay!

On that same page, I LOVED how difficult it was. Everything up until that point had been so damned easy, it was a nice change.

I introduced the game to a friend last night and he's in love.

I also think this game has some of the best looking armor I've seen in an MMO.

Wow...this just gave me confirmation that I absolutely suck at this game. :lol

I just don't understand the dodging, I barely ever go in the direction I would like to.

What controls is everyone using? Mouse and keyboard or just keyboard?

1stStrike

Banned
Not a Jellyfish said:

I just don't understand the dodging, I barely ever go in the direction I would like to.

The simple way to beat the gnoll chieftan is to just run to his right. Get close, lure him to attack, then run in a circle behind him (and out of range) until he attacks - then get a LR or a LLR combo on him and proceed to dodge again. Doing this properly you can go the entire battle without getting hit.

Protip:
Works on the kobold chief and most any other boss too, really. Downsides of AI

Not a Jellyfish said:

No, I definitely died the first time I tried, and that was a waste of 35 minutes :lol

Second time I was a little stronger, had better armor, but it still look a while. Be sure to stock up on your secondary weapon, bring feathers, and potions!

Practicing dodging, or at the very least, turning around and sprinting real fast :lol

Not a Jellyfish said:

I think only Fiona can roll. Just hit space + direction, and you'll be fine. I did the boss battle at the same level you did. It was tough and took a long time, but it's doable. Just use a shitload of things to throw at him, make sure you have repair kits and potions, and make use of the hidden health pots.

1stStrike said:
The simple way to beat the gnoll chieftan is to just run to his right. Get close, lure him to attack, then run in a circle behind him (and out of range) until he attacks - then get a LR or a LLR combo on him and proceed to dodge again. Doing this properly you can go the entire battle without getting hit.

Protip:
Works on the kobold chief and most any other boss too, really. Downsides of AI

But his 360 spin would always get me if I stayed too close.

The 360 spin of his is easy to avoid. Watch his patterns and you can tell when he is going to do it by his pose. Get out of his range, best to go to the side because he mostly go straight when doing that attack.

1stStrike

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
But his 360 spin would always get me if I stayed too close.

Yeah like crak said, just run out of range, he spins, then he takes a couple seconds to recover and during that time you run back in. It's all about knowing their range and just running outside of it.

YYZ

If you're trying to solo bosses, just wait 'til you get to Revenge.

That one took me the longest.

You have to kite the melee one around the large pillars while keeping the pillars between you and the arrows one. I actually ran across the map and kited them to the entrance and then sprinted back to the pillars and only one of them followed me so it became much easier and I could use rocks and other objects. You can also use spears to stun.

1stStrike

Banned
I think the werewolves would be the worst atm to solo. There's 3 of them and they hit you from all directions. Even if you just kite one, there's no guarantee that you'll just get one as they tend to stay pretty close to each other for a while. Even with 2 people it's a pain in the ass.

YYZ

Yeah I only just beat the Kobold Chief so I don't know about them. The three slingshot guys was a great battle, but I didn't solo that.

Does anyone know why my Fiona isn't learning the long hammer skill? I know I need to kill 30 enemies by throwing shit at them, but I'm pretty sure I've killed more than 30, but I still can't trigger the title. I don't really want hammer, I just want to have the title.

1stStrike

Banned
Cow Mengde said:
Does anyone know why my Fiona isn't learning the long hammer skill? I know I need to kill 30 enemies by throwing shit at them, but I'm pretty sure I've killed more than 30, but I still can't trigger the title. I don't really want hammer, I just want to have the title.

Smash them with the objects instead of throwing them at them. It apparently doesn't register the kill if you actually throw the object - you need to smash them with it. I went through that as well.

1stStrike said:
Smash them with the objects instead of throwing them at them. It apparently doesn't register the kill if you actually throw the object - you need to smash them with it. I went through that as well.

I had a feeling there was a glitch somewhere!

Dreavus

I spent almost all of my money buying silver ore to use with new armor and weapons. Prices were pretty ridiculous but there's no way I'm farming that shit. :lol I'm hoping to have the blood prince set last me for the next little while.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
cartoon_soldier said:
We should do guild runs of Prepare for Counterattack, 14k per run :D
Sounds like a waste of tokens to me imo.

I made 300k in about an hour just by toying around with the market.
Just advance the quests and you'll get the materials you need and can sell those instead.

Or taking mining bombs and getting a single copper / silver from doing Frost Stones or something will get you 30/60k

Dreavus

Hazaro said:
Sounds like a waste of tokens to me imo.

I made 300k in about an hour just by toying around with the market.
Just advance the quests and you'll get the materials you need and can sell those instead.

Or taking mining bombs and getting a single copper / silver from doing Frost Stones or something will get you 30/60k

I think copper has come down a lot, but silver is still going for tons. Everyone wants it for the Blood Prince armor. Your idea sounds good, but I don't think I have ever even seen a silver ore outside of the marketplace menus. :lol

Top Bottom