• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vindictus |OT| - Auto-attacks are out, ass kicking is in.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Edit: Stuff's gone. Only one person sent me a message over the morning. Guess most here play on West.

Poyunch

I guess on Monday I'm going to go and grind for gold ore. I hate how expensive ore is.
Also funny pictures:
DkS7K.jpg

lSK4Y.jpg

Cow Mengde said:
You saved your dailies for it as well, huh?
Well for the week I was focusing on farming materials for the Laghodessa set so I've been ignoring my Evie character since. But even so the event felt quite short.

Deadly

xelios said:
Anyone on East want ~1.8m gold + bunny ears (1.1m) and a few other things. PM me with your char name. Will edit this post when they've been given away.

Edit: No one's sent anything yet. Going to be away 'til this afternoon so post here if you send me a pm.
Are you giving this away like that?

OatmealMu

I'm starting to feel the heat as a staff Evie. I just did my first Laghodessa run and it was awful. My golem died halfway through the fight, and people were constantly dying, then complaining about not getting heals (which they were getting). These high level raids always bring out the worst in people.

Then there's this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZKvtCfMzpI :lol

Spin to win indeed.

Poyunch

Yeah I keep hearing about how much better Swords get later in-game but I just don't understand that what with the higher dps and wider attack range Spears have over Swords.

Deadly

OatmealMu said:
I'm starting to feel the heat as a staff Evie. I just did my first Laghodessa run and it was awful. My golem died halfway through the fight, and people were constantly dying, then complaining about not getting heals (which they were getting). These high level raids always bring out the worst in people.

Then there's this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZKvtCfMzpI :lol

Spin to win indeed.
Record time for me is ~2:30, it gets very fast and easy when you've got good players. We farmed that shit during the double AP event :D

Raide

I so wish I could figure out how to get this working in the UK. I am no good with proxies and stuff. I got into the beta as well. :lol

Any news on them doing an EU Beta?

New patch with network improvements are here. Actually, I've noticed the game's been quite smooth since mid-December. I rarely ran into any problems.

OatmealMu

Well, I did it. I created a guild for staff Evies wallowing in their mediocrity. I call it "The Third Wheels." I don't see a lot of staff Evies at my level anymore, so recruiting will be difficult. But getting the short end of the stick is par for the course.

Dreavus

OatmealMu said:
Well, I did it. I created a guild for staff Evies wallowing in their mediocrity. I call it "The Third Wheels." I don't see a lot of staff Evies at my level anymore, so recruiting will be difficult. But getting the short end of the stick is par for the course.

That bad huh? I haven't played in several weeks but I think I shoehorned my Evie alt into staff too because I keep putting the meditation AP into firebolt (because I don't have very many other skills yet :lol ).

OatmealMu

For a support character, she does an awful job at it. Her healing doesn't scale. The little hop the game calls a "dodge" is worth fuck all against the increasingly faster bosses. She uses a ton of stamina for just about everything she does -- healing in particular -- with mediocre results. Ultimately, the problem for me is that she's not good at anything. Damage? Nope. Defense? Nope. Buffing/debuffing? Nope. Healing? Nope.

I'd have dropped her by now if I didn't get word that they're updating her playstyle. She's apparently being turned into a charge character, wherein you can charge her abilities. Gems are also out, which will free up valuable quickslots. Oh, and she's getting a new dodge move.

The update is supposed to be out before Spring... in Korea. Who knows when North America will be getting it.

Sectus

OatmealMu said:
For a support character, she does an awful job at it. Her healing doesn't scale. The little hop the game calls a "dodge" is worth fuck all against the increasingly faster bosses. She uses a ton of stamina for just about everything she does -- healing in particular -- with mediocre results. Ultimately, the problem for me is that she's not good at anything. Damage? Nope. Defense? Nope. Buffing/debuffing? Nope. Healing? Nope.

I'd have dropped her by now if I didn't get word that they're updating her playstyle. She's apparently being turned into a charge character, wherein you can charge her abilities. Gems are also out, which will free up valuable quickslots. Oh, and she's getting a new dodge move.

The update is supposed to be out before Spring... in Korea. Who knows when North America will be getting it.
If it's a permanent change of the character, it shouldn't take long as both US and Korean versions are on the same codebase.

OatmealMu

Sectus said:
If it's a permanent change of the character, it shouldn't take long as both US and Korean versions are on the same codebase.

How has that worked in the past? I had assumed, for example, our Boat 4 update was the same as Korea's Boat 4 update. Is Nexon able to add character updates independently?

OatmealMu said:

I half agree and half don't. It's complicated because I find her like Fiona. Extremely useful during some battles and occasions, other times, their both fucking worthless unlike Lann's that can spin their way to victory in any situation.

Big boss battles where bosses deal huge damage, healing Evie's save the day as long as their just healing. Trying to fight with her, her staff is useless, arrows take too much stamina to consistently deal damage, and the firebolt takes way too long to set up when you've gotta boss in Macha who's gonna rip you in two hits.

Same goes for her staff. It's as strong as Fiona's Normals, but once your shield is down in one hit, you've gotta run around until its back up else because she takes too much damage. You've gotta put in the effort to get her up to being able to cast Golems. Then you can sit back and watch it pummel the Blood Prince or Gnoll King.

Sectus

OatmealMu said:
How has that worked in the past? I had assumed, for example, our Boat 4 update was the same as Korea's Boat 4 update. Is Nexon able to add character updates independently?
Well, I haven't played boat 4 yet, but are there any drastic changes between that and boat 4 in the Korean version?

OatmealMu

riceandbeans said:
I half agree and half don't. It's complicated because I find her like Fiona. Extremely useful during some battles and occasions, other times, their both fucking worthless unlike Lann's that can spin their way to victory in any situation.

Big boss battles where bosses deal huge damage, healing Evie's save the day as long as their just healing. Trying to fight with her, her staff is useless, arrows take too much stamina to consistently deal damage, and the firebolt takes way too long to set up when you've gotta boss in Macha who's gonna rip you in two hits.

Same goes for her staff. It's as strong as Fiona's Normals, but once your shield is down in one hit, you've gotta run around until its back up else because she takes too much damage. You've gotta put in the effort to get her up to being able to cast Golems. Then you can sit back and watch it pummel the Blood Prince or Gnoll King.

Yes, it is complicated, and yes, she is like Fiona. In fact, this Evie update will make her even more like Fiona (charging attacks). I agree that her burst damage is good, but as it stands, the game favors characters that do constant damage. Spear Lanns and Scythe Evies rule the day. While partying with those two characters, it's difficult to build up enough SP to use Blind Arrow (my strongest attack).

Golems are indeed very nice, but in a party, they can be a burden to other players. A high rank Golem is an absolutely enormous collection of rubble and glowing energy. Even on larger bosses, it can be difficult to see attack tells. Melee attackers can also be pinned against enemies if they find themselves next to a Golem. It really is a big wall of a thing. Letting players clip through it would alleviate some problems, but not all.

And it's not just Evie herself. When a full party of Lanns can destroy Laghodessa in seconds, that boss is broken. It reminds me of headlocking in Monster Hunter, which could turn difficult wyverns into nothing.

Make staff-wielding Evies excel at something and I'll be happy. In the meantime, I'll be patiently soloing with my Golem (the big lug).

Yeah, I've had issues with Golems myself. I was like, "fuck yeah, the Golem's got the boss's attention, it's time to fight," only to get sent flying because some attack that I couldn't see cause of the damn Golem blocking.

The OP got me interested, but all these screens make the game look awful. Is this just crappy machines running it or is the game just a mess visually?

OatmealMu

The environment textures generally aren't great. It moves pretty well, though, and since it uses Source the water's pretty. There's also a number of breakable objects. I like to fireball those and bring lesser computers to their knees.

Ashodin

BattleMonkey said:
The OP got me interested, but all these screens make the game look awful. Is this just crappy machines running it or is the game just a mess visually?
Pretty much. I just started today, check out my screens!

(also would like a playing buddy, east server)

5xtu1t.jpg

141id8j.jpg

:D

1stStrike

Banned
BattleMonkey said:

It looks pretty good in motion. It's certainly not perfect, but I don't feel disappointed by the overall appearance of the game at all. Definitely has its charms.

You know, I'm surprised they don't have special events on Christmas besides the silly Rudolf thing. I hope there's a special bonus on New Years, but I doubt it.

Cow Mengde said:
You know, I'm surprised they don't have special events on Christmas besides the silly Rudolf thing. I hope there's a special bonus on New Years, but I doubt it.

They've got a New Year's pack out with items, but that's it. The pack is kinda crappy too.

Yeah, you get a stupid title and some useless crap. The title only give +1 to a few stats. That said, I'm glad it isn't overpowered for those of us who won't pay for it.

Erasus

We're really excited to launch this page and to announce that Vindictus will be coming to Europe later this year!

Guess not...

The game is out in US and Asia. Just port it over, dont fucking translate for the 10 germans that dont know english.

1stStrike

Banned
Erasus said:
Guess not...

The game is out in US and Asia. Just port it over, dont fucking translate for the 10 germans that dont know english.

Haha, and once again, this is why I don't want to move to europe. Always screwed on games :(

Deadly

Anony said:
anyone know which map gives gold ore? (or have a gold ore to spare)
You can farm the first 2 ore patches in Blood Prince, don't kill the first boss so you won't lose tokens. It's a fuckin pain in the ass to farm for gold ore though I suggest you just buy it

Omnicent

Man a break from this game really helps. Couldn't play for a month because of work, but now things have slowed down and I can start playin:D g again. Just finished saying hello to my good friend Red Tyrant and it was excellent

I have a simple but interesting story to share and it just makes me feel really good playing this game. It happened like a week or so ago.

I was fighting a mini-boss with a party of total strangers. We kicked his ass and some of the loot fell right into the "gate" that leads to the next stage. So not everyone can get the loot if we all crowded in to get it. The thing is, nobody said a single word, some just hung back to let others grab it, and once that was done, the others who were able to get the loot backed away from the gate so that the others could get the loot. This happened twice in a row in one day, and once again a few days later. It just felt so good to see people have the courtesy to do this without having to say anything. It felt really good.

The gltiches in this game are hilarious sometimes...

So I went to select my character in the screen and usually you get to choose which one you want to play as. Except this time, when I hit Start Game, the game just automatically connects to the server. Weird.

When the game loads, my character now looks like this...

201101180000.jpg

When my character actually looks like this.

201101180012.jpg

I couldn't do anything in-game. All my items were gone, couldn't quest, but just take screenshots. And I really liked the light skin, red hair, and free underarmor too.

1stStrike

Banned
I think the big factor preventing me from playing this game atm is the fact that my gaming PC is in the basement and it's about 50 degrees down there ^_^ - I'll have to wait for it to warm up a bit lol.

1stStrike said:
I think the big factor preventing me from playing this game atm is the fact that my gaming PC is in the basement and it's about 50 degrees down there ^_^ - I'll have to wait for it to warm up a bit lol.

Crank up the graphics and let the video card heat your room.

1stStrike

Banned
Cow Mengde said:
Crank up the graphics and let the video card heat your room.

lol my room is fine... I use my laptop upstairs atm most of the time. Also, my computer can't warm up the basement. There's no insulation and that cement floor drains the warmth from everything lol

Top Bottom