• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vindictus |OT| - Auto-attacks are out, ass kicking is in.

Some of the armor is annoying now, but you can always craft the easy stuff. That's what I plan to do.

I don't have too much of an issue with the dungeon rooms simply because they last only around 10-15 minutes for me, not counting the loading. Hoarforst Depths dungeons are pretty evil so I kind of like them.

OatmealMu

Stevie update coming down the pipes. About time the squishy thing got an upgrade.

http://forum.nexon.net/Vindictus/forums/thread/7072255.aspx

Attention Mercenaries!

Big news for Evie fans. Evie’s Staff is about to be revamped in a big way! Read on to find out about all the changes that should get staff Evies really excited!

Evie’s Staff will undergo changes in the following four aspects:

1. Magic Arrow as a Basic Attack

• Fire Magic Arrows simply by pressing normal attack (mouse: left click, keyboard: S)
• Complete the bonus goal “Defeat with normal attacks” using Magic Arrows
• Keep in mind this attack will cost you stamina

2. Alchemy Box

• Take an Alchemy Box into battle with you, and now take many Alchemy Kits with you!
• Applies not only to Staff Evie but also Battle Scythe Evie
• Place the Alchemy Box into the quick slot and press the corresponding number key to use it
• Press “Esc” to close the quick slot pop-up window
• Other changes:

Mercury Binder
- No longer a secondary weapon
- Can be used like other forms of alchemy
- Activate them faster, and take more into battle with you!

Mana Pistol
- Brand new Alchemy Kit
- Learn it at Level 56 to use its large amount of firepower!

3. Mana Amber

• Press the Dodge key twice, and hold it to use this new skill
• Protect Evie even in the most dangerous situations!
• Energies from the staff solidify and surround the caster’s body
• Use Mana Amber to withstand attacks from even the strongest enemies
• Will use an enormous amount of Stamina

4. Concentration

• Perform all staff magic (with the exception of Magic Arrow) through Concentration
• Hold down Smash to fill up the gauge to use Concentration (mouse: right click, keyboard: D)
• Use a skill through Concentration by pressing a direction key
• Use the following magic skills at the appropriate level:

Concentration Level 1:

Skill:Mana Mine (Magic Mine)
Healing Corona
How to cast:press S (or the ?arrow) during Concentration Level 1
Press A (or the ? arrow) during Concentration Level 1
Descr1ption/changes:• Previously cast through Eagle Talon rank 9, now its own skill
• Can be cast quickly
• Decreased damage and duration but costs less Stamina
• Evie’s Staff healing skill is now the Healing Corona
• Allows you to restore a significant amount of HP to nearby party members
• Once healed by it, party members cannot be healed by the Healing Corona again for two minutes
• Healing Rune is no longer available

Concentration Level 2:

Skill:Firebolt
Ice Blast
How to cast:press S (or the ?arrow) during Concentration Level 2
Press A (or the ? arrow) during Concentration Level 2
Descr1ption/changes:• Now has a much shorter cooldown
• Distance has been increased but power has been decreased• Strike multiple enemies in front of you with freezing air
• Freeze regular monsters
• Increase your chance of freezing your enemy by increasing your skill rank
• Has a cooldown period before it can be used again

Concentration Level 3:

Skill:
Ice Spear
How to cast:
Press S (or the ?arrow) during Concentration Level 3
Descr1ption/changes:• Fire a sharp, powerful ice crystal straight ahead
• Powerful enough to freeze huge boss monsters!
• Freezing duration decreases each time a boss is frozen and after a certain number of times will no longer freeze them

Concentration Level 4:

Skill:Blind ArrowHow to cast:
Press S (or the ?arrow) during Concentration Level 4
Descr1ption/changes:• Fire multiple Magic Arrows forward
• Range and power have decreased
• Cooldown period has been added

Stay tuned for additional magic skills in each Concentration Level!

jediyoshi

4/8/2011 3:30 PM PDT Follow Up System Ran Alert Follow up
3/18/2011 3:27 PM PDT Follow Up System Ran Alert Follow up
2/24/2011 5:00 PM PDT Follow Up System Ran Alert Email Notification

ಠ_ಠ

JayDubya

Banned
Man, I wish I had started playing back when I got that BETA key, but this game is pretty awesome. I think the big guy, Karok, looks more my style, but for now, Lann is kind of fun. I probably will level grind a Karok as soon as he gets a US launch.

Just finished episode I with wife and a friend, doing a Lann, Fiona, and Evie; grinding all the titles and whatnot. Is there still any GAF presence in guild form on West?

JayDubya

Banned
Meditation doesn't seem worth it. Am I missing something?

I can spend 120 AP so that I can break even in well over 120 days... I guess it's a very, very long term investment strategy for AP?

JayDubya said:

I can spend 120 AP so that I can break even in well over 120 days... I guess it's a very, very long term investment strategy for AP?

Yeah, it's not very worth it... If I remember right I saw a calculation saying that it'd take 60 or 90 days to recovery the AP you spent getting Meditation to rA

I'd focus on leveling masteries first, then attack skills.

Dreavus

JayDubya said:

Not worth it.

It might be SLIGHTLY better now that they've raised the AP cap to 1000, so you wouldn't have to log in every 3 days or else risk losing any advantage it provided, but really your points are better spent elsewhere.

JayDubya

Banned
Well if you're playing and running the Daily battles each day, an extra fraction of an AP each day doesn't seem like much.

On the other hand, when I play games, I do tend to play them for the long haul.

But it appears that Meditation F => Meditation A will take a year to pay itself off. After that, it will pay handsome dividends, but my that is a long time.

On the one hand, it's a free to play Korean grindfest; it may get too tedious to want to proceed at some point. It's fun as hell now, so why not invest points in the skills I am using now?

On the other hand, it's free to play so why wouldn't I want to play it off and on for the next few years even if it gets tedious. There's no pressure like there would be with a subscription MMO.

OatmealMu

April 20th for the Stevie update. Surprisingly, I'm seeing people on the official forums who think the current staff is fine. Go figure.

JayDubya

Banned
What is going in that update? I really need to convince my buddy that stamina boosting is the way to be. :p

Sword Lann is so reliant on, and runs out so quickly of that sweet sweet green stuff.

JayDubya

Banned
I'm not sure how large the GAF community for this game is anymore, since I'm a Johnny Come Lately and all, but a lot of shit's going down in this new patch / update today.

http://vindictus.nexon.net/News/Content.aspx?boardNo=100&contentNo=00Bsv&pageIndex=1

TL;DR?

New raid boss.

New hard dungeon and a contest for speed runs on it.

Total magic redesign for Evie (and AP reset).

Stat bump items are now separate from hair and inner armor. You can now buy permanent hair and permanent inner armor all the time, no stat bumps on anything, cheaper.

Dungeon matchmaking system refined. No dungeon costs any tokens from now until May 27th (so I will be power levelling like hell and maxing out AP on Boats 2 and 3 this weekend).

Post-dungeon armor repair is now cheaper (though I wish one did not have to run to Ferghus and back, it's not like it's that long of a trip).

All of this sounds pretty great; at this point I really want to play the big guy Karok, though. Seeing him grapple the bosses in the promo video is just too awesome.

By the time he gets out I'll probably have a L60 Lann. Heh.

Deadly

JayDubya said:
I'm not sure how large the GAF community for this game is anymore, since I'm a Johnny Come Lately and all, but a lot of shit's going down in this new patch / update today.

http://vindictus.nexon.net/News/Content.aspx?boardNo=100&contentNo=00Bsv&pageIndex=1

TL;DR?

New raid boss.

New hard dungeon and a contest for speed runs on it.

Total magic redesign for Evie (and AP reset).

Stat bump items are now separate from hair and inner armor. You can now buy permanent hair and permanent inner armor all the time, no stat bumps on anything, cheaper.

Dungeon matchmaking system refined. No dungeon costs any tokens from now until May 27th (so I will be power levelling like hell and maxing out AP on Boats 2 and 3 this weekend).

Post-dungeon armor repair is now cheaper (though I wish one did not have to run to Ferghus and back, it's not like it's that long of a trip).

All of this sounds pretty great; at this point I really want to play the big guy Karok, though. Seeing him grapple the bosses in the promo video is just too awesome.

By the time he gets out I'll probably have a L60 Lann. Heh.
I think I might play abit then :lol

OatmealMu

Welp. Staff Evies don't suck anymore. They're everywhere now. Someone even asked if Stevies were the new Lanns. It might be that new car smell, though. What baffles me is the lack of Flying Sparrow. Mana Amber is nice, but at 50 stamina per use, it has it's limitations.

JayDubya

Banned
I am liking more potential healers in my various runs through tough dungeons, but I've run into a plethora of Evies that don't exactly seem to want to heal aside from emergencies.

Why I find this annoying is that if I see any party member low on health, I deliberately kick mobs into walls and throw them over cliffs for the little party heal it provides by way of red orbs. And those heals are comparatively tiny and time consuming to setup...

I think I'm just being cranky because those 80 Fine Health Potions from that quest are finally wearing down to my last few.... :(

Deadly

JayDubya said:
I am liking more potential healers in my various runs through tough dungeons, but I've run into a plethora of Evies that don't exactly seem to want to heal aside from emergencies.

Why I find this annoying is that if I see any party member low on health, I deliberately kick mobs into walls and throw them over cliffs for the little party heal it provides by way of red orbs. And those heals are comparatively tiny and time consuming to setup...

I think I'm just being cranky because those 80 Fine Health Potions from that quest are finally wearing down to my last few.... :(
I have no idea how the new healing works :lol

Deadly

Velion said:
The new heal is horrible, 3 min cooldown and its cast on the ground not directly on person.
Oh. Yeah it is terrible, get rid of the fuckin cooldown to maybe 30-1minute and then it'll actually be useful.

JayDubya

Banned
Deadly said:
I have no idea how the new healing works :lol

As I understand it...

You can cast it every 3 minutes.

A party member can only use it every 2 minutes.

It places 5 motes of healing in one location as swirling little energy balls. Throughout the course of a big fight, you can place these all over the place. When an injured hero approaches them, they consume as many motes as required to approach full health without wasting any.

The cooldowns are too long to supplant potion use, but generally just fine for the way Vindictus plays out.

Evie has her magical defenses, Fiona has her shield, and Lann can dodge. Unless you're in the middle of a boss fight, damage should not happen; if you're in a boss fight, massive damage should be fairly rare if you're doing it right. The healing is really for when someone can't use a potion, can't sit still, or needs a big surge quickly to get back into the fighting.

OatmealMu

Healing Corona is most useful in battles of attrition, like the Labyrinth. Most rooms last longer than 3 minutes, which is perfect for Corona. I lay down my high rank swirlies after each battle and the team is good to go. But really, in a game like this, players shouldn't rely on heals. This isn't an MMO where dodging is defined by a roll of the dice. Players can actively move out of the way of an attack, and that's what you should be doing! On the other hand, after watching some Lanns on the newer raids... Well, they need a dodge with range. If I'm against a wall, I can pop Mana Amber and usually come out okay. Even with invincibility frames, a cornered Lann is kind of screwed against a bigger boss.

Deadly

What's the max level now? I'm at 49 and quests are running out already. My friend has been grinding Hidden for awhile now which doesn't seem very appealing...

I think most gaffers are on West, if you're on East add me I'm saucepwn

OatmealMu

Might be into the 70s now... I'm not sure. And the grind from 51 to 52 is rough. I did Hidden over and over and over. It's best to spread it out over a few days.

JayDubya

Banned
I'm having a hard time levelling now at the late 30s. It's already slow going. The quests I'm getting require dungeons which need me to be L40+ to access. Kind of irritating.

Although really, the machinery is in place to make this bearable.

Soloing is slow and not a lot of fun. It's not the best way to go about levelling in most MMOs.

JayDubya said:
I'm having a hard time levelling now at the late 30s. It's already slow going. The quests I'm getting require dungeons which need me to be L40+ to access. Kind of irritating.

Soloing is slow and not a lot of fun. It's not the best way to go about levelling in most MMOs.

What missions do you have? There are only a few minor places where leveling slows down.

JayDubya said:

If you have any armor set quests, farming materials is always a good way to pretend you're not grinding.

Otherwise, I'm on west server if you want me to help you run through dungeons quickly. Just shoot a PM if you want me to help out.

JayDubya

Banned
Cow Mengde said:
What missions do you have? There are only a few minor places where leveling slows down.

My quests involve Hidden (L41) and Patrolling the Depths (L42). I'm 10% into L39 at the moment. That is just going to need to be a lot of grinding, which is fine, because there's still plenty of AP to milk. Don't have too many missing oaths, though.

Question: do you still get oath xp after the first time, just no BP, or is the xp bonus one time only?

ShadowgeistX said:
If you have any armor set quests, farming materials is always a good way to pretend you're not grinding.

I have loads of those, though I've noticed it's much less expensive just to buy the stuff off the AH than it is to have Ferghus or whomever craft them.

On that note, I really do need to grind up my expertise. I'm gathering mats and hoping for another expertise day. On the last one, I had just gotten to the point where I could pick an expertise. I chose Weaponsmithing and made a few fine ore and then midnight hit.

Otherwise, I'm on west server if you want me to help you run through dungeons quickly. Just shoot a PM if you want me to help out.

Sure, that sounds awesome.

My quests involve Hidden (L41) and Patrolling the Depths (L42). I'm 10% into L39 at the moment. That is just going to need to be a lot of grinding, which is fine, because there's still plenty of AP to milk. Don't have too many missing oaths, though.

Question: do you still get oath xp after the first time, just no BP, or is the xp bonus one time only?

Hidden is easy to grind. Do a 3 man run if you're good. Plenty of people join that quest. Maybe a half hour or more should get you there. I'm actually using it to grind from level 48 to level 50, and it's not too bad. Plus, I still have a few side missions.

Oath EXP bonus adds to the overall exp every time.

JayDubya said:
I'd love to, but remember you can't do missions above your level. :p

You have the Goliath battle? That fight is easy as hell and you can solo it for a good chunk of EXP. It's a little slower, but not too bad.

Honestly, this game keeps leveling at a very nice pace so far. I understand the crafting is getting out of hand, but I can always just skip the hard stuff.

JayDubya

Banned
Oh don't get me wrong, I enjoy the game and I won't be quitting an MMO over a mild hurdle. :p

I may play quite a bit less when TOR comes out, but I bet I'd still mess around with it now and again.

I'm already buying little avatar things here and there. Next month I guess I'll buy some perma inner armor.

OatmealMu

Well, it happened...

I leveled up high enough to run into one of those people. I put down Coronas twice, and both times, the host insulted me. The first one wasn't supposed to be in the middle, because they might run into the Corona and it would be wasted. The second one... I'm not sure. It was during a boss fight and I was the only Evie in a party full of Lanns. I've played long enough to know that spells trouble. So, when their health quickly went down (as it usually does) I was at the ready. Perhaps, I was too ready and shocked his feeble mind with my quickness. Funnily enough, after the second insult, my computer started acting funny and I lost connection to the host. Weird!

Before the revamp, I'd decided to never be the only Evie in a party dominated by Lanns. Every class-based game has a character that attracts a certain type of people. Usually, it's the warrior class they're attracted to -- male, muscle-bound and high DerPS. In Vindictus, the jackasses are drawn to Lann.

If you're on the East server and questing in Rocheste, watch out for someone named Pict. They have issues...

Deadly

OatmealMu said:
Well, it happened...

I leveled up high enough to run into one of those people. I put down Coronas twice, and both times, the host insulted me. The first one wasn't supposed to be in the middle, because they might run into the Corona and it would be wasted. The second one... I'm not sure. It was during a boss fight and I was the only Evie in a party full of Lanns. I've played long enough to know that spells trouble. So, when their health quickly went down (as it usually does) I was at the ready. Perhaps, I was too ready and shocked his feeble mind with my quickness. Funnily enough, after the second insult, my computer started acting funny and I lost connection to the host. Weird!

Before the revamp, I'd decided to never be the only Evie in a party dominated by Lanns. Every class-based game has a character that attracts a certain type of people. Usually, it's the warrior class they're attracted to -- male, muscle-bound and high DerPS. In Vindictus, the jackasses are drawn to Lann.

If you're on the East server and questing in Rocheste, watch out for someone named Pict. They have issues...
I don't understand...Can you be more direct? :lol What did they do exactly?

JayDubya

Banned
I just didn't want to play a female toon, so that defaults me to Lann.

Karok or the elf archer might be fine, eventually. Karok especially.

OatmealMu said:
Well, it happened...

I definitely feel for you...Lanns are pretty dumb most of the time. It's like they really have to be assclowns even when there's no reason to act that way.

Also have a massive massive hate-on for scythe evies. I've only met 1 that I could bear playing with, almost all of them are absolute trash.

OatmealMu

Not all Lanns are terrible. They tend to put me on edge, is all. I'm a pure staff Evie from before the revamp. I put up with a lot of shit from Lanns that got mad when their suicide run ended in death. Healing ruins were pretty terrible, but I was still expected to keep them alive. Hell, at one point, someone openly suggested I just sit back and heal while he spun-to-win -- to still be getting shit about my healing abilities is comical. I actually ended up quitting at around level 44 when spear Lann was king. Get a group of Lanns together and Laghodessa literally couldn't fight back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZKvtCfMzpI

The situation is a bit different now. Bosses are getting bigger, faster, and stronger. Apparently, Lanns' ability to crit was reduced, so monsters can't be stun locked so easily. A little advice for anyone using spears: look into swords if you haven't already. The later boats are rough. I just finished a 5-person Klaus run and the single spear Lann of the group got destroyed. We ran out of feathers trying to keep this guy alive. At higher levels, it seems his defensive abilities are really inadequate. Basically, you have a class that relies on constant DPS but lacks a good evasion skill. I've been running into Lanns saying they've been getting kicked from boats -- sounds exactly like what I put up with.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but... Like I said before, my demeanor definitely changes when I'm surrounded by Lanns. There's a disproportionately high amount of fucksticks that are attracted him. I don't kick Lanns from boats I'm hosting, though. And I won't forsake anyone who chooses him. But as it stands, he's total bro bait.

OatmealMu said:
Not all Lanns are terrible. They tend to put me on edge, is all. I'm a pure staff Evie from before the revamp. I put up with a lot of shit from Lanns that got mad when their suicide run ended in death. Healing ruins were pretty terrible, but I was still expected to keep them alive. Hell, at one point, someone openly suggested I just sit back and heal while he spun-to-win -- to still be getting shit about my healing abilities is comical. I actually ended up quitting at around level 44 when spear Lann was king. Get a group of Lanns together and Laghodessa literally couldn't fight back.

The situation is a bit different now. Bosses are getting bigger, faster, and stronger. Apparently, Lanns' ability to crit was reduced, so monsters can't be stun locked so easily. A little advice for anyone using spears: look into swords if you haven't already. The later boats are rough. I just finished a 5-person Klaus run and the single spear Lann of the group got destroyed. We ran out of feathers trying to keep this guy alive. At higher levels, it seems his defensive abilities are really inadequate. Basically, you have a class that relies on constant DPS but lacks a good evasion skill. I've been running into Lanns saying they've been getting kicked from boats -- sounds exactly like what I put up with.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but... Like I said before, my demeanor definitely changes when I'm surrounded by Lanns. There's a disproportionately high amount of fucksticks that are attracted him. I don't kick Lanns from boats I'm hosting, though. And I won't forsake anyone who chooses him. But as it stands, he's total bro bait.

I actually main a spear/hybrid lann. His evasion skills are good enough, but it takes a lot of effort to dodge most bosses. Does it make me a masochist if I kind of enjoy that? Probably.

Regarding scythe evies, there are still a number of them. Most likely because people think scythes are cool...guess we can thank stuff like Gundam Wing for that. Even one friend who started playing the game actually said, "oh damn, a scythe." And was going to go for it even after I told him how useless and disruptive they are in a party.

OatmealMu said:

I noticed the same thing about Lann's yesterday during the 2x EXP run. For the most part, I don't hate Lann's, and prefer to have at least one in my party. But yesterday, all the fuckheads seemed to be on. Almost every Lann yesterday would instantly leave my room for Hidden because I was a Fiona. I logged onto my guild and ask if anyone wants to join, one of the guild members joins, and he's a Lann player that instantly starts bitching about how long it's going to take to defeat the boss.

I thought about kicking him, but decided to just go ahead and get it over with since it would be quicker to win first and let him leave on his own. All of a sudden, the guild chat goes into a full swing circle jerk over Lann and about Fiona is a bad character. Even with the double EXP over, I'm not playing with assholes like that. Not every Lann is bad, but it's enough to make you think twice about letting them join your room.

OatmealMu

riceandbeans said:
I noticed the same thing about Lann's yesterday during the 2x EXP run. For the most part, I don't hate Lann's, and prefer to have at least one in my party. But yesterday, all the fuckheads seemed to be on. Almost every Lann yesterday would instantly leave my room for Hidden because I was a Fiona. I logged onto my guild and ask if anyone wants to join, one of the guild members joins, and he's a Lann player that instantly starts bitching about how long it's going to take to defeat the boss.

I thought about kicking him, but decided to just go ahead and get it over with since it would be quicker to win first and let him leave on his own. All of a sudden, the guild chat goes into a full swing circle jerk over Lann and about Fiona is a bad character. Even with the double EXP over, I'm not playing with assholes like that. Not every Lann is bad, but it's enough to make you think twice about letting them join your room.

I actually like having a Fiona in my party. I purposely lay off the mobs a little so they can build SP. For raid bosses especially, they're great to have around. Reviving teammates is a lot easier when you have someone tanking Klaus, though mana pistols do an admirable job at gaining aggro, too.

Too bad about your guild. I decided that I don't like having strings attached to me, so I'm going at it alone. Randoms aren't too bad, despite some bad experiences.

Hazaro said:
Found my other account, but no Vindictus character. Guess my Level 42 Fiona is dead.

Not sure if this is your issue, but did you check both east/west server? The characters are stored on only one server, so you can't really migrate from one to the other.

If your chars are really dead though, I don't mind helping you out if you want to rebuild one on west.

Newbies perspectives will be skewed towards Lanns, due to the easy boat 1-4 content. Raid bosses from boat 5 onward tend to favor Fionas survivability.

Now when are they adding new gauntlets to the game? Less corridor running and trash clearing, more action, plz.

Top Bottom