• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visions of Mana |OT| This Game Runs on Alm My Consoles

ahtlas7

Gold Member
Took a moment away from Wukong yesterday to finish the demo. Split playtime between Deck and Pc. It played fine on both and looked nice too. However, the font on Deck was often times difficult to impossible read. Will probably pick this up for mainly Deck play.

Reactions: Isa

Croga

This is definitely on the radar, but just too many games on the go right now. Currently enjoying Wukong.

And even holding off on this, the next couple of months are absolutely stacked with RPGs I'm interested in as well:

Metaphor
Romancing Saga 2
Ys X
Bloomtown

And others, insane few months coming up, there is just not enough time in the day for all these games lol. I ain't complaining though!

I just want to know how bad the localization is. From what I've seen of the demo, it was... pretty bad at times. Like inserting jokes/memes where there weren't, or changing an entire line on the boat at the end that probably felt too "misogynistic" for them.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I just want to know how bad the localization is. From what I've seen of the demo, it was... pretty bad at times. Like inserting jokes/memes where there weren't, or changing an entire line on the boat at the end that probably felt too "misogynistic" for them.
I'll probably play this in Japanese, but I know that's not an option for everyone. I tried the English dub/text for a bit with the demo, and it seemed... very over the top :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Japanese VO 100% for this game.

Don't expose yourself to that awful Southern Accent.
Yeah, some game I dont mind play english voices like Nier and even upcoming Metaphor which has decent english voice but this game I definitely going to play in Japanese.

Actually I'm replaying Monster Hunter World and I used wyverian voice and made me think I wish some games had its own unique language like Gravity Rush, ICO/SotC and Monster Hunter.....I think it would fit Mana series as well.

I have been studying Japanese for years and can understand about half of what is said. It's still distracting to stare at subtitles the entire time. Not to mention the voices that aren't given as text (in battles etc). You also miss out on the different dialects and regional affectations unless you are a native speaker. For example, the southern accent.

I received a call from GameStop that my copy is waiting for me to pickup on the 29th. I didn't realize until a few hours later that the 29th is Thursday, not Friday. So, I guess I'll be hitting up the mall at 10am Thursday instead!

My sealed copy of Trials of Mana is glaring at me. (I played the demo, bought the game, but never got around to playing)

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
1 Day Countdown Art Featuring Careena and Ramcoh

vNsS7r7.jpeg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Gamefly shipped the copy today, hopefully it gets delivered on Friday earliest so I can put some hours into this over the weekend.

Reactions: Isa

Fabieter

I miss the days of Amazon consistently delivering games early. That went away when they introduced Prime to Canada and suddenly games are lucky to even be shipped on release day.

There are some smaller retailers which are more likely to deliver early. I never had luck with amazon.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I briefly tried out the early access on Steam. I’m happy to say that it does shader precompilation on first startup so that’s not an issue.

For better or worse so far it’s got that old school “boy and girl enjoying life in a peaceful village until they receive the call to adventure” thing going.

I think I’m getting a lot more used to the slower and more deliberate combat compared to ToM. It’s feeling better and better for me.

Only played an hour so far but I’m eager for more. I’ll really get to spend some quality time with it tomorrow.

Danjin44

I think I’m getting a lot more used to the slower and more deliberate combat compared to ToM. It’s feeling better and better for me.
Mana series are no Tales of or Star Ocean and they are not trying to be. They have their own way of doing action combat.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Mana series are no Tales of or Star Ocean and they are not trying to be. They have their own way of doing action combat.
Trials of Mana Remake I thought was very Ys-like. Fast, simple, easy to dodge with no delay. Whereas Visions feels more weighty.

Danjin44

Trials of Mana Remake I thought was very Ys-like. Fast, simple, easy to dodge with no delay. Whereas Visions feels more weighty.
But your movement is much more smoother in Vision of Mana, you can double jump and dash mid air, you have more movement option compare to Trials of Mana.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
But your movement is much smoother in Vision of Mana, you can double jump and dash mid air, you have more movement option compare to Trials of Mana.
Yeah I like how you can dash out of it if you get knocked down. Also you can supposedly whack projectiles back at enemies although I haven’t had a chance to try that yet.

One thing I’m not crazy about is if you jump while sprinting you slow back down to your running speed. Doesn’t feel so great for someone like me who constantly jumps around like a maniac. Also I toggled auto sprint on but afaik it does nothing, I still have to click L3 to sprint. Hopefully those things will be fixed with a patch.

sigmaZ

I thought this too with the demo, but at least at the outset of Visions it feels JUST like an Ys game.

This game is frigging beautiful too despite its lower quality assets.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

Yeah I like how you can dash out of it if you get knocked down. Also you can supposedly whack projectiles back at enemies although I haven’t had a chance to try that yet.

One thing I’m not crazy about is if you jump while sprinting you slow back down to your running speed. Doesn’t feel so great for someone like me who constantly jumps around like a maniac. Also I toggled auto sprint on but afaik it does nothing, I still have to click L3 to sprint. Hopefully those things will be fixed with a patch.
I THINK yesterday I noticed that the autorun just means that when you press L3 and release it, it will keep running. So it's the MMO auto-run. I originally thought they meant it was like run all the time, but I think I misinterpreted it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
GMG keys are in, got mine activated and downloading now. (I got the Digital Deluxe so it looks like I get early access too).
Mine still says "Awaiting Key", but I got the standard edition

puppet GIF

I thought this too with the demo, but at least at the outset of Visions it feels JUST like an Ys game.

This game is frigging beautiful too despite its lower quality assets.

Dude, even if this is the very beginning of the game, at least spoiler that, not everyone bought the early access edition...

Pejo

OST is phenomenal so far, and the game is gorgeous. I have an OLED tv that I've been playing on, and it's like playing a painting with the really vibrant colors. Gameplay is still opening up but I still can't believe that they put the "Default" gear of the default character to that slow ass greatsword in the Demo. Even the 1h sword feels so much better to play out of the gate.

sigmaZ

OST is phenomenal so far, and the game is gorgeous. I have an OLED tv that I've been playing on, and it's like playing a painting with the really vibrant colors. Gameplay is still opening up but I still can't believe that they put the "Default" gear of the default character to that slow ass greatsword in the Demo. Even the 1h sword feels so much better to play out of the gate.
Only issue so far, is the first Kikuta track is lower in volume or not mastered in the same manner as the other tracks in the volcano area. Shame cause that's a cool track, it's just too quiet even on max.

Last edited:

Pejo

Well, 5 hours in, just beat the first boss (I spent a lot of time just running around collecting stuff and fighing enemies.) Honestly, my thoughts at this point are that they should have just made the demo the beginning of the game and have progress transfer over to the real game. The beginning and the drip feed/explanations of each mechanic as you unlock it makes the whole thing make so much more sense, and again, the default class is so much more fun to play than the 2H sword class.

I really enjoy the boss fights and the notorious monsters with the purple HP bars. They all have fun mechanics that force you to dodge and play more intelligently than just bashing your head against the controller. New areas continue to impress, and I can't wait to see what the rest look like. Environments and vistas are 10/10, despite the relatively simple graphics. They really pushed the art style as far as they could, and it's beautiful.

I am playing with EN dub for now, and it's mostly ok except that they have the playable character announce when they pick shit up almost every time. Gets kinda grating. The inner-party banter is fun while you're just out running around/exploring though, so I'd hate to lose that. They also gave the dragon girl one of my least favorite localized accents - the Southern US honkey tonk accent. They always try to use it to show that somebody is a country bumpkin or whatever, but I have to believe something is lost in translation there.

In the very first non-town area, I found a Crit+20% skill seed which seems insanely strong for early game for fast attacking weapons. Maybe I'm just too used to games giving you a 5% here or 10% there. Combat is really good once you understand all of the mechanics. Due to other games I currently am playing, I'm fucking up the dodge a lot, though. I'm used to it on R1 and it's default mapped to Circle. I might just go re-map it to put my mind at ease.

One thing to keep in mind is that you can double jump and air dash, and there's no cooldown or limit to consecutive times you can use the air dash. Makes it easier to collect a lot of the collectibles.

Last edited:

Poppyseed

I’m still in disbelief how the devs completely borked the mount button. Takes too long to mount, too long to dismount. It’s just not fun. Ugh.

sigmaZ

One thing I recommend for the HUD is taking off the mini-map. The items and treasure chests light up from a distance, so it's kind of cool as it guides you to where things are without relying on the map. Just wish I could turn that blasted gold star off. Has anybody figure out a way?

jshackles

Are there any good deals to find online for Steam?
I believe GreenManGaming still has the best deal for Steam:

$50.99 if you use code AUG15, or $47.99 if you sign in with an account that has VIP

Hrk69

Gold Member
It's -20% on GMG at the moment.
I believe GreenManGaming still has the best deal for Steam:

$50.99 if you use code AUG15, or $47.99 if you sign in with an account that has VIP
Thank you!

Haven't come close to beating Wu-Kong but I'm sure you guys know about a little thing called FOMO

F98hey7.png

Plus, the game looked great from the start

jshackles

Haven't come close to beating Wu-Kong but I'm sure you guys know about a little thing called FOMO
I'm about halfway through chapter 5 in Wukong, and I'm planning on dumping about 10 hours into it later today. Maybe another 5-6 tomorrow morning. Gotta clean my plate and get ready for Visions of Mana!

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Level 51 goblins in the opening area kicked my ass! Love when they do stuff like this, make some areas that are actually dangerous to explore.

PS5: performance or quality?

I can’t tell any visual difference. I do notice some stutters in quality mode.

Also, the cutscenes are rendered at 30fps, I assume to support PS4.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
PS5: performance or quality?

I can’t tell any visual difference. I do notice some stutters in quality mode.

Also, the cutscenes are rendered at 30fps, I assume to support PS4.

On PS5, based on the demo, use the Performance mode. Even if you have a VRR display, it drops far too often below the VRR range to be useful in Quality.

Last edited:
Top Bottom