• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visions of Mana |OT| This Game Runs on Alm My Consoles

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I have not used the mount since the tutorial, it's a waste cause it takes way too long to get on and off. Takes way too long to engage any battles with it.
Yeah, that’s my only criticism against this game but at the same time the game doesn’t force to use it like mount in NieR Automata, it’s there but you don’t need it.

Its like looking at a concept art come to life.....love it!
It really does. This game has come out of nowhere and gone real high up in my 'best visuals of the year' category.

Is it 'realistic'? no, but it is artistically better looking than 90% of the things that have come out this year.

The IQ is also very clean with the high resolution in the Quality mode.
I was just talking about this in the graphics thread. You guys think this game surpasses Granblue graphically? I haven't played but it looks like it could.

Danjin44

Okay, I played a few more hours and things really pick up in the first snow area. Things are starting to gel and Morley's story was nice. I should have played a bit more before posting :messenger_peace:

star-wars-yoda.gif

Sigh... I spent the last two days playing Civ 5 instead of this game, and I regret it. I mean, yeah it was fun for the most part, but the last few hours I just coasted for the win. The Civ 7 announcement had me craving the old games. Now, I have an unusually busy work week, so I hope I am not too tired to get back to this.

I also finished Let's Go Pikachu, so I can focus solely on this. That was a damn fun game. I am itching to start up my Japanese copy of the Eevee version. Then Astro Bot this weekend? Goddamn. I also have Reynatis booked for September 27. So many good games...

Anyway, it's interesting to hear you folks say that mounts aren't that useful. I was surprised they were introduced so soon. I am hoping that the game gives me a chance to go back out into the field to check those side quests before forcing me to the next story beat.

Danjin44

Anyway, it's interesting to hear you folks say that mounts aren't that useful. I was surprised they were introduced so soon. I am hoping that the game gives me a chance to go back out into the field to check those side quests before forcing me to the next story beat.
Because your characters already have good speed and mobility and I feel those mount little too big and cant double jump which makes your mount have less mobility than characters on their own and not mention clunky way you have hold square every time you want get off.

This game just doesn't need mount.

Also you can easily do all the side quests before moving on toe the main story.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Just started this tonight and man I can already see and feel the guys villain arc forming. Fate is a bitch

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Can the HUD not be moved to the sides?

Looks very out of place middled like that.
It looks fine in person, considering this monitor is almost 4 feet wide and I'm sitting about 2 feet away from it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is that 4K I haven't tried running it in 4K on my PC, but I might on my big screen if it looks that good.

It sure doesn’t look 4K. I speculate that performance is 1440 and quality is 1800.

Performance: 1080p
Quality: 1440p

per DF's coverage of the demo. I don't expect the final game to be different since it looks / performs identically. This is one of the cleanest 1440p presentations I've seen.

In the video Tom keeps calling it Unreal Engine 5, but all searches I can find online have this as an Unreal Engine 4 game.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This game is quickly climbing my GOTY list. The graphics aren't as impressive as something like Black Myth Wukong, but the art style is timeless, and presented here extremely well. It's also hitting my nostalgia buttons the same way that Rebirth did earlier this year - this is a fully realized Mana game that is everything I imagined "the future" would be when I played Secret of Mana 30+ years ago. The class system is pretty mind-blowing and deep. Traversal is extremely satisfying (except for the mount, which I agree is worthless). Battles are quick and fun, what the series is known for.

Hope this game continues to deliver.

Croga

Ended up picking this up and parking Wukong temporarily.

This is actually quite good and I've sunk 24 hours into it so far and just started Chapter 5.

The visuals and art style are top tier, and the combat, while slow, opens up nicely one you have more elemental vessels to choose from to try to put together a build of some kind.

Difficulty is all over the place though.

Normal is so easy it's a joke, meanwhile Hard has a nice challenge with bosses, but then the nemesis related enemies on the field go from "that was fine" to "lol 2 party members one shot". They also have way too much health from a difficulty bump.

Also, the party AI is shocking, but that's the Mana series for you, Trials of Mana was the same. Be prepared to watch them do shit all and stand still in aoe's and get one shot if you play on hard lol.

Gripes aside, still enjoying it and look forward to playing it further when I can.

Croga

I don’t think it got any worse than Legend of Mana on PS1. I don’t know if any JRPGs have decent party AI. Star Ocean awful. Tales of Arise pitiful. They all suck.

Some of the Tales games to be fair have semi decent AI, Graces and Berseria are fine, but can still be a bit brain dead from time to time..

Generally speaking though, if it's real time, party based combat and it doesn't have some kind of tactics or gambit system you can program yourself, it's just something you have to deal with.

For Visions on hard, best you can get is to just set the AI tactics to "staying alive" (lol) , turn off auto use of every spell, and set their elemental vessel usage to off.

Best chance for them to stay alive I've found after much trial and error.

I just use the ring menu to pause and give them orders when they are semi-safe for healing / buffing etc. Morley with a crit damage build is enough to evaporate bosses on his own while the others keep him healed / buffed and keep elemental breaks up.

This is just for bosses mind. The AI is fine for regular stuff ofc.

I remember trying Star Ocean Divine Force on "hard" and it was pointless to even try to keep the teammates alive. They would be constantly be KO'd during every boss fight.

jshackles

jshackles

How do you like the curve? For me non curved monitors are more my cup of tea
I enjoy the curve - there is a "sweet spot" that works best for me, where I can see the entire range of the monitor easily. But it's still easier to focus on the things in the middle of the screen - like the HUD as I mentioned earlier up in the thread. Sometimes if a game puts a lot of super relevant info in the far corners of the screen, I need to either 1) move back out of the "sweet spot" (which warps things a bit) or 2) move my neck / head from side to side occasionally to track that detail.

The vast majority of games that support 32:9, even unofficially, look fantastic. It's hard going back to even 21:9, let alone standard 16:9. A very worthwhile upgrade.

nikos

Impressions after nearly three hours.

The characters never shut up, and they're annoying to begin with.
I can't move for 30 seconds without a cutscene triggering.
The game is still feeding me multiple tutorials at a time.
There's way too much garbage to collect all over the map.

That said, the actual game is fun to play. It looks good, after having to mod it for ultrawide and clean up the image quality, and the soundtrack is nice so far.

Going to stick with it and see how it goes.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Major story spoiler

Kinda ballsy of the game to not only kill off the primary love interest 'magic girl' half way through, but also not to somehow magically resurrect her at all either.

Danjin44

The game's got huge zones and is doing a lot with UE4, it's not just pretty art.

I think this is probably one of my favorite SE games this gen.
It’s shame the demo did such disservice for this game. The full game is actually REALLY good but most people going ignore this game because of the demo.

Bad demo can really hurt the game.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I still can’t bring myself to play any other class besides Nightblade Morley. So satisfying hearing those crits going nonstop.

Danjin44

I still can’t bring myself to play any other class besides Nightblade Morley. So satisfying hearing those crits going nonstop.
Even if don’t use it, unlock them for each character, you can still use their abilities even use switch classes.

Same, and the more you progress into his elemental plot, the more broken he becomes...

I only switch to God Hand Careena when I want to Class Strike something, and I had to use Palamena against a Nemesis that was one of those clouds immune to physical damage, but for normal play it's Nightblade all the time.

Cao Cao

Game does not feel like a believable world where people actually live, can't enter houses, treasure loot is garbage.
Another mediocre JRPG.

You mean people leave their door locked, and don't put their life savings in a random chest lying around?! Damn, guess nobody actually lives in my hometown either...
Dragon Quest has trained a generation to break into every home, open every drawer and cabinet, dig through every sack and pot.

As for the random loot in this game, I don’t think any of the “gold” drops lying around are even remotely critical. It’s just some money, candy, etc. You can skip those. The chests have been great, with caches of money, ability seeds, gear…

Top Bottom