• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visions of Mana |OT| This Game Runs on Alm My Consoles

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Lance is great class, it somewhat plays like Lance in MH but with much more mobility......Also it great that once you unlock the ability you can use with any class.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

I can safely say I'm enjoying this game even more than Trials of Mana and I REALLY liked Trials of Mana.

I also remember people complaining about OST but I'm really enjoying the sound track so far.
Yeah. It feels much better than Trials of Mana. The demo was just shite at representing the actual gameplay experience.
The OST is great when it's not that soft waffling string music like in the wind area. The town music is serviceable and inoffensive, though upbeat Kikuta tracks are my favorite. Good thing is that if the background music bothers me, I can just pop on one of the older songs.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Played the first two hours of the game, so here are my initial thoughts:

This game is great. The music is fantastic, the graphics are whimsical, the gameplay / battles are pretty tight (though easy). Bosses and "purple named creatures" are a lot of fun and provide a decent challenge. As others have said, the demo was really not a good slice of this game, and probably actively discouraged a lot of people from playing this, unfortunately.

I used the ultra widescreen hexedit and FOV settings from the Steam community, and the ini tweaks that were posted here on the last page - game looks and runs great. At 5120x1440 I'm getting a pretty solid 75fps that rarely dips below 60. Looks amazing in 32:9, shame this isn't officially supported, but whatever it's working.

Xn2FWv8.png

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I’ve been almost exclusively playing Morley as Nightblade (Luna). He’s fun to play and crits like crazy. I’ve heard this is one of the best classes all the way til the end

I’ve been almost exclusively playing Morley as Nightblade (Luna). He’s fun to play and crits like crazy. I’ve heard this is one of the best classes all the way til the end
Yeah I haven't reached that part yet, but from what I remember from the demo, doesn't he have a passive down the line that increases his crit chance by 60 or 70%? And then, his last passive was 10% chance to one-shot any non-boss enemy on a crit? Just give him that +20% crit chance seed from the early game and spam his multi-hit attacks and everything must drop like flies...

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Yeah I haven't reached that part yet, but from what I remember from the demo, doesn't he have a passive down the line that increases his crit chance by 60 or 70%? And then, his last passive was 10% chance to one-shot any non-boss enemy on a crit? Just give him that +20% crit chance seed from the early game and spam his multi-hit attacks and everything must drop like flies...
Yup that’s exactly what I’m doing. Just unlocked the second segment for Luna and got that +70% crit rare and it’s nuts. I also see a +40% crit damage passive and one that makes critical hits decrease enemy defense.

Fabieter

So iam like level 12 in chapter 2 and I really like it so far. Don't want to rush it or anything but is it possible to finish it by the time astrobot comes out?

nikos

I only have two characters so far, and they talk way too much. Their voices are also annoying.
Go to the hidden AppData > [Your Name] Local > VisionsofMana > Config > WindowsNoEditor folder and open the Engine.ini file there.

Add the following below the existing text:

[/script/engine.renderersettings]
r.CreateShadersOnLoad=1
niagara.CreateShadersOnLoad=1

[SystemSettings]
r.Shaders.Optimize=1
sg.ViewDistanceQuality=4
sg.AntiAliasingQuality=4
sg.ShadowQuality=4
sg.PostProcessQuality=4
sg.TextureQuality=4
sg.EffectsQuality=4
sg.FoliageQuality=4
sg.ShadingQuality=4

[ConsoleVariables]
AllowAsyncRenderThreadUpdates=1
AllowAsyncRenderThreadUpdatesDuringGamethreadUpdates=1
AllowAsyncRenderThreadUpdatesEditor=1

This forces the highest graphical settings for the game with some optimisations for shader compilation to reduce stutter.

Alternatively, you can try the settings below for more specific tweaks:

[/script/engine.renderersettings]
r.CreateShadersOnLoad=1
niagara.CreateShadersOnLoad=1

[SystemSettings]
r.Shaders.Optimize=1
r.MaxAnisotropy=16
r.VT.MaxAnisotropy=16
r.Streaming.Boost=10
r.Streaming.PoolSize=4096
r.Streaming.FullyLoadUsedTextures=1
r.Streaming.UseAllMips=1
r.Streaming.MipBias=0
r.Streaming.HLODStrategy=0
r.ViewDistanceScale=5
r.LandscapeLODDistributionScale=3
r.LandscapeLOD0DistributionScale=3
r.LandscapeLODBias=-3
r.StaticMeshLODDistanceScale=0.1
r.MaterialQualityLevel=3
r.SkeletalMeshLODRadiusScale=0.03
r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=-2
r.LightFunctionQuality=2
r.AllowLandscapeShadows=1
foliage.LODDistanceScale=5
foliage.MinInstancesPerOcclusionQuery=65536
foliage.ditheredLOD=0
foliage.MinimumScreenSize=0.00000001
foliage.MaxOcclusionQueriesPerComponent=128
grass.CullDistanceScale=5
r.Shadow.DistanceScale=2
r.Shadow.CSM.MaxCascades=10
r.Shadow.MaxResolution=4096
r.Shadow.RadiusThreshold=0.005
r.MinScreenRadiusForLights=0.015
r.MinScreenRadiusForSmallLights=0.005
r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=2
r.AmbientOcclusionRadiusScale=1.5
r.DefaultFeature.AntiAliasing=2
r.TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight=0.2
r.TemporalAASamples=64
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=1
sg.ViewDistanceQuality=4
sg.AntiAliasingQuality=4
sg.ShadowQuality=4
sg.PostProcessQuality=4
sg.TextureQuality=4
sg.EffectsQuality=4
sg.FoliageQuality=4
sg.ShadingQuality=4

[ConsoleVariables]
AllowAsyncRenderThreadUpdates=1
AllowAsyncRenderThreadUpdatesDuringGamethreadUpdates=1
AllowAsyncRenderThreadUpdatesEditor=1

These push the draw distance for foliage etc X5 and the shadow distance X2 (any setting higher than 2 for shadows results in missing shadows on smaller objects and animals such as the dogs wandering around the towns).

On my RTX 4080 and i5-13600KF these settings still allow the game to run at 120+ fps at 1440p. Unfortunately these tweaks don't eliminate the pop in of enemies out in the field as these would require a .pak mod as those settings appear to be built into the game.

Thank you for posting this.

r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=1 is what I needed to sharpen the game up a bit.

Looks sharper than the Enhanced Mana Visuals mod on nexusmods while preserving the original look of the game.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I only abused it in the demo, but now that you are playing the main game, do you feel like it's a skill that makes everything else obsolete, or is it not that OP?
I don’t know about making everything else obsolete but it’s extremely powerful. Right now I have 4 of the party members and 4 elements. I only got 1 of the item to unlock segments of Morley’s elemental plot so I used it on Luna to get that +70% critical passive and it’s awesome. At this point any other class for him would be a downgrade for sure.

Especially with Val’s saber magic and Careena’s debuffs it feels really powerful. Seems like a really good setup.

Also I’m happy to say the party AI is pretty good. Val’s AI always uses the right saber element to hit the enemy’s weak point which is really nice.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I only got 1 of the item to unlock segments of Morley’s elemental plot so I used it on Luna to get that +70% critical passive and it’s awesome. At this point any other class for him would be a downgrade for sure.

Okay, I see, thanks for the feedback. That's sort of what I mean by "obsolete" in the way that you'd be stupid to choose anything else. In this case, it's not necessarily the skill, but Luna. I'm not a fan of RPGs giving you a selection of choices, but having one choice be so OP that you really don't have a choice but to use it.

However, if at the end of the day it's fun and satisfying to use, then that's not so bad. In my grand hierarchy of game design, I'd prefer fun to take priority over logical class balance.

nikos

Just when I thought the characters couldn't get any more annoying, I meet Careena.

This might turn out to be another game I spent more time tweaking than actually playing.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Am I missing something, or there's no photo mode in the game at the moment?

edit: also locked 30 FPS cut-scenes :(

Last edited:

adamsapple

The art is so cutesy, I want to eat it up with a spoon.

Playing this on Favor Quality mode on Xbox. Like Tales of Arise, it is being treated really well by the 120hz VRR and perceptually there's no judder in motion.

I do, however, notice a bit of texture streaming in camera cut in some cut-scenes. Nothing egregious but it catches the eye.

2w3KU2C.jpeg

M1Sf31F.jpeg

KBJ3QIx.jpeg

Last edited:
I do, however, notice a bit of texture streaming in camera cut in some cut-scenes. Nothing egregious but it catches the eye.
This seems to be in every unreal engine JRPG. It drives me crazy.

I do wish that VRR was actually viable on PS5. It's dumb that I have to use performance mode and degrade my graphics despite the fact that the game can hit 60fps in quality mode 98% of the time, if I don't want any stutter.

I also wish 120hz was just forced for every game.

I bought an LG C9 in spring 2020 specifically to take advantage of the upcoming PS5. Four years later and I've played three games that seem to actually take advantage of VRR, and maybe five games that utilize 120hz properly. Meanwhile, my Xbox One S handles every single game with 120hz VRR flawlessly.

Last edited:

adamsapple

I bought an LG C9 in spring 2020 specifically to take advantage of the upcoming PS5. Four years later and I've played three games that seem to actually take advantage of VRR, and maybe five games that utilize 120hz properly. Meanwhile, my Xbox One S handles every single game with 120hz VRR flawlessly.

Yeah, it's a bit of a system-level oversight you'd think they would have fixed by now like how they relented and added native 1440p support too.

adamsapple

I wish the animation for getting in/out of the mount was faster. Considering you can't immediately go from the mount into the battle animations, it becomes too tedious taking the 6~ seconds it takes to get both in and out of the mounts every time you want to fight enemies in the overworld.

I don't even know how to get off a mount. I am guessing that the first time you are given a mount, the game forces you to stay on it until you reach that port town. I just arrived there.

Regardless, based on the way mounts are presented, it seems they are intended for long travel and not just bopping around clearing out areas. If you are fighting stuff, then you probably want to just walk.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
This game truly has a beautiful artstyle. Right up there with XB3 and Tales Of Arise. Using all of the available mods to unlock the framerate on cutscenes and increase the quality of the visual tech makes it all the better. I even like the slower more deliberate combat. The developers should be proud of themselves. Hopefully it sells well.

adamsapple

I don't even know how to get off a mount. I am guessing that the first time you are given a mount, the game forces you to stay on it until you reach that port town. I just arrived there.

Hold down the square (or X on Xbox) button for a few seconds, you see a small 'dismount' circle pop up and fill itself before you can get off.

The act of getting on and off the mount is too long considering you can run into fights every 10 seconds, and there's no way to fight while mounted. You can 'run into' enemies for a small health drop, but it refills immediately.

It's a QoL thing I hope they update soon.

-

And co-signed on the visuals, so fucking good.

8uIvDzG.jpeg

TQv7NDX.jpeg

AKlWsXx.jpeg

4mhWiun.jpeg

I’m playing on hard, the normal enemies in field are pretty easy but the enemies on elemental trials are pretty tough and you have limited time to beat them.
I’m only level 10, but normal feels fair. Regular enemies are easy. Purple enemies put up a good fight. The elemental trials seem to require the opposing element to even have a chance (i.e. earth vs wind).

Danjin44

I’m only level 10, but normal feels fair. Regular enemies are easy. Purple enemies put up a good fight. The elemental trials seem to require the opposing element to even have a chance (i.e. earth vs wind).
Yup elemental weakness is really important in higher difficulty. Nemeses enemies especially hit pretty hard, they are like unique enemies in Xenoblade games.

Jedge

By the way, anybody bothered by the transparency filter/disappearing characters when you move the camera down, there's a mod I found that works to remove it. It was originally made for the demo but it works just fine in the full retail game. I uploaded it to catbox for sharing, but there's no guaranteed length of hosting so when it's gone, let me know and I can re-upload.

Scanned with Windows Defender and Virustotal:

You just unzip it and throw the 3 files in steamapps\common\VisionsofMana\VisionsofMana\Content\Paks

From steam users you need to add a "~mods" folder if you're trying to do 60fps fix FYI

The files have to be extracted to
VisionsofMana\VisionsofMana\Content\Paks\~mods
with the ~mods folder created beforehand.

Steamthread

2024 and still fucking 30fps cutscenes.
Gotta support the consoles from 2013.

It honestly doesn't bother me here. What does bother me is the lack of a prompt during the loading screen. Some of the tips might be good to know, but they zip by in a second. What is the point if no one can read them?

Danjin44

I'm currently playing through Emio - The Smiling Man since I just received my physical copy a couple of days ago, but man Visions of Mana looks gorgeous indeed. Happy that you guys are enjoying it~!
Once you get the chance give it a try, the demo doesn’t do justify to the actual game. I loved Trails of Mana and so far Vision of Mana is even better.

Hudo

So, someone posted the OST on Youtube and it's neat. Not as striking as previous OSTs, though.

But I suspect it will be gone by the end of the week because Square are quite aggressive when it comes to DMCAing people posting OSTs.

From steam users you need to add a "~mods" folder if you're trying to do 60fps fix FYI

The files have to be extracted to
VisionsofMana\VisionsofMana\Content\Paks\~mods
with the ~mods folder created beforehand.

Steamthread
This guy has a nice mod list, huh...
KARINA_nude.zip

Suspicious Futurama GIF

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
I've played for around two hours. Does the constant "walk ten steps, cutscene filled with needless dialogue - walk ten steps, cutscene filled with needless dialogue" ever end? It's been a long time since I button-mashed through so many cutscenes. Seems like so far the game is all braindead running from checkpoint to checkpoint. At least the music and graphics are really nice.

I've played for around two hours. Does the constant "walk ten steps, cutscene filled with needless dialogue - walk ten steps, cutscene filled with needless dialogue" ever end? It's been a long time since I button-mashed through so many cutscenes. Seems like so far the game is all braindead running from checkpoint to checkpoint. At least the music and graphics are really nice.
Do you enjoy JRPGs?

What you are describing is the prologue. It is giving you some backstory on two of the characters and the world itself. This is likely why the demo skipped this part. I don't know why anyone who enjoys JRPGs and is actually interested in playing the game would skip these cutscenes.

If you just want to check out the game, play the demo. Presuming you bought the game, why not just play it as intended?

adamsapple

Its like looking at a concept art come to life.....love it!

It really does. This game has come out of nowhere and gone real high up in my 'best visuals of the year' category.

Is it 'realistic'? no, but it is artistically better looking than 90% of the things that have come out this year.

The IQ is also very clean with the high resolution in the Quality mode.

Danjin44

It really does. This game has come out of nowhere and gone real high up in my 'best visuals of the year' category.

Is it 'realistic'? no, but it is artistically better looking than 90% of the things that have come out this year.

The IQ is also very clean with the high resolution in the Quality mode.
The game is not even “high tech” but it’s art direction is masterful, this is exactly why I care about good artstyle over expensive high tech graphics.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Do you enjoy JRPGs?

What you are describing is the prologue. It is giving you some backstory on two of the characters and the world itself. This is likely why the demo skipped this part. I don't know why anyone who enjoys JRPGs and is actually interested in playing the game would skip these cutscenes.

If you just want to check out the game, play the demo. Presuming you bought the game, why not just play it as intended?
I like good JRPGs that include interesting characters and a decent story. That's why I'm asking if the whole game is like the first few hours. I feel no shame in mashing through the conversations if they aren't saying anything worth reading. Not like I'm going to get lost in this game with a big fat star to follow. I can already see this hick dragon girl's gonna get on my nerves :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Danjin44

The locals are so gorgeous it’s waste to use mount.

Seriously this game didn’t need mount, your characters already super fast and mobile.

Top Bottom