• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

Vodh

there's an ultimate edition? how much is it? i love ridge racer games but i was really turned off by the high price of admission before.

Yep, and it's got pretty much everything included. Normally it's 19.99, but on the b-day sale it's 9.99 which after playing it for an hour is a great price as long as you know what to expect from a Ridge Racer.

Edit: Fucking aye, top of the page! Buy the Ridge Racer, it's a cool franchise. And get the Motorstorm RC while the price is so ridiculously low.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I haven't played it yet so no need to backup saves. I don't mind re-downloading it, but would deleting the file actually solve the problem...?
Far as I know that won't fix it. There have been numerous complaints from users to allow purchase of PS+ freebies, for complete ownership or just to show appreciation and support.

btkadams

Yep, and it's got pretty much everything included. Normally it's 19.99, but on the b-day sale it's 9.99 which after playing it for an hour is a great price as long as you know what to expect from a Ridge Racer.

Edit: Fucking aye, top of the page! Buy the Ridge Racer, it's a cool franchise. And get the Motorstorm RC while the price is so ridiculously low.

wait, the ridge racer vita game that is 12.49 on the store includes all of the dlc???? sorry for the endless questions.

as long as i get a full ridge racer experience for $20 or less, i am sooo down.

Vodh

The cars are all just skins, you need Pro-Am Festival and Carnival Festival for more tracks.

Also, there's a double expansion pack, you save about 40% when you get them both together. Which I didn't know, so I already bought them separately :(

zroid

Banned
just go back to fire emblem

okayguy.jpg

Vodh

wait, the ridge racer vita game that is 12.49 on the store includes all of the dlc???? sorry for the endless questions.

All except for like 1 song and 2 car reskins for some reason, which means it's got all the other songs, cars and all the tracks in. You just have to manually download each and every one of them. I'd say good enough for the price.

kiyomi

So, I'm a Final Fantasy noob, which do I get? FFVII?

VII is alright, I don't think it's aged that badly outside of the bizarre 3d models. Played it for the first time last year, it's a decent JRPG.

I don't think you can really go wrong with any of them
lol VIII
, since the answers people give you are mostly just going to be whichever one is their favourite or they have great nostalgic memories of.

My own personal bias swings towards IX. I love the late game dungeons in that.

btkadams

As Jeff Gerstmann says, "Your first Final Fantasy is usually your favorite."
so true.
All except for like 1 song and 2 car reskins for some reason, which means it's got all the other songs, cars and all the tracks in. You just have to manually download each and every one of them. I'd say good enough for the price.
that's awesome. i am definitely getting it then. i played the shit out of ridge racer 7.

zroid

Banned
I'm sorry ): I got lucky and was able to get my order yesterday, so hopefully Best Buy CA gets your order to you quickly.

Actually I'm playing it right now :D

Not only did I get my online pre-order yesterday, but I managed to get another copy in-store with an art book! So yeah I have two copies...

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
So, I'm a Final Fantasy noob, which do I get? FFVII?

im in a similar boat duder..

only played about an hr of FF7 back on the pc years ago, couldnt really progress since the gfx card was effed up.....watched my neighbor play ff8, so no desire to play that. tried FFTactics from free ps+ and was really turned off by it....played maybe 2-3 discs of FF9. loved it. for somereason i never finished it - i think cause i borrowed it from a friend...

not really sure what to purchase... i def want 9 as that and 10 are my favorites...

but so many people say good things about 4 and 6 iirc.

kinda want 7, but not sure if i can handle the antiquity of it.

Actually I'm playing it right now :D

Not only did I get my online pre-order yesterday, but I managed to get another copy in-store with an art book! So yeah I have two copies...
Oh then that's easily fixed

Just take a post-it note and write Final Fantasy Tactics on it then paste it over Fire Emblem. You might notice that it's just like the game you're playing now, but you're playing FFT in spirit and you paid $40(or $35) for it~!

Vodh

Motorstorm RC has some damn awkward controls and the camera work takes some time to get used to, but it does seem like an awful lot of fun :) (just a bit ruined by how much the car selection is flooded by the ones you have to buy from PSN store). Still wish there was an option to have a camera follow the angle of the RC.

Anilusion

Anybody else having problems adding funds to your wallet? Getting error e-80551071 on my vita and "invalid credit card information" on pc, even though its the exact same card I have used loads of times already. It hasnt expired or anything.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Wow this week free PSM is great!

just because of the free crap?

See the other big side here my friend, see how bad PSM is, Blue skies is a freaking $7 on PSM, $2.99 on iOS,this is pure awful pricing, the game is not even good,it's like devs think Vita and Xperia guys only have PSM as an option.

PSM is damaging the PlayStation brand really hard with this lack of quality,lack of content,lack of apps and bullshit pricing,It's a bad "PlayStation" service, Sony should really consider ending this service before it burn its bad reputation on everything PlayStation and Xperia.

only played about an hr of FF7 back on the pc years ago, couldnt really progress since the gfx card was effed up.....watched my neighbor play ff8, so no desire to play that. tried FFTactics from free ps+ and was really turned off by it....played maybe 2-3 discs of FF9. loved it. for somereason i never finished it - i think cause i borrowed it from a friend...

not really sure what to purchase... i def want 9 as that and 10 are my favorites...

Yeah, everyone I ask says something different. Seems like VII is the most popular one but I've also heard some people really dislike it. I never owned a console that even had FF games til the PS2 came around. At that point I kinda just ignored the series though I regret doing that. I was a Genesis/N64 kid so I never even thought twice about any of them. While everyone was drooling over Kingdom Hearts I still went 'meh' at the thought of it, lol.

Ponn

Banned

Well, everyone should take advantage of the sale now.

As far as what to start with it I would suggest starting with FF IV complete. Looks beautiful on Vita, you get the complete updated package and can form your own opinion on sprites vs. psone era. From there move to FFVI and then go to FFVII. End with the godly FFIX. Get those 4 and you will be good. Depending on your experience and what you loved or hated you can go back and pick up the rest or not.

See the other big side here my friend, see how bad PSM is, Blue skies is a freaking $7 on PSM, $2.99 on iOS,this is pure awful pricing, the game is not even good,it's like devs think Vita and Xperia guys only have PSM as an option.

PSM is damaging the PlayStation brand really hard with this lack of quality,lack of content,lack of apps and bullshit pricing,It's a bad "PlayStation" service, Sony should really consider ending this service before it burn its bad reputation on everything PlayStation and Xperia.
Problem with PSM is it doesn't offer anything over android/iOS games. I know some people don't care for trophies, but adding trophies to PSM games would at least give an incentive to buy the PSM version over the probably identical and probably cheaper one on Google Play on my cellphone (which is PlayStation certified by the way, lol).

kiyomi

The only disadvantage that IX has is that the combat can seem pretty slow because some of the animations take a while. Other than that, it's a damn solid game.

I've never understood that complaint really. After the first couple of times using an Eidolon, doesn't the animation skip a whole bunch? I always thought VIII was the worst for slow battles. You had to sit through 50 second cut-scenes every time you wanted to do an enemy any damage. And the button mashing and timing stuff.. gurghh

Anyway yes, IX is the best. Let's all agree. ;)

Mr E.

Downloaded RO. Got to the part where you whack an enemy into the air and your character jumps up and hovers whilst you whack it again.

Pause, swipe, hold and delete quickly followed. Filesize was really small surprisingly.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Are the sale prices already up? All FF games are still 5$ for me on US PSN, or was 9,99 the standard price?

I've never understood that complaint really. After the first couple of times using an Eidolon, doesn't the animation skip a whole bunch? I always thought VIII was the worst for slow battles. You had to sit through 50 second cut-scenes every time you wanted to do an enemy any damage. And the button mashing and timing stuff.. gurghh

kuja.jpg

cyborg009

Banned

I do agree with you with the situation of PSM. This is like how most PS minis were IOS ports but charging $5 for something that is 0.99.

And the Apps section of the PSM is just terrible.

Noi

FF9 ain't my favorite, but it's still pretty good.

It's not just Eidolons, the overall pace to the game is a lot slower than most FF's. Attack commands are slow to execute, Magic tends to have lengthy effects, Trance activation takes longer than it needs to (and is un-skipable), etc. FF8 rivals it in some parts, but some parts like regular attacks are faster.

At least the GFs in 8 give you an incentive for longer animations with the Boost command to increase damage.

I didn't mean the Eidolons, I actually meant the regular attack animations. They are a lot longer than most other RPGs. While it might only add a second per attack, that stuff adds up in the long run.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
No problem~

I don't get the pricing, though. Maybe games with multiple discs are $9.99 while the others are $5.99?

EDIT: Hm, no, that can't be it. Syphon Filter had multiple discs but all 3 of those games are $5.99.

High demand games = $9,99
:p

Wouldnt be surprised if the $9,99 games are the top sellers among the PS1 classics.

Noi

I was gonna say SE tax, but Tomb Raider 1 is also 9.99 while the sequels are 5.99.

So it's more like "people are gonna buy these anyway" tax.

kiyomi

It's not just Eidolons, the overall pace to the game is a lot slower than most FF's. Attack commands are slow to execute, Magic tends to have lengthy effects, Trance activation takes longer than it needs to (and is un-skipable), etc. FF8 rivals it in some parts, but some parts like regular attacks are faster.

At least the GFs in 8 give you an incentive for longer animations with the Boost command to increase damage.

I didn't mean the Eidolons, I actually meant the regular attack animations. They are a lot longer than most other RPGs. While it might only add a second per attack, that stuff adds up in the long run.

Points taken!

btkadams

it has nothing to do with top-sellers and everything to do with square-pricing.

although the top-selling psn psone games are most definitely the ff games.

Top Bottom