• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

VanWinkle

Yeah, also the reason I was playing it a bit longer now. Trying to push a bit through it.

Escape Plan Demo is pretty representative for the full version. How about Hustle Kings?

I haven't played the Hustle Kings demo so I'm not sure. Sorry :/ I'm sure the gameplay is representative though.

Famassu

Out of the ones on the sale, my picks:

FFIV Complete Collection is really, really good, and looks gorgeous on the Vita screen.

FFVI is another great one, and looks fantastic as well.

FFIX is one of my favorites of the PS1 era.

FFVII hasn't aged terribly well, in both visuals and stories. I loved it back in 97, when I first played it, but subsequent replays have not been kind to it.

I hated FFVIII with a passion. The worst of the PS1 FF's in my opinion. Which is a shame, because the world is kind of cool, but I couldn't stand the characters. I didn't like a single one of them. It was like the Twilight version of teenagers, in a FF game. The magic and "junctioning" system was garbage as well.

Just my thoughts. Can't go wrong with IV: CC, VI, or IX. And Tactics.
FFVII & VIII have both aged a lot better than IX. IX is SOOOOOOOO SSSSSSLLLLLLOOOOOOOOWWWWWW it's almost unplayable. And the story is a copy of FFVII, but VII does most of it better, so not sure where you get the "FFVII story is dated" either. IX looks better, of course, but VIII has the best OST of the three while IX's is the worst.

Shadow780

Yes.

Also Shadow do you know the best setting for Duodecim on Vita? :)

I'm not used this tbh used to play everything on PSP

Like Bi linear filter on? Etc idek WTF that even is SMH. Don't want it to look so damn GRAINY.

To each of their own but I'd go with default no filtering. No more clawing the camera!

Shahed

Okay Vita GAF, pick what I play next.

Just finished Valkyria Chronicles 2 and wondering what to move onto next. While I've got loads of other games also, I've narrowed it down to 3. Parasite Eve 1, Legend of Mana or Breath of Fire IV? I've also got Parasite Eve 2 and the 3rd Birthday, so if I play the first game, should I play all three back to back or mix it up with the other two mentioned games?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
im curious Toto, what games do you like? Seems like you hate EVERY game past, present and future haha

Persona 3 Portable is one of Totos favourites.

Just finished Valkyria Chronicles 2 and wondering what to move onto next. While I've got loads of games, I've narrowed it down to 3 potentials. Parasite Eve 1, Legend of Mana or Breath of Fire IV? I've also got Parasite Eve 2 and the 3rd Birthday, so if I play the first game, should I play all three back to back or mix it IP with the other two mentioned games?

Play Parasite Eve so you can play Parasite Eve 2 so you can never, ever play 3rd Birthday!

Out of the ones on the sale, my picks:

FFIV Complete Collection is really, really good, and looks gorgeous on the Vita screen.

FFVI is another great one, and looks fantastic as well.

FFIX is one of my favorites of the PS1 era.

FFVII hasn't aged terribly well, in both visuals and stories. I loved it back in 97, when I first played it, but subsequent replays have not been kind to it.

I hated FFVIII with a passion. The worst of the PS1 FF's in my opinion. Which is a shame, because the world is kind of cool, but I couldn't stand the characters. I didn't like a single one of them. It was like the Twilight version of teenagers, in a FF game. The magic and "junctioning" system was garbage as well.

Just my thoughts. Can't go wrong with IV: CC, VI, or IX. And Tactics.

FF8 is a great game. I liked it when I originally played it as I did FF7 and FF9.
You're right, FF4: Complete should also be amazing as FF4 is the best 16-bit FF ever made.
FF6 was great when I was 13 or so. But there's just something off about it. It's a good game, but I don't feel it deserves anywhere near the level of praise people heap upon it. And the load times for the random battles in the PSX port? No thank you.

mauaus

Just finished Valkyria Chronicles 2 and wondering what to move onto next. While I've got loads of other games also, I've narrowed it down to 3. Parasite Eve 1, Legend of Mana or Breath of Fire IV? I've also got Parasite Eve 2 and the 3rd Birthday, so if I play the first game, should I play all three back to back or mix it IP with the other two mentioned games?

BREATH OF FIRE 4!!!

Kerub

Banned
I'm having tons of fun with the new Ragnarok demo (eu). Kind of suprised after hearing some negative impressions.

RpgN

Guys, so I'm playing Ridge Racer for the first time and there are only 3 tracks. I read you have to DL all the DLC yourself but where? It sure as hell isn't anywhere in my DL history.

Don't tell me Sony fucked up again?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Guys, so I'm playing Ridge Racer for the first time and there are only 3 tracks. I read you have to DL all the DLC yourself but where? It sure as hell isn't anywhere in my DL history.

Don't tell me Sony fucked up again?

I don't get it.
You need to buy the DLC from the PSN store.

Famassu

Play Parasite Eve so you can play Parasite Eve 2 so you can never, ever play 3rd Birthday!

3rd Birthday is a good game, anyone who thinks they might like fun shooter RPG-lites should definitely give it a go. At least if they can stomach Toriyama's storytelling.

Shoyz

About to try my copy of Monster Monpiece that just arrived (2 day transit from Hong Kong to California, 6 day transit to my state).

While I didn't really get a discount for buying the Asian version, I can confirm that you do in fact get a code for Neptune on the inside of the box, which is why I took the risk on it :) Although fyi, to my surprise the code is region-locked to Hong Kong/Malaysia/Singapore/Taiwan/Indonesian PSN accounts, incompatible with JP accounts. I was going to go JP but I suppose this makes the decision for me! Hope there are Asian versions of other games I decide to preorder later.

Edit: Switch already paying off, English Samurai & Dragons
Edit2: While I wasn't planning on playing it a second time, Jetpack Joyride oddly costs HK$32 ($4).

3rd Birthday is a good game, anyone who thinks they might like fun shooter RPG-lites should definitely give it a go. At least if they can stomach Toriyama's storytelling.

alas, I could not stomach it. I tried, and I'll agree that the gameplay is decent, that story is just god awful

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
when is that PS+ year sub sale* end??

i dont want to miss out.

also, if im in the middle of a monthly sub, will it roll over into the year i buy and stack?

* by sale i mean the extra 3 free months?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Work internet is shit today, but I finally managed to download Knytt Underground, and Aqua Kitty.

Aqua Kitty: Charming and fun. Really enjoying it.

Knytt: Underground Vita: Visually beautiful, and the non-linear, almost Metroid (and Metroidvania) style game design is intriguing. Not too far into it, but I'm enjoying it as well. I wouldn't have paid $14.99 for it, but $8.99 was good ($10 and under is my sweet spot for PSN titles). I took a few screens, but I'll have to post them when I have time, since my break is over.

RpgN

I don't get it.
You need to buy the DLC from the PSN store.

I bought the ultimate edition that is supposed to have the gold and sliver pass. I'm supposed to have extra tracks, courses and music but they're not in the game or on my DL history in the store. Did I understand things wrong?

3RD BIRTHDAY IS NOT A GOOD GAME.

No let me rephrase that.

The gameplay isn't terrible. Its repetitive and completely filled with arena rooms but it isn't terrible. The story however...the story isn't just stomach thrashing...IT'S THE GOD DAMN WORST PIECE OF FUCKING SHIT THAT HAS EVER BEEN PUT ON A DISC AND SOLD. IT KILLED WHAT IS PERHAPS ONE OF MY FAVORITE SERIES *...ok that isn't true. I didn't like PS2. PS1 is without a doubt one of my favorite games of all times.

This isn't hyperbole people. You thought Other M was bad? You thought that killed a character? NO. AYA BREA IS DEAD TO ME NOW. FUCK THAT GAME.

*right behind FFXIII

I bought the ultimate edition that is supposed to have the gold and sliver pass. I'm supposed to have extra tracks, courses and music but they're not in the game or on my DL history in the store. Did I understand things wrong?

No you should have them, try looking at the dlc in the store, perhaps it's now free for you

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Oh, had no idea there was such a thing...
If it's not in your download history.... uh oh Sony.

Sorry man.
Check the PSN store and go the the DLC section for Ridge Racer. See if the Gold and Silver passes have prices or whether they show as free for you.

Shadow780

No let me rephrase that.

The gameplay isn't terrible. Its repetitive and completely filled with arena rooms but it isn't terrible. The story however...the story isn't just stomach thrashing...IT'S THE GOD DAMN WORST PIECE OF FUCKING SHIT THAT HAS EVER BEEN PUT ON A DISC AND SOLD. IT KILLED WHAT IS PERHAPS ONE OF MY FAVORITE SERIES *...ok that isn't true. I didn't like PS2. PS1 is without a doubt one of my favorite games of all times.

This isn't hyperbole people. You thought Other M was bad? You thought that killed a character? NO. AYA BREA IS DEAD TO ME NOW. FUCK THAT GAME.

*right behind FFXIII

Still better than KH, COME AT ME BRO

Shahed

Damn a lot of hate for The 3rd Birthday, but I kind of expected that. I'm aware that I could hate it, especially since I don't like Toriyama's storytelling. But I own it and I just can't now play, even moreso if i find I like Parasite Eve

RpgN

Oh, wait a sec. You have to go to the DLC section of the game and suddenly all courses, music and cars are free. What a weird way of handling this. Off to hoarding all that junk :D

Oh, wait a sec. You have to go to the DLC section of the game and suddenly all courses, music and cars are free. What a weird way of handling this. Off to hoarding all that junk :D

Damn that is weird, glad you got it sorted though, with all the extras it is a pretty good game :)

Looks great too

RpgN

No you should have them, try looking at the dlc in the store, perhaps it's now free for you

Oh, had no idea there was such a thing...
If it's not in your download history.... uh oh Sony.

Sorry man.
Check the PSN store and go the the DLC section for Ridge Racer. See if the Gold and Silver passes have prices or whether they show as free for you.

Phew, false alarm. That's exactly where they were, I've never seen this way of offering DLC before. Thanks for your help!

No let me rephrase that.

*right behind FFXIII

I don't agree with you. 3rd Birthday is an excellent shooter, with an epic scope and great setting. Story is crazy but drives the narrative along. Graphics are stunning, and the gameplay is much improved on Vita with the second analog stick.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

No let me rephrase that.

The gameplay isn't terrible. Its repetitive and completely filled with arena rooms but it isn't terrible. The story however...the story isn't just stomach thrashing...IT'S THE GOD DAMN WORST PIECE OF FUCKING SHIT THAT HAS EVER BEEN PUT ON A DISC AND SOLD. IT KILLED WHAT IS PERHAPS ONE OF MY FAVORITE SERIES.

My man.

I'm glad someone was here to hold the fort on protecting "my waifu" from people seeing Square's character assassination attempt.

No, it's an awful piece of shit that shat on my waiting 10 years for a sequel to PE2 face with no answers to the main plot device (why was Aya killed on her wedding day!?) nor answers the cliff-hanger to PE2.

Fuck Square and double fuck Toriyama. Way to pay back my loyality, asshats.

ZeroAKA

Damn that is weird, glad you got it sorted though, with all the extras it is a pretty good game :)

Looks great too
Isn't that process about the same as the Wipeout HD/Fury add-on? If you already owned Wipeout HD/Fury for PS3, the DLC showed up as free in the store.

I don't agree with you. 3rd Birthday is an excellent shooter, with an epic scope and great setting. Story is crazy but drives the narrative along. Graphics are stunning, and the gameplay is much improved on Vita with the second analog stick.

We all of us make mistakes in our lives, it's a part of growing up.

My man.

I'm glad someone was here to hold the fort on protecting "my waifu" from people seeing Square's character assassination attempt.

No, it's an awful piece of shit that shat on my waiting 10 years for a sequel to PE2 face with no answers to the main plot device (why was Aya killed on her wedding day!?) nor answers the cliff-hanger to PE2.

Fuck Square and double fuck Toriyama. Way to pay back my loyality, asshats.

<3!!!

Famassu

No let me rephrase that.

*right behind FFXIII
Well, lucky for you it's not really a Parasite Eve game so if they ever decided to get back the license and do a Parasite Eve 3 that acts like 3rd Birthday never happened(and Toriyama didn't have anything to do with it), they very easily could. It's not even semi-official canon to the Parasite Eve story, unlike Metroid: Other M is to Metroid, it's more of a Toriyama fan fic that could (& should) be ignored, as far as story goes.

Can't really see why you'd care so much about the story, though, it's not like Parasite Eve 1 is God tier in that respect. It's dark yet somewhat goofy C grade shit like Resident Evil. Enjoyable, but not something I personally go apeshit over when sequels don't "do it justice." 3rd Birthday just adds Toriyama's unneeded time travel fetish & stupid twists into the mix.

I have more fun actually playing 3rd Birthday than the first game, which is all that matters to me (the PE1 combat system has a neat-o concept, but it never really evolves into anything truly great, whereas 3rd Birthday is exciting and gets you really involved into the battles)

Top Bottom