• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The only time I've felt compelled for such a grip was in games with constant touch-pad use where you'd otherwise rest your fingers.

Once again: Backtouch is the worst gimmick Sony could've thought of. It gets in the way 10/10 of the time whenever backtouch-enabled games have it. So awful.

The only time I've felt compelled for such a grip was in games with constant touch-pad use where you'd otherwise rest your fingers.

I have big hands. A grip is necessary for me to play more than 15 minutes comfortably. Plus I have carpal tunnel so hand cramping and wrist irritation become annoying trying to hold the Vita without touching the back touchpad.

To add, picked up FF 7, 8, and 9 during the sale and I must say they have held up ok. I didn't expect to be wowed by the graphics but the cutscenes still looking awesome for such old games!

Fusebox

Banned
I want a set of grips. What's the best ones?

I (very nervously and hesitantly) bought Ridge Racer Complete last night. It got terrible reviews pretty much everywhere so I accepted the risk because I love RR and goddamn if I'm not loving it! To be fair if I had paid $50 and not got the DLC I'd be pissed, but for $18 I'm happy. The physics are intact, the graphics are solid. I wish it had a normal championship mode instead of this ghost shit but apart from that color me surprised and happy.

Once again: Backtouch is the worst gimmick Sony could've thought of. It gets in the way 10/10 of the time whenever backtouch-enabled games have it. So awful.

Agree I could do without the back touch pad 10 out of 10 times. It just hinders me from holding the Vita correctly with my giant meat claws

cyborg009

Banned
Also Corrosive: You're right, beat the Skeleton boss and you get the next few (or at least one, so far) missions unlocked. Gotta beat that set and see if another two unlock.

Yes. Exactly. Vic was asking too much for what he was giving to a certain niche group. Good for that "niche group" that wants physical but it's too late in the PSP game to go UMD releases for Japan localizations that are iffy.

Now, if he kickstartered a localization/license for Type-0, Eternal Punishment, and Last Ranker, he'd have my money. But a first person dungeon crawl? I already have that with Persona 1, kthx.

Won't be able to license.

Also could someone translate?
https://twitter.com/sofmap_nihon2/statuses/299123016711929856

Sold out again?

I (very nervously and hesitantly) bought Ridge Racer Complete last night. It got terrible reviews pretty much everywhere so I accepted the risk because I love RR and goddamn if I'm not loving it! To be fair if I had paid $50 and not got the DLC I'd be pissed, but for $18 I'm happy. The physics are intact, the graphics are solid. I wish it had a normal championship mode instead of this ghost shit but apart from that color me surprised and happy.

PDP trigger grips are decent I have those. I've also heard good things about the Hori grips too. All the grips stateside have their positives and negatives so I would suggest looking them all up and doing a little research on which one fits your hands and whatnot

MarkusRJR

What're the chances they announce a Vita revision soon? I'm thinking of picking up a new white Vita and giving my older one to a friend. If there's a good chance or a slim Vita I'd wait.

Agree I could do without the back touch pad 10 out of 10 times. It just hinders me from holding the Vita correctly with my giant meat claws
Yup. Back touch sucks major ass. The only times I ever find it useful/cool is when I'm web browsing or playing Jetpack Joyride.

zulux21

What're the chances they announce a Vita revision soon? I'm thinking of picking up a new white Vita and giving my older one to a friend. If there's a good chance or a slim Vita I'd wait.

i'd say about a 10% chance or so...
my money is on a revision next year as well as the bigger memory cards next year and the increase of the limit size of the games from 3 to 8gb or so next year.

i expect the only major change to the vita hardware this year will be the price.

Shoyz

akd2xSO.png

A few Monster Monpiece impressions, goods:
~Medium Import Friendly. There's a decent chunk of storyline here and there, and it's difficult to get a grasp on the advanced card mechanics, but it's very playable.
The transformations are very adult. However, the 'rubbing' mechanic seems entirely optional and the only difference it makes is that tapping fills the meter faster, rubbing gets more of a reaction out of the character (blushing/moaning). Each card has 3 or so spots on them you'll need to find each filling about a third of the meter (sometimes 2 for easier cards), you can choose to simply hyper-tap them instead to bypass most of it.

Gameplay consists of taking turns summoning a monster card. Each turn you gain 3 Mana, every monster has a Mana cost to summon. They come in 4 Jobs: Warriors, Archers (Can attack an extra block away), Clerics (Healing Spells), Dark Mages (Buff Spells). You seem to place Mages behind other units to buff them. After summoning you go into an attack phase where you either attack what's directly in front of you, or move forward and attack if then applicable. Summoned units stand still for their turn unless they have a movement skill (blue arrow icon, lets them move on summoned turn), and attack directly in front if applicable.
(Tip: This means you'll typically want to spawn your monster 2 units away from the enemy's, so that they'll move closer, and then you'll move in for the first strike. 1 unit away will get you hit first).
Should one of your monsters reach the end of their field, you'll hit their (life points?) directly for 1 damage. Fodder NPC have 1 life each so reaching it is a win, bosses tend to have more, bear in mind I'm not far in yet.
There are of course more advanced mechanics I haven't doven much into yet. All monsters have a 'type' (such as Dragon, Bird, Hybrid). You can summon a monster of the same type onto another to buff it in place of summoning it separately. There are also various skills they can have, and various buffs that can be applied when certain units are summoned in conjunction, but that's a bit of a language barrier atm.
You can't win by pushing one row, as they can endlessly clog it with summons. You need to pressure two at the same time for one hit to be unblockable.
For each battle won you earn money and 'P-Points'. Money can be spent on card packs of 1 or 3 cards, and P-Points (among items) are spent evolving the cards.

Bads:
Card packs have very repetitive draws, although there is a large variety.
(Potential bad) Evolving cards (strengthening) them strips them of clothing, whether this is a good or bad feature is up to you. The evolution is something you wouldn't want to be caught doing!
No Screenshots.
Seemingly no way to view the card artworks in full-size outside of transformations. Could be I just haven't found it, but if there isn't, ouch!
There's DLC for in-game boosts (free cards, evolutions, etc).

To summarize I'm having a lot of fun with it at the moment (despite the difficulty curve), although I'm not sure I'd recommend it. It takes some effort to play past the language barrier, nevermind the partial-nudity. But it's definitely worth a try for anybody who's willing to put the effort and likes CCGs with fanservice. And of course, the chance of hell freezing over that this will ever get localized.

Only just caught on that my fav Vita game's got a sequel due out March 20!
Pro Baseball/Yakyuu Spirits 2013!
Also hitting PS3 and (still!) PSP again... will be interesting to see if the sales numbers have started to transition at all, last year first week sales were 60,141 for PSP version, vs only 17,264 for Vita version.

daoster

i'd say about a 10% chance or so...
my money is on a revision next year as well as the bigger memory cards next year and the increase of the limit size of the games from 3 to 8gb or so next year.

i expect the only major change to the vita hardware this year will be the price.

With how horrible Vita did for Sony in their results, even bundled with the PSP, they might as well revise the Vita and relaunch it with a lower price point... Preferably much lower

Forgive me if I'm late cause this thread moves fast but Amazon is once again running the $20 off promotion for Mlb 13 when you purchase both the vita and ps3 version. They have their preorder page up here. http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...d_t=101&pf_rd_p=1485632262&pf_rd_i=3010556011

Only just caught on that my fav Vita game's got a sequel due out March 20th! Also hitting PS3 and (still!) PSP again... will be interesting to see if the sales numbers have started to transition at all, last year first week sales were 60,141 for PSP version, vs only 17,264 for Vita version.

The psp version is gonna have a bargain price this year of like 4,000 yen but it's supposedly missing some modes.

Riddy

Are there enough players online? Was torn between that and RRPSP, and even though I went with RRPSP for its single player tours and tons of content, I'm still thinking about getting RRV anyway for online play and better graphics (RRPSP, as incredibly fun as it is, has not held up well graphically)

Where is this on the store? i can't find it.

$18?

psblogEU said:
Ridge Racer – Utimate Edition
Was €24.99/£19.99, now €12.99/£9.99
Additional 10% off for PS Plus members
that's 10.00 GBP = 15.6800 USD

+

Buy the MotorStorm®RC Complete Edition for PS Vita and get the PS3™ version AT NO EXTRA COST (that's the US store version). Its a bit pricer than the euro store but its complete and you get the PS3 version :O

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...tion/cid=UP9000-PCSA00027_00-MSRCCOMPLETEEDIT

Tizoc

My 32 GB is almost full lol. I've got under 5 GB space remaining. Sly 4 and Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus have taken a lot of space!
They need to release a 64 GB already XO.

bradigor

I'll be getting a 32GB soon, so don't worry. As soon as I do that, they'll announce the 64GB for the current price of the 32 :)

Tizoc

I'll be getting a 32GB soon, so don't worry. As soon as I do that, they'll announce the 64GB for the current price of the 32 :)

Just an FYI that me and bro bought the Vita WITH a 32 GB~

Also looks like Rocketbirds is releasing ot Vita next week. Here's hoping for a bundle of PS3+Vita versions.
For that matter, why there wasn't at least a bundle for Sine Mora bogles my mind. I would've gotten both ver. for $15 =/
Speaking of which, i should prob. get the PC ver. next time it goes on sale...or maybe just get it at its current price for supporting the dev...hmmm...

Tell me about it =_= I was playing Sly 4 and the damn arrow kept popping up BECAUSE I TOUCH THE GODDAMN REAR PAD.

JoshHood

With how horrible Vita did for Sony in their results, even bundled with the PSP, they might as well revise the Vita and relaunch it with a lower price point... Preferably much lower
Well given the Vita was the one specific area they actually did well with, that seems kind of daft.

zulux21

the thing is I doubt they want to sell it for a loss... unless a revision would reduce the cost quite a bit it wouldn't make sense to make a new version and a year usually isn't enough time for a big decrease in cost to make, that usually takes 2-3 years.

I mean i suppose they could decrease the build quality in general, but making an inferior cheaper product might not help. It's likely better to continue the slow burn and really hope to just inject some life into it by lining up a price cut and some big titles.

also some good news and some bad news...

good news.. isaac seems to be coming along nicely.

bad news.. sony game profits were down and the slashed the forcast for vita/psp again from 10 mil down to 7 mil sold for the year ending march 31st.

SRTtoZ

Finally sold my black vita on craigslist. Sold it for $175 with a 4gb card and sony soft case. Someone got a hellava deal :}

Gonna use that cash to grab some new Vita games for my whitey now!

Tizoc

I need the Ys games to go on sale =/
Knowing how Sony does their blasted sales, they'll all be sold for $10 each, although I'd get all 3 for $20-25.

RpgN

Dokuro has been refunded to me and the demo deleted from my DL history, I bought the full game and this one seems to be legit. To anyone who had the same problem, check the store, yours might have been fixed too.

Number45

Anyone know what the changelog for the vita tweeter app is? Downloaded the app via psplus overnight :(
I don't think this was answered. You can highlight the bubble (hold it until the home page edit screen pops) and tap the ... to see update history (apparently).

Shoyz

Dokuro has been refunded to me and the demo deleted from my DL history, I bought the full game and this one seems to be legit. To anyone who had the same problem, check the store, yours might have been fixed too.

Oof, you had to wait this long for the refund and you still bought it? Benefits of importing aside, I would have done it out of spite at that point..English Asia copy's about $40 on eBay, or 'Approximately £22.35 + £3.83 shipping', not really sure how much extra it would cost. Maybe I'm the crazy minority that still loves physical games, though!

A bit unrelated: Anybody know why Asia releases come with stickers over the Age Rating info? For some reason most Vita releases seem to cover it with a barcode and an 'Official Playstation' sticker. Most are crooked, even..

Oof, you had to wait this long for the refund and you still bought it? Benefits of importing aside, I would have done it out of spite at that point..English Asia copy's about $40 on eBay, or 'Approximately £22.35 + £3.83 shipping', not really sure how much extra it would cost. Maybe I'm the crazy minority that still loves physical games, though!

A bit unrelated: Anybody know why Asia releases come with stickers over the Age Rating info? For some reason most Vita releases seem to cover it with a barcode and an 'Official Playstation' sticker. Most are crooked, even..

it's 15 euro on PSN

RpgN

Yup, the wait was one week plus an extra day. Frankly that's pretty messed up but I'm not bothered enough to spite them because the week went really quickly with other Vita software keeping me company and Dokuro has a good price on PSN (12 pounds). It felt like I was literally showered with gifts this week. As much as it sucks about Dokuro, it's awesome that Aqua Kittie was free (and it's a great game, possibly the best PSM game), Wake Up Club is very fun and cute for a free app, Ridge Racer Ultimate Edition has been worth it with the anniversary price that is 10 pounds, PSASBR had a great deal for 20 pounds both the PS3 and Vita versions. Then I haven't even gotten the time to start on A-men and Touch My Katamari, both which were also at a reduced price. Then there is RO demo released out of nowhere (haven't had the time to play it) and its awesome price of 24 pounds when it's going to be released within 2 weeks. As much as SCEE fucks things up, and it's really frustrating, it feels good to be treated well too.

Speaking of Dokuro, the first stage with ten short levels have been cleared. This game is oozing charm and personality. It's so good at what it does. Every Vita player who likes unique experiments with good puzzles is ought to get this game. It's one of those weird and special Japanese games done right. It has been worth the wait.

Fusebox

Banned
Where is this on the store? i can't find it.

$18?

that's 10.00 GBP = 15.6800 USD

Australian PSN store. Wish I had got the PS3 version with it.

And while I'm here I want to vent a bit about Uncharted.

Pros: Everything that isn't in cons.

Cons: Gimmicky touch bullshit.

I wouldn't mind the log-crossing balancing mini-game thing if I had to do it while I was actually walking across the log. Not this, walking across an easy log doody doo oh shit wow I just forgot how to walk wobble wobble. Very jarring.

I wouldn't mind wiping a bit of dirt off artefacts I find, not this massive cleanup job that leaves my screen smudgy as fuck because its summer here and I'm on the train and I'm supposed to be wiping some mining pick which is spinning all over the place and even when I try to orientate it with the back touch it just starts spinning again. Very jarring.

Card-game notifications. I'm not playing the card game, if I find treasure show me the treasure first, don't jam some stupid card for some other game in my face.

Other than these huge annoyances which slam the brakes on my enjoyment of this game I love it, problem is everytime I'm having a good play session and enjoying the shootouts and exploring the game just throws up one of these annoying features to bum me out.

RpgN

Looks to be a good week next week,

RO, rocketbirds, trials and no doubt some other little games too

RO comes out on the 20th, which should be a week after and not next week. I made the same mistake on one of my previous replies, it must be all the excitement :p

RpgN

http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/toukiden/

Official site for Toukiden is now open.
To me screenshots look good, what do you guys think?

It looks great if those screens are representative of the game but based on what has been mentioned from that famitsu link, the game seems a bit like a wasted potential. They're calling it a ''hunting action'' game with multiplayer which sounds like a fancy name for a MH clone, while I was hoping for a more traditional action game with a ninja theme like Onimusha and Genji. The character models look great too.

Then again, it's looking way too far ahead. It might still be a bit different from MH games or the game might be quality. I'll keep an open mind until they show enough of the gameplay to get an idea.

Dammit xD

Well t least that means RO and persona in the same week!

Yes! Though I'll skip on Persona 4 for while. I won't get that one until at least P3 is played and completed.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/toukiden/

Official site for Toukiden is now open.
To me screenshots look good, what do you guys think?

they look bullshots to me.

but monster designs are very cool.

Dammit xD

Well t least that means RO and persona in the same week!

Only Persona matter.

and European Vita owners better stay away from Garbagerok Odyssey

Yes! Though I'll skip on Persona 4 for while. I won't get that one until at least P3 is played and completed.

1- you don't need to play P3 before P4

2- P3P is a complete and total trash, it's really horrible port and not a real Persona experience, they cut too much from the original vision,seriously stay away from it.

wouwie

Anyone seen this Urban Trial gameplay video on Vita?

I love this type of games. One of the reasons why i regret not having an xbox is Trials. I do hope it's more skill based gameplay instead of stunt based. I assume this isn't cross-buy? Might get it on the ps3 in that case if it's good.

I love this type of games. One of the reasons why i regret not having an xbox is Trials. I do hope it's more skill based gameplay instead of stunt based. I assume this isn't cross-buy? Might get it on the ps3 in that case if it's good.

It's not cross buy :)

But they said its because they are different games, some differer levels, closer camera etc

SmokyDave

Ah man, that looks great. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

It does make me wish the Vita had analogue triggers or face buttons though :(

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Not really. You wouldn't expect bioshock vita to come with infinite when they are separate games.

Post above - yes on 19th, I'm personally waiting for reviews :)

imaginary Bioshock Vita is not/will not be Bioshock Infinite.

this game is the same game but with few different levels.

Anyone having impressions on Rocketbirds?

I've heard good things about the PC version...although Total Biscuit wasn't too big a fan, for what it's worth. I just need a nice, solid 2D shooty platformer. Looks like they've done some great work transferring it to the Vita, going by the video.

Top Bottom