• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
a few pages back someone said they were liking it. thought the length was good and were actually enjoying the minigames, which i believe had some challenge to them as well.

but thats all i can remember or atleast think i remember.

Which was me. But I havent tried PS3. I dont have any lag issues though.

Top of page so buy:

PS+ 1 Year subscription(If you buy a 1 year subscription you get 3 extra months)
Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation
Ninja Gaiden sigma plus(if you have PS+)
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
Go buy Rayman Origins.
if your in EU land then buy P4G in two weeks!
Get Persona 3 Portable if you liked P4G.
Ok, buy Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X for the PSP
(for Silver members) recommendation: go buy Motorstorm RC
Edit: Buy Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed and Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath.
Edit: Shooter fans buy Unit 13! Try the demo at least.
EDIT: Buy Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed.
vRboS4J.gif

No, you just want to buy the games for cheap. D3 Publisher (Not Sony) know exactly what they're doing, it's basic business 101. Why set the entry price low when you have people willing to pay more for your product? As the results show, people were willing to pay the $40 for EDF. Now they're free to either pick up more higher price latecomers, or lower the barrier of entry for people who weren't willing to jump in at $40. They've made more money this way than by having the game priced at $20 from the start.

If anything, Sony are one of the few publishers who do day one discounts for their digital versions of Vita games. But then again, they don't have to pay royalties for releasing a game on the system cause it's their own hardware.

Ehh I have a mixed feelings on this.

On on hand EDF doing good is great as it increases chances of other Namco titles being released on the other I don't like the vision of DD-only future at MSRP prices.

Massa

Anyone seen this Urban Trial gameplay video on Vita?

I love this type of games. One of the reasons why i regret not having an xbox is Trials. I do hope it's more skill based gameplay instead of stunt based. I assume this isn't cross-buy? Might get it on the ps3 in that case if it's good.

Oh my, that looks good.

You should consider posting a new thread, I believe that's the first real gameplay video of the game.

dan2026

If anything, Sony are one of the few publishers who do day one discounts for their digital versions of Vita games. But then again, they don't have to pay royalties for releasing a game on the system cause it's their own hardware.

If Sony know what they are doing, why are they charging almost full price for old-ass PSP games. There is no way that I am going to drop top dollar on an old game.

If Sony had any sense they would sell them all cheap, otherwise where is the incentive to buy?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Oh my, that looks good.

You should consider posting a new thread, I believe that's the first real gameplay video of the game.

Yes, someone should.

I'm pretty sure that Urban Trial Freestyle footage is a stolen vid from the PlayStation Access channel that was posted a couple weeks ago. I thought someone already posted a thread then.

Noi

Ehh I have a mixed feelings on this.

On on hand EDF doing good is great as it increases chances of other Namco titles being released on the other I don't like the vision of DD-only future at MSRP prices.

I'll take a full priced DD only English version over nothing, really.

If Sony know what they are doing, why are they charging almost full price for old-ass PSP games. There is no way that I am going to drop top dollar on an old game.

If Sony had any sense they would sell them all cheap, otherwise where is the incentive to buy?

Answered your own question. SCEA doesn't give a shit about PSP stuff anymore. The only ones that do are the ones that still make money from it (XSEED, Aksys, etc).

Surprisingly AWESOME purchase. I bought these little analog stick grips, and there's a set in there that look like the gamecube analog sticks. They just add a LITTLE bit of height, a little more grip, a little more surface area, and they don't FEEL like an add-on - they feel like built-in analog sticks. Just better. They're made of ABS plastic instead of silicone, which probably makes them feel less like an add-on.

They don't look quite as attractive but goodness, I just felt like buying these because i got my income tax and figured "why not?" but I was really surprised.

The package also comes with 360-style analog sticks, but I think they feel a little too high up.

I've been interested in something like this since getting "real triggers" for my PS3 controller... do you have an amazon link or something?

Bought Everybody's Golf last night.... And its so catchy! Damn that girl is so sexy, with his voice, like she's gonna... it's definetly not for kids.

Anyone still playing this?

akd2xSO.png

A few Monster Monpiece impressions, goods:
~Medium Import Friendly. There's a decent chunk of storyline here and there, and it's difficult to get a grasp on the advanced card mechanics, but it's very playable.
The transformations are very adult. However, the 'rubbing' mechanic seems entirely optional and the only difference it makes is that tapping fills the meter faster, rubbing gets more of a reaction out of the character (blushing/moaning). Each card has 3 or so spots on them you'll need to find each filling about a third of the meter (sometimes 2 for easier cards), you can choose to simply hyper-tap them instead to bypass most of it.

Gameplay consists of taking turns summoning a monster card. Each turn you gain 3 Mana, every monster has a Mana cost to summon. They come in 4 Jobs: Warriors, Archers (Can attack an extra block away), Clerics (Healing Spells), Dark Mages (Buff Spells). You seem to place Mages behind other units to buff them. After summoning you go into an attack phase where you either attack what's directly in front of you, or move forward and attack if then applicable. Summoned units stand still for their turn unless they have a movement skill (blue arrow icon, lets them move on summoned turn), and attack directly in front if applicable.
(Tip: This means you'll typically want to spawn your monster 2 units away from the enemy's, so that they'll move closer, and then you'll move in for the first strike. 1 unit away will get you hit first).
Should one of your monsters reach the end of their field, you'll hit their (life points?) directly for 1 damage. Fodder NPC have 1 life each so reaching it is a win, bosses tend to have more, bear in mind I'm not far in yet.
There are of course more advanced mechanics I haven't doven much into yet. All monsters have a 'type' (such as Dragon, Bird, Hybrid). You can summon a monster of the same type onto another to buff it in place of summoning it separately. There are also various skills they can have, and various buffs that can be applied when certain units are summoned in conjunction, but that's a bit of a language barrier atm.
You can't win by pushing one row, as they can endlessly clog it with summons. You need to pressure two at the same time for one hit to be unblockable.
For each battle won you earn money and 'P-Points'. Money can be spent on card packs of 1 or 3 cards, and P-Points (among items) are spent evolving the cards.

Bads:
Card packs have very repetitive draws, although there is a large variety.
(Potential bad) Evolving cards (strengthening) them strips them of clothing, whether this is a good or bad feature is up to you. The evolution is something you wouldn't want to be caught doing!
No Screenshots.
Seemingly no way to view the card artworks in full-size outside of transformations. Could be I just haven't found it, but if there isn't, ouch!
There's DLC for in-game boosts (free cards, evolutions, etc).

To summarize I'm having a lot of fun with it at the moment (despite the difficulty curve), although I'm not sure I'd recommend it. It takes some effort to play past the language barrier, nevermind the partial-nudity. But it's definitely worth a try for anybody who's willing to put the effort and likes CCGs with fanservice. And of course, the chance of hell freezing over that this will ever get localized.
I want to bump this up because these are awesome impressions.

The relatively high price of many PSP games is what's keeping me from dropping hundreds of dollars on PSN.

JoshHood

Picked up Virtua Tennis 4 finally - had my eye on it for a while, but Game UK had it mispriced at £5.99 in-store so finally gave in. What an awesome game: really nice gameplay and presentation, I see why people were praising the graphics too - the bright colours really show off the screen (native res helps too)!

Now, Sega, lets use that engine and do a new Sega Superstars Tennis on Vita :D

kiyomi

Bought Everybody's Golf last night.... And its so catchy! Damn that girl is so sexy, with his voice, like she's gonna... it's definetly not for kids.

Anyone still playing this?

There have been some good GAF games with it, but they're not that regular. But there are plenty of people who own the game, it's just that most of us have other stuff to play! First world problems D:

Which girl are you talking about? Please don't say you mean Martha. Just thinking about her makes me rage.

VanWinkle

I've been interested in something like this since getting "real triggers" for my PS3 controller... do you have an amazon link or something?

I'm just going to quote myself so I don't have to find the link again, lol.

Right here. From the reviews, it must have gone through some different revisions, some silicone, some where all the analog designs were different, but the current one seems to be great from my use today.

Most the expensive psp games are the publishers fault not Sonys...

This is true, but Sony also has some dumb prices on their own games. (SCEA, to be clear.)

Are there still lots of people playing EDF multiplayer? Is it kinda like monster hunter?

Also, I should probably just read the OT, but i'd rather hear it from Vita Bros

There have been some good GAF games with it, but they're not that regular. But there are plenty of people who own the game, it's just that most of us have other stuff to play! First world problems D:

Which girl are you talking about? Please don't say you mean Martha. Just thinking about her makes me rage.

lol why :D?

I don't know her name, but i think its Martha, first girl. The one who says when take a shot: "Oh oh ohhhhhh aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh"

That's just sick. In a good way :D

I want to unlock a readhead with stocking... Damn...

I haven't tried the online yet but no, it's a shooter, nothing like monster hunter

Oh kool, will have to check it out. Would be nice to have a non fighting game/non monster hunter freedom unite multiplayer game on here. Not into call of duty or military stuff.

Somehow I got sucked into playing Grandia on Vita. Never played this game before but 15 hours in I can't stop...the story just moves so fast. Also helps that it has a compass that points you to the next story point and plenty of save spots.

Story and characters are entertaining too. I hope its not too long of a game though.

Anyone seen this Urban Trial gameplay video on Vita?

I love this type of games. One of the reasons why i regret not having an xbox is Trials. I do hope it's more skill based gameplay instead of stunt based. I assume this isn't cross-buy? Might get it on the ps3 in that case if it's good.

Looks really ace.

I'll definitely be adding Urban Trial and Hardboiled Chicken to Vita next week...assuming I have enough space left on my 16 GB (though I could use Content Manager and remove RE Degeneration freeing up over a gig)....

...whuch brings me to my ?: If you buy/bought and want to reventually delete a TV episode or Film purchased from PSN on Vita (w/out backing up), can you redownload it free later?

I know games can be redownloaded after you've bought and delete them - but I'm not sure about other PSN media...

hurzelein

A few minutes ago I saw this "Infamous 2 on Via via Remote-Play with Custom-Firmware" for the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=L_tVl86B3Go

Seems that this is possible with every Ps3 Game with CW. Some with better delay (Infamous) and some with a huge delay (Killzone 3).

Always thought the game must be prepared for this (Shadow/Ico got a patch just for this).
Why theheck doesnt Sony make this feature available for every game when its so easy possible via firmware?

Even with the delay (and I bet Sony could make this even better via an official firmware update) there would be many games (Rpgs, slower games...) that would be enjoyable on vita in my bed.

Toma

A few minutes ago I saw this "Infamous 2 on Via via Remote-Play with Custom-Firmware" for the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=L_tVl86B3Go

Seems that this is possible with every Ps3 Game with CW. Some with better delay (Infamous) and some with a huge delay (Killzone 3).

Always thought the game must be prepared for this (Shadow/Ico got a patch just for this).
Why theheck doesnt Sony make this feature available for every game when its so easy possible via firmware?

Even with the delay (and I bet Sony could make this even better via an official firmware update) there would be many games (Rpgs, slower games...) that would be enjoyable on vita in my bed.

Sony:
8P3kG.png

Rayman Legends is coming to PS360 as well as Wii U now. I would be interested in a Vita port...

Considering it sold pretty well on Vita, I'd say Ubi wont outrule the possibility.

Jamix012

Which was me. But I havent tried PS3. I dont have any lag issues though.

Top of page so buy:

PS+ 1 Year subscription(If you buy a 1 year subscription you get 3 extra months)
Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation
Ninja Gaiden sigma plus(if you have PS+)
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
Go buy Rayman Origins.
if your in EU land then buy P4G in two weeks!
Get Persona 3 Portable if you liked P4G.
Ok, buy Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X for the PSP
(for Silver members) recommendation: go buy Motorstorm RC
Edit: Buy Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed and Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath.
Edit: Shooter fans buy Unit 13! Try the demo at least.
EDIT: Buy Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed.
vRboS4J.gif
Good recommendation list. I'll grab Oddworld when it's on sale/they release bigger memory cards. Also excited for a potential Vita Rayman Legends.

My ideal Rayman Legends scenario would be a crossbuy Vita/PS3 Rayman Legends and the Vita can be used for off screen play similar to the WiiU. Glorious. The crossbuy thing probably won't happen though.

kiyomi

.. and hopefully the Vita can be used with the PS4 to effectively emulate what the entire concept of the Wii U version was doing. Best of both worlds.

Oh, I got beaten to the punch.

Are there still lots of people playing EDF multiplayer? Is it kinda like monster hunter?

Also, I should probably just read the OT, but i'd rather hear it from Vita Bros

Nah its nothing like monster hunter

60 missions
each missions is 10-20 mins long (sometimes longer)
fight LOTS of enemies
Tons of loot
cheesy as your like and craptastic in the best way possible
Basically B-Movie the game
Fight giant ants, spiders, robots, etc etc
about 9 hours to complete on normal. total of 5 difficulties i think.
After completing once you unlock a new character who has a jet pack and energy weapons which changes gameplay in a rather large way.

There really is a lot of content here if you like the game.

Its just chaos. And really fun

There are online games but oddly I havn't ever seen it be to busy. 4-6 games on the go at once. Shame because its really fun.

Mr E.

.. and hopefully the Vita can be used with the PS4 to effectively emulate what the entire concept of the Wii U version was doing. Best of both worlds.

Oh, I got beaten to the punch.
Not sure if UBI would want to do that. Effectively they would be limiting the game to Vita/PS3 owners. I would expect a Xbox port tbh. I may be wrong.

Loved the original on PS3. Vita version was great but lacked the multiplayer.

Toma

Good recommendation list.

Because our little community here is pretty awesome. I just copy pasted ~10 random top of the page comments from the last 100 pages ;)

Because our little community here is pretty awesome. I just copy pasted random top of the page comments from the last 100 pages ;)

And you didn't copy my recommendation that I TWICE made for Hot Shots Golf.

Where's the love, Toma?

By the way, I've still got referral space left for the Vita free PSN monies. Here's the link:

psvita.amplifinity.com/offer
refer code 14228940

I'm just going to quote myself so I don't have to find the link again, lol.

This is true, but Sony also has some dumb prices on their own games. (SCEA, to be clear.)

Thanks. For under $7? I'll give 'em a shot.
And I can't imagine why Namco would bundle and lower the price on Soul Calibur PSP and Tekken 6 and yet they're still $20 on sale in the US.

Where's the love, Toma?

By the way, I've still got referral space left for the Vita free PSN monies. Here's the link:

refer code 14228940

Has anyone got their $20 psn credit yet? Mine still says Success - Pending.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Hope we get a Toukiden gameplay video soon. Didn't even know it had already been announced, and suddenly it skyrocketed up my most-wanted list. Due to the miniskirt perhaps? Nah... I think it's the overall samurai aesthetic. I'd have trouble stomaching God Eater's schoolchildren with massive hammers (and Soul Sacrifice's overall puss look is a bit of a barrier too, but I'm still buying).

Where's the love, Toma?

refer code 14228940

Tried, but it's telling me that my SN is invalid. Oh well.

Top Bottom