• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

zulux21

well since there is no Shitlistic anymore, MW4 Vita might be done by poor Raven or any of Acti devs,so it (well if acti announce it for Vita) might be decent and full port,they got a good track record with the Wii.

Even if the vita version of COD was by far the best version of COD ever released I wouldn't get it. I tried COD 4 and MW3 and couldn't stand either of them. Dreadfully boring games for me. I would much rather have something like timesplitters lol.

Even if I did like the series though I wouldn't get it on the vita. I don't go out to often, and when i do I tend to bring stuff like my psp or ds instead of my vita or 3ds as if my psp or ds break it's not that expensive to replace them (or if someone stole them) thus portability for a game like COD isn't a big deal for me, I would rather just play it on a console on a bigger screen if I was going to play it.

As for disney... well if I played it it would be co op with my wife... co op on a single vita system doesn't work so well :p

edit: top of the page recommendation
sign up to pick up a physical copy of class of heroes 2.. only a few more days until the chance is gone and if the goal isn't met no one will get them. While it is a psp game and the vita doesn't support umds it's an odd choice, but given it will come with a digital code, and vic has said that vita compatibility is a must for him even if you pick up a physical copy you will be able to play it on your vita. Plus given the low print run of they physical copy, it will likely hold it's value well and be cheaper to buy a physical copy for $35 and sell it after you take the code then buy the digital copy for $25 :p

ZeroAKA

Yeah there's literally no option to log into an existing account. Not like I give a shit about origin but still :/ I was pretty mad.
My Vita's Wifi isn't working at the moment for some reason, but I'll double check on that sometime later. I know for sure that my Speed Points were synced onto the PS3 version though.

Edit: Just checked... There's an Account Management option in the Settings (Start button -> Settings -> Account Management -> Account Management). The email address for my Origin account is showing up there. Did you try that?

Seriously??

I'd pay full original psx retail price for those!

I asked him a few weeks ago, and he said he was working on it. When I followed that up with a question about which game he implied that he was trying to get the deal done for both so he wouldn't have to go through it a second time.

zulux21

Add Sly Cooper to the list of criminally large digital games:

-Escape Plan
-Golden Abyss
-NGS+
-MGS Collection

hehe you call those criminally large, and I am sitting around wishing they would move the game limit to 8gb or so :p
a memory card size increase of course would need to happen as well

Gxgear

hehe you call those criminally large, and I am sitting around wishing they would move the game limit to 8gb or so :p
a memory card size increase of course would need to happen as well

Developers are just as likely to fill that extra space with uncompressed video than to make games better/more complex.

zulux21

Developers are just as likely to fill that extra space with uncompressed video than to make games better/more complex.

oh actually the uncompressed video is exactly what I would hope for with the extra space... less compressions would typically mean less load times as a good amount of the load times are decompressing compressed data.

For games like mlb the show it would mean they could add in the presentation stuff which takes up like 5gb of room.

Gxgear

oh actually the uncompressed video is exactly what I would hope for with the extra space... less compressions would typically mean less load times as a good amount of the load times are decompressing compressed data.

For games like mlb the show it would mean they could add in the presentation stuff which takes up like 5gb of room.

But at what cost? 1/4 of the largest proprietary storage available? On a cartridge it would be okay, but then you'd have a disparity in quality between digital and retail versions.

Redhood

I for one think a lot can be achieved in 3-4 gb of game if the game is being made specifically for the vita. Only ports would require more space. Lets look at native vita games only.

LBP:1.5 GB
GR: 1.1 GB
UC: 3.5 GB
ACL: 2.5 GB
WO: 1.6 GB

Ports:
MK 3gb+
BB 3gb+
MGS 3gb+

Even then Its upto the developers how they handle the space. For eg AC3L still had plenty of space but the developers completely ruined the soundtrack of the game with atrocious sound compression.

zulux21

But at what cost? 1/4 of the largest proprietary storage available? On a cartridge it would be okay, but then you'd have a disparity in quality between digital and retail versions.

as i said they would obviously need to release a bigger card, though in general it's not like you can't redownload stuff, you could also make a requirement that any game over 3gb has to have a retail release as well in order to leave a way to avoid using a large chunk of their memory card.

Personally I don't buy many games digitally on consoles, and while it would suck for people going digital only at this time, it wouldn't be the end of the world if the game sizes were bigger (4 games would still fit on a 32gb card at 8gb per game). We have already had a number of reports about the game sizes being an issue, and it will likely only get worse.

I for one think a lot can be achieved in 3-4 gb of game if the game is being made specifically for the vita. Only ports would require more space. Lets look at native vita games only.

LBP:1.5 GB
GR: 1.1 GB
UC: 3.5 GB
ACL: 2.5 GB
WO: 1.6 GB

Ports:
MK 3gb+
BB 3gb+
MGS 3gb+

Even then Its upto the developers how they handle the space. For eg AC3L still had plenty of space but the developers completely ruined the soundtrack of the game with atrocious sound compression.

you also can't forget even if the limit was moved to 8gb that doesn't mean the companies would all move to that. Sony makes the current game cards to fit the current limit and have said bigger cards would cost more... thus the bigger cards would likely only be used for the bigger AAA titles and ports and companies would likely still aim for the current size to save money when publishing the game.

Redhood

you also can't forget even if the limit was moved to 8gb that doesn't mean the companies would all move to that. Sony makes the current game cards to fit the current limit and have said bigger cards would cost more... thus the bigger cards would likely only be used for the bigger AAA titles and ports and companies would likely still aim for the current size to save money when publishing the game.

Yes i forgot about that point :p
Also more higher capacity cards mean higher amount of assets, higher amount of assets meaning higher budget, Higher budget meaning lesser returns; vita being a handheld.

I think 3gb+ cards are perfect and if any developer cannot fit an original game on it needs to seriously set the priorities straight.

Noi

If UMvC3 can look the way it does on Vita, there's no reason why Blazblue should take up more than twice the room.

UMvC3 doesn't have an hours-long story mode with TONS of audio, so I see a perfectly valid reason. It's like 1/8th the content.

Pimpbaa

I think 3gb+ cards are perfect and if any developer cannot fit an original game on it needs to seriously set the priorities straight.

3GB is not enough for a system more powerful than last gen and almost as good a this gen. Texture resolution could improve tremendously on bigger carts and eliminate poor quality sound (like in assassins creed).

Redhood

3GB is not enough for a system more powerful than last gen and almost as good a this gen. Texture resolution could improve tremendously on bigger carts and eliminate poor quality sound (like in assassins creed).

I have already pointed out that the digital version of AC3 is about 2.5 gb. Ubi had about 1 more gb to use. But they didn't and completely fucked up the sound track!

So I got $20 Amazon credit, burning a hole

Guess I'll throw it at Rayman Origins. Maybe I'll actually play it this time. Couldn't bring myself to on PS3

Cha

-MGS Collection

But that's 2 games, so I think it's validated :)

Just completed MGS2. It was awesome! I'm just a bit bummed about certain things that happened toward the end :'(
I think Bluepoint and Armature did a great job of porting the HD collection to the Vita (so far - still have MGS3 to go).

Redhood

Are you NateDrake?
Nope. Is he a former member?
But that's 2 games, so I think it's validated :)

Just completed MGS2. It was awesome! I'm just a bit bummed about certain things that happened toward the end :'(
I think Bluepoint and Armature did a great job of porting the HD collection to the Vita (so far - still have MGS3 to go).

Yup Kudos to them. They compressed two full ps2 games onto vita without any texture compromise[ss] and sound compromise [ac3l]

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

love seeing all those gaffers up on the scoreboard for surge....doesnt seem much to it though, nice little time waster... - not sure why it got SO much hype when it first came out... siiigh gaf hype.

62ANt.jpg

No fucking waaaay. If more people would listen to you, the vast majority of people would have missed out on Surge, which they actually liked! Because the game actually has a lot of depth once you try to break some highscores. You wont actually see that if you just play it for 30 minutes though since it wont give you any incentive to actually play the game how its meant to be played. Trying to figure out the most optimal way to clear a level can be VERY tricky and to decide the best course of action for maximizing the point count has a lot of depth, especially if you need to consider the different blocks the game throws at you.

But as I said, this is not evident if you just consider it a 2 minute time waster since you just dabble along without putting any thought into what makes this game actually fun and deep.

But I agree that the pacing is a bit weird, that you can play it for 30 minutes without breaking a sweat and that it can result in a VERY long game run. They really need to focus and compress the game experience so some users dont need to dabble around for so long and show off the depth earlier. More game modes would also do wonders.

Takao

Banned
Really?

Assuming Ubisoft makes 60% from each copy sold, that's ~$15m in revenue. Let's assume the game's budget was half of AC3's, and shave off some extra from Sony's shouldering the marketing burden.

That's about $8m profit - 2% (being generous) of AC3's profit - and not a patch on even the much more modestly-budgeted PSP entry.

Liberation's budget was likely closer to Bloodlines (PSP) than ACIII's. You seem to have forgotten where Liberation was made. Not Ubisoft Montreal, not even in North America but Ubisoft Sofia in Bulgaria. The game was built on the pre-existing Anvil Engine, and reused assets (animations, etc.) from the previous games. Conversely, Bloodlines was made in North America, having to be built from the ground up for PSP because that platform was too weak for downports, and too strong for DS up ports. AC III commanded hundreds (maybe even over a thousand IIRC) on staff, and likely had an enormous budget. I doubt Liberation's was half of that.

Redhood

Friendly Rivalry Trophy Unit 13: I clearly have more score than my friends on level 2. But still the trophy didn't pop. I played that level offline if its any help. Is there any fix?

8457389725_488b343e21_c.jpg

yurinka

Really?

Assuming Ubisoft makes 60% from each copy sold, that's ~$15m in revenue. Let's assume the game's budget was half of AC3's, and shave off some extra from Sony's shouldering the marketing burden.

That's about $8m profit - 2% (being generous) of AC3's profit - and not a patch on even the much more modestly-budgeted PSP entry.
Consider that in addition to pay the marketing Sony should have moneyhatted them to make this game, as happened with CoD.
In addition to this, I don't consider fair to compare the profit of a title exclusive for a handheld to a big multiplaform AAA game for consoles.

For Swedes looking for a Vita. Groupon.se is having a good deal:

Playstation Vita 3G, 8 gb Memory card, Wipeout 2048 and 2 weeks free 3G for 1549 sek (£150).

Här är en länk jag tjänar på: http://www.groupon.se/deals/hela-sverige/comviq/17133974/.Eii0Ws?RAF=RFO_CPY_USRCLK

Om ni inte vill klicka på den så ta den här: http://www.groupon.se/deals/hela-sverige/Comviq/17133974
Holy balls that's a good deal. Hopefully plenty of Swedes get their hands on Vitas now. ;)

Also, MW4 on Vita, eh, we'll see. Activision used to release DS COD games and they couldn't have made much money, right? I guess I could see them just downporting MW4 to Vita.

Shoyz

If they did release full-fledged versions of COD games on Vita, would they still be the regular pricepoint of $40? I've never really been able to justify plunking down $60 on the series.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Disney Infinity's producer said "No comment" when asked about a Vita version. At least he didn't pull a Capcom/Konami and bullshit about resolutions/3D lol

time for Sony to pay for ports

they already missed Angry Birds bus and Borderland 2,Vita need to have some multiplatform titles.

finished Gravity Daze. 8/10

Gravity_rush_US_cover.png

amazing game which probably could live on a console - I hope the sequel gets made and be on a console with a vita version becuase that way, more people have access to this great great game. Beautiful world/art. Gameplay with decent with combat that was a tad to easy but its all so well done -the world traversal is just.. godly. Love my time with GD.

finished Gravity Daze. 8/10

Gravity_rush_US_cover.png

amazing game which probably could live on a console - I hope the sequel gets made and be on a console with a vita version becuase that way, more people have access to this great great game. Beautiful world/art. Gameplay with decent with combat that was a tad to easy but its all so well done -the world traversal is just.. godly. Love my time with GD.

I love everything about this game except actually playing it.

Shoyz

Any specific gameplay complaints? The only real issue I've ever had with it (beyond combat balance, gravity kick beats using anything else..) is that her slide doesn't have much fine control (only takes very slow deliberate turns) and that gravity kick is really finicky about locking-on sometimes. It's also sometimes hard to tell if she's still flying (particularly when fighting the secret lava boss where my inability to get her to stop kills me on the roof)

The only two glaring flaws I've had is repetition (very akin to Asura's Wrath where you're randomly forced to kill a bunch of generic enemies, multiple times in a row for no given reason other than to pad the game) and, most of all, the lack of quick retry on challenges where you can fail them with a single mistake right off the bat. The story is also very predictable at certain points (being forced to play into an obvious trap being very annoying), but what can you do..

I'd hate to stay this, but I agree. Kat is quite charming, as are the characters, story and setting around her - but the gameplay is unrefined, clunky and tiring.

Can anyone answer:

If I have a Resident Evil (Degeneration) film purchased on my Vita, from the PSN store and I delete it to save Memory space - am I shit out of luck, to redownload it again later? Do non game media things on PSN allow future redownload, like games? Or are they one time purchases, in the sense of delete at your own risk, you'll have to rebuy it?

I'd like to know (before I delete it), that way I can prepare for the timesink of content manager if I'll have to rebuy it

:0)

It is frustrating hearing others have such a difficult time with Gravity Rush and/or find the controls frustrating. It is one of the few games that really clicked with me, and I adored the combat. So much that I fear they will change it too much in the sequel. Though I am willing to compromise of course.

Did you guys use all of the special abilities Kat gains? I ask because I wonder if some people are just trying to Gravity Kick there way through the game. While that would work, it would also be extremely frustrating.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I guess LittleBigPlanet doesn't cloud save automatically because the save is 64mb? Dog ate my 32gb memory stick, got a new one and restored, everything was fine except the LBP save was 3 month old (from back when I did it manually) :(

Shoyz

It is frustrating hearing others have such a difficult time with Gravity Rush and/or find the controls frustrating. It is one of the few games that really clicked with me, and I adored the combat. So much that I fear they will change it too much in the sequel. Though I am willing to compromise of course.

Did you guys use all of the special abilities Kat gains? I ask because I wonder if some people are just trying to Gravity Kick there way through the game. While that would work, it would also be extremely frustrating.

I half feel the same way as you that perhaps they're simply playing wrong or badly because it feels great to me, but half not because I've used nothing but gravity kick through the game :( apart from the triangle special. One-shots everything.

gkryhewy

I am currently gravity kicking my way through the game. What would you suggest?

I never used the gravity slide + slide kick and I didn't get how you'd use the 3rd power - stopped using it after a few times. (use the super power zoom attack and the distance launcher attacK the most)

I sent most of the game gravity kicking :)

thought you were paraphrasing my post a bit but I'm guessing you're not?

GD is unlike just about 100% of games out there and deserves credit for what it does. And it does it well too.

I'm just working my way through the Gravity Rush DLC finally, because I wanted more. This game is really something special.

Not counting story missions and challenges, are there any other "secrets" apart from the three rift plane hidden bosses and the travellers?

If I have a Resident Evil (Degeneration) film purchased on my Vita, from the PSN store and I delete it to save Memory space - am I shit out of luck, to redownload it again later? Do non game media things on PSN allow future redownload, like games? Or are they one time purchases, in the sense of delete at your own risk, you'll have to rebuy it?

I'd like to know (before I delete it), that way I can prepare for the timesink of content manager if I'll have to rebuy it

AFAIK if it's buy to own, there's a separate download list for videos, so you should be able to re-download as normal. If it's a rental, then it'll probably disappear on deletion (then again, it's going to disappear in a week anyway).

The Bluecell analog grips are godly - just received them this morning. Thanks Vita-GAF for the recommendation.

Only flaw is that they raise the analog sticks and widen its diameter just enough to make it encroach on the D-Pad and buttons more than I'd like.

A definite buy for those who want more grippy analog sticks. And since I'm just sinking my teeth into Unit 13 now, lovely timing.

grin.gif

Top Bottom