• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Reposting my Escape Vektor impressions because some were interested in them:
E85QxDZ.jpg
Its a pretty fun game overall. I am a bit surprised to see that my initial impressions werent all that wrong. It feels like a spacey and more complex Pacman-style game to me. You run on lines to improve your score, all the while eating, err... I mean bombing enemies if they cant be avoided. The overall style of the game actually looks pretty decent and fits the tone of the game well. If I am honest here, I didnt like the style too much based on the videos I've seen before, but it grew pretty fast on me. I was also surprised to see that there is actually a story that ties together the levels, meaning the levels dont feel like they are only being strung together for the hell of it, although the story definitely is not one of the games selling points as it is rather generic so far. Considering the tone of the story, graphical style and decent music, I am getting a bit of a tron vibe here, which is rather neat (although I wish it had more different tracks).

Some minor things the game does very right:
- Live Area (that screen you see between clicking on a bubble and starting up a game) integration is one of the best on the system so far. It shows your current progress, ingame trophy status and the last lines of story dialog. More developers should make me WANT to look at this screen and make it a dynamic representation of your progress. A+ for the dev in that regard.
- UI and style fits really well for the game. The simplicity bothered me a bit at first, but it actually suits the game really well.
- Progression is measure in the upgrade level of the main character of the story (Vektor, ver 3.14), which is admittedly just a small touch, but pretty neat.
- Overworld, which basically serves as a level hub, actually makes this game more enjoyable for me. You can finish additional challenges in a level to unlock additional secret levels. Finishing those might net you access to additional secret areas or Mario style short cuts to other worlds. Pretty nifty and actually makes you interested in stepping through a warp gate to see where it leads.
- Technical obstacles, like switches that may deactive barriers or activate enemy spawns. This is a pretty interesting addition since it makes you feel like you are controlling the level a bit, instead of only reacting to what happens. Also fits really well with the theme of the game.
- Lots of space to improve once you finish a level. If you end up liking this game, you'll be busy for ages platinuming (Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum) every single level. Most of those will ask you to prepare your way through the level very carefully, making it a reflex AND intelligence based puzzle game.

Some minor (?) things the game does very wrong:
- Loading times, although I might seem a bit too harsh on the game for that, starting or restarting a level takes about 7 seconds, which is just a tiny bit too long for a game with such a high focus on highscore gaming.
- Honest question for others playing it: Wtf is the point of Wild Cards? Its basically a score double card that you get for beating an earlier score of yours. Once used it doubles your score and the card disappears. However, those cards are imperative to reach Platinum scores, which means you need them in EVERY level for highscore play later. If you already created WC scores on all levels and then run out of these WC, you are basically shit out of luck and cant improve any of your scores. Wtf were they thinking?
- Replaying earlier levels is a bit annoying due to the overworld hub, which means you need to travel along the whole path, to arrive at an earlier level. This is a bit remedied by the fact that you can just tap on a level you want to access, but unfortunately, there is no zoom out button in the overworld screen, which means it still takes a while to get back from the first to the last world. Not sure why you cant just switch to the world before by pressing L or something.
- While talking about zoom, you can actually zoom out within a level to allow for proper judgement of the level situation (especially with enemies that have random movement). Unfortunately, you need to hold down R for that, which basically means you sometimes hold R down for 3 minutes instead of just having R trigger the zoomed out state. That button input seems a bit pointless to me. I'll play it zoomed out most of the time.
- It doesnt explain some things very well (if at all). What are the stars on the levels for? Some level I got Bronze trophies in have a star, others dont. Whats the deal?

Overall its a rather good game that does some things really well, and fails monumentally on others. If there is no endgame way to get an infinite amount of wild cards, this actually completely breaks the highscore nature of the game for those planning of squeezing every inch out of their scores. That is a huge, huge, huge minus. Someone who finished it please verify or correct this statement for me. If it wasnt for that, or if you dont care about optimising a level to perfection, this game definitely could be rated as 7 or even 8. Even with that caveat in mind however, even finishing all the normal and secret levels will probably take you a while since the difficulty ramps up quite a bit. The overworld hub with secret areas, additional tools and traps in levels, bombs and speed up mechanics making this game feel surprisingly deep and therefore gets a thumbs up from me (with the aforementioned caveat). Unfortunately, that caveat is also keeping me from giving it a universal Vita game recommendation so far, as I really fear it might break the highscoring aspect.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
So Destination Playstation....is there a livestream for any of it or when can we expect details to come out from it? Starts tomorrow.

Don't know,but you guys should keep your expectations low and just kill your faith in SCE/Yoshida.

SCE will most likely just talk about PS4 again and let journalists play Uncharted:Walking Dead,Kratos Begins:Again, Juno:the sci-fi interactive movie..and if we are lucky they might show LBP3(rumors says Sumo is working on it..so maybe it will be good this time) I just don't think there will be anything Vita related.

Reposting my Escape Vektor impressions because some were interested in them:

Its a pretty fun game overall. I am a bit surprised to see that my initial impressions werent all that wrong. It feels like a spacey and more complex Pacman-style game to me. You run on lines to improve your score, all the while eating, err... I mean bombing enemies if they cant be avoided. The overall style of the game actually looks pretty decent and fits the tone of the game well. If I am honest here, I didnt like the style too much based on the videos I've seen before, but it grew pretty fast on me. I was also surprised to see that there is actually a story that ties together the levels, meaning the levels dont feel like they are only being strung together for the hell of it, although the story definitely is not one of the games selling points as it is rather generic so far. Considering the tone of the story, graphical style and decent music, I am getting a bit of a tron vibe here, which is rather neat (although I wish it had more different tracks).

Some minor things the game does very right:
- Live Area (that screen you see between clicking on a bubble and starting up a game) integration is one of the best on the system so far. It shows your current progress, ingame trophy status and the last lines of story dialog. More developers should make me WANT to look at this screen and make it a dynamic representation of your progress. A+ for the dev in that regard.
- UI and style fits really well for the game. The simplicity bothered me a bit at first, but it actually suits the game really well.
- Progression is measure in the upgrade level of the main character of the story (Vektor, ver 3.14), which is admittedly just a small touch, but pretty neat.
- Overworld, which basically serves as a level hub, actually makes this game more enjoyable for me. You can finish additional challenges in a level to unlock additional secret levels. Finishing those might net you access to additional secret areas or Mario style short cuts to other worlds. Pretty nifty and actually makes you interested in stepping through a warp gate to see where it leads.
- Technical obstacles, like switches that may deactive barriers or activate enemy spawns. This is a pretty interesting addition since it makes you feel like you are controlling the level a bit, instead of only reacting to what happens. Also fits really well with the theme of the game.
- Lots of space to improve once you finish a level. If you end up liking this game, you'll be busy for ages platinuming (Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum) every single level. Most of those will ask you to prepare your way through the level very carefully, making it a reflex AND intelligence based puzzle game.

Some minor (?) things the game does very wrong:
- Loading times, although I might seem a bit too harsh on the game for that, starting or restarting a level takes about 7 seconds, which is just a tiny bit too long for a game with such a high focus on highscore gaming.
- Honest question for others playing it: Wtf is the point of Wild Cards? Its basically a score double card that you get for beating an earlier score of yours. Once used it doubles your score and the card disappears. However, those cards are imperative to reach Platinum scores, which means you need them in EVERY level for highscore play later. If you already created WC scores on all levels and then run out of these WC, you are basically shit out of luck and cant improve any of your scores. Wtf were they thinking?
- Replaying earlier levels is a bit annoying due to the overworld hub, which means you need to travel along the whole path, to arrive at an earlier level. This is a bit remedied by the fact that you can just tap on a level you want to access, but unfortunately, there is no zoom out button in the overworld screen, which means it still takes a while to get back from the first to the last world. Not sure why you cant just switch to the world before by pressing L or something.
- While talking about zoom, you can actually zoom out within a level to allow for proper judgement of the level situation (especially with enemies that have random movement). Unfortunately, you need to hold down R for that, which basically means you sometimes hold R down for 3 minutes instead of just having R trigger the zoomed out state. That button input seems a bit pointless to me. I'll play it zoomed out most of the time.
- It doesnt explain some things very well (if at all). What are the stars on the levels for? Some level I got Bronze trophies in have a star, others dont. Whats the deal?

Overall its a rather good game that does some things really well, and fails monumentally on others. If there is no endgame way to get an infinite amount of wild cards, this actually completely breaks the highscore nature of the game for those planning of squeezing every inch out of their scores. That is a huge, huge, huge minus. Someone who finished it please verify or correct this statement for me. If it wasnt for that, or if you dont care about optimising a level to perfection, this game definitely could be rated as 7 or even 8. Even with that caveat in mind however, even finishing all the normal and secret levels will probably take you a while since the difficulty ramps up quite a bit. The overworld hub with secret areas, additional tools and traps in levels, bombs and speed up mechanics making this game feel surprisingly deep and therefore gets a thumbs up from me (with the aforementioned caveat). Unfortunately, that caveat is also keeping me from giving it a universal Vita game recommendation so far, as I really fear it might break the highscoring aspect.

Thanks for the comprehensive review. I agree with most of your points especially about having to hold down R to zoom out.

About wild cards, you do get a couple of wild cards every day. Sometimes after not playing for a few days the comp will throw me around 10 freebies.

How are we doing OT-wise for March? Is Noi doing it again? We really don't want the mods to come visit again...

If I may suggest something for the title, I'd go with something based on Shuhei Yoshida's comments about the Vita beating the PS3 in terms of digital sales. "Top PlayStation console for digital sales" etc.

Sol1dus

can't help thinking this is their last chance to moneygrab some purchase out of ps1 version before they release eternal punishment psp, making people to double dip on both version.

didn't something similar happens with castlevania symphony of the night back then, release ps1 version on psn before they release castlevania chronicles which has symphony of the night in it. also ff tactic ps1 came out before ff tactic remake too.

It's usually to build up excitement. Maybe you bought the game, liked it and enjoyed it enough to get the new one.

March 2013|Sacrifice Your Souls

crinale

So here goes more Senran Kagura talk! I'm lurking the Senran International Academy forums where there's a thread that tracks pre-order charts, and Senran Kagura seems to be holding its own and is doing better than the previous games in the series.

It's already nearly impossible to pre-order in Japan :(

Oh man, just bought P4G.
You can tell instantly that the game is really fleshed out though I have a feeling I missed a lot of things in the intro...

Enjoy the ride! A tip for the beginning: you'll be strapped for SP, so be sure to buy TaP Sodas from the vending machine in front of Shiroku Store. You can only buy 5 a week, as the vending machine gets refilled periodically.

It's already nearly impossible to pre-order in Japan :(
You think it's going to do well? Plus the frown makes me think you wanted to pre-order but didn't. ;_;

Hopefully I get the pre-order bonus(es). Not sure if the visual book and drama CDs come with the regular edition or just NyuNyu.

Is it going to be a good game aside from all it's sexiness? I've never played any of the previous entries, is it a fun fighting engine?
It looks fun. The engine and mechanics are different from the 3DS entries and this is more 3D action/Musou(Warriors)-like. So if you like Warriors Orochi, Dynasty Warriors, and the like, you'll probably like this. There seems to be a whole lot to unlock, too, which helps it in my eyes.

OmegaZero

It looks fun. The engine and mechanics are different from the 3DS entries and this is more 3D action/Musou(Warriors)-like. So if you like Warriors Orochi, Dynasty Warriors, and the like, you'll probably like this. There seems to be a whole lot to unlock, too, which helps it in my eyes.

OMG where did you get your avatar from

OmegaZero

I knew you would like it. :p

Toppot made it for me, but I got it from here. Cards from Senran Kagura New Wave, I believe. A mobile card game.

there's like so many different hikage cards, and more off of the "Super Rare" page I linked to.

Awesome, thanks. :3

Also, there's a Senran Kagura mobile game? How popular is the series in Japan? o.o

crinale

Did you preorder? :]

You think it's going to do well? Plus the frown makes me think you wanted to pre-order but didn't. ;_;

Hopefully I get the pre-order bonus(es). Not sure if the visual book and drama CDs come with the regular edition or just NyuNyu.

I would go digital anyway so no hassle for me. I just felt it's a pity that niche titles get shafted by retailers. Obviously the pre-order shortage is caused by retailers planning to stock so few copies (same thing happened to Demon Gaze).

In their defense, it doesn't make sense to take risk to stock many copies of niche titles, so I don't blame them at all.

zulux21

I don't think there is any hope here,there will be no Yakuza 5 in the west and no Phantasy Star Online 2,SEGA simply just can't afford it (especially now after what Gearbox have done)

you could at least wait until they launch the english version of the PC version (which they already confirmed is coming) before getting all doom and gloom about the vita version :p

zulux21

Should I even hope to one day play ps2 classics on my vita? Or am I lttp?

classics, no not really.
ports, those you have hope for.

I wouldn't be surprised if a number of ps2 games follow in persona 4's foot steps and slowly come over.

given that the ps3 has issues emulating ps2 games, and the vita is weaker than a ps3... it's just not likely that we will see to many ps2 classics if any.

VanWinkle

If my website is the best site for PSM news, you have a problem.

More like the only site. It makes me sad/mad that PSM failed so miserably. Could have been a cool concept, but Sony wasn't behind it at ALL. They released one solitary, half-butted beat making app. Ugh, I feel like a FOOL for believing in it.

More like the only site. It makes me sad/mad that PSM failed so miserably. Could have been a cool concept, but Sony wasn't behind it at ALL. They released one solitary, half-butted beat making app. Ugh, I feel like a FOOL for believing in it.

I think they are treating it like a beta, they are still undecided what to do with it. I don't think they will kill it right away, there's a golden opportunity there to bring indies to PSN so I don't think they'll just abandon it.

VanWinkle

I think they are treating it like a beta, they are still undecided what to do with it. I don't think they will kill it right away, there's a golden opportunity there to bring indies to PSN so I don't think they'll just abandon it.

Hope so. I would love to see it turned around.

DiscoJer

As someone who tries to cover PSM for a different site, I don't think you can lay all the blame on Sony.

For one, indies still need to do their own PR. They have to put our press releases, videos on youtube, posts on twitter*, etc. I try to track down news about games, but they have to make it easy to find it.

That really goes back to the Minis days. Developers would put out games and not tell anyone, or release screens or whatnot.

With that said, Sony screwed up the program from the start. It was much too late. They should have started it with the Xperia play, since that seems to be the lowest hardware they are targetting. But it was like 7 months after the Vita launch.

More importantly, they based it around Mono, which seems to be a weird choice. It's sort of close to XNA, but extremely underpowered on the Vita hardware. Reading the official forums, some people benchmark it worse than the PSP in some things. They should have somehow tried to use Unity. That can make commercial quality games.

With that said, having played probably have the PS Mobile titles so far, I don't think most of them really deserve to sell well. Most are closer to flash game quality than mobile. Some remind me more of those games you'd find in magazines, the ones you'd type in your personal computer.

* And don't use PSM on twitter. Like 50 different things use the PSM hashtag, from a French Boy band to a couple different political parties to Pakistani Steel Mills

kassatsu

Banned
This should be a good GDC talk - PlayStation Vita Development: From Start-to-Finish and Why You Should Be Excited About It (Presented by Sony)

VanWinkle

As someone who tries to cover PSM for a different site, I don't think you can lay all the blame on Sony.

For one, indies still need to do their own PR. They have to put our press releases, videos on youtube, posts on twitter*, etc. I try to track down news about games, but they have to make it easy to find it.

That really goes back to the Minis days. Developers would put out games and not tell anyone, or release screens or whatnot.

With that said, Sony screwed up the program from the start. It was much too late. They should have started it with the Xperia play, since that seems to be the lowest hardware they are targetting. But it was like 7 months after the Vita launch.

More importantly, they based it around Mono, which seems to be a weird choice. It's sort of close to XNA, but extremely underpowered on the Vita hardware. Reading the official forums, some people benchmark it worse than the PSP in some things. They should have somehow tried to use Unity. That can make commercial quality games.

With that said, having played probably have the PS Mobile titles so far, I don't think most of them really deserve to sell well. Most are closer to flash game quality than mobile. Some remind me more of those games you'd find in magazines, the ones you'd type in your personal computer.

* And don't use PSM on twitter. Like 50 different things use the PSM hashtag, from a French Boy band to a couple different political parties to Pakistani Steel Mills

Yeah, there honestly seems to be MAYBE 3 or 4 games at a level that's approaching a decent iOS game, and the rest are completely worthless. The blame isn't all on Sony to be sure, but they've made countless terrible decisions, including the ones you talked about. Sony advertised this as Playstation quality games for mobile and Vita, and I'm pretty sure they said how they would be putting games out. It's been almost five months. They've had time. They should have launched with several games made by Sony themselves, yet they made one terrible little app, and that's been their ONLY contribution (if you could even call it that).

I HATE that it's not a great service. I was hyping it up, and I couldn't wait for the release, so I'm extremely disappointed. It hurts. I thought this is how we could have got great apps AND iOS/Android-level games. What we have is like the lowest of the low, and only one app.

I mean, minis even had some great games, and even games from Gameloft, which PSM will probably never have. There was a minis version of Pacman Championship DX and Tetris by EA. We're unlikely to get as high profile of games as those. It just makes me sad, honestly. Futurlab, who has been a big supporter of Playstation, put out Velocity on minis which was a far bigger game than anything on PSM, including their own titles.

Takao

Banned
I'm pretty sure they said how they would be putting games out. It's been almost five months. They've had time. They should have launched with several games made by Sony themselves, yet they made one terrible little app, and that's been their ONLY contribution (if you could even call it that).

Sony's released a few more things than just an app, lol:

- Everybody's Arcade (lol)
- Beats Sliders
- Beats Trellis
- Numblast
- Lemmings
- Puzziball
- Bullion Blitz

For some reason the listings don't credit SCE for a lot of them, but Beats, Lemmings, etc. are SCE IPs. Puzziball, and Bullion Blitz were developed in partnership with xDev, a program that runs out of SCE Liverpool.

Puziball, Bullion Blitz and Lemmings were facilitated by SCEE. And the better PSM titles have gotten promoted on the PS Blogs, especially the EU one.

I think a bigger problem is that the few titles are providing something up to the standards of what native Vita titles do, and the mobile phone userbase isn't there yet... Anybody know if Sony phones actually ship with PSM now, or do they still have to find out about it and decide to download it themselves?

Anyway, there's still a number of things Sony can do (more countries, PSN integration, etc.), and if Sony's phone side keeps doing well that should help. But suppose we shouldn't expect a "killer app" any time soon.

For some reason the listings don't credit SCE for a lot of them, but Beats, Lemmings, etc. are SCE IPs. Puzziball, and Bullion Blitz were developed in partnership with xDev, a program that runs out of SCE Liverpool.
xDev are SCEE's equivalent of Santa Monica's external development division. They have a hand in all Sony first party titles developed in Europe by outside studios.

I have so many fuckin games to play... and I am about to buy Persona 4 Golden from PSN. What is wrong with me? ;-;

Also got Lumines and Wipeout from plus. Lumines seems like a fun little game but I am still putting most of my ''casual game time'' into pinball arcade. Wipeout looks fuckin insane. I think its the best looking title on Vita, even better than Uncharted. There were whining about 30fps but honestly I don't even notice it. If I had to whine about something it's that Wipeout is one of those games I prefer on bigger screen.

Also I am pretty hyped by the remote play possibilities of PSV-PS4. Of course some games that need fast reaction time ect. would suffer but turn based and slower games would be awesome on bed. I'd kill to play Ni No Kuni on my Vita for example but alas I do not have CFW.

BTW what is the reason for no Youtube app on EU store?

I have so many fuckin games to play... and I am about to buy Persona 4 Golden from PSN. What is wrong with me? ;-;

Also got Lumines and Wipeout from plus. Lumines seems like a fun little game but I am still putting most of my ''casual game time'' into pinball arcade. Wipeout looks fuckin insane. I think its the best looking title on Vita, even better than Uncharted. There were whining about 30fps but honestly I don't even notice it. If I had to whine about something it's that Wipeout is one of those games I prefer on bigger screen.

Also I am pretty hyped by the remote play possibilities of PSV-PS4. Of course some games that need fast reaction time ect. would suffer but turn based and slower games would be awesome on bed. I'd kill to play Ni No Kuni on my Vita for example but alas I do not have CFW.

BTW what is the reason for no Youtube app on EU store?

I'm in the UK and there is totally a YT app :/

It's actually VERY good

DiscoJer

Puziball, Bullion Blitz and Lemmings were facilitated by SCEE. And the better PSM titles have gotten promoted on the PS Blogs, especially the EU one.

I think a bigger problem is that the few titles are providing something up to the standards of what native Vita titles do, and the mobile phone userbase isn't there yet... Anybody know if Sony phones actually ship with PSM now, or do they still have to find out about it and decide to download it themselves?

PS Mobile's best case is reaching PSP quality, not Vita. I don't think there is any title that comes close to looking like Lemmings does, which was a PSP game. About the only improvement is the higher resolution.

Game like Puziball, Bullion Blitz, and even Lemmings might have competed with Mobile/Tablet titles 5 years ago, but not today.

And then look at Gun Commando. It's an okay game, but PS Mobile struggles to provide Rise of the Triad style graphics.

I think when PS Suite was first announced, people were literally expecting Android games, like Real Racing, NOVA, Modern Combat, Shadowgun, Dead Trigger, etc. And I can't believe people who can play those games on their high priced Sony phones/tablets will choose to play games with so much worse graphics than what is in the Play store.

Top Bottom