• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Is PS1 Persona 2 better than the PSP one? I didnt like the slow combat and supposedly easiness of P2 PSP. Anyone who can compare?

SmokyDave

I picked up Sonic & Sega All-Stars Transformed and Virtua Tennis at the weekend. My Vita is now so chock full of gaming goodness that I can't help but bring it to work even if it's as portable as a house-brick.

Bring on NGS2 & DOA5!

with regards to PSM I just cant believe they didn't make it like the app/play store and allow devs to make interesting apps and games. Civ Rev on my vita would be fantastic but no aparently not. PC remote play, also fantastic.... no sign at all.

I had a lot of hope for it but its just been left to die so far.

Luckily there are tons of great Vita, PSP and PSX games to play.

Im really liking Ragnarok. Not to many people online but there are games. Im currently playing as a mage and I really like the combo system. Its really fun way to do the combat and each combo has its own use making it less button mashy than first appearances make you believe.

Hopefully between this and P4G il be a happy gamer till Soul Sacrifice arrives.

Dave - Sonic racing is great. Hard as hell on anything more than normal and 90% luck towards the end of career but great fun none the less.

Dave - Sonic racing is great. Hard as hell on anything more than normal and 90% luck towards the end of career but great fun none the less.

Just received mine from Zavvi, I'll play it on normal then at first, don't want to brake my Vita ;)
Eliting WipEout in all events, except some of those A+ ten lap races that are just insanely difficult/annoying, was already intense enough.

Persona 4 get! My first legit Vita purchase :lol (if you don't count Pinball Arcade DLC ^^). Any tips on difficulty setting? Also does it affect trophies? I heard you need 2 playthroughs to get them all so I guess I don't need to worry about missables the first time around and just spoil em for the second run if I feel like platinuming?

derwalde

i think im getting closer to the end of P4G. now my question: is P3/P3P as charming as P4G?

The best thing about the game are the charming characters - i love everyone of them. the artwork of the village (small, peaceful town) and the social events are great aswell.

is P3/P3P more serious in these aspects?

Persona 4 get! My first legit Vita purchase :lol (if you don't count Pinball Arcade DLC ^^). Any tips on difficulty setting? Also does it affect trophies? I heard you need 2 playthroughs to get them all so I guess I don't need to worry about missables the first time around and just spoil em for the second run if I feel like platinuming?

1st playthrough play on normal everything...if you are going for platinum the one concern this round should be:
hard core risette fan: which requires you to list to 250 of risettes navigation lines...NOT regular interaction but lines that she says during fights. If you play on easy youll be too overleveled to hear alot of the lines
other wise yeah, just have fun!!!!

as for the 2nd playthrough youll probably wanna guide as just about every trophy is missable.

Going to guess on reality fighters or mma supreme for us US+ members this week. you know they coming.........

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
i think im getting closer to the end of P4G. now my question: is P3/P3P as charming as P4G?

The best thing about the game are the charming characters - i love everyone of them. the artwork of the village (small, peaceful town) and the social events are great aswell.

is P3/P3P more serious in these aspects?

P3 has a more serious tone, but I like the story and character stories even more than I liked P4s. The characters are just as charming as well, even if some people still might have their personal favourite in P4 ;)

I'd recommend getting P3Fes if you dont mind playing it on the big screen btw.

Sorry i haven't been around much lately. Had a bad few weeks :(

Anyway, my friend's game - Nunnageddon - is coming to Playstation Mobile soon. Just been sent to Sony certification :). Check out the website http://www.danielcakegames.co.uk.gridhosted.co.uk/

Anyway, i'll try and be around more now :)

Sorry to hear that. :/

That looks a bit like Super Crate Box, which is good.

Persona 4 Golden charted at 30 in the UK in its opening week. That's not amazing but it's decent for a niche JRPG released on an even niche-r platform.

Why would he say living room for a tablet though?

I would bet on an Apple TV-like device, mainly advertised as a Netflix/Video Unlimited thing using the Vita SOC and OS as a base.

Like roku? Hadn't thought about that, yeah, maybe, if it's cheap enough like 50 bucks, though not something I would personally be interested in.

If PlayStation All-Stars wins best PS3 game for the Gamer's Choice Awards sale, will it come with the Vita version? It should, right? I really want to pick it up, so might as well see if I get 50+% off.

If PlayStation All-Stars wins best PS3 game for the Gamer's Choice Awards sale, will it come with the Vita version? It should, right? I really want to pick it up, so might as well see if I get 50+% off.

PS3 digital version always comes with Vita version, I think.

Hopefully they don't get cheeky and do separate discounts for each version.

I finally picked up a Vita at the weekend as my PS+ download list hit a Vita Games critical mass, and the announcement of the MGS port tipped the scale (I never played 3).

I recently finished watching the Giant Bomb Persona 4 Endurance Run and loved it. I've never played a Persona game before.

Should I get P4G, bearing in mind that I know the story/social links from the GB:ER, or should I get P3P? I know nothing about the story for P3 but is it significantly worse mechanically than P4?

Also, if P4 is 100 hours ish, how long is P3P?

ZeroAKA

1st playthrough play on normal everything...if you are going for platinum the one concern this round should be:
hard core risette fan: which requires you to list to 250 of risettes navigation lines...NOT regular interaction but lines that she says during fights. If you play on easy youll be too overleveled to hear alot of the lines
other wise yeah, just have fun!!!!

as for the 2nd playthrough youll probably wanna guide as just about every trophy is missable.
Actually,
Hardcore Risette Fan
might be easier in NG+ since you will be able to breeze through battles using your carried-over Personas at low levels. I've also seen people mentioning that
Risette lines
might also carry over to NG+.

It should, but I highly doubt PSASBR will win.

nampad

Hey Vita-GAF, first post on neogaf and it had to be in here. I really enjoy the device since launch and the community here seems nice. Can't believe how many games I already bought in the 1 year lifespan of the Vita. Right now Persona 4 got me hooked, great game.

Hey Vita-GAF, first post on neogaf and it had to be in here. I really enjoy the device since launch and the community here seems nice. Can't believe how many games I already bought in the 1 year lifespan of the Vita. Right now Persona 4 got me hooked, great game.

Welcome! Glad to hear you're enjoying the Vita and Persona 4!

ZeroAKA

Welcome to GAF! Congrats on getting approved in less than a week. It took me a month (and some people even longer)...

I also just started on Persona 4 (EU digital release), and also enjoy that blatant Trials HD ripoff - would love the real thing, but this is still a lot of fun, especially thanks to the use of ghosts and such.

Dec

I also just started on Persona 4 (EU digital release), and also enjoy that blatant Trials HD ripoff - would love the real thing, but this is still a lot of fun, especially thanks to the use of ghosts and such.

Trials games have been around forever, though this game probably got made due to Trials success.

kiyomi

Welcome to GAF! You've made a wise choice with Persona 4, good to see people still enjoying it.

Tizoc

Sooooooooooo how much do you think the digital ver. of FFX is gonna go for when it gets released? I mean this for both Vita and/or Cross buy versions.

cafemomo

Is PS1 Persona 2 better than the PSP one? I didnt like the slow combat and supposedly easiness of P2 PSP. Anyone who can compare?

P2 EP? If the slow combat of P2 IS isn't your cup of tea, you won't enjoy P2 EP.

But the story of P2 EP is pretty nice.

Sid

Great,what games are you looking forward to?

I'm trying to switch accounts on my vita to gear up for PSO2 this week. Every time I try to deactivate my system in settings I get an error code. Does anyone know how to correct this?

I picked up Sonic & Sega All-Stars Transformed and Virtua Tennis at the weekend. My Vita is now so chock full of gaming goodness that I can't help but bring it to work even if it's as portable as a house-brick.

Bring on NGS2 & DOA5!

You think the Vita is a brick? It is like the same size and weight as a 3DS? I do wish I could find a nice sleeve case for it though.

I'm trying to switch accounts on my vita to gear up for PSO2 this week. Every time I try to deactivate my system in settings I get an error code. Does anyone know how to correct this?

If you plan to switch back, you don't actually need to deactivate. Just make sure your trophies are synced up.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
More like the only site. It makes me sad/mad that PSM failed so miserably. Could have been a cool concept, but Sony wasn't behind it at ALL. They released one solitary, half-butted beat making app. Ugh, I feel like a FOOL for believing in it.

I think they are treating it like a beta, they are still undecided what to do with it. I don't think they will kill it right away, there's a golden opportunity there to bring indies to PSN so I don't think they'll just abandon it.

As someone who tries to cover PSM for a different site, I don't think you can lay all the blame on Sony.

For one, indies still need to do their own PR. They have to put our press releases, videos on youtube, posts on twitter*, etc. I try to track down news about games, but they have to make it easy to find it.

That really goes back to the Minis days. Developers would put out games and not tell anyone, or release screens or whatnot.

With that said, Sony screwed up the program from the start. It was much too late. They should have started it with the Xperia play, since that seems to be the lowest hardware they are targetting. But it was like 7 months after the Vita launch.

More importantly, they based it around Mono, which seems to be a weird choice. It's sort of close to XNA, but extremely underpowered on the Vita hardware. Reading the official forums, some people benchmark it worse than the PSP in some things. They should have somehow tried to use Unity. That can make commercial quality games.

With that said, having played probably have the PS Mobile titles so far, I don't think most of them really deserve to sell well. Most are closer to flash game quality than mobile. Some remind me more of those games you'd find in magazines, the ones you'd type in your personal computer.

* And don't use PSM on twitter. Like 50 different things use the PSM hashtag, from a French Boy band to a couple different political parties to Pakistani Steel Mills

Yeah, there honestly seems to be MAYBE 3 or 4 games at a level that's approaching a decent iOS game, and the rest are completely worthless. The blame isn't all on Sony to be sure, but they've made countless terrible decisions, including the ones you talked about. Sony advertised this as Playstation quality games for mobile and Vita, and I'm pretty sure they said how they would be putting games out. It's been almost five months. They've had time. They should have launched with several games made by Sony themselves, yet they made one terrible little app, and that's been their ONLY contribution (if you could even call it that).

I HATE that it's not a great service. I was hyping it up, and I couldn't wait for the release, so I'm extremely disappointed. It hurts. I thought this is how we could have got great apps AND iOS/Android-level games. What we have is like the lowest of the low, and only one app.

I mean, minis even had some great games, and even games from Gameloft, which PSM will probably never have. There was a minis version of Pacman Championship DX and Tetris by EA. We're unlikely to get as high profile of games as those. It just makes me sad, honestly. Futurlab, who has been a big supporter of Playstation, put out Velocity on minis which was a far bigger game than anything on PSM, including their own titles.

The other thing that Sony seems to be trying with PS Mobile is promoting it with indie game Jams

Here's a blog post by a winner

http://goldenrubygames.com/blog/indiecade-east-sony-gamejam

It looks like a decent game (better than that Ahoy! whose video I posted earlier). But I really don't think games that took a week to make (and then a month to polish) are going to change the fortunes of PS Mobile.

Sony's released a few more things than just an app, lol:

- Everybody's Arcade (lol)
- Beats Sliders
- Beats Trellis
- Numblast
- Lemmings
- Puzziball
- Bullion Blitz

For some reason the listings don't credit SCE for a lot of them, but Beats, Lemmings, etc. are SCE IPs. Puzziball, and Bullion Blitz were developed in partnership with xDev, a program that runs out of SCE Liverpool.

Puziball, Bullion Blitz and Lemmings were facilitated by SCEE. And the better PSM titles have gotten promoted on the PS Blogs, especially the EU one.

I think a bigger problem is that the few titles are providing something up to the standards of what native Vita titles do, and the mobile phone userbase isn't there yet... Anybody know if Sony phones actually ship with PSM now, or do they still have to find out about it and decide to download it themselves?

Anyway, there's still a number of things Sony can do (more countries, PSN integration, etc.), and if Sony's phone side keeps doing well that should help. But suppose we shouldn't expect a "killer app" any time soon.

xDev are SCEE's equivalent of Santa Monica's external development division. They have a hand in all Sony first party titles developed in Europe by outside studios.

PS Mobile's best case is reaching PSP quality, not Vita. I don't think there is any title that comes close to looking like Lemmings does, which was a PSP game. About the only improvement is the higher resolution.

Game like Puziball, Bullion Blitz, and even Lemmings might have competed with Mobile/Tablet titles 5 years ago, but not today.

And then look at Gun Commando. It's an okay game, but PS Mobile struggles to provide Rise of the Triad style graphics.

I think when PS Suite was first announced, people were literally expecting Android games, like Real Racing, NOVA, Modern Combat, Shadowgun, Dead Trigger, etc. And I can't believe people who can play those games on their high priced Sony phones/tablets will choose to play games with so much worse graphics than what is in the Play store.

So we all agree that PSM is a failure right now.

Question is, why people were attacking me like crazy every single time I talked about PSM before?

Awesome, thanks. :3

Also, there's a Senran Kagura mobile game? How popular is the series in Japan? o.o
No problem.

Yeah, it's got... a lot of characters. There's also a TCG, many different manga, an anime, and more. So... it's popular for what it is and slowly gaining popularity?

The problem is it won't let me enter my psn account info on my memory card. It continues to show my US info.
Did you try following my lovely guide? It's longwinded but it works!

Actually,
Hardcore Risette Fan
might be easier in NG+ since you will be able to breeze through battles using your carried-over Personas at low levels. I've also seen people mentioning that
Risette lines
might also carry over to NG+.

well last i checked they still debating that. As far as the leveling goes carrying over makes it harder because of the reason you stated....you breeze through, get overleveled and miss all the weaker lines unless you just run through dungeons (missing money which youll need alot of in the end for the
fuse all trophy
and on top of that you really want the levels
for the margaret fight/trophy
).

Thats just the way i went through it and it worked,its certainly not written in stone....id just hate to see someone have to do a 3rd playthrough for these

No problem.

Yeah, it's got... a lot of characters. There's also a TCG, many different manga, an anime, and more. So... it's popular for what it is and slowly gaining popularity?

Did you try following my lovely guide? It's longwinded but it works!
The problem I'm having is that its still showing my US account on my vita even with no card inserted. I can't deactivate the system because of the error message. It won't let me sign in under my Japanese account due to this.

Top Bottom