• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wake up and smell the ashes. Half-Life: Alyx is on 66% discount right now, just in time for the imminent PSVR2 support (for PC)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Sony's previously announced PC adapter for PSVR2 is available imminently, launching on 7th August. In a fortuitous coincidence, Half-Life: Alyx, widely regarded as the finest VR game on the market (and exclusive to Steam), is steeply discounted, and so if you plan on adapting like Sony, the two together should make for an incredible pairing.

giphy.webp

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I will add this, VR is good-great. The library of games on PC/Quest is very good at this point. It might not have the Zelda’s or The Last of Us’s, but it’s got smaller lower priced experiences.

I think every VR gamer should have Half Life Alyx, Asgards Wrath 1 & 2, Tetris Effect, Beat Saber, Walkabout Minigolf, Real VR Fishing and Resident Evil 4. Then there are tons of smaller fun games too. I wish I played my Quest 3 more.

Reactions: GHG

MiguelItUp

I bought a VR headset just for this game, albeit not the best one as I didn't want to break the bank. But I was still able to enjoy it for long periods, or at least as long as my "VR legs" would allow me. Definitely think it's worth getting into, especially if you're a HL fan. I'm not the biggest VR fan, but it was easily the best single player VR experience I played.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
And if you finish this, play:
  • the amazing mod campaigns on the workshop
  • Half Life 2: VR (perfect conversion, full motion for guns, reloading, everything)
  • Half Life 2: Episode 1 / Episode 2 VR
  • Portal 2 VR mod (and mod campaigns work on it, so there's another 50 hours of high quality fun)
You could spend all your VR time in the Half Life universe and never get bored.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Games like Alyx? Corect. There are some good story less games but idc about that shit. I want 20 games at the very least like Alyx for me to even consider getting a VR.
Keep waiting then. Stuff like RtCW, Doom(s), Skyrim, Fallout, RE2R, etc are great.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Half Life Alyx was the best gaming experience I got in the past 2 decades

I wouldn't even want Half Life 3 other than in VR now.

Keep wainting then. Stuff like RtCW, Doom(s), Skyrim, Fallout, RE2R, etc are great.

I get it, but I cant afford a VR for 3 great story VR games(Alyx, I think that the Walking Dead game has a great story as well from what I heard? and theres another famous one recently released an rpg with famous voice actors, dont remember the name). Some non-vr games are being ported to VR like rodrigo mentioned such as RE games but I already played those and they are already on non-vr so again they dont count either. Exclusive VR story focused games is a dead market and anyone saying otherwise is delusional.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I get it, but I cant afford a VR for 3 great story VR games(Alyx, I think that the Walking Dead game has a great story as well from what I heard? and theres another famous one recently released an rpg with famous voice actors, dont remember the name). Some non-vr games are being ported to VR like rodrigo mentioned such as RE games but I already played those and they are already on non-vr so again they dont count either. Exclusive VR story focused games is a dead market and anyone saying otherwise is delusional.

• Single player story :
    • Half Life Alyx
    • Lone echo 1 & 2 (meta)
    • Walking dead saints and sinners
    • Assassin creed Nexus (meta)
    • Moss 1 & 2
    • Asgard's Wrath 1 & 2 (meta)
    • Boneworks / Bonelab
    • Red Matter 2 (meta)
    • Vertigo 1 & 2
  • Single player "you played" it but not really as VR is another league:
    • Resident evil 4 (meta)
    • Skyrim VR
    • No man sky
    • Subnautica
    • Superhot
    • Half Life 2 VR mod (with episodes 1 & 2)
    • Star Wars Squadrons
  • You'll have fun even if you don't want to admit it list :
    • Beat saber
    • Walkabout mini golf
    • The climb 1 & 2 (meta)
    • Pistol whip, arcade gunslinging
  • If you sim then its a no brainer
    • Assetto corsa
    • iRacing
    • Automobilista 2
    • DCS
    • Microsoft flight sim
    • Elite dangerous
    • etc
And I skip a shitload of fun titles. For dungeon crawlers like Ancient Dungeons, to horror games, it's full of games. They don't have to be Half Life Alyx caliber without being super fun.

And we're barely touching the tip of the iceberg if we go with mods.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
  • Single player story :
    • Half Life Alyx
    • Lone echo 1 & 2 (meta)
    • Moss 1 & 2
    • Boneworks / Bonelab
    • Red Matter 2 (meta)
    • Vertigo 1 & 2
I forgot about some of these myself.

Red Matter games are fantastic if you like puzzles/atmosphere, as is Seventh Guest VR and The Room VR.

Lone Echo (I've only played the first one) is a memorable cinematic journey. Also a full-size game, to be sure, with extremely high production value throughout.

Bonelab/works are among my favorite VR experiences, bizarre atmosphere you have to experience.

Playing Asgard's Wrath 2 at the moment and haven't had much time for it, but certainly fills the large-world niche.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Single player story :
  • Half Life Alyx
  • Lone echo 1 & 2 (meta)
  • Moss 1 & 2
  • Boneworks / Bonelab
  • Red Matter 2 (meta)
  • Vertigo 1 & 2

I forgot about boneworks, it has a story? The rest are not for me. That makes less than 5 and these came out over 10 years or so. Sorry buddy, investing in VR atm is a dud and most ppl who tried to "convince" me were forced to, due to buyers remorse. PSVR2 was a massive flop.

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
One of its kind experience that completely blows you away and takes you into that world like only VR can. Unfortunately, its the only one at that level for VR. Maybe Lone Echo 1 is somewhat in the range. But thats about it.

I wish VR had a few more games like this. I sold my Quest 2 after a while as it got reduced to a novelty machine to play around with guests with no games I was interested in.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Oh great! Game is on sale! Gonna buy pc adapter, can't wait to try.

Oh no....gtx 1070. Cry
as others said, the game's engine scales extremely well to different hardware, thanks for Valve engineering. It'll run on something that's old and near the low end of VR capability, but you can also max it out beautifully if you have something powerful.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
According to the official spec sheet a minimum of Turing (16XX) is required to run PSVR2 on PC, not specifically Alyx. That's what I was getting at.
Oh good question.

I wonder if anyone has examined the system load of PSVR2, compared to alternatives. The encoding used to transmit the video makes all the difference in the world -- when I was on an underpowered / baseline system playing Alyx years ago, the Oculus Link (direct connection) had a such a high drag on my system that the game was unplayable. But by switching to the super fast encoding of Virtual Desktop, it was a night and day difference.

So it's very possible that the PSVR2's adapter will bump up the system requirements of games dramatically if it isn't efficient.

Minsc

Gold Member

I mean you could buy a used Quest 2 and sell it when you're done, I imagine you'd lose maybe $20 or $30. Could also buy a used PSVR2 when the dust from this PC release settles down and sell that as well, but the loss might be triple or so.

Top Bottom