• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warcraft |OT| You Are Not Prepared

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zackat

From Warcraft's Chinese distributor:

G1nOHax.jpg

So I'll meet-up with you guys in Beijing in four years for the premiere of the Chinese co-produced sequel :D

bookin my flight.

Limit

Never played the games and went in with low expectations. Pretty decent flick. The orcs were enjoyable to watch. There were some scenes that left me wondering if I missed some story beats earlier in the movie where things on the screen now were foreshadowed,
like for instance that demon thing that the human mage transforms into; is that demon the main wirepuller who is corrupting magic bearers with his green mist?
But I felt the same with movies like lord of the rings too. Wasn't able to connect all the dots until the whole trilogy played out. The overall storyline was easy enough to follow. Would be glad to watch a sequel or two.

devilhawk

Finally saw the movie. I played WoW for a few years back in the vanilla days so I did have some past background on the setting and characters. I still felt like I was missing some info which could only mean those without some prior knowledge are undoubtedly lost.

Was entertaining. I would watch another movie in the series, but doubt I would go to a theatre and watch it this time.

komplanen

Watched the movie high as a kite and let me tell you some of the magic effects were sick as fuck.
Medivh being held back by the fell he tainted the pool with and all the life-sucking effects were my favourites. Also the box with a woman in it wtf?

Movie itself was both the dumbest thing I've ever witnessed on a screen and a pretty decent fan service movie for WoW fans. One thing I'm sure about though, is that I'm really glad the movie didn't try to look like the LotR trilogy. Even if the end results kinda look like as if it was all produced by Syfy for TV, it at least looks like Warcraft.

hollomat

Banned
Watched this the offer day and I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. Maybe it's cause I went in with such low expectations.

I thought it was much better than the reviews would have you believe.

Loxley

gappv4A.png

Unfortunate, but expected. Excited to see some of the deleted scenes. I'm also really hoping for a director's commentary, though I don't see one listed on the back of blu-ray on Amazon. Warcraft strikes me as a movie that will do well on home video, I'm willing to bet the 4K release will look pretty damn stunning.

Also, this unused (but official) poster has been making the rounds:

Zackat

gappv4A.png

Unfortunate, but expected. Excited to see some of the deleted scenes. I'm also really hoping for a director's commentary, though I don't see one listed on the back of blu-ray on Amazon. Warcraft strikes me as a movie that will do well on home video, I'm willing to bet the 4K release will look pretty damn stunning.

That poster.. Why didn't they use that.

Steelbook or not. That's the question.

Hogger

gappv4A.png

Why was it expected?

Zushin

So haven't really kept up with how well the movie has been doing but from what I've heard it bombed in the states but did okay elsewhere? Do we reckon it did well enough for a sequel?

Zackat

So haven't really kept up with how well the movie has been doing but from what I've heard it bombed in the states but did okay elsewhere? Do we reckon it did well enough for a sequel?
Maybe. That's probably the most we can hope for now.

Seems pretty obvious they must be thinking about green lighting a sequel

They really should. I think the the Second War will make for a much better film (following Turalyon and Doomhammer). Mostly I just want to see a big screen version of Turalyon vs. Doomhammer at the foot of Blackrock Mountain.

scoobs

They really should. I think the the Second War will make for a much better film (following Turalyon and Doomhammer). Mostly I just want to see a big screen version of Turalyon vs. Doomhammer at the foot of Blackrock Mountain.

If nothing else, its a guaranteed money maker in China, which is now the biggest (or about to be?) movie market in the world. Just makes sense. I sincerely hope they jump right into Arthas/LK storyline, and introduce other races and bring more fantasy. I want undead, gnomes, elves, tauren. I want Illidan and Malfurion, there's so much they could do.

Gorger

If nothing else, its a guaranteed money maker in China, which is now the biggest (or about to be?) movie market in the world. Just makes sense. I sincerely hope they jump right into Arthas/LK storyline, and introduce other races and bring more fantasy. I want undead, gnomes, elves, tauren. I want Illidan and Malfurion, there's so much they could do.

I can't see how you would put all of Warcraft 3 into one movie. It would have to be at least 3-4 parts to give all the angles time to grow.

Sölf

I can't see how you would put all of Warcraft 3 into one movie. It would have to be at least 3-4 parts to give all the angles time to grow.

In WC3s case, I think 1-2 campaigns could fill a single movie. Add to that the addon and you could probably get 4+ movies just for that.

J_Viper

So, are the first twenty-five minutes indicative of the rest of the movie, in terms of quality?

Because as dumb as it is, I'm entertained, and if it stays this way, I'd rather finish the rest on Blu-Ray.

I'm actually really digging the Orc stuff. I also can't help but laugh at Travis Fimmel , the dude is clearly high as shit.

frequency

Skeletons aren't banned in China. They exist in several games released in China even. The Forsaken having the skeleton joints covered up in WoW is just self censoring. Like swimsuits aren't banned in NA but that doesn't stop Nintendo from trying to make you think they are.

But in whoever is handling WoW-China's defense, you have to be careful with the Chinese government. A wrong step with them is a bit bigger deal in terms of continuing to do business there.

zeshakag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgZdlGZ2_TQ

A cut scene involving the Orcs discussing the fel has appeared on youtube.

...I have no idea why this scene was cut.

That scene was great! I haven't watched the movie yet but I am disappointed this isn't in the cut.

I have noticed a lot of movies these days are afraid to take their time.

Even Kung Fu Panda 3 is way faster than Kung Fu Panda 1. How to Train Your Dragon 2 is way faster than 1.

I don't think the Dark Knight would make release today if Nolan couldn't have his way.

It is like these movies got some place to be and are trying to politely leave but humor you at the same time.

fanboi

Banned
Watched this just and it was very good imo.

They made a high fantasy that wasn't cringe worthy, at least for me.

I really hope another installment comes.

Cetra

That cut Hellscream scene... SO should have been in the movie. Eh, either way I dug the flick and am hopeful for a sequel. I love the world and its characters, no matter the medium they're being presented in.

This movie was so terribly paced and character motivations made no sense with betrayals happening with seemingly no logic behind it. The visuals weren't bad tho but some of the fights really did seem to lack weight.

Let's hope the sequel is better written.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
It really saddens me how the studio treated this movie. It's like they wanted it to die.

Dead

well not really...yet
Lmao. How much money did they spend finishing scenes that ended up cut. That's utterly moronic. You'd think they'd at least keep any scene that had millions spent on it.

Zackat

What does Ogrim say in the end and is his voice editing different from the final cut or is it just me?

"Yes, but... you're... green."

Definitely sounds like a different Orc filter, though they changed it several times in all the different trailers and movies, at least to my ears.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I likes the movie. Seems like it wasn't near the trainwreck the RT score would have you believe.

That being said

This movie was so terribly paced and character motivations made no sense with betrayals happening with seemingly no logic behind it. The visuals weren't bad tho but some of the fights really did seem to lack weight.

Let's hope the sequel is better written.

This still applies. I thought the first half of the movie was really good? The 2nd half especially the final 3rd seemed really rushed. Like they didn't pace out the movie well at all.

Also felt the movie really lacked in terms of world building.

I liked it, but the movie definitely had issues. Plus the end seemed like we need to wrap this up asap. Let's due a quick 1 on 1 that is gonna last 30 seconds. Then half the movie basically end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom