• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warcraft |OT| You Are Not Prepared

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got around to seeing this and liked it a decent bit. Not amazing, but I'd recommend it. As someone who's only real prior knowledge of the IP is the name of most of the races and the continent, none of the character names outside of Gul'Dan and the Lich King, the fact that Gul'Dan
corrupted the Orcs and brought them from a different dimension (or world?)
, and that Garona
is half-Dranei not human (because someone mentioned it in a thread)
, I am kind of baffled that people couldn't follow the plot or understand the world. I thought it was pretty straightforward and felt like only a few details of things flew by me. It definitely feels like it's rushing through the story here and there and a lot of characters get short shrift, but Lothar was charismatic enough to keep me interested (mostly due to Fimmel's performance more than anything else) and I thought the story was interesting and truly didn't see a lot of the
deaths towards the end
coming. The effects are pretty great 90% of the time too (only real problems were with the big wolves who look a little too cartoony and some green screen here and there). I thought all of the character motivations made sense outside of
Doomhammer's betrayal (though I can at least see where he was coming from)

I just don't get a lot of the more harsh criticisms against this movie (comparing it to Battlefield Earth?! Come on). Effects were good, the leads were good (really liked Ben Foster's performance as well), the story was simple but had enough twists on it to make it interesting, the Orcs felt like actual characters with emotions and culture instead of evil monsters, and I felt it towed the line pretty well between being serious enough while still having enough funny moments and lightheartedness to make it feel like a fun adventure. I had a good time with it and I'll be sad if they can't justify making another one.

EDIT: Really curious how the cut 30 minutes would have affected the movie. Personally, I would have been totally cool with an extra half hour run time if it expanded on characters or lore.

One of the most boring movies I've seen in years. I just didn't care about anyone or anything. Maybe it's better if you've played a Warcraft game? I dunno.

ViciousDS

Banned
Just finished it. I didn't find it all that bad. Was worth the $5 I spent buying it. Much better than kingsglaive that's for sure. Thought the casting they chose was well done.....it just seemed a little rushed. This probably would have made more a better TV series on HBO (higher budget TV series) then anything else to flesh out characters and really immerse you into it.

Loxley

strafer

Yet another deleted scene, a bit of any extended intro into the Lion's Pride Inn scene. This is one where you can see what Jones was talking about regarding scenes being cut because they didn't have the money to finish the VFX work.

Apparently the singer/bard in the scene is Chesney Hawkes, a British pop singer from the 90's. He's singing a folkish rendition of his 1991 hit "The One and Only". Bizarre cameo, but hey maybe he and Jones are pals or something.

Maybe he and his dad were tight.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Yet another deleted scene, a bit of any extended intro into the Lion's Pride Inn scene. This is one where you can see what Jones was talking about regarding scenes being cut because they didn't have the money to finish the VFX work.

Apparently the singer/bard in the scene is Chesney Hawkes, a British pop singer from the 90's. He's singing a folkish rendition of his 1991 hit "The One and Only". Bizarre cameo, but hey maybe he and Jones are pals or something.
The One and Only has had an appearance in both moon and source code. Jones wanted to carry on the tradition, so he asked Chesney to perform the song as a bard.

mjc

Anyone know of any good deals on the physical edition since it's out today?

Target has an exclusive packaging version for $19.99, Best Buy has a version for the same price with a bonus features disc. (DVD disc)

I picked up a copy of the Target version since I wasn't sure the bonus Best Buy disc was worth it.

Target has an exclusive packaging version for $19.99, Best Buy has a version for the same price with a bonus features disc. (DVD disc)

I picked up a copy of the Target version since I wasn't sure the bonus Best Buy disc was worth it.

is the 4k bestbuy version just the regular cover and stuff? the website doesn't have a picture

Neverwas

just finished, and i liked it a lot more than i expected. it could have used another 30-60 minutes to flesh out some of the story,
and I don't understand why Dalaran is already floating...
but the visual accuracy had me geeking out through most of the movie. I'd really like to see a sequel, but I know the chances aren't great. =/

Effect

Shame there isn't an extended edition being released. Looking forward to my copy arriving as I really enjoyed the film.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Just got my UHD copy today, no idea it came with WoW and all the expansions up to Draenor.

Haven't played since Burning Crusade so that's a bonus, I may fire it up at some point.

strafer

Got my Warcraft bluray today, seems like they included the teaser they showed at CC 2013.

It was basically a longer intro to the movie, but i would have been hyped as fuck seeing that back then.

Looked darker in tone too.

Jinroh

Just finished watching the bluray, and even though I liked it overall, there were a lot of cringe worthy moments.

- The overall acting of the human cast. It was fine after a while but unbearable at the start of the movie.

- The hybrid orc female. She couldn't speak well because of her plastic dental prothesis lol. Each time she opened her mouth I couldn't take the movie seriously...

- Racial diversity. Ok I understand they want to avoid the lord of the ring controversies. But come on it's an imaginary world. Wanting racial diversity is one thing. But for the human cast they included ONE black dude and ONE asian. There's even an asian elf! They could do much better than that.

- Overall as a fan of the games who played the three warcraft games I understand what was going on, but I don't think you can really enjoy the movie if you don't know about the games and their universe.

Would a sequel lead directly to Warcraft 3?

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
- Racial diversity. Ok I understand they want to avoid the lord of the ring controversies. But come on it's an imaginary world. Wanting racial diversity is one thing. But for the human cast they included ONE black dude and ONE asian. There's even an asian elf! They could do much better than that.

Uh, what controversy? Never heard about that back then.

RPGCrazied

I loved it. I really hope they do more to finish the story. There is a lot of lore to work with. I can see people not a fan of the games thinking it ho hum, but I think the movie was for the fans. And this fan loved it.

Do more.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
It's been criticized by some because it features a white cast.

I figured as much, but come on.

It's like complaining about a movie about norse mythology having an all white cast.

Zoe

They have a black queen.

RPGCrazied

Please, I played the 3 RTS games and played wow from Vanilla to WoD.

The movie was trash, made want to take a nap more than anything else.

That is harsh. The Orc plotline was very well done, and must admit felt for them over the humans. It wasn't trash.

But I'll end it there. To each his own.

Arkeband

Banned
I finally got around to seeing this the other week and yeah, the story is so frenetic and filled with references that it forgets to slow down and actually properly introduce audiences to its world.

The CGI was quite frankly incredible, but when it ended I was just like "...that's it?", because I was still expecting some big battle. Instead all of the main characters got jobbed, and that hilarious cardboard cutout crowd scene from the trailer is the last shot of the movie.

I assume the full, uncut version of the film made more sense, but good lord, what a sloppy mess.

That is harsh. The Orc plotline was very well done, and must admit felt for them over the humans. It wasn't trash.

But I'll end it there. To each his own.

The Orc stuff in general were the most interesting parts of the movie, should have just kept the whole thing from their pov or something, that CGi could have easily carried it.

All the cosplay level human stuff did was take me out of the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom