• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warcraft |OT| You Are Not Prepared

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masaki_

Yeah, I don't know why some execs think they know better than their director. Meddling almost always worsens the final product.

Finaj

Yeah, I don't know why some execs think they know better than their director. Meddling almost always worsens the final product.

I think Kingdom of Heaven is the shinning example of why you should probably let directors into the editing room.

Dead

well not really...yet
If Duncan doesmt know now of there will be a directors cut, that's a bad sign I think. That type of stuff is usually decided by now since there is a typical 4 month window for the home release.

Finaj

If Duncan know now of there will be a directors cut, that's a bad sign I think. That type of stuff is usually decided by now since there is a typical 4 month window for the home release.

He wants one, but it hasn't been confirmed yet. Only thing on home release we've seen is what the steelbook will look like.

Not having seen the movie yet, but with the spoilers in mind, the lore changes that bother me most are
Garona not being a spy, and Orgrim not killing Blackhand. Orgrim should be the warchief at the beginning of the second war, and his leadership clash with Gul'dan is a huge part of it. Without him killing Blackhand I have no idea how that'll go down. If Garona sort of usurps that role it's going to be really lame. Orgrim is too important to get sidelined like this.

Dinjooh

Saw it last night. Wasn't too bad. Probably helped a lot that various reviews had my expectations at a minimum.

Nothing phenomenal but very interesting for fans of the franchise.

Glass

Opens midnight here in the UK, going with a bunch of friends to a 12.40am showing. I hope the crowd is full of fans so all the in jokes and easter eggs get a good reaction.

Finaj

Holy hell so those 40 minutes could add more depth to the characters and more breathing room why did universal do this? beyond stupid.

Apparently Jones ran out of budget on the film and some CGI heavy scenes couldn't be finished.

However, we know there are some finished scenes that didn't make it, including one involving Durotan, Orgrim and Grom talking around a fire before leaving Draenor.

Loxley

A reminder that the review embargo is (officially) up tomorrow, so...

1Nk9rde.gif

...brace yourselves. Let's just try and keep this place as civil as possible :) Even after folks inevitably start bringing up the RT score every page.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
A reminder that the review embargo is (officially) up tomorrow, so...

1Nk9rde.gif

...brace yourselves. Let's just try and keep this place as civil as possible :) Even after folks inevitably start bringing up the RT score every page.

Hopefully they're decent

Can't say I care too much, I'll be seeing it regardless.

Nokterian

Apparently Jones ran out of budget on the film and some CGI heavy scenes couldn't be finished.

However, we know there are some finished scenes that didn't make it, including one involving Durotan, Orgrim and Grom talking around a fire before leaving Draenor.

Hopefully we see a EE on blu ray i will buy the blu ray anyway even twice if needed.

Ennosuke

Holy hell so those 40 minutes could add more depth to the characters and more breathing room why did universal do this? beyond stupid.

Those 40 minutes probably would helped a lot. I would say the movie was good, but it felt too rushed. Too much content and not enough time.
I really felt like being in Azeroth, but like someome was pushing me through the movie.

Haines

Banned
To whom anyone who has seen it and played hearthstone...

The latter is the only way I know the lore aside from rarely playing some of the RTS when I was a kid

Would this hit a hearthstone fan in the feels or not at all

Sölf

So, I saw the movie yesterday. Overall I would say it's somewhere between "okay" and "good". It's definitly not a bad movie, but imo you will really have a hard time if you don't know the source material. The first 20 minutes were extremely rushed, this part in particular could have used 30 or even 40 minutes in order to explain some stuff. After that it got better and overall I think you understood more than enough, but the beginning was really not handled well.

The small changes here and there didn't really bother me at all. It worked in universe and overall it's still the same grand plot, even if some things just worked different from how it went down in the games/books. Visually it was a treat, but dear god, our 3D glasses had this blue tint that just dulled the colors, that was annoying. I also think 3D isn't necessary, nothing was standing out as either good or bad, it's just not necessary.

Houndi101

Considering 2 hours for a movie these days is short, those 40 minutes would have probably made a world of difference.
Shame about the budget running over...

Sölf

Oh, so there really was cut so much. I am pretty sure in the beginning stuff is missing, as the first 20 minutes seem to jump from scene to scene without much explanation and you really have a hard time following what exactly is going on and why stuff is happening.

Watched the Midnight screening in the UK. (After watching Hans Zimmer live! What an evening!)

Anyway. Overall enjoyed what I saw, however just seeing how a huge chunk of the movie was cut out, I am not surprised in the slightest. The movie feels like chunks are missing. It moves at an incredibly fast pace, and I fail to see how anyone who doesn't follow the lore could keep up.

The stuff they nailed, visuals look amazing, I enjoyed the soundtrack overall however (spoiler for music Easter eggs)
they only ever play a bit of Stormwind and Legends of Azeroth. (Credited at the end of Jason Hayes) It's entirely original music.
Disappointed there wasn't more.

I feel really bad for Duncan Jones because it seems like from the marketing and the seemingly forced edit, he's not been able to show his vision of the movie.
There's not enough time for the movie to breath, and even though they spend an equal amount of time with a lot of characters, the way it skips from scene to scene sometimes felt like you're watching an abridged version of Game of Thrones.

I think a Warcraft fan will get something out of this, and this isn't a lazy attempt at a video game movie. It's certainly the most faithful for the fans game movie ever, but as a standalone movie it suffers.

Also to answer the above question, there's a pre-credit stinger. Nothing after the credits, though there's a musical Easter egg in there.

Arex

Just saw it. I don't play the game so some stuff are harder to understand, but overall I thought it's pretty good. The visuals are wow!
I can kinda feel some cuts and rushyness so I hope they will release the extended version.
Hope it doesn't bomb, def will watch if they make the sequel.

Glass

Went to what I thought was a midnight showing last night, only to find the cinema closed and car park empty, and a bewildered employee inside. Turns out it was a 12:40 afternoon showing, so off I go then.

Saw it a couple days ago. It was alright. Not bad, but not particularly good.

The characters were uninteresting as we never got to anyone well. It all felt rushed (why the heck did we need to go to the dwarven city just to skidaddle out of there asap?), but I guess these things can be explained by the cut. Although that's not a good excuse.

The CGI was a bit mixed in my opinion.

Atram

Saw it a couple days ago. It was alright. Not bad, but not particularly good.

The characters were uninteresting as we never got to anyone well. It all felt rushed (why the heck did we need to go to the dwarven city just to skidaddle out of there asap?), but I guess these things can be explained by the cut. Although that's not a good excuse.

The CGI was a bit mixed in my opinion.

I think we saw Ironforge and the dwarfs only for the purpose to show that in this World there are Guns too and to explain why Knights are using this.

it would have feel awkward at the End showing the battle and the Knights are using guns without explanation

This point is one of the few the movie handled right.

I think we saw Ironforge and the dwarfs only for the purpose to show that in this World there are Guns too and to explain why Knights are using this.

it would have feel awkward at the End showing the battle and the Knights are using guns without explanation

This point is one of the few the movie handled right.

I think there's better ways of handling it. It felt really weird and had a negative effect on the pacing: "Here's the dwarven city! They've made guns! Now on with the plot!" The dwarf could have shown him the gun within the human city or something.

SilentRob

We're getting there!

wKpdRH1.png

I'll see it on Monday and I'm pretty sure I'll like it despite its shortcomings. I'll notice them, I'll accept them and hopefully I'll be able to blissfully ignore them.

It's never gonna get there, no big-budget movie is ever gonna reach that level of bad in this day and age anymore.

Well, actually we ARE getting there :p

VojoHmf.png

Going to see it in a few hours. Still kinda excited.

SilentRob

Sölf;205056209 said:
The movie is definitly at least watchable. So anything below 40-50% is just simply not true.

You misunderstand how RottenTomatoes works. 19% isn't some average score. That's silly since many movie sites don't actually give scores or use entirely different scoring systems, if they do (which is the reason Metacritic is such a silly concept for movies).

Rottentomatoes simply says: This is a positive review. This is a negative Review. 81% of all Warcraft reviews are negative. For the score it doesn't matter if you hated the movie, found it boring or merely don't care for it.

To put it simply: 81% of all critics would not recommend this film. That's what that "score" says.

Sölf

You misunderstand how RottenTomatoes works. 19% isn't some average score. That's silly since many movie sites don't actually give scores or use entirely different scoring systems, if they do (which is the reason Metacritic is such a silly concept for movies).

Rottentomatoes simply says: This is a positive review. This is a negative Review. 81% of all Warcraft reviews are negative. For the score it doesn't matter if you hated the movie, found it boring or merely don't care for it.

To put it simply: 81% of all critics would not recommend this film. That's what that "score" says.

Yeah, I actually realized that after posting, especially with the 4/10 score beneath it. xD

Busty

Banned
Though the box office prospects of this are all doom and gloom it's interesting that many people are taking notice of the film's expected (????) box office success in China.

I think you're going to see a lot of studio's developing/producing big fantasy films in future because that's a genre that Chinese audiences like.., apparently.

With that in mind I also hear that Riot Games may finally be ready to make a live action League Of Legends film and it has been (heavily) rumoured that a deal is coming together with a big, well known film studio.

So even though Warcraft could underperform in North America its performance in China could spark a wave of video game adaptations or, at the very least, big fantasy films.

Is there any mid/after credit scenes?

You see a couple of orcs chatting to a figure shrouded in shadows.

They ask the mysterious figure what they should do next.

The mysterious figure says "Kill them...., all of them."

The figure steps out of the shadows and we see its
Miss Pac-Man

Waga-waga-waga-waga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom