• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warriors Orochi 3 |OT| The second-worst game featuring Ryu Hayabusa out this week

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Quick questions:

How do you get crystals?

What do you get for completing character missions? (speaking of which, you DO have to complete said missions with the specific character shown beside it, correct? So if you didn't bring that character, you cant do that mission?)

Do not all characters have 4 costumes? Because I haven't gotten a 3rd for some characters despite them being leveled up and played a lot.

Raise the relationship between the team you're using and the person giving you the mission. Increased relationships only really matter between your team and for certain level unlocks

Only characters who've been in previous iterations have 4 costumes. Someone from Samurai Warriors 3 will have two costumes, but someone from Samurai Warriors 1 will have 4 costumes. Same with DW

Shadow780

Quick questions:

How do you get crystals?

What do you get for completing character missions? (speaking of which, you DO have to complete said missions with the specific character shown beside it, correct? So if you didn't bring that character, you cant do that mission?)

Do not all characters have 4 costumes? Because I haven't gotten a 3rd for some characters despite them being leveled up and played a lot.

Trinity attacks, crystal are rare drops, there's a skill that increases the chance I think (L2+R2)

Number of costumes varies from character to character, some only has two.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So I unlocked Lianshi, increased her to level 20 using gems.....eager to try out after your recommendation. Bought some 3-star weapon and went to some 3-star stage. Mooks dropped at a decent speed, while the general not so. But whatever, she did pretty well. Interesting moveset and such.

When I went back to camp, only then did I realize that I forgot to equip her 3-star weapon. She was actually using her default 1 star weapon, and I still wasn't breaking a sweat then. Then I equipped her with her 3-star weapon and she proceed to mow everything down. The 3-star weapon isn't even fused with much abilities yet!

I can see how broken this Lianshi is. Any other nice characters to recommend?

Muneshige Tachibana is incredible all around, but you have to go out of your way to unlock him

Xiahou Yuan's a bunch of fun too

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Playing as Sima Yi...man, I'd forgotten how DW7 turned a very "meh" strategist character I didn't really like into a grade-A certified badass.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, how the hell have I put 43 hours into this already? :lol Best part is, I still want to play more! That's the best thing about Musou games. They're really incredible values (except maybe Hokuto, but eh, I still liked it).

Hoping we get some more people in the thread once the 360 version hits on Tuesday. I love talking about Musou games, but KoeiWarriors isn't really my sort of place.

Okay, how the hell have I put 43 hours into this already? :lol Best part is, I still want to play more! That's the best thing about Musou games. They're really incredible values (except maybe Hokuto, but eh, I still liked it).

Hoping we get some more people in the thread once the 360 version hits on Tuesday. I love talking about Musou games, but KoeiWarriors isn't really my sort of place.

I concur, Musou style games always give me great value for the money I spend on them.

GAF Musou threads are always fun. I agree with you on the KW stuff. That place gets to be such a cluster of whining and complaining it's so damn annoying. Pretty much the only times I go there is to get the latest news on a game or guide type info.

Xater

I concur, Musou style games always give me great value for the money I spend on them.

GAF Musou threads are always fun. I agree with you on the KW stuff. That place gets to be such a cluster of whining and complaining it's so damn annoying. Pretty much the only times I go there is to get the latest news on a game or guide type info.

Same. Otherwise I can't stand their forum.

12 more for Europe to finally get WO3. The wait is killing me. I am really looking forward to it, because it seems to be a fantastic game. Hope it will beat Gundam 3 as my favorite Musou title.

Golbez

I can't believe I never played Zhou Tai in DW7, he's absolutely amazing. His C2, C3 (EX!), and C6 slaughter everything even without his musou. The best part is that I can have him using his DW5 outfit, the only look I've ever liked on him aside from his 4th design in DW4 (Shredder).

ironcreed

Banned

It's funny you mention that because I was was thinking the same last night. I was finishing up Binary Domain and all I could think about was getting back to WO3 because I have barely scratched the surface of it.

Then I started thinking about the kind of longevity these games have. They have near infinite replay value and are set up for you to spend insane amounts of time with. I know the majority are sick of Musou games, and I have been at times as well, but I always get pulled right back in because of the value and fun they offer.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I can't believe I never played Zhou Tai in DW7, he's absolutely amazing. His C2, C3 (EX!), and C6 slaughter everything even without his musou. The best part is that I can have him using his DW5 outfit, the only look I've ever liked on him aside from his 4th design in DW4 (Shredder).

Heh, yep, I'm using his DW5 design too. Not a big fan of his DW6 or DW7 looks. I do miss the Shredder look though. Wonder if that'll eventually be DLC.

Speaking of DLC, I really hope Koei doesn't pull a Trinity and not bring the DLC to the West.

Mrbob

Unlocked Ryu, the badassery of the game just went up 100 fold! In the mission you unlock him, cpu ryu was cleaving through enemy generals like a mad man! I was thinking save some for me!

The amount of characters you can use is staggering. This is my first Warriors Orochi game I've played. Think I picked a good time to jump in! I'll be playing this one a long time.

Speaking of DLC, I really hope Koei doesn't pull a Trinity and not bring the DLC to the West.

I believe that Insp. Chin did mention on his blog that DLC is coming out. When it'll come out is anyone's guess. They are quite behind on the DLC for DW7/XL still, especially regarding the new weapon packs.

Few more quick questions:

1. What do the lottery tickets do?

2. What s the difference between the two "Big Star" weapons? One seems to be 3 crystals, the other is only 2...

Edit: actually in terms of the Big Star weapons, it looks like the number of crystals they cost are not directly associated to a specific weapon. However, how do you know which one is better if there are multiple types of big star weapons for a specific character?

Chin said in one of his PR blogs that they are bringing the DLC over here but didn't say what or the price.

I doubt we will get the Dengeki Da Ji or Sandaime J Soul Brothers Lu Xun dlc here but I can see the rest coming over. I hope we get the SW1, WOZ and DW4 outfits for free like Japan did. As for the paid stuff, I'm guessing the DLC stage packs will be sold at $1 or $2 a piece, seeing as they are 100 yen (2 stages) and 200 yen (3 stages) per pack.

how do you unlock magoichi? I did the stage that allows him to survive the stage he dies in, but I still can't get up to him before he's killed by the Monkey...

EYEL1NER

Hoping we get some more people in the thread once the 360 version hits on Tuesday.

I'll be a lot more active ITT once my copy gets here from Amazon.
I've just been playing Gundam 3 while waiting. And playing a bit of Gundam 1. I originally played through it on PS3 but I need to run through it on 360. So hard to go back to it though. I keep trying to emergency dash away from bosses and forgetting I can't.

I'm going to play through some WO2 starting tomorrow until 3 gets here.
Can't wait to stay up all night playing it.
43 hours is impressive. When Gundam 2 came out I put in 50 the first week and that was while working 12 hour shifts during an exercise on base. Heh, I got no sleep that week.

My hype levels are through the roof right now. Now that Street Fighter X Tekken is out, I can't think of a single other game in 2012 that I want to play more than this.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Yeah, it's possible for him to sill die on the stage. Just run straight to him and ignore all the enemies.

Yeah, it's possible for him to sill die on the stage. Just run straight to him and ignore all the enemies.

Got it, yeah I guess I just got unlucky a couple times in a row, he died super fast...

Anyway, what are the special relationships for? What do you get from leveling them up?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, so never having played DW7:XL, I'd never used Guo Jia before now, and...well, I'm pretty sure he's the first character to make me exclaim "HOLY SHIT" in a long, long time.

It's seriously like they took Venom from Guilty Gear and put him into a DW game. He's INSANE.

Okay, so never having played DW7:XL, I'd never used Guo Jia before now, and...well, I'm pretty sure he's the first character to make me exclaim "HOLY SHIT" in a long, long time.

It's seriously like they took Venom from Guilty Gear and put him into a DW game. He's INSANE.

This will be my first time playing him and Wang Yi (I played the Mace DLC in 7 so Pang De wasn't new) so I'm hoping I have the same reaction. I'm really looking forward to it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
This will be my first time playing him and Wang Yi (I played the Mace DLC in 7 so Pang De wasn't new) so I'm hoping I have the same reaction. I'm really looking forward to it.

I had Wang Yi on my team as well (third was Gracia, she's pretty good, healing field R1 is broken as shit), and she's not bad. Fairly average character so far, but I don't have her Proficiency up yet so I haven't seen all she has to offer. Like her character design, though.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
meh nothing. In DW... 5? I think. He had the jump charge beams that murdered everything.

I think it was DW3:XL where you could do a tag team musou to give your musou attack electrical element. If you have musou gauge + items, then each time an enemy fell down it generated a ring of electricity that contributed to refilling your musou gauge, pretty much granting you unlimited musou if there were enough enemies around.

Sima Yi's long range musou attack was particularly useful for this strategy.

ironcreed

Banned
Weird, Areus from Trinity is not in the game, yet his sword is available for Ryu. What the hell? Anyway, Ryu with his Demon Dragon sword is a beast. Loving the team of him, Nemea and (one of my DW favorites) Zhou Tai. Just a wrecking crew.

Golbez

Does raising proficiency increase the boosts of a character's special trait? Like if someone has a trait that raises the team's attack power, would a rank S proficiency make it way higher?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Motochika is looking even more ridiculous than in SW2

Haha, you noticed that too, huh? I swear he's looking more and more Gackt-ish with every game he's in.

N6etK.png

I still hate his moveset, too. Though if his joke weapon is an electric guitar (I haven't checked yet), then I'ma be forced to use him.

Also, in spite of how ridiculous some of the Musou characters are, I still think Koei's got some of the best character designers in the business. The fact that they have so many characters and still manage to pump out unique character designs is pretty amazing.

horsebird

Banned
Well, now I know who to unlock next after Wang Yi. He will be rocking that Les Paul right from the start.

Golbez said:
Does raising proficiency increase the boosts of a character's special trait? Like if someone has a trait that raises the team's attack power, would a rank S proficiency make it way higher?
What are these special traits? I noticed every character has a trait like [Dexterity] or [Restoration], but I never knew what activated them.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Well, now I know who to unlock next after Wang Yi. He will be rocking that Les Paul right from the start.

What are these special traits? I noticed every character has a trait like [Dexterity] or [Restoration], but I never knew what activated them.

They're always activated.

horsebird

Banned
They're always activated.
So they're passive abilities/bonuses, gotcha. Does that mean my squad of 3 will always have 3 passives going on at any given moment, or is it limited to the character currently being used? Is there a list somewhere of all the possible abilities and what they do? I tried looking up guides on Gamefaqs earlier today, but they didn't have anything. I would've thought they'd have something for the Japanese version of the game, but not even!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So they're passive abilities/bonuses, gotcha. Does that mean my squad of 3 will always have 3 passives going on at any given moment, or is it limited to the character currently being used? Is there a list somewhere of all the possible abilities and what they do? I tried looking up guides on Gamefaqs earlier today, but they didn't have anything. I would've thought they'd have something for the Japanese version of the game, but not even!

There are some that affect the whole team, and some that only affect the active character. There's a list out there somewhere, but I can't remember where I found it. If I'm able to find it again, I'll post it here.

Kincaido

Just unlocked Gracia. Her and Aya are awesome. I only played the first Samurai Warriors so it felt really nice playing with characters new to me. Damn you Koei for only bringing the original version of 3 over here on the Wii. Importing 3Z when I get a chance.

Edit: Also, anyone know how to unlock the Nanzhong stage with Wei Yan, Meng Huo, and Zhurong? Got all their bonds with each other to level 3 and switched characters. Got nothing. Does it need to be maxed or does a certain character have to talk to them?

Just unlocked Gracia. Her and Aya are awesome. I only played the first Samurai Warriors so it felt really nice playing with characters new to me. Damn you Koei for only bringing the original version of 3 over here on the Wii. Importing 3Z when I get a chance.

Just a word of warning: 3Z is cool and all but the SW cast is waaaay better in this than there because of this game's speed. The combat is much slower in 3, so you may feel like your fighting underwater or something if you take a character you liked in this and go to use them in that.

horsebird

Banned

Edit: Also, anyone know how to unlock the Nanzhong stage with Wei Yan, Meng Huo, and Zhurong? Got all their bonds with each other to level 3 and switched characters. Got nothing. Does it need to be maxed or does a certain character have to talk to them?
You need to talk to someone. At that point I was using Zhou Tai, Nemea, and one of either Kiyomasa Kato/Deng Ai/Hanbei Kuroba. I have the mission, but not the bonds!

There are some that affect the whole team, and some that only affect the active character. There's a list out there somewhere, but I can't remember where I found it. If I'm able to find it again, I'll post it here.
Much appreciated. If I happen to stumble upon it, I'll do the same.

Kincaido

Just a word of warning: 3Z is cool and all but the SW cast is waaaay better in this than there because of this game's speed. The combat is much slower in 3, so you may feel like your fighting underwater or something if you take a character you liked in this and go to use them in that.

Ahhh, that's a shame. Just looked at videos some more and it definitely looks slower. Didn't seem that bad when I watched them some time ago. Although, that was before I even played or watch any videos of this one. Guess I should hold off on it until I find a better price. Thanks for the warning.

Edit: Forget my last question in my previous post. Well, I raised the bond with Wei Yan instead of Zhang He. That was dumb of me. I think I need to put this game down for the day or take a break.

When I was ordering WO3 on Amazon I noticed that WO2 for 360 is pretty expensive ($40 even for used). Is that game that rare or are people just attempting to gouge?

Marvie_3

Banned
When I was ordering WO3 on Amazon I noticed that WO2 for 360 is pretty expensive ($40 even for used). Is that game that rare or are people just attempting to gouge?

Probably a little of both. It's been awhile since I've seen a copy of either of the first two WO games out in the wild.

Top Bottom