• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs PC Performance Thread

Damian.

Banned
Are you guys using vsync? I'm having a hard time deciding between input-lag and screen tearing in this. :(

If your eyes are bad enough where a bit of tearing doesn't bother you then I truly envy you. :( My eyesight is too good and tearing looks like hot shit to me.

lmbotiva

35 locked pretty hard, with nvidia inspector.

Sometimes when driving fast near area like CTOS buildings (it loads people walking around inside or something I think) it will drop to 27-28. But this is only like 0.01% of the time. Driving around fast is mostly fantastic.

More frequently it may drop about 4 or 5 frames if there is a lot of physics stuff and the odd short freeze when driving. Watch the longer youtube video, lots of driving.
i locked mine to 30 with MSI afterburner OSD, it took me some time to get used to it at first because for some reason PC 30 to ME looks worse than console 30, but i finally adjusted to it and im having a blast, i get the weird drop to 25-28 when saving but thats it, everything on ultra, motion blur and DOF off because i hate them, game is pretty fun tho, specially driving bikes

i locked mine to 30 with MSI afterburner OSD, it took me some time to get used to it at first because for some reason PC 30 to ME looks worse than console 30, but i finally adjusted to it and im having a blast, i get the weird drop to 25-28 when saving but thats it, everything on ultra, motion blur and DOF off because i hate them, game is pretty fun tho, specially driving bikes

I found that locking it to 30 with Afterburner or by any other means produced a weird 30fps that didn't feel as smooth as console 30fps. I can only assume that it was an issue of frame timing.

I got it to feel better by using the in-game 2-frame vsync and, every time I load it, waiting to get in-game and then switching briefly to borderless fullscreen and then back to fullscreen (otherwise it locks to 20fps instead of 30).

That method feels like console 30fps to me. (I actually lock it to 35fps with my monitor at 70hz, but it works for 30fps/60hz just fine.)

lmbotiva

I found that locking it to 30 with Afterburner or by any other means produced a weird 30fps that didn't feel as smooth as console 30fps. I can only assume that it was an issue of frame timing.

I got it to feel better by using the in-game 2-frame vsync and, every time I load it, waiting to get in-game and then switching briefly to borderless fullscreen and then back to fullscreen (otherwise it locks to 20fps instead of 30).

That method feels like console 30fps to me. (I actually lock it to 35fps with my monitor at 70hz, but it works for 30fps/60hz just fine.)
that to a point worked for me but every time i changed setting in game for some reason the aspect ratio changed and the only way to get it back to normal was the restart the game, im ok with the frame rate now, i just cant play anything else 60fps until i finish this or it ll be hell to adjust again

Damian.

Banned
I was able to get a PS4-esque 30fps by using the 1/2 refresh rate V-Sync using Nvidia Inspector (Not adaptive). It's a blurry 30fps, but not a jarring/juddering 30 that most PC games suffer from.

Buburibon

I was able to get a PS4-esque 30fps by using the 1/2 refresh rate V-Sync using Nvidia Inspector (Not adaptive). It's a blurry 30fps, but not a jarring/juddering 30 that most PC games suffer from.

This. 1/2 refresh Vsync via Nvidia Inspector combined with "max buffered frames" set to 1 for acceptable input lag when using a gamepad. It feels as smooth, if not smoother than "30fps on consoles", and it has worked well with 99% of the games I've tested so far. Sometimes limiting the frame rate to 30fps (also through Nvidia Inspector) in addition to the 1/2 refresh Vsync can further improve the experience. The only exceptions I've found to the above are OpenGL titles such as Wolfenstein: The New Order.

Damian.

Banned
can you please explain how to do this?

Download Nvidia Inspector and click the "Wrench/Screwdriver" button next to the Driver Version. Select the Watch Dogs profile and scroll down to Vertical Sync set "1/2 Refresh Rate" option there.

The only downfall to this on my setup is any time I alt-tab out of the game it breaks the sync and I get tearing/No-Vsync until I restart the game.

dawid

Skyzards advice to use borderless and locking fps to 30 was really great. No input-lag or tearing. A smooth experience apart from the asset loading-stutters that the patch seem to not have fixed.

Cdgilbert

Having just bought sleeping dogs in the steam sale, I cannot believe how much better graphically and performance wise this game is than Watch Dogs.

d00d3n

Anyone else having issues with bad lip synching when restricting the game to 30 fps with the 1/2 vsync nvidia inspector setting? Locking on a lower fps does wonders for the experienced performance, but the bad lip synch makes it kind of a deal breaker in a story heavy game like this ...

Damian.

Banned
I don't really watch lips in videogames, even in sync, the movements are too robotic and fake to me. I focus on the eyes and/or read the subtitles. I use the 1/2 refresh option, so I will pay attention next time and let you know.

Soi-Fong

I just got my 780 Ti Classy today, so I'll chime in on my performance. I have a 2600k though so I'm pretty sure that'll affect my performance somewhat.

d00d3n

I don't really watch lips in videogames, even in sync, the movements are too robotic and fake to me. I focus on the eyes and/or read the subtitles. I use the 1/2 refresh option, so I will pay attention next time and let you know.

Thanks, would be nice.

The Llama

Playing with everything on Ultra using a 4790k at 4.5GHz and a 290 Tri-X, and this game drops down into the 20's when I'm driving and frequently into the 30's when just walking around. I knew it was demanding, but my performance seems a bit worse than I was expecting it to be, tbh. Is this normal? Would changing the Textures to High make things better?

frontieruk

Playing with everything on Ultra using a 4790k at 4.5GHz and a 290 Tri-X, and this game drops down into the 20's when I'm driving and frequently into the 30's when just walking around. I knew it was demanding, but my performance seems a bit worse than I was expecting it to be, tbh. Is this normal? Would changing the Textures to High make things better?

Limiting to 30fps will be your best bet, leaves you at ultra without the frame drops, lowering to high textures with still get drops leaving the frame rate unlimited

Damian.

Banned
Anyone else having issues with bad lip synching when restricting the game to 30 fps with the 1/2 vsync nvidia inspector setting? Locking on a lower fps does wonders for the experienced performance, but the bad lip synch makes it kind of a deal breaker in a story heavy game like this ...

I think it is just slightly off while using 1/2 refresh rate. It wasn't really bad, but noticeable. Another thing I notice is moving the map is very jerky using this setting. Wonder if anything else is off?

The Llama

Limiting to 30fps will be your best bet, leaves you at ultra without the frame drops, lowering to high textures with still get drops leaving the frame rate unlimited

Turns out I forgot to update to the 14.6 beta drivers. Woops. Using them and have it locked at 30 and it works great.

Dries

So it seems like that one and only Ubisoft patch is the one and only (official) patch we'll ever see. Shame. Money thrown away, but I've learned my lesson when it comes to Ubisoft games.

Eyothrie

Haven't been keeping up since launch... so the stuttering issue at the high texture setting (2gb vram needed) hasn't been fixed?

riflen

So it seems like that one and only Ubisoft patch is the one and only (official) patch we'll ever see. Shame. Money thrown away, but I've learned my lesson when it comes to Ubisoft games.

Unless I've just missed it, the worst thing is the lack of communication. You need to let your customers know that there's at least something going on. I understand that technical issues can take time to get sorted, but at this point there's no way that the problem hasn't been reproduced in their test labs. So, we're forced to conclude that either they're not looking at the problem, or they're nowhere near a solution. Both scenarios are very disheartening.

thabiz

No communication about a new patch, SLI is STILL not supported (how big of a joke is that for a AAA PC title, honestly? It's PATHETIC) and non of the issues with stuttering have been fixed whatsoever, even game breaking bugs still remain.

I have literally played 2 missions since this game launched and have not been able to progress due to the piss poor performance and from where I am sitting it doesn't look like it will be fixed at all.

Like I said before, will be the last UBI game I purchase unless some drastic changes happen at the company.

What's worse is neither Steam nor Ubi will issue a refund, so I am stuck with this POS game that refuses to work as they advertise.

agreed.

ubi has seen my last dime.

Buburibon

Unless I've just missed it, the worst thing is the lack of communication. You need to let your customers know that there's at least something going on. I understand that technical issues can take time to get sorted, but at this point there's no way that the problem hasn't been reproduced in their test labs. So, we're forced to conclude that either they're not looking at the problem, or they're nowhere near a solution. Both scenarios are very disheartening.

I don't think they can fix it without having to go back to the drawing board and rewriting huge chunks of their engine. And to paraphrase my comment on the last page, if you look closely at the PS4 preview from September last year linked below, you'll see that it stutters about as much as the final version of the game. It's a 30fps YouTube video, but you can still spot the hitches as he's driving around between 6:40-8:00. I've personally counted about 12 hiccups within those 80 seconds, or one every 7 seconds or so, which pretty much mirrors my experience with WD since launch.

http://youtu.be/8z3iG2QlJXk?t=6m40s

As I mentioned before, (I strongly believe) Ubi has always known about the stutter, so it's not like they can't reproduce it. ;-)

might just be my setup (3570k OC to 4.2ghz, 16gb ram, 780 classy), but i've been having a pretty decent experience post patch with textures on high. some minor drops in framerate while driving but not enough to be an issue gameplay wise.

i guess i'd be more pissed but I barely can tell the difference between high and ultra for textures.

molnizzle

Why not just use the "Vsync = 2" option in game? Does the same thing and performs much better.

d00d3n

Why not just use the "Vsync = 2" option in game? Does the same thing and performs much better.

Thanks, the lip synching seemed to improve by doing this.

In other new, I finally managed to remove the stutter from the game. The solution makes me really furious on one level, but I guess that it is nice to be able to play the game. What I did was to disable sli in the nvidia control panel. Running in 1080p, vsync=2, gpumaxframes=1 and ultra settings except textures on high, the game went from totally unplayable because of stutter to stutter free when I disabled sli. Anti-aliasing settings didn't seem to matter much: the game was still unplayable because of stutter with the lowest aa settings running sli, and the game was stutter free with 4xTXAA not running sli.

specs: i5 3570k, 8 gigs ram, geforce 780 sli, ssd

lmbotiva

No communication about a new patch, SLI is STILL not supported (how big of a joke is that for a AAA PC title, honestly? It's PATHETIC) and non of the issues with stuttering have been fixed whatsoever, even game breaking bugs still remain.

I have literally played 2 missions since this game launched and have not been able to progress due to the piss poor performance and from where I am sitting it doesn't look like it will be fixed at all.

Like I said before, will be the last UBI game I purchase unless some drastic changes happen at the company.

What's worse is neither Steam nor Ubi will issue a refund, so I am stuck with this POS game that refuses to work as they advertise.
what i did was setting the frame rate to 30 via nvidia inspector and forget about more patches, after you adjust to the frame rate the game is quite fun

d00d3n

Ubisoft just patched Watch Dogs. SLI is still unplayable (same old stuttering), but I guess the patch might have done some good for single card users ...

d00d3n

Actually, the game seems to be playable with ultra textures now! Just disable your other graphics card if you run SLI. Running with everything maxed, textures ultra, vsync=1, maxgpubufferedframes=1, 1080p, 4xTXAA. Seems to run smoothly ...

Lol, so they finally patched it to be playable now? So sad it takes them that long to fix issues on pc. I'm never gonna even bother to reinstall this game now to try it. Lost complete interest, seemed like a mediocre game anyways.

The game definitely stutters less now (not stutter free by a long shot) but now it just runs worse a lot of the time instead. What was a solid 30 fps with frequent stuttering is now 23-30 fps with occasional stuttering.

I Guess I'll keep waiting till it gets fixed properly, if that ever happens.

Goddamn do I regret getting sucked into the hype and paying $75 AUD for this mess of a game :(

Just snagged this for $16 bucks. Heard it was a typical Ubisoft PC mess at launch so I decided to wait. I'm gathering that there was recently an update the broke Worse mod? Is there any hope the mod will get fixed or has the PC crowd moved on already? Here's hoping I guess...

SOYZUKI

Banned
Really wanted to post earlier but only just had my account activated here.

Strangely enough I found I got better performance when I reinstalled the game onto my games storage drive from my SSD system drive. Of course closing down all other apps helps too. It seems to run better now after however many patches, but still stutters on occasion. I also get the same performance from low to ultra (50-60fps) so obviously I leave it on ultra. I should be thankful since it's the only Ubi game that runs on my PC besides The Crew beta. Maybe I'll buy that season pass now...

Yep. Well the new Ubi patch is active on my game. Stuttering has been reduced*!

*Now instead of stuttering, the entire game is just choppier. Great. It's okay with textures at high and everything else maxed with 2x MSAA. I'm on a 780ti, 4.4 ghz 4670k. Still way choppier than any game should be. I've been playing a ton of FarCry 3 lately and it shocks me that these games are coming from the same company.

Kezen

Banned
Game runs really well on my PC (4770K/GTX770/8gb of RAM).
45-60fps with everything maxed except textures (high) and TSMAA.

Not the greatest PC work Ubisoft have ever produced but not the worst I can think of either.

I'd still not recommend this to someone having a PS4, it's a safer option.

M_A_C

Game runs really well on my PC (4770K/GTX770/8gb of RAM).
45-60fps with everything maxed except textures (high) and TSMAA.

Not the greatest PC work Ubisoft have ever produced but not the worst I can think of either.

I'd still not recommend this to someone having a PS4, it's a safer option.

Yeah, I just got the PS4 version for $30 at Sam's and it looks just as good and runs very smooth. I should just learn never to buy Ubi games on PC.

Kezen

Banned
Yeah, I just got the PS4 version for $30 at Sam's and it looks just as good and runs very smooth. I should just learn never to buy Ubi games on PC.

That's the issues with Ubisoft's PC works : they are inconsistent and demand more than they should.

Enjoying the game though, and it looks damn fine at near max settings.

Top Bottom