• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs reviews

Eknots

ignbelievethehype.webm

Not expecting much from this game, for how long it's been hyped up I can't wait for the eventual disappointment

What's the point of a depth of field option on the interior of a car? Streams and imgur don't degrade quality to the point where things look that blurry anyways. I even asked the streamer and he said that the interior is that blurry.
It's a neat 'cinematic' effect just like any other DOF in games, making it look like your character is focusing on the view outside, but really it's there to disguise any low-detail textures or geometry that you often get with games like this (no point in wasting resources on a view that many people will never use). The same has been done for the upcoming GRID: Autosport, which has low-detail interiors (as it is based on the same tech powering GRID 2, which had no interior view).

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
The 2012 trailer was blatant false advertising. Don't show the product in a stage early in development and give us less at release.

false advertising? you think they expect the average person to buy a 2014 game based on a 2012 alpha trailer alone? a trailer that was shown before console hardware was even finalized? really?

if the commercials they show on tv are real in game footage then they're being as honest as they need to be.

double woosh?

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Graphically does it looks as good as Infamous?

Not in a million years.

Watch Dogs on PS4 looks worse than GTAV on PS3. It's not even close.

There are some isolated elements in the game that look better than some isolated elements in GTAV (sharper textures, more polys, etc), but overall, GTAV shits all over it...and it's a last-gen game.

Forget about the bullshots people are posting. The bottom line is that when you're playing Watch Dogs on your bigass HDTV, people passing by will think you're playing on a last-gen console. It's terrible and Ubisoft should feel ashamed.

That's without taking into account elements like the story, glitches, multiplayer modes, etc. I'm speaking only about the quality of the sandbox world.

I was pretty hyped for it when it was announced. And after years, part by part my hype fell to none by each "unimpressive", "bland" trailer. After i seen some leaked gameplay videos, i got hyped. I got it early as shops in my country don't give a fuck about release dates and started playing it. I am not going to make a review or write much of a stuff but i expect the game to have 85 around metacritic. Yes story seems to be bland, characters seems to be typical Ubi Montreal type which you never give a fuck about. But the gameplay is either uniqie or well done in most mechanics related to gameplay. Driving is much better than most of the open world stuff there. Gunplay is solid except the part where you cannot fully disable aim assist (minimal/medium/ and which i presume a hard lock) parkour is pretty decent. So far i liked the game very much.

AustinFelix

Unconfirmed Member
Not in a million years.

There are some isolated elements in the game that look better than some isolated elements in GTAV (sharper textures, more polys, etc), but overall, GTAV shits all over it...and it's a last-gen game.

Forget about the bullshots people are posting. The bottom line is that when you're playing Watch Dogs on your bigass HDRV, people passing by will think you're playing on a last-gen console. It's terrible and Ubisoft should feel ashamed.

That's without taking into account elements like the story, glitches, multiplayer modes, etc. I'm speaking only about the quality of the sandbox world.

Have to agree with this, I remember times in GTA that blew me away like the mountains and landscapes, vistas. Not so much in watch dogs, obviously because of the location. Playing it on ps4, didn't make me think 'wow' it runs nice and smooth though but I can't understand why it's not running at 1080p. It wouldn't surprise me if GTA V comes out on PS4 and blows all over it without so much as a HD upgrade.

Gvaz

Banned
It has a "lackluster scenario," but is still a must-have? I dunno about that...

It's an open world game...

also it's easy to say JUST PLAY GTA 5!

I dont play gta on consoles, or any open world game unless there's no alternative because 9/10 the graphics are fucking awful on consoles for open world games.

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
I hate to go madly off topic - but does anyone have the original video for this - it had me howling! Would make my day! /slightexaggeration

jgGB18m.gif

HowZatOZ

Banned
ignbelievethehype.webm

Not expecting much from this game, for how long it's been hyped up I can't wait for the eventual disappointment

Seems to be the exact opposite for those who have it in the OT, but hey truck along with those kind of misconceptions.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Not in a million years.

Forget about the bullshots people are posting. The bottom line is that when you're playing Watch Dogs on your bigass HDTV, people passing by will think you're playing on a last-gen console. It's terrible and Ubisoft should feel ashamed.

Haha what. No. Watch Dogs does not look worse than GTA V PS3 at all on the PS4. You are pushing that delusion far too hard if you honestly think that Watch Dogs PS4 is being beaten by GTA V graphically on PS3. I will admit the lighting is pretty crap during midday, but any other TOD and it easily beats GTA V both in graphics and atmosphere.

Just take a look at the OT, you'll find numerous webM's of the PS4 version with far more detail in the world compared to GTA V. There is far more pedestrians and cars roaming around as well. You are drinking that kool aid far too much, because this is just pure hyperbole.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Good to see Gameblog reviewed two different generations of the game, let's hope other sites follow suit.

The inside of the car in cockpit view has depth of field applied to it. It looks really nice. That's a horrible picture of it.

Why would that ever look really nice? Your eyes don't have anywhere near that shallow depth of field. It is completely excessive use of the effect and I don't like it.

I'm probably in the minority, but I was never impressed with GTAV. The performance and clunky mechanics really turned me off. This looks a lot more interesting and seems to run pretty well on consoles. I still hate the silly "hacking" cell phone, though haha

Um I refuse to "accept what you get". The 2012 trailer was blatant false advertising. Don't show the product in a stage early in development and give us less at release.

Maybe they were expecting the Next-Gen consoles to be more powerful. I remember watching a video about how neither Sony nor Microsoft were happy when they showed that game.

Well that's my piece. I think it's not difficult to understand: Watch Dogs footage pre-embargo lift looks pretty bad to alot of people (myself included). Maybe that footage sells the game short and it's actually good, let's wait and see.
I think it's pretty hilarious the collective meltdown everyone is having over the fact that a super hyped game may turn out to be a turd. It's happened before.

You are projecting.

Dolobill

Been playing since Saturday morning. I think the graphics are pretty good, not amazing. The game itself seriously lacks thrills though. Most of the side quests really feel like chores. Everything is so dull, including the characters, which makes me not care about the story at all. I'll probably be playing the game for a while, since I'm out of other things to play and you can definitely chip away at this game for a long time. I do find myself trying to clear the map, but I'm a bit of a completionist. Compared to the other current gen open world games I finished (AC4 and Infamous), Watch Dogs is by far the worst.

I would take these early reviews with a grain of salt. I've never even heard of these sites before. Wait until some more reputable sites start posting reviews and we'll see the average scores come down.

krioto

ok, you hype merchants. I was going to wait but I'm going down to the local at 9.00am to pick it up. thanks a lot

AustinFelix

Unconfirmed Member
Been playing since Saturday morning. I think the graphics are pretty good, not amazing. The game itself seriously lacks thrills though. Most of the side quests really feel like chores. Everything is so dull, including the characters, which makes me not care about the story at all. I'll probably be playing the game for a while, since I'm out of other things to play and you can definitely chip away at this game for a long time. I do find myself trying to clear the map, but I'm a bit of a completionist. Compared to the other current gen open world games I finished (AC4 and Infamous), Watch Dogs is by far the worst.

I would take these early reviews with a grain of salt. I've never even heard of these sites before. Wait until some more reputable sites start posting reviews and we'll see the average scores come down.

Interesting, I feel the complete opposite.

Mind you, my hype meter dropped on the first delay. Wasn't hyped for it at all.

Krisprolls

Banned
Graphically does it looks as good as Infamous?

Infamous looks a lot better. That's not even close.

Watch Dogs looks a bit better than GTA V though, but artistically I can see why some people would prefer GTA V over this game although it's last gen. The lighting in GTA V is pretty good, a lot better than Watch Dogs lighting, especially at day time. GTA V looks constantly good, Watch Dogs is uneven.

I suspect GTA V next gen / PC will destroy this game graphically, Rockstar is a lot better than Ubi as a dev, and this was Ubi's first game in a modern city.

Seanspeed

Banned
What's the point of a depth of field option on the interior of a car? Streams and imgur don't degrade quality to the point where things look that blurry anyways. I even asked the streamer and he said that the interior is that blurry.
No doubt its blurry. Its just hard to tell exactly the extent when the picture is degraded.

And DoF works on an interior of a car because when you drive, you are [hopefully] looking out the window and focusing on where you're going, not the interior of the car. In this case, the outside also looks blurred, so it could just be bad timing or also a bad DoF implementation. Hard to tell.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Haha what. No. Watch Dogs does not look worse than GTA V PS3 at all on the PS4. You are pushing that delusion far too hard if you honestly think that Watch Dogs PS4 is being beaten by GTA V graphically on PS3. I will admit the lighting is pretty crap during midday, but any other TOD and it easily beats GTA V both in graphics and atmosphere.

Just take a look at the OT, you'll find numerous webM's of the PS4 version with far more detail in the world compared to GTA V. There is far more pedestrians and cars roaming around as well. You are drinking that kool aid far too much, because this is just pure hyperbole.

Haha. Yes. It does look worse. It looks terrible. I hate the way it looks and I will not buy it. I fully expect many of those who buy it to start crying salty tears because the game looks like ass.

You know how I know?

1- I have eyes.
2- I wanted to like the game.
3- I have no hidden agenda. I don't care if it sells or doesn't (unlike, say, Ubisoft)
4- I am too old and have too many game systems to care if any one game is a dud (unlike some people who get all excited about the latest AAA game)
5- I don't pre-order games (well, except Mario Kart 8 because I get a free game for doing it and because Nintendo deserves my trust when it comes to their core franchises)

Now, I hope everybody who bought the game enjoys it and I am definitely not saying the game is terrible (I'm saying it's mediocre), but if I had bought it myself, I would be jumping out a window while cursing Ubisoft.

I'm heading out right now to pre order. OT impressions won me over as did some game play vids.

Yup, I just preordered too and for the same reasons, plus I get to roam around my hometown of Chicago, which is something I've missed doing in the two years since I've moved away.

Look forward to invading your game, Bams!

Reviews seem good so far, I'll probably be picking this one up. And the graphics director just favourited a tweet of mine that I mostly made in jest regarding the graphics controversy. Not sure if he gets my joking tone or just super passive-aggressive.

ibsC0VcdQ9VOng.png

AustinFelix

Unconfirmed Member
Haha. Yes. It does look worse. It looks terrible. I hate the way it looks and I will not buy it. I will wait for those who do to start crying salty tears because the game looks like ass.

You know how I know?

1- I have eyes.
3- I have no hidden agenda. I don't care if it sells or doesn't (unlike, say, Ubisoft)
4- I am too old and have too many game systems to care if any one game is a dud (unlike some people who get all excited about the latest AAA game)
5- I don't pre-order games (well, except Mario Kart 8 because I get a free game for doing it and because Nintendo deserves my trust when it comes to their core franchises)

Now, I hope everybody who bought the game enjoys it and I am definitely not saying the game is terrible (I'm saying it's mediocre), but if I had bought it myself, I would be jumping out a window while cursing Ubisoft.

Era it doesn't look like ass like, and it in no way effects the experience.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Who the fucking hell is Flickering Myth?
It's gotta be one of you guys, it even sounds like one of those posts from somebody who hasn't played it and goes on about the reveal trailer.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

I cannot stand when a game can sit for 6 months and it becomes a Ghost town of enjoyment. I think it'll be okay, but not at full price. I'm not buying the hype just yet.
Right now every hipster owns a copy. It happens all the time.

Dolobill

Haha. Yes. It does look worse. It looks terrible. I hate the way it looks and I will not buy it. I fully expect many of those who buy it to start crying salty tears because the game looks like ass.

You know how I know?

1- I have eyes.

While I think suggesting Watch Dogs looks worse than GTA V on a technical level is a bit of a reach, I would agree that the world does have less charm to it. Fewer small details and events. Being there feels less appealing than being in GTA V's world.

You know how I know?

1- I have eyes.

I think this is one of those times where the less said the better. This kind of feels like that one scene from Starwars (something, something, hate).

Once again we are:
-Back to nothing but graphics talk, and giving the gameplay a passing mention
-Still bringing up the graphics of the 2012 proof of concept which the final product clearly doesn't match.
-Still claiming that WD no only looks bad, but is actually worse than the eye searing jagfest that is GTAV.

Incredible, truly incredible.

AustinFelix

Unconfirmed Member
Once again we are:
-Back to nothing but graphics talk, and giving the gameplay a passing mention
-Still bringing up the graphics of the 2012 proof of concept which the final product clearly doesn't match.
-Still claiming that WD no only looks bad, but is actually worse than the eye searing jagfest that is GTAV.

Incredible, truly incredible.

This. Unbelievable.

Top Bottom