• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs reviews

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Haha. Yes. It does look worse. It looks terrible. I hate the way it looks and I will not buy it. I fully expect many of those who buy it to start crying salty tears because the game looks like ass.

You know how I know?

1- I have eyes.
2- I wanted to like the game.
3- I have no hidden agenda. I don't care if it sells or doesn't (unlike, say, Ubisoft)
4- I am too old and have too many game systems to care if any one game is a dud (unlike some people who get all excited about the latest AAA game)
5- I don't pre-order games (well, except Mario Kart 8 because I get a free game for doing it and because Nintendo deserves my trust when it comes to their core franchises)
Right, so ya too old to get excited for a AAA game yet it obviously not immature to make a big fuss and bother everyone else about a game that didn't match your expectations set by a heavily compressed reveal trailer which is a blurrier version of of what we got and you only pre-order Mario Kart 8, gotcha ;-)

Now, I hope everybody who bought the game enjoys it and I am definitely not saying the game is terrible (I'm saying it's mediocre), but if I had bought it myself, I would be jumping out a window while cursing Ubisoft.
Wait.....what?

It is now 9am on the 27th. STILL NO REVIEWS???? What kind of embargo is this Ubi?? You got something to hide??

Consistently happens in Australia/New Zealand and even sometimes in Europe. Most Release Day embargoes literally mean release midnight in the US at pacific time. Few games do make exceptions and release a little earlier to account for a world wide release but most of the time it is midnight pacific time.

I'm hopefully optimistic about this game. This is the first time I've followed neogaf threads up to a release and I have to ask: Is it always this bad?

I've never seen this sort of dislike for a game before. It looks like solid game overall with graphics which are on average better than GTAV (which seems to be what most people compare it to for some reason). The rain screenshots for instance I think look very nice.

I guess some people must have some very high standards.

UberTag

I guess some people must have some very high standards.
High standards when it comes to graphics? I agree with you completely.
High standards when it comes to the rest of the game? Hardly. If anything people haven't been nearly critical enough.

Gaz_RB

Pre-ordered this digitally for the PS4, it is now 00:15 GMT and it seems I am unable to download it...

Seems others are having the same problem http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PS4-Support/Can-t-start-Watch-Dogs-Digital-Pre-Order/td-p/21456393

Doesn't it unlock at 12 am eastern?

High standards when it comes to the rest of the game? Hardly. If anything people haven't been nearly critical enough.

What parts of the rest of the game should we be more critical of?

HowZatOZ

Banned
I think we need that Watch Doge's help line image again, seems like we are once again in for another rollercoaster of "graphics are shit, game looks like SNES, what is this shit 2/10".

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Man I can't remember a game being so flippy floppy like this whether it's the graphics or the backlash against the game as a whole...nor do I remember so many people being banned playing pirated copies before launch and stupidly posting pictures.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I don't understand why people can't accept that some people feel lied to about the game? This is a very similar bait and switch at least graphically that Aliens Colonial Marines pulled.
it's nothing like that, Aliens Colonial Marines received tons of gameplay downgrades, not just graphical. They blatantly lied about some things like talking from first person. Where did Ubisoft lie about Watch Dogs gameplay?

Eusis

LOL true USA is the 'centre of the world' when it comes to game reviews
Which is actually sorta weird in this case given that Ubisoft IS French.

Though embargo'd based on Pacific Time? Those assholes really are holding releases to past release, even if only by a few hours.

UberTag

What parts of the rest of the game should we be more critical of?
Based on the game footage that's out there from streams and leaks, the AI, the characterizations (incidental dialogue, Aiden himself - everyone either sounds bored, talks like an asshat or both - unlikable characters aplenty) and "hacking" consisting largely of derivative cell phone-style mini-games are the obvious criticisms. It also seems to be very AC1-like in its multitude of things to do - many of which are redundant and not especially fun.

I think the graphics are fine, the writing is solid and the stealth gameplay is better than most open world games deliver (subpar AI notwithstanding).

Zabuza

Banned
I bet you're a blast at parties. Give it a break.
Stupid post. He/She's entitled to as negative an opinion he wants without having to be told he's "a blast at parties." Either disagree with his opinion in an intelligent manner or don't reply at all.

I kinda want this game, but I'm not sure. I'm gonna hold out until we get the reviews and if people like it then I'll pick it up at Target first thing in the AM to get the 50% off PS+ deal. I'm looking for a game to play on my PS4 to hold me over until Mario Kart comes out.

Xav

dafuq is going on in this thread

bZAw5uM.jpg

Just went along to the (advertised) midnight opening for Watch Dogs in Surrey Quays (SE London). Store wasn't open, around 15-20 of us outside waiting. Not happy about that.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Is this on par with Infamous on console or pc?

Played it for about an hour on PS4. It's not even close to Infamous in terms of graphics on consoles. To be honest, aesthetically I think even GTAV beats it. The game obviously has a much higher resolution, but it just feels so blah.

Gotcha, didn't realize it was up already in other countries. Hope Europe gets it soon.

Just want to correct my previous post and state that I appear to have been mistaken. Australia hasn't got it either through PSN, although it can be purchased at retail there and in Europe. Really sloppy and poorly communicated on Sony's part.

Gaz_RB

Based on the game footage that's out there from streams and leaks, the AI, the characterizations (incidental dialogue, Aiden himself - everyone either sounds bored, talks like an asshat or both - unlikable characters aplenty) and "hacking" consisting largely of derivative cell phone-style mini-games are the obvious criticisms. It also seems to be very AC1-like in its multitude of things to do - many of which are redundant and not especially fun.

I think the graphics are fine, the writing is solid and the stealth gameplay is better than most open world games deliver (subpar AI notwithstanding).

I can agree with some of the things you said. The hacking is pretty simple at it's core, and not really as important to the game as I would have hoped. I disagree with the AC1 comparison though. Every sidequest I've done has been a blast. Nothing has gotten tedious for me yet.

Just want to correct my previous post and state that I appear to have been mistaken. Australia hasn't got it either through PSN, although it can be purchased at retail there and in Europe. Really sloppy and poorly communicated on Sony's part.

Sounds pretty typical for Sony's PSN releases. There's usually like zero communication.

jaaz

Stupid post. He/She's entitled to as negative an opinion he wants without having to be told he's "a blast at parties." Either disagree with his opinion in an intelligent manner or don't reply at all.

So much irony. He's entitled to an opinion--you know what they say--but he's being a jerk to anyone who disagrees with HIM-- did you miss the "Feel free to disagree and think it's the best thing since sliced bread" and other nuggets in the last two pages? I tell him to give it a break and you're schooling me like a wannabe Mod on when to reply or not to reply?

You go sit next to him at that party, I'm sure you'll both have a great time being a jerk to anyone who has the galls to be looking forward to WD.

What store was it for? Game? Or an independent launch gig?

Game, one of the ones listed on their website. People were not happy. I'm usually more forgiving (8 years in retail will do that to you!) but they managed to get me very angry about it. Mostly i'm annoyed i'm not sitting here playing the game right now!

Haha. Yes. It does look worse. It looks terrible. I hate the way it looks and I will not buy it. I fully expect many of those who buy it to start crying salty tears because the game looks like ass.

You know how I know?

1- I have eyes.
2- I wanted to like the game.
3- I have no hidden agenda. I don't care if it sells or doesn't (unlike, say, Ubisoft)
4- I am too old and have too many game systems to care if any one game is a dud (unlike some people who get all excited about the latest AAA game)
5- I don't pre-order games (well, except Mario Kart 8 because I get a free game for doing it and because Nintendo deserves my trust when it comes to their core franchises)

Now, I hope everybody who bought the game enjoys it and I am definitely not saying the game is terrible (I'm saying it's mediocre), but if I had bought it myself, I would be jumping out a window while cursing Ubisoft.

This is such an embarrassing post.

cackhyena

Once again we are:
-Back to nothing but graphics talk, and giving the gameplay a passing mention
-Still bringing up the graphics of the 2012 proof of concept which the final product clearly doesn't match.
-Still claiming that WD no only looks bad, but is actually worse than the eye searing jagfest that is GTAV.

Incredible, truly incredible.
What's incredible is you calling GTA V eye searing.

Kuni

Looks like the reviews will come in at 12:01 PDT if this is anything to go by:

HBOKTpM.png

He's one of the Gamespot guys.

edit: eee by gum that image was a bit too big :p

Top Bottom