• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs reviews

I wake up this morning to an 82 metacritic and this thread is now about Vanquish. Amazing.

Not all Vanquish fans need external validation or ignore the game's faults. You're still ok in my book, Jim.

Andrew.

Banned
Walks into thread.

Sees obvious shitstorm

msKqb7K.gif

The game is quite good.

Raven77

I can't read any of these at work. Do any of them talk about how the multiplayer works? My main question is, if my friends are playing, can I specifically choose to invade their game world or is it completely random?

I'm just wondering if you can have any interaction with people on your friends list if you're playing at the same time.

hwy_61

Banned
Could someone give me cliff's notes version of what exactly it is that people are mostly disliking about this game?

Driving sucks
Side missions suck
Story sucks
Aidan sucks
Chicago sucks

actually the driving sucking a fat one seems to be a real thing people are not happy about.

Mrcapcom

Torn over this.

Especially since MK8 is out Friday.

I could easily save myself $60 if I skip this now.

LOL yo this is the same problem I'm having plus im still playing transistor and warframe i might just skip not sure just yet. Would be a no brainer if I didnt have my WD already paid for.

esterk

I'm not seeing what everybody is making such a big deal about. It may not look the same, but it certainly doesn't look BAD.. It still looks damn good to me.
More or less the point is that it isn't as good as what they showed, which is a recurring problem with Ubi.

stevil

More or less the point is that it isn't as good as what they showed, which is a recurring problem with Ubi.

And people are disappointed every time it happens, hopefully they don't watch a lot of commercial they would be in a permanent state of disappointiness

its kind of laughable that people are making this big a fuss over this. Its still pretty damn similar, while the lighting may be a little different for the most part it still looks pretty good. People should relax. I don't see anybody here producing anything better.

bob page

Could someone give me cliff's notes version of what exactly it is that people are mostly disliking about this game?

From what I've played:

Bad AI
Bad driving
Bad physics
Meh story
Meh graphics

It's not as bad as I was expecting after the past few weeks and it's definitely worth trying but I don't really think it's deserving of a 8+ average either. It kind of just seems like an empty shell of a game a lot of the time.

From what I've played:

Bad AI
Bad driving
Bad physics
Meh story
Meh graphics

It's not as bad as I was expecting after the past few weeks and it's definitely worth trying but I don't really think it's deserving of a 8+ average either. It kind of just seems like an empty shell of a game a lot of the time.

AI is supposed to be getting patched today

hlhbk

So after reading about all the problems/issues/bad things about the game what kind of shape was this thing in back at the original release date????

From what I've played:

Bad AI
Bad driving
Bad physics
Meh story
Meh graphics

Why on earth would you purchase a game you expect to be bad?

Kelsey

Banned
AI is supposed to be getting patched today

Do you mean a second AI patch? Because a patch to "fix" the AI was delivered along with the game last night.

My early impressions:
-Agreed that driving is terrible. Worse than Sleeping Dogs, but I got used to that
- Enemy AI is kinda bad, but not terrible. Could be because I'm playing on normal
- Graphics on PS4 are quite nice. Framerate is great for an open world game
- side missions are a lot of fun instead of being a complete crapfest like Infamous
- story isnt that bad. Voice acting other than AIden is good
- Comparing it to GTA5 is doing a disservice to GTA5. They're not in the same league when it comes to quality imo

Review scores in the low-mid-80s seems about right based on what I've seen.

mitchman

Gold Member
The game is very good, guys. Sorry to break it to you.

Heaps of open world activities, great shooting gameplay, hacking is a worthwhile gimmick which really shines in multiplayer, and rock solid performance on PS4.

About 10 hours in and I'm having a lot of fun.

This. I love it. People should stop looking for nitpicking negatives and just play the game.

Yep. I have pretty much zero interest in Watch_Dogs, but this is pretty much what's happened here. After the "downgrade" and the delays, plus videos of kinda meh gameplay, the tone shifted, and now any positive review is a money hat and every negative aspect in otherwise positive reviews is proof positive that the game sucks.

Except it's great.

rashbeep

Banned
This game kinda reminds me of Batman with a less interesting plot and characters and a more detailed open world. So really not too shabby.

Nymphae

Banned
This place never ceases to amaze me. I was pumped for the game before it came out, and the reviews are looking right about where I expected with no major full stop issues, so not much has changed for me, but apparently decent reviews are causing quite a bit of controversy. Keep on keepin' on Gaf.

Looking to pick this up used in a few weeks since I refuse to pay Canadian PS4 new game prices.

Regarding the pre-patch AI, I'm gonna tell you guys what happened during the second-to-last mission I did.

I was stuck hiding behind the corner of a railing. I see a heavy enemy come walking my way.

-I throw a sticky bomb.
-The guy RIGHT NEXT to him yells for everyone to avoid.
-He acts all shocked and keeps walking forward.
-He gets blown up.
-He gets back up
-Another sticky bomb in the same place.
-He acts all shocked again and walks right into it AGAIN.

Repeat about two more times until I clear out the room.

rashbeep

Banned
Regarding the pre-patch AI, I'm gonna tell you guys what happened during the second-to-last mission I did.

I was stuck hiding behind the corner of a railing. I see a heavy enemy come walking my way.

-I throw a sticky bomb.
-The guy RIGHT NEXT to him yells for everyone to avoid.
-He acts all shocked and keeps walking forward.
-He gets blown up.
-He gets back up
-Another sticky bomb in the same place.
-He acts all shocked again and walks right into it AGAIN.

Repeat about two more times until I clear out the room.

Yea the AI seems really exploitable. It doesn't bother me too much, but the infiltration scenarios could be more challenging.

esterk

its kind of laughable that people are making this big a fuss over this. Its still pretty damn similar, while the lighting may be a little different for the most part it still looks pretty good. People should relax. I don't see anybody here producing anything better.
I agree. It doesn't really bother me personally, I was just replying to his comment.

rezn0r

However I'm guilty of loving every AC game so my taste is questionable I guess... aha. But I'm enjoying WD so far.

you sound like me, this is good news

pretty busy the next few days but I think I'm going to pick it up whenever I can. struggling to decide between PS4 & PC

I agree. It doesn't really bother me personally, I was just replying to his comment.

CHEERS MAN.. I mean no game is perfect. No game. But come on, this is averaging low to mid 80s and we still have people talking about it like its no higher than a 60 in the ratings.

atpbx

Why do you guys make gaming such hard work?

Would I be better off flushing £44.99 down the toilet?

According to the reviews so far, no, I wouldnt be better off throwing £44.99 down the toilet.

Is this game the second coming of RE4?

No, it is not as good as the greatest game ever made, but then nothing else is either.

Is it better than watching soaps for the 20 odd hours it takes to finish it.

Yes, but so is pouring sulfuric acid down your piss hole.

Would you rather play watch dogs or pour sulfuric acid down your piss hole?
A- No.
B- Yes.

If you answered A, go and pour some sulfuric acid down your piss hole.
If you answered B, purchase validated.

Is pretty much my thought process when deciding to buy a game or not.

bargeparty

I don't think the driving is that bad and the story is intriguing enough, I want to see where it goes. Seems like a bit of main story mission variation so far and I dig taking the stealth approach.

I also like doing the convoy side missions. Trying to find different ways to take out and stop the enemy cars is fun.

I don't get the hate for the driving, it's not amazing, but it's not down right terrible. With the right car I find myself pretty easy to make turns and power slide around. Each car does seem to handle differently which is what GTA does too.

The game is getting torn apart from user reviews on meta, dang.

User reviews on meta critic are complete shit. It's just fanboys who give a game a 1 or a 10. I remember when Titanfall came out it had pretty decent critic reviews, like an 85 or something, but then user reviews were averaging a 1 because it was flooded by fanboys trying to have a Sim City moment.

Couple of hours in on the 360 version, my opinions:

- Graphically, it's not GTA V, but i'm impressed what they've managed to cram in and yet maintain a steady framerate.
- Lack of free roam multiplayer and dashboard cam in the last-gen versions is a tiny niggle, but slightly disappointing
- Story has at least got me interested enough to see what's next, which I can't say for every game
- Cars handle just fine, there's a decent variety to them, although collisions are a bit iffy I feel (I enjoyed Sleeping Dogs and GTA V, for reference)
- Invading other people's games is great
- Overall gameplay is really enjoyable, glad I bought it and looking forward to seeing what else I can do (hacking the first CTos tower without ever setting foot in it was pretty awesome).

Overall first impressions: 8.5/10, could go up or down depending on how it all plays out!

mark1982

Just picked up a PS4 copy about an hour ago, seems like a bag of mixed nuts from the reviews. I'll fire it up and give it a go, my hopes aren't too high but I think I will be pleasantly surprised after reading some of the positive comments in this thread. Be back in a couple of hours...

WoolyNinja

This is one of the most polarizing third-party games I've ever seen. Though it does seem like a lot of people who've actually played it seem to love it. I have it downloading now so I'll know for myself in a couple more hours.

Grief.exe

According to the reviews so far, no, I wouldnt be better off throwing £44.99 down the toilet.

No, it is not as good as the greatest game ever made, but then nothing else is either.

A- No.
B- Yes.

You validate purchases based on a desire to not feel excruciating pain?

Chobel

A- No.
B- Yes.

tStOBej.gif

And that is not a yes/no question.

Kssio_Aug

A- No.
B- Yes.

2nK1w22.gif

nib95

Banned
Late to the party, but there must have been a crap tonne of crow served. Looks like it reviewed well. Thankfully my copy arrived earlier.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
So how do people think the PS4 sku of Watch_Dogs looks versus, say, the 360 sku of GTAV (which is my current benchmark for best looking, most immersive open world game)?

Top Bottom