• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs reviews

Dang it, I went into the thread thinking the embargo had lifted and expected to see a long list of reviews. Instead there are a measly four reviews by publications I've never heard of before.

Got me all excited for nothing!

i think waiting for the launch hype to die down before making a decision regarding ubisoft games is a good idea. i still remember Ass Creed 1 getting 9s all over the place

Daemul

That's true of almost any game on GAF.

Pretty much. I know some like to pretend otherwise, but GAF gets just as carried away with the hype of a new game as much as everyone else does, before beginning to bash it a couple of months later. Watch Dogs may be the exception to this though, we'll see.

Derp

I should really stop coming to these Watch Dogs threads, lol. The insane amount of negativity is almost making me regret my $45 deluxe edition preorder.

What matters to me the most is how fun the game is and how many hours I can get out of it. But seeing this game get shat on by everyone is scary.

I've got my own issues with the game! I hate the car physics and models. I don't want anymore reasons to regret my purchase damn it!

*Runs out of thread blocking ears* LALALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

cackhyena

I've seen more of this game than any other I can think of, pre release. If reviews came out and said the story was on another level for video games, I'd still wait for a price drop. The on foot controls look pretty decent, as does combat. Everything else, from missions to driving looks sub-par.

braves01

Banned
I should really stop coming to these Watch Dogs threads, lol. The insane amount of negativity is almost making me regret my $45 deluxe edition preorder.

What matters to me the most is how fun the game is and how many hours I can get out of it. But seeing this game get shat on by everyone is scary.

I've got my own issues with the game! I hate the car physics and models. I don't wasn't anymore reasons the regret my purchase damn it!

If that's paid in full, I wouldn't feel bad at all. If it turns out to be bad, you could easily trade that in and break even.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Gonna wait for more reviews but so far the summary for this thread is
- Game receives good/high scores
- People bypass the review and positives and
go straight to the negatives and question the score
- Game is labelled terrible.

People just have it in for this game don't they?

Yes they do. That has been clear for quite some time.

IcyEyes

I've got my own issues with the game! I hate the car physics and models. I don't want anymore reasons to regret my purchase damn it!

Take a look at the OT. There are a lot of people who already play this game and they absolutely love it.
I'm one of them and I really enjoyed the game so far (10h)

Speedhoven

Neo Member
...A lot of good? Reviews let you know that a game likely is or isn't bad ahead of time, so that you can make a more informed decision as to whether to buy it.
BS.

Its rare too se a game journalist use the 1 - 10 scale the correct way. Most grades are just hyped, doesnt reflect the game or paid.

AristoCat

I bought it Friday on PS4, and I agree with the pros and cons of these reviews. I think the biggest flaw of the game is the story and the narrative, I did not feel commited at all for now.

In my opinion this is like the first Assassin´s Creed, something not quite polished and way too much promising. And I add to that the fact the game feels very generic and does not really stand out. Aiden as no charisma at all. For short the game suffer a lack of identity.

cacildo

Gonna wait for more reviews but so far the summary for this thread is
- Game receives good/high scores
- People bypass the review and positives and
go straight to the negatives and question the score
- Game is labelled terrible.

People just have it in for this game don't they?

Yep.
But in this case, i think there´s real reasons to act this way... unfortunally people are focusing on the wrong reasons

Real problem: The game looks bland, looks like GTA without brand name. Feels like fetch quests and tail missions and boring city.

What people focus on and makes em hate the game before playing: People feel "betrayed" by the "downgrade" and that graphics "arent as good as promised"

Pandemic

According to Metacritic, there's 45 minutes until game release/embargo is up, which is in time with the Aussie release.

Recall

So game is flawed yet no reviewer seems willing to back up the score to match the points they raise.

I guess one has to play it themselves and come to their own conclusions.

The game is pretty good so far. I like that the world feels more 'alive' than most open-worlds and character dialogue is unique. What it might lack in variety it makes up (a little bit) in world originality. The world map is not that big, but it is rather dense.

Aiden is an awful character though; I'd put him right next to Connor. Actually much worse. He lacks charisma, personality, and he's just plain boring. It's incredibly hard to identify with him; who goes to such lengths just to find who killed your goddamn NIECE? Get over it dude.

To be fair, though, I'm only about to end Chapter 1, so this is by no means a comprehensive review. But it certainly is not on the level of GTA V, I can tell you that much. It is fun so far though.

Raven77

How is it that all these "first reviews" have good and bad lists...? Seems a bit fishy.

I'll wait for publications I've heard of but I anticipate this game being pretty good. It certainly doesn't look as bad as some people want it to be.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
The game is pretty good so far. I like that the world feels more 'alive' than most open-worlds and character dialogue is unique. What it might lack in variety it makes up (a little bit) in world originality. The world map is not that big, but it is rather dense.

Aiden is an awful character though; I'd put him right next to Connor. Actually much worse. He lacks charisma, personality, and he's just plain boring. It's incredibly hard to identify with him; who goes to such lengths just to find who killed your goddamn NIECE? Get over it dude.

To be fair, though, I'm only about to end Chapter 1, so this is by no means a comprehensive review. But it certainly is not on the level of GTV V, I can tell you that much. It is fun so far though.

I haven't played it, but seriously? It's not like a niece isn't close family.

jaosobno

Some very good, early reviews.

My guess is:

IGN 9/10
Gametrailers: 8.8/10
Gamespot: 8/10
Eurogamer: 8/10
Gameinformer: 9/10

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Is there an embargo on this still or what? It's out tomorrow ... I mean Mario Kart 8 didn't have an embargo, I don't see the point, especially if some of these reviews so far have been fairly positive.

I haven't played it, but seriously? It's not like a niece isn't close family.

Yeah I had a chuckle at that sentence. My two nieces are my world and god help any one who hurts them, never mind kills them.

Would you really kill, rob, hack, hurt, torture your way to the killer? I'm not saying it's not close family--though it certainly isn't siblings/parents--but they specifically chose the niece as the catalyst for all of this. It just seems like a cop out; like if they had made the girlfriend or maybe the sister, it would have been cliché. So the chose her because they couldn't' think of something more? But I'd rather cliché and a least a sense of purpose, over non-cliché and much less of it. Hell, they could have done it with the sister; that is is more universally identifiable than a niece.

So here I am, part of the majority of players who don't have nieces (yet), seeing this guy do all of this for one. It's a little jarring, and his lack of redeeming interpersonal qualities certainly don't help establish a player-character connection.

Top Bottom