• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

cryptic

NomarTyme said:
Probably not eating enough. What kind of carbs are you eating? I recommend tubular carbs like sweet potatoes.

I was thinking of trying some red potatoes and such but how can I maintain a low carb diet with those. Should I have a banana in the morning as well. I also am finding this denying myself of grains is only leading me to crave them even after a week or so of not eating them to the point where I eventually binge. The paleo diet is something I've been messing with in regards to that but I don't know if it works for me.

A part of me just can't understand the rationale this minority viewpoint that grains are evil having eaten them my whole life in many forms.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
cryptic said:
A part of me just can't understand the rationale this minority viewpoint that grains are evil having eaten them my whole life in many forms.

Heh, tell me about it. I was pretty excited to start Dukan a couple weeks ago, but after three days of protein overload and no carbs at all, I can honestly say that my body had never felt worse. It was disgusting. While no/low-carb obviously works for some people, I'm quite certain it never would for me. I've gone back to trying to lose the old fashioned way.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
cryptic said:
Gaf, why is it that I can't seem to get enough energy and more importantly will to exercise unless I eat a bunch of bad food or just a little? I can't seem to get the will to do my typical weights or running alternation every other day after starting a low carb diet.

My details: I work eight hour shifts as the head dishwasher at a hospital M-F 7-3. This includes doing pots, sending them through a dish amchine, taking out trash, deliering food trucks throughout the hospital,sweeping,mopping,etc. and then once I get home I try to do about 9 mph in 60 mins. or weights nonstop no resting periods for 1 hour every other day. If I binge eat I usually do weights, abs for 60 mins, followed by running for 60 or 90 mins. at that speed; about three hours of exercise. How can I keep this up on a low carb diet as I feel guilty if I can't perform like usual.

If you go very low carb you enter ketosis. Generally ketosis and high intensity exercise don't mix well. You can do some, but you'll need to adapt for a few weeks before you'll have the energy.

If you're going to do high intensity exercise, I'd recommend bumping the carbs up a bit. But strictly from fruit and potatoes/yam. They don't irritate digestion and induce leptin resistance like grains do.

If you do want to stick with ketosis, make sure your fat intake is higher on dairy/coconuts. Makes ketones easier than other fats.

cryptic said:

Do you understand the theory of evolution? We didn't start eating grains until about 10,000 years ago, and not significantly until a couple of thousands of years ago (and even more starting 40 years ago). If the negative effects of something are weak and don't impact heavily until after you reproduce, it takes a long time to select for.

Like how some people can't handle lactose with a digestive enzyme called lactase, a lot of people can't handle phytates with a digestive enzyme called phytase.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytic_acid#Food_science

Grains also have other evolutionary mechanisms to protect their young against predictors, like lectins, gluten. Look up "intestinal permeability" on a medical database. Grains cause this.

Grains also have shown to induce leptin resistance because if they do make the intestines permeable they also make it through the blood brain barrier and bind to leptin receptors without inducing satiety:
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6823/5/10

However, just because we didn't adapt to something theory with evolution doesn't necessarily mean it's harmful. Potatoes are a good example of this.
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2010/09/potatoes-and-human-health-part-i.html
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2010/09/potatoes-and-human-health-part-ii.html
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2010/10/potatoes-and-human-health-part-iii.html

cryptic

teh_pwn said:
If you go very low carb you enter ketosis. Generally ketosis and high intensity exercise don't mix well. You can do some, but you'll need to adapt for a few weeks before you'll have the energy.

If you're going to do high intensity exercise, I'd recommend bumping the carbs up a bit. But strictly from fruit and potatoes/yam. They don't irritate digestion and induce leptin resistance like grains do.

If you do want to stick with ketosis, make sure your fat intake is higher on dairy/coconuts. Makes ketones easier than other fats.

Do you understand the theory of evolution? We didn't start eating grains until about 10,000 years ago, and not significantly until a couple of thousands of years ago (and even more starting 40 years ago). If the negative effects of something are weak and don't impact heavily until after you reproduce, it takes a long time to select for.

Like how some people can't handle lactose with a digestive enzyme called lactase, a lot of people can't handle phytates with a digestive enzyme called phytase.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytic_acid#Food_science

Grains also have other evolutionary mechanisms to protect their young against predictors, like lectins, gluten. Look up "intestinal permeability" on a medical database. Grains cause this.

Grains also have shown to induce leptin resistance because if they do make the intestines permeable they also make it through the blood brain barrier and bind to leptin receptors without inducing satiety:
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6823/5/10

However, just because we didn't adapt to something theory with evolution doesn't necessarily mean it's harmful. Potatoes are a good example of this.
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2010/09/potatoes-and-human-health-part-i.html
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2010/09/potatoes-and-human-health-part-ii.html
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2010/10/potatoes-and-human-health-part-iii.html

I'll look into coconut based fats and such and adding in more potatoes to start the day.

I'm interested in corn and and byprodcts like polenta. Is that a grain that's somewhat more acceptable than wheat? What is the general consensus on cereal grains like buckwheat, should I never eat that also?

I'm mainly asking this as I have a bit of a sweet tooth and am finding it very difficult to never eat sweets. I denied myself them for about six months, supplanting them with bananas and mangoes and other fruits until I caved some time around the holidays and this led to a binge spree of sorts. I don't see myself ever being able to rid myself of favorites like pancakes and donuts.

Are buckwheat pancakes, indian pudding, etc. an acceptable alternative or can I just eat my favorites in moderation? Is it worse to rarely eat these foods then shock my system by eating them or schedule a cheat day in which they're acceptable from time to time?

I've also looked into alternatives using almond flour and the likes but the calories are very substantial and I just can't my mnd past that barrier.

Thanks for your help and any more you can give.

cryptic said:
I'll look into coconut based fats and such and adding in more potatoes to start the day.

I'm interested in corn and and byprodcts like polenta. Is that a grain that's somewhat more acceptable than wheat? What is the general consensus on cereal grains like buckwheat, should I never eat that also?

I'm mainly asking this as I have a bit of a sweet tooth and am finding it very difficult to never eat sweets. I denied myself them for about six months, supplanting them with bananas and mangoes and other fruits until I caved some time around the holidays and this led to a binge spree of sorts. I don't see myself ever being able to rid myself of favorites like pancakes and donuts.

Are buckwheat pancakes, indian pudding, etc. an acceptable alternative or can I just eat my favorites in moderation? Is it worse to rarely eat these foods then shock my system by eating them or schedule a cheat day in which they're acceptable from time to time?

I've also looked into alternatives using almond flour and the likes but the calories are very substantial and I just can't my mnd past that barrier.

Wheat (plus barley and rye) are the main ones to avoid.

White rice is pretty benign. It's basically just pure starch.

Buckwheat is okay. It's actually not even a true grain. It's even better if you soak and/or ferment your buckwheat before eating.

Just try avoiding wheat. Even corn/polenta is more acceptable.

Just started my weight loss journey last month.

My wife and I got separated because of my lack of motivation that stemmed from my lack of confidence and laziness which of course all stemmed from me being incredibly overweight. It made it nearly impossible for my to get a job as someone who is technically disabled from being overweight, especially living in California where there are next to no jobs, even for fit and qualified people, I lost my current job because my health made it too difficult to work for clients (security foot patrol), and I promised when we got married that I'd always be the bread winner. It really effected everything from our sex life to just what activities we did on our days off. My weight basically ruined my marriage and I hate that it took this to light a fire under my ass.

I've lost 39 lbs in one month due to dieting, running daily, lifting weights daily, and getting a proper amount of sleep. I started at 382 and am now 343. I'll definitely be posting pics once I've completed this 'journey'.

Xelinis

Today, I've quelled another craving: low-carb mozzarella sticks.

1/2 cup Almond Flour
1/2 cup Grated Parmesan
2 eggs
Mozzarella
Dried Basil & Parsley (use however much you want)
Fat for deep frying (I used ghee)

Mix together the parmesan, almond flour, basil, and parsley. Separately, beat two eggs. Roll each piece of mozzarella in the flour mixture, dip it in the egg, and then coat again with the flour mixture. Put the mozzarella in the freezer for half an hour. Take it out, dip it in the egg and then the flour mixture once more, and then back into the freezer. When you're sure that the cheese is frozen (probably another half hour), heat up your fat to roughly 375F. Cook your cheese until the outside is nice and brown and enjoy!

It certainly tastes a little bit different than real mozzarella sticks, but it's still damn good. The only problem I had was that, while the low-carb breading was good, the cheese tasted really plastic-y. I probably shouldn't be surprised since I used really cheep mozzarella string cheese, but at least I achieved my goal in this experiment. I do have small balls of fresh mozzarella in the fridge so I might try using those tomorrow.

Pics will come.

NR1

I was going to post this a few days ago, but I completely forgot!

one_year_later.jpg

Here are some of the major lifestyle changes that were critical to my success:

-No more sodas. This includes so-called "Diet" drinks as well.

-Limit eating out at restaurants to only once a week maximum and use it as your Cheat Day.

-Look at food labels and learn how to read them. I was shocked to learn that many "healthy" foods I was eating before were anything but healthy!

-Limit your intake of foods made with enriched white flour. Whole grain, Multi grain, or potato breads are better for you.

-Fruits and vegetables are your friends. Eat those that are rich in Vitamin C- you can easily increase your metabolism this way!

-Avoid any foods that have "High Fructose Corn Syrup" listed in the ingredients.

-Eat more whole foods and less processed foods.

-Set a goal and track your progress. You can't improve something unless you have a starting point and a path to the finish line.

One stat that I forgot to include on the Before/After photo was my waist size. I went from a 40-inch waist to a 34-inch. I'm trying to get down to a 32-inch with a body fat percentage of 10%. In theory, I should starting seeing my six-pack abs at that point! :)

I'm thinking about mixing up my diet a bit and trying intermittent fasting.

If I understand correctly, I go for about 16-24 hours without eating, work out, and then eat a big meal a couple of hours later. And I do this a couple of times per week. Is this correct?

I'm in the best shape I've been in in ages, but I've still got quite a lot of belly fat. Does IF help get rid of this?

I just saw this thread pop up in Off-Topic and it really peaked my interest. I am ready to lose weight. I have been overweight for most of my life and I said to myself, "Something needs to change." Seeing pictures in this thread make me believe I can work out, be more social and still game it up every once in awhile. So here are my stats atm:

Height: 5'9"
Weight: 250 lbs
Pant size: 42

I have been psyching myself up for this for awhile and I am now just starting to take action. Four days ago I started to walk for 37min(Wednesday) then 50min(Friday FUNFUNFUN) and then 1hr and 5min(Saturday). I know it isn't a big deal but getting myself to work out two days in a row is a new experience(so sad). But at the end of the day...I don't really know how to work out at my weight (I tried running a little but I think my weight is too much for my knees right now). I also have problems going to a gym because of confidence issues so I am trying to find things that don't require them.

As for my diet, I don't really measure my calories which is probably something I need to do. So far I eat about 1 meal of crap (chikfila, bk) and then just snack on fruit and some pretzels. I started to replace sodas with water and diet sodas. Much like my workout, I have no idea how to diet -_-

So...I need help and any suggestions would be awesome.

Also, I don't own a scale. It is one of those things fat people try to avoid but I think it will be an important step to weight loss so maybe I will pick one up tomorrow (or is there a good one on amazon? They usually have good prices)

~Kinggi~

Banned
Lamiafusion said:
I just saw this thread pop up in Off-Topic and it really peaked my interest. I am ready to lose weight. I have been overweight for most of my life and I said to myself, "Something needs to change." Seeing pictures in this thread make me believe I can work out, be more social and still game it up every once in awhile. So here are my stats atm:

I have been psyching myself up for this for awhile and I am now just starting to take action. Four days ago I started to walk for 37min(Wednesday) then 50min(Friday FUNFUNFUN) and then 1hr and 5min(Saturday). I know it isn't a big deal but getting myself to work out two days in a row is a new experience(so sad). But at the end of the day...I don't really know how to work out at my weight (I tried running a little but I think my weight is too much for my knees right now). I also have problems going to a gym because of confidence issues so I am trying to find things that don't require them.

As for my diet, I don't really measure my calories which is probably something I need to do. So far I eat about 1 meal of crap (chikfila, bk) and then just snack on fruit and some pretzels. I started to replace sodas with water and diet sodas. Much like my workout, I have no idea how to diet -_-

Also, I don't own a scale. It is one of those things fat people try to avoid but I think it will be an important step to weight loss so maybe I will pick one up tomorrow (or is there a good one on amazon? They usually have good prices)

This is what i did--

Segmented my day into 3 distinct meals and thats it. Make sure to get a weight scale if you dont have one.

-Breakfast (probiotic organic shake, plain (this tastes like shit but oh well) Plain organic yogurt. Every now and then have some Orange Juice or something to mix things up. Maybe a piece of fruit.
-Lunch - I basically just had a 6 inch whole grain sub from Subway with turkey, honey mustard, onions, green peppers, tomato, and spinach. I'm sure there are better lunches but this was the only place near my job.
-Dinner - i went to publix and bought these cheap eye-round steaks. They usually come in packs of 4 or 3 or something. Had about 2 a night. Sprinkled some seasoning on them like Mesquite powder as i cooked them.

As for drinks i switched completely over to Water and Carbonated watert with lemon juice sprinkled in for flavor (during dinner). On the job i'd drink a fairly decent sized water bottle throughout the day. No more soda or sweet drinks.

And for the hard part, did 45 minutes of cardio on an elliptical machine at my gym. Did this about 4-6 days of the week. I started doing that in May 2010 at 210 lbs 5'11. Come October i was around 165 lbs.

Currently i am 158 lbs, and have kept up a reasonable exercise routine, but one major thing i changed was before December last year i got hardcore into weight lifting. So now not only have i swapped out a lot of fat for muscle but im somewhat toned and have definitely built up my chest and shit.

You're gonna hit walls and feel like shit that you arent losing weight. Typically i elevated my workout for a week and then gave up and cheated one night only to find i had started losing weight the next day.

Also people here might say to be simultaneously building muscle and losing weight and they may be right, but to be honest i think that confuses things for people. When you do weights you have to eat a lot more to have the energy and not feel dead, so that makes portioning out weight loss hard to determine. The way i did it kept things simple and i saw very direct weight loss over time. It made building up muscle later more difficult but i did it and am now in great shape.

this has had zero affect on my social life and i still am relatively miserable, so thats kinda bullshit /bummer

Akim

Banned
Lamiafusion said:

first step: completely cut out fast food and soda

second step: Eat a balanced diet of Protein/Fat/Carbs. Measure out your food, count your calories, and figure out your BMR.

third step: Decide what type of diet you want to do. Some people find low carb is easy, and it is what I did. Either way, find foods that are good for you and that you enjoy. Things like eggs, meats (chicken, beef, fish), basically any vegetables, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, etc.

BertramCooper said:

If I understand correctly, I go for about 16-24 hours without eating, work out, and then eat a big meal a couple of hours later. And I do this a couple of times per week. Is this correct?

I'm in the best shape I've been in in ages, but I've still got quite a lot of belly fat. Does IF help get rid of this?
To add to this: Is intermittent fasting safe or healthy to do every single day? I'm not totally clear if it's a once or twice a week thing or an every single day thing.

Honestly, I think it would work fine for my strength training days. But my cardio days? I'm not quite so sure.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
BertramCooper said:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

Xelinis

As promised, pics of the low-carb mozzarella sti- err, balls. This second batch, made with real mozzarella instead of the cheap sticks, tasted AMAZING!

5544330751_5cf248eaa6.jpg

5544909238_2ea54384c5.jpg

5544332197_f91545e881.jpg

5544332613_3abb1d8717.jpg

5544332881_5a559ed7d4.jpg

NomarTyme

cryptic said:

Another Alternate is coconut flour if you want to make pancakes.

Eat sweet potatoes/w butter(preferably grass fed) instead if you have a sweet tooth.

Also balance out your omega six/three ratio. Eat Wild fish(easier to find than grass fed cows), I believe you can find in can form in your supermakets.

jts

...hate me...
Hi guys!

As promised, here's the 180 days spreadsheet I made to keep track of my weight loss, with some averages and predictions to reach the goal, a graph etc. I think it's nice. It has been helping me and actually makes me always look forward for another weigh-in lol.

Translated everything, changed the unit to lbs, and it's ready - save for some stupid wording you may find. Also, if you find any bugs, please warn me. I checked it thoroughly though.

Link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2688749/dailyweight.xlsx

Hope this helps and motivates you!

jts said:
Hi guys!

As promised, here's the 180 days spreadsheet I made to keep track of my weight loss, with some averages and predictions to reach the goal, a graph etc. I think it's nice. It has been helping me and actually makes me always look forward for another weigh-in lol.

Translated everything, changed the unit to lbs, and it's ready - save for some stupid wording you may find. Also, if you find any bugs, please warn me. I checked it thoroughly though.

That's awesome and I hope it helps people but one thing I hated was checking my weight every day. It is much more satisfying checking your weight every two weeks or something. I don't think it helps to see if you lost .1 lbs in a day. Right now I just check my weight after my first workout of the week.

jts

...hate me...
cuevas said:
That's awesome and I hope it helps people but one thing I hated was checking my weight every day. It is much more satisfying checking your weight every two weeks or something. I don't think it helps to see if you lost .1 lbs in a day. Right now I just check my weight after my first workout of the week.
Well, to each his own :p

I've weighed myself in every morning for the last couple of months, it's a bit of an obsession really. I know that those daily fluctuations aren't the most accurate to assess your real weight but I've started to see some patterns etc and it's very interesting. Also, I'm on ADF, so it's an extra incentive to check the weight I lost on the fasting days and sometimes gain on eating days.

But anyway, the spreadsheet is made to allow for one to input his weigh-in not mattering how frequently he does it, provided you input your starting weight (day 1), goal and starting date :)

KJTB

As a Californian who is never satisfied with the weather...

FUCK YOU RAIN, GO AWAY. Running in the rain sucks :/

jts said:
Hi guys!

Thanks for this. I have my own XLS that I've been using but this looks to be more involved, which is great.

I'm having an issue, though, with the expected date that I'd reach my goal. I've retrospectively added in all the dates from my own XLS but even as the number of days to my goal decreased with weight loss, the date itself hasn't changed since the 2nd weigh in. Any clue why?

aznpxdd

NR1 said:
I was going to post this a few days ago, but I completely forgot!

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f297/NRiNR1/one_year_later.jpg[/IMG

Here are some of the major lifestyle changes that were critical to my success:

-No more sodas. This includes so-called "Diet" drinks as well.

-Limit eating out at restaurants to only once a week maximum and use it as your Cheat Day.

-Look at food labels and learn how to read them. I was shocked to learn that many "healthy" foods I was eating before were anything but healthy!

-Limit your intake of foods made with enriched white flour. Whole grain, Multi grain, or potato breads are better for you.

-Fruits and vegetables are your friends. Eat those that are rich in Vitamin C- you can easily increase your metabolism this way!

-Avoid any foods that have "High Fructose Corn Syrup" listed in the ingredients.

-Eat more whole foods and less processed foods.

-Set a goal and track your progress. You can't improve something unless you have a starting point and a path to the finish line.

One stat that I forgot to include on the Before/After photo was my waist size. I went from a 40-inch waist to a 34-inch. I'm trying to get down to a 32-inch with a body fat percentage of 10%. In theory, I should starting seeing my six-pack abs at that point! :)[/QUOTE]

Nice job!!

scosher

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
gbU5Y.jpg

Picked up this coconut oil over the weekend, and just cooked with it tonight. Holy hell, this stuff is amazing! And of course, I checked Amazon, and found out I paid for ONE fifteen-ounce container locally as much as a TWO pack costs from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EO5Q64/?tag=neogaf0e-20 subscribe & save woot). Moral of the story, always check Amazon first, and the second moral is coconut oil rocks the house.

Question to GAF'ers, what's the healthiest cooking oil to use for cooking meat? Coconut Oil or Canola Oil? Or something else?

jts

...hate me...
fadetoblack said:
Thanks for this. I have my own XLS that I've been using but this looks to be more involved, which is great.

I'm having an issue, though, with the expected date that I'd reach my goal. I've retrospectively added in all the dates from my own XLS but even as the number of days to my goal decreased with weight loss, the date itself hasn't changed since the 2nd weigh in. Any clue why?
Well, if you're losing your weight at a steady rate, the number of days to reach your goal will naturally decrease as time goes by but your expected date to reach that goal will remain the same and that's a good thing :p

But that'll only happen if the days left to reach that goal decrease by an average of 1 a day. If that's not the case, please save your file and send it over to me, I'll check it out.

NomarTyme

scosher said:
Question to GAF'ers, what's the healthiest cooking oil to use for cooking meat? Coconut Oil or Canola Oil? Or something else?
Canola is a big no but Coconut and extra virgin olive oil is good too. Glee and butter would be good too. I usually use Coconut oil for sauteing or put in soup.

teh_pwn

scosher said:

Coconut is healthier, no contest.

Canola is rapeseed, which has it's oil extracted through hexane, heat, and the final touches have deodorizers to mask the rancid oil smell.

LaneDS

Xelinis said:
As promised, pics of the low-carb mozzarella sti- err, balls. This second batch, made with real mozzarella instead of the cheap sticks, tasted AMAZING!

Those look awesome. Currently doing the low-carb thing and just got back from the gym, and seeing those pictures immediately made me hungry. Could you post a link to the recipe please? Apologies if you did that earlier in the thread and I missed it.

...now I need to go eat something, urgh.

Xelinis

LaneDS said:
Those look awesome. Currently doing the low-carb thing and just got back from the gym, and seeing those pictures immediately made me hungry. Could you post a link to the recipe please? Apologies if you did that earlier in the thread and I missed it.

...now I need to go eat something, urgh.

Sure.

Xelinis said:
Today, I've quelled another craving: low-carb mozzarella sticks.

1/2 cup Almond Flour
1/2 cup Grated Parmesan
2 eggs
Mozzarella
Dried Basil & Parsley (use however much you want)
Fat for deep frying (I used ghee)

Mix together the parmesan, almond flour, basil, and parsley. Separately, beat two eggs. Roll each piece of mozzarella in the flour mixture, dip it in the egg, and then coat again with the flour mixture. Put the mozzarella in the freezer for half an hour. Take it out, dip it in the egg and then the flour mixture once more, and then back into the freezer. When you're sure that the cheese is frozen (probably another half hour), heat up your fat to roughly 375F. Cook your cheese until the outside is nice and brown and enjoy!

And don't use those cheap sticks of string cheese, go for the real stuff.

teh_pwn

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Whoa, should I not be eating anything with Canola oil in it? I thought it was a good for you oil. I already stay away from soybean oil.

Conventional wisdom says so because it has a little omega3 fat in it. Problem is the fat is rancid before it gets to the store due to the way it's processed:

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2011/02/17/butter-vs-canola-oil-spot-the-real-food/

Generally speaking, humans should only eat fats that you can eat from whole food, or extract by crushing/squeezing. Seeds require hexane, a neurotoxin, to act as a solvent to extract the oil.

teh_pwn said:
Conventional wisdom says so because it has a little omega3 fat in it. Problem is the fat is rancid before it gets to the store due to the way it's processed:

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2011/02/17/butter-vs-canola-oil-spot-the-real-food/

Generally speaking, humans should only eat fats that you can eat from whole food, or extract by crushing/squeezing. Seeds require hexane, a neurotoxin, to act as a solvent to extract the oil.

Shit, well there are some things in the fridge I will be getting rid of tomorrow then.

LaneDS

Xelinis said:
Sure.

And don't use those cheap sticks of string cheese, go for the real stuff.

Awesome, thanks. Got a place nearby that sells excellent mozzarella, which I'll be using this weekend when I try this.

I have been trying to find an answer to a couple questions for quite some time now, and have come up empty. Maybe this would be a good place to ask.

I was wondering if the properties of olive oil change as it is heated. I know olive oil is considered a healthy fat. But if its temperature is raised to high, can it become unhealthy?

Also, I am trying to understand exactly what it is about frying food that produces results that are worse for you than baking or grilling food. All my life I have heard that fried food is terrible for you. But if you are pan frying a chicken breast, for example, and you are using olive oil, what exactly is unhealthy about this? Is fried food bad soley because it absorbs the oil that it is cooked in? And if this is the case, if the oil you are using is a healthy one, does it really matter that the food absorbs it?

Basically, all I'm trying to figure out is if it's OK to pan fry meat if I use olive oil to prevent the meat from sticking to the pan? Or will the olive oil get too hot and then increase in calories or become unhealthy in some other way? Will it somehow turn a healthy meal into an unhealthy one?

Would pan frying a chicken breast in olive oil produce different results than if I were to bake a chicken breast with olive oil drizzled on top? Or would they be exactly the same macronutrient-wise (ie, same amount of calories, fat, carbs).

Hopefully someone here knows the answers, because it's driving me mad not knowing.

ch0mp

ArachosiA 78 said:
I have been trying to find an answer to a couple questions for quite some time now, and have come up empty. Maybe this would be a good place to ask.

I was wondering if the properties of olive oil change as it is heated. I know olive oil is considered a healthy fat. But if its temperature is raised to high, can it become unhealthy?

Also, I am trying to understand exactly what it is about frying food that produces results that are worse for you than baking or grilling food. All my life I have heard that fried food is terrible for you. But if you are pan frying a chicken breast, for example, and you are using olive oil, what exactly is unhealthy about this? Is fried food bad soley because it absorbs the oil that it is cooked in? And if this is the case, if the oil you are using is a healthy one, does it really matter that the food absorbs it?
Basically, all I'm trying to figure out is if it's OK to pan fry meat if I use olive oil to prevent the meat from sticking to the pan? Or will the olive oil get too hot and then increase in calories or become unhealthy in some other way? Will it somehow turn a healthy meal into an unhealthy one?

Would pan frying a chicken breast in olive oil produce different results than if I were to bake a chicken breast with olive oil drizzled on top? Or would they be exactly the same macronutrient-wise (ie, same amount of calories, fat, carbs).

Hopefully someone here knows the answers, because it's driving me mad not knowing.

Short answer: There is probably something better for frying. Like virgin coconut oil. But olive oil, or specifically fresh, extra virgin olive oil is good.

Long answer. Mark says it much better than I ever could.

I'm saving any photo comparisons until my weight stabilizes, but I've dropped 15 pounds (around 10% of my body weight) in exactly one month by going hardcore paleo. No grains, lots of fruit and veggies, lots of great local grass-fed beef and farm eggs. And that's with a two week trip where I had to eat out every single night.

The weight loss is almost a secondary benefit—I've had enough other improvements that I'm starting to think I had a food allergy with something in my diet before.

Daft_Cat

Untitled-1.jpg

Actually lost weight a couple years ago now, but I've kept it off so might as well post my results. Sorry for the blurry before photo, but I didn't take many photos of myself back then.

Anyway, the stats:

Before:
Weight: Approx. 195 Lbs.
Body fat: Approx. 20%
Height: 5'11

After:
Weight: 148 Lbs.
Body fat: generally around 11-12 %
Height: 5'11

I strength train, but my goal isn't to build muscle strength. I aim for muscle endurance. I'm a runner too, about 3 miles 4-5 times a week. Food wise I eat well sized meals, but I don't snack. That's the trick. I don't diet, and I don't have a sweet tooth so that's what I have going for me. I just eat normal amounts, and try my best to make sensible choices.

For those of you doing Paleo, can you recommend some essential books?

I'm gonna check out Arthur De Vany's book, which incorporates intermittent fasting and more sporadic higher intensity exercise.

betweenthewheels said:
For those of you doing Paleo, can you recommend some essential reading books?

I'm gonna check out Arthur De Vany's book, which incorporates intermittent fasting and more sporadic higher intensity exercise.
I picked up Robb Wolf's Paleo book and also Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint a few weeks in, but I've yet to read much of either. I started just by reading online and adding a few podcasts to my rotation (Robb Wolf's and another called Latest in Paleo).

betweenthewheels said:
For those of you doing Paleo, can you recommend some essential reading books?

Primal Blueprint is a good intro, quite easy to get into. robb wolf's book is a little bit more in-depth. I got Cordain's book out of the library the other day, it's quite similar to Wolf's. Make sure you get the updated 2010 version.

Top Bottom