• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

spetz

Old pic of me back in 2006 5'9 148lbs

oldpicme.jpg

Newer Pic of me in early 2009 after bodybuilding for 3 years 5-6x a week 5'9 170lbs

newpicme.jpg

Gaining muscle aint easy, whoever said it was needs to be dragged out back and shot.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
lsslave said:
Kinitari -> You don't look terrible, you could use a little toning but your body holds itself well! (although dreds? You can do better! haha sorry... I have female friends getting them now and just... /sigh)

Seriously, a good month of working on toning and you'll be looking great! Definitely do some chest, your body type could use a bit of definition there with your smaller ribs and shoulders.

Cold weather exercising is actually not bad, if you can find a non-icy area to go for a jog/run. You will perspire a lot less in the end and lose less water. The area of Alberta I am in we regularly hit -30 to -40 C but if its -10 to -20 I love a nice cold weather jog. You move enough to stay warm (wear headphones that cover the ear or earmuffs! The wind sucks!) and aren't as exhausted as you would be in the summer!

I lurve my dreads! These are naturally forming too, my hair yearns to be this way.

Yeah, I think I just need the discipline for a month of hard work, I know I'll always make excuses for myself, until the end of the time, I just need to push through and just do it.

What sort of chest exercises can I do at home with some dumbbells/resistance bands?

And I guess I could run, it's pretty dry right now where I am, and not TOO cold (Toronto), I used to run a lot growing up, so it's always been something I've wanted to get back into.

But do you really think I'll see any real results within a month?

Edited for the pics above me:

Motherfuuuu

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Kinitari said:
I lurve my dreads! These are naturally forming too, my hair yearns to be this way.

Yeah, I think I just need the discipline for a month of hard work, I know I'll always make excuses for myself, until the end of the time, I just need to push through and just do it.

What sort of chest exercises can I do at home with some dumbbells/resistance bands?

And I guess I could run, it's pretty dry right now where I am, and not TOO cold (Toronto), I used to run a lot growing up, so it's always been something I've wanted to get back into.

But do you really think I'll see any real results within a month?

A short good exercise daily, as well as cutting down on what you eat, and being active during the day (one thing I've always stressed is do things like taking stairs and etc.!) can make a big difference.

You aren't in terrible shape, just lack definition. I've seen people do it in 3 weeks but they did TOO much and it didn't help because their appetite increased and they weren't active when they weren't exercising because they burned out while exercising.

I work 20-30 minutes max daily, and I feel great :) I lack in cardio but Grande Prairie is ice all winter... our Mayor is a god damn tool >.<

For chest I really don't know exercises :/ I have a HUGE rib cage and as such I try not to work my upper torso too much

baultista

Banned
jenov4 said:
I was hesitant to post before and after shots of myself because I'm still really self conscious, but I figure if it helps to motivate just one person out there, then it's worth it.
Mission accomplished!

Little background:
Was pretty much inactive throughout Highschool and University. Decided that it was time for a change and started jogging. Went from lamp post to lamp post. I never gave up and eventually did my first 10k race, which in turned led to a marathon, and now triathlons. Completed my first Ironman (140.6 miles) this year...

You seem pretty muscular for an endurance athlete. I'm guessing you mix a lot of bodybuilding-esque weight training in there?

spetz

^^^I was thinking the same thing about you Jenov4. Most endurance/runners/triathlon athletes are very toned and thin. However you appear to be much more muscular than most by far. Props for it!

Do the other runners give you looks for being so big? ;-)

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Killer said:
I'm just a little bit curious for the guys who lost 100+ lb, do you have any issues with the excess skin?

I have loose skin and stretch marks, once I find some steady work (fucking recession) I am going to look into getting it removed. I am normally against optional surgery but I think this is a special circumstance and not to 'fix my face' or anything

Koshiba

lsslave said:
I have loose skin and stretch marks, once I find some steady work (fucking recession) I am going to look into getting it removed. I am normally against optional surgery but I think this is a special circumstance and not to 'fix my face' or anything

I think getting loose skin removed is fine. My ex had lost close to 100lbs and has an issue with loose skin and man boobs so I always said if we were still together and he wanted the surgery, I'd support him with it. I didn't have a problem with it but if it would help with his confidence issues, I think of it as a good thing.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Koshiba said:
I think getting loose skin removed is fine. My ex had lost close to 100lbs and has an issue with loose skin and man boobs so I always said if we were still together and he wanted the surgery, I'd support him with it. I didn't have a problem with it but if it would help with his confidence issues, I think of it as a good thing.

I want to get myself as toned as I can first though. I think its because when I go on tour (god I feel happy to be back into music) I like to play shirtless. I move around a lot on stage and its too damn hot to be fully clothed.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
blame space said:
I need to click on this thread every time I want to eat.

My best recommendation for you if you have a big appetite is find healthy snacks. I love bananas because they stick with you for a good while.

Another nice snack is pickles, they are very low calorie and garlic is good for you.

If you don't drink milk and like a late night snack have a pickle and a SMALL piece of cheese, low calorie and calcium. The crackers are un-needed so don't make cracker snacks, just have that.

jenov4

lsslave: Hah, thanks.. well, I am pretty confident with my shirt on. But posting half naked pics on the internet is another story. We get stripped down on these races, so it's to save time, not to look good. Haha.

eternal prize: Nice man!! 200KM will definitely be a challenging ride, but if you hydrate, eat properly and train enough, it's a distance that anyone can handle. It's all muscle memory. BTW, your before and after is crazy! You kinda remind me of Jeremy Piven, but more lean. That's a good thing!

spetz: Man, you're jacked! Those guns! LOL. Well, I did weight training on and off during the winter time, so I was a bit bigger. I think the pictures are a bit deceiving, I'd consider myself more lean than muscular. I'll post ones with my shirt on later on. Hah.

baultista: Your journey always begins with the first step. That's all it takes, and commitment. You can do this. I found myself hanging out with different types of people (folks who are into endurance sports) which really get you motivated, etc. etc. I did a combination of weight training and cardio, I guess with more focus on bulking up during the first few months, and then I decided to do the whole cardio thing afterwards. I still do light weights and a lot of bodyweight kind of exercises (pushups, pullups, crunches). I think it's best to find something you enjoy, so triathlons were it for me.

Snacking wise, I enjoy rice cakes with a bit of hummus or salsa. I find them quite filling, and they're like 35 calories per cake. I'll defintely be checking out this thread more often to help give advice if there's any needed. :)

TimeKillr

Well hey, this is a perfect time to hop on this thread. :)

I'm going to go through weight-reduction surgery on January 8th. I'm having a Lap-Band installed, which is not the easy route (gastric bypass is WAY WAY WAY more drastic and may fuck you up BUT it also is easier and faster when losing weight). I will still have to have a nice balanced diet and all.

I'll take a pic tonight, but for starters, I'm 6'4, over 400lbs. Yeah, I know, it's huge. :) I can live with it pretty easily, but I fully intend to lose as much weight as I can.

Wish me luck! :)

cbox

TimeKillr said:

I'm going to go through weight-reduction surgery on January 8th. I'm having a Lap-Band installed, which is not the easy route (gastric bypass is WAY WAY WAY more drastic and may fuck you up BUT it also is easier and faster when losing weight). I will still have to have a nice balanced diet and all.

I'll take a pic tonight, but for starters, I'm 6'4, over 400lbs. Yeah, I know, it's huge. :) I can live with it pretty easily, but I fully intend to lose as much weight as I can.

Good luck!

For some snacking ideas,

I eat a bit of really high fibre cereal with some yogurt or a fruit. After my lunch , I snack on cucumbers and balsamic vinegar, thing carrot sticks with hummus and all that. Eventually you'll like them better than chips and chocolate. I haven't touched fast food in years. I simply can't stomach it anymore.

spetz said:

oldpicme.jpg

Newer Pic of me in early 2009 after bodybuilding for 3 years 5-6x a week 5'9 170lbs

newpicme.jpg

Gaining muscle aint easy, whoever said it was needs to be dragged out back and shot.
i5td1e.jpg

fuck fuck fuck....

i'd still fight you

TimeKillr

eternal prize said:
Good luck!

For some snacking ideas,

I eat a bit of really high fibre cereal with some yogurt or a fruit. After my lunch , I snack on cucumbers and balsamic vinegar, thing carrot sticks with hummus and all that. Eventually you'll like them better than chips and chocolate. I haven't touched fast food in years. I simply can't stomach it anymore.

I typically eat high fibre anyhow, myself - I have IBS, so it's freaky important. I found out if I go without a lot of fibre I can't sleep because it hurts too much. So... :)

I was really thinking of putting balsamic vinegar in my diet - it's pretty tasty and mixes well with many, many things.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Being such a little guy (5'4") no one ever believed that I was chubby per se because it was fairly easy to hide, but I've always had a high body fat percentage. Was finally able to do something about it this summer, and slimmed down quite a bit. Not sure about actual then/now weight, but the difference is visible for certain, although I still have a very long way to go before being content with things. Unfortunately, my depression is back with a vengeance and I've fallen off the wagon in a big way over the past few weeks. :\

I've been debating whether or not to post a picture in here; nobody likes those 'before' shots (it makes me cringe looking at mine) but the 'after' ones I have might be a little too... revealing. Not explicit, just more than GAF probably cares to see, heh.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Cosmic Bus said:
Being such a little guy (5'4") no one ever believed that I was chubby per se because it was fairly easy to hide, but I've always had a high body fat percentage. Was finally able to do something about it this summer, and slimmed down quite a bit. Not sure about actual then/now weight, but the difference is visible for certain, although I still have a very long way to go before being content with things. Unfortunately, my depression is back with a vengeance and I've fallen off the wagon in a big way over the past few weeks. :\

I've been debating whether or not to post a picture in here; nobody likes those 'before' shots (it makes me cringe looking at mine) but the 'after' ones I have might be a little too... revealing. Not explicit, just more than GAF probably cares to see, heh.

lol well take some NON revealing shots for us, we don't want to see you naked but the thread could use more input ;)

TimeKillr said:

Good luck! You'll get unending support from us!

MoxManiac said:
Is skin reduction surgery or whatever expensive?

Its considered optional so it isn't cheap, but I can't find any local prices to go into more detail. Having weight reduction can sometimes work because a doctor will claim its health related and you can have it covered by insurance but skin won't kill me :lol

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Alright, so the first is from around mid-July, the second from late August (if memory serves)...

IMG_1055a.jpg
IMG_1055b.jpg

And this is today.

IMG_1055c.jpg

Cosmic Bus said:
Alright, so the first is from around mid-July, the second from late August (if memory serves)...

IMG_1055a.jpg
IMG_1055b.jpg

And this is today.

IMG_1055c.jpg

whats your diet like? Is it simply from working out? Or just generally how did you get your fat % down so low?

Rhino

This was taken in Peru back in 2005
Picture097.jpg

Probably 260ish or so and blindingly pale.

Mid 2006 I think 245ish
Picture001-1.jpg

Taken a couple nights ago
Picture008.jpg

Down to 225 and dropping like no ones business :D

I'll post some more come Febuary as I expect to see very noticeable results by then

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Cosmicbus -> Damn man, you didn't look terrible to start but you look fantastic now! Of course you have changed your hair and everything into a style that really works for you

Rhino -> You look great also man, but the style of facial hair you had in the middle picture suits you much better than the little chin fuzz you are rocking now. You have a well defined jaw line in the middle one.

EzLink

Banned
Rhino said:
This was taken in Peru back in 2005
Picture097.jpg

Probably 260ish or so and blindingly pale.

Mid 2006 I think 245ish
Picture001-1.jpg

Taken a couple nights ago
Picture008.jpg

Down to 225 and dropping like no ones business :D

I'll post some more come Febuary as I expect to see very noticeable results by then

Wow dude, you look like a badass special ops commander in that last pic

The coffee shop I work at is starting an employe's "Biggest Loser Challenge" on Monday, and we are going to be posting weekly updates on our advertising screen right by the register, meaning all the people from my community that get coffee from this place (tons of people I know from high school and around town) will see it. Thus if I fail everyone will know, meaning this is driving my motivation through the roof. I've tried and failed so many many times before but this time I'm gonna fucking nail it

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
highluxury said:
whats your diet like? Is it simply from working out? Or just generally how did you get your fat % down so low?

Well, I'm not interested in putting on muscle, though a little presumably comes along hand-in-hand with exercising in general, so I don't do anything fancy or take/drink supplements. I just cut down quite a bit on my food intake and improved the quality of what I do eat: mostly fresh fruits and veggies, very little meat (a bit of fish or canned tuna sometimes); oats, whole grains, yogurt and eggs throughout the week for breakfasts. Precisely one soft drink per week so I don't get completely burned out on water, tea and coffee... That sort of thing. For me, it's mostly been about disciplining my appetite long enough so it became habit rather than something forced.

The weight came off pretty easily once I got comfortable with having an exercise routine as a normal part of my day, and again, absolutely nothing fancy about it: 30 minutes of cardio, some push-ups and crunches, and literally just a few minutes with 15- and 25lb dumbbells. I can't afford a gym membership (nor would I ever be comfortable at one anyway) and jogging/running simply has never been enjoyable, so this works for me.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I used to weight close to 400lbs about 4 years ago, drop down to 200 about 2 years ago now I gained like 40ish lbs back. Can't seem to get back into the grove again.

Rengoku

Hi gaf, time to show some pics of my progress so far. Maybe it'll help motivate ppl.

281scpi.jpg

And some info:

Just under 5'7

2008 - 190 lbs, 36 waist, sz XL
2009 - 126 lbs, 28 waist, sz S/XS

Have been overweight most of my life, started to let go around '02 or so, mainly due to school. Towards the end of '08, I decided I needed to start working out and eating healthy. But I didn't want to spend money on a gym membership, so I picked up some weights, bands, pullup bar, and tried P90X. Fast forward to today, I've completed 3 rounds of P90X and am currently on the last week of Insanity.

Goal for 2010 is to start bulking up, I guess I will need a gym membership now...

Cosmic Bus said:

IMG_1055a.jpg
IMG_1055b.jpg

And this is today.

IMG_1055c.jpg

Ummm....I don't think you're supposed to have bones showing, how much do you weigh?

BTW, does anyone have advice for gaining weight? My doctor told me I should be 160 pounds and I'm only like 125 at the moment, I have real trouble trying to gain weight at all. I've been eating 3000+ calories a day and nothing :(

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
PumpkinPie said:
Ummm....I don't think you're supposed to have bones showing, how much do you weigh?

Hovering a bit under/over 130lbs. I'm a really small guy, though, so I don't think that's at all out of the ordinary.

Cosmic Bus said:
Hovering a bit under/over 130lbs. I'm a really small guy, though, so I don't think that's at all out of the ordinary.

I'm 5'9" and about 125lbs and I have been forced to see a dietitian before because they thought I was not eating and were worried about my weight, I still have to see a doctor every 6 months to make sure I have not lost weight and I also have to take this weight gain shit because the doctor wants to see me at 160lbs. How tall are you if you don't mind me asking?

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Pumpkinpie -> You're making me hungry with your username you bastard :lol

Gaining weight is a funny thing for me to think of, its SO easy for me to gain it with my metabolism. In reality being underweight may be bad but as long as you stay healthy and fit there is nothing much more you can do. Have they checked for hypoglycemia?

Rengoku -> Damn good job man! You look great now! The old you looks like it could eat the new you in comparison!

A big update on my end: While I might have undone it a bit with Christmas eating (Christmas even I couldn't eat anything but Christmas Day I ate SOOOOO damn much) I am doing great on my end. A bit of belly fat being worked off, the last bit I guess.

I am typing this is a size medium t-shirt (BEATLES SHIRT FUCK YES!) , my first one since I was 11!

Cosmic Bus said:
Cosmic, don't listen to the guys who'll inevitably come in and say you're too skinny, because a lot of people seem to think more muscle mass = better and sexier by default. Sometimes it pains me to see pic posts from guys showing their workout progress, and I think the middle picture is the best (first being fat/skinny and last being total buff/body builder). I'm always thinking "nooo you went too far! Aaaw". :lol Different strokes...

I think your body is very sexy. And how did you do it!? (rhetorical question ;)) I feel like I'm close to this type of body myself...but I never quite get just there where I want to be. I think if I lose like 6 pounds of fat and gains the same amount in muscle, I'll have the body I want. Sooo close, yet I never manage to get there. Bah!

Ace 8095

PumpkinPie said:
I'm 5'9" and about 125lbs and I have been forced to see a dietitian before because they thought I was not eating and were worried about my weight, I still have to see a doctor every 6 months to make sure I have not lost weight and I also have to take this weight gain shit because the doctor wants to see me at 160lbs. How tall are you if you don't mind me asking?
Squats, Deadlifts, Presses, three to four large meat based meals a day, and gallon of whole milk a day. I have to eat around 5000 calories to see any weight gain. This is all outlined in the fitness thread. Also stop seeing that stupid doctor.

Ace 8095 said:
Squats, Deadlifts, Presses, three to four large meat based meals a day, and gallon of whole milk a day. I have to eat around 5000 calories to see any weight gain. This is all outlined in the fitness thread. Also stop seeing that stupid doctor.

5000 calories? Shit, I feel like I'm going to explode when I eat 3000 :(

EDIT: I checked the fitness thread, it's really helpful. Thanks!

GT500

Neo Member
spetz said:

oldpicme.jpg

newpicme.jpg

"Ganing muscles ain't easy" >.> That's frustrating man. I am happy for you.

6.06 and 124lbs here. And I have already started building my body. I don't look like a skeleton but my weight is just too low for my height.

spetz

PumpkinPie said:
5000 calories? Shit, I feel like I'm going to explode when I eat 3000 :(

EDIT: I checked the fitness thread, it's really helpful. Thanks!

The basic way it works is eating 3500 calories more than you burn will gain an extra pound of weight. I highly suggest you NOT eating 5000 calories a day, instead I would try 3000, then maybe 3500 and trying to stay around there, maybe hitting 4000 if you can. Also definitely don't drink a gallon of milk a day, that's about the worst idea I could think of, lol. Talk about bloating.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Rengoku's pics are really impressive! It's like seeing someone unzip a costume and the "real" person steps out, heh.

PumpkinPie said:
How tall are you if you don't mind me asking?

I'm 5'4" Even when I was chubbier, the kids section is where a lot of my clothes come from. ;)

Souldriver said:
Cosmic, don't listen to the guys who'll inevitably come in and say you're too skinny, because a lot of people seem to think more muscle mass = better and sexier by default. Sometimes it pains me to see pic posts from guys showing their workout progress, and I think the middle picture is the best (first being fat/skinny and last being total buff/body builder). I'm always thinking "nooo you went too far! Aaaw". :lol

Well, yeah, it all comes down to personal preference. While I want to look like a scrawny guy with only a little bit of 'tone,' I certainly understand that many people prefer to bulk up with muscle during and after weight loss. That approach is unquestionably impressive from the effort/results standpoint, even if, like you, it isn't a body type I'm attracted to.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Cosmic Bus said:
Rengoku's pics are really impressive! It's like seeing someone unzip a costume and the "real" person steps out, heh.

I'm 5'4" Even when I was chubbier, the kids section is where a lot of my clothes come from. ;)

Well, yeah, it all comes down to personal preference. While I want to look like a scrawny guy with only a little bit of 'tone,' I certainly understand that many people prefer to bulk up with muscle during and after weight loss. That approach is unquestionably impressive from the effort/results standpoint, even if, like you, it isn't a body type I'm attracted to.

Most of the girls I meet prefer the style you went than the ripped one, although it might be the girls I spend time with but yeah... the majority I've seen prefer that to the ripped look anyhow.

That makes it a preference worth going for eh ;) haha

luffeN

Rengoku said:
Hi gaf, time to show some pics of my progress so far. Maybe it'll help motivate ppl.
Goal for 2010 is to start bulking up, I guess I will need a gym membership now...

that's nice. If I were you, I wouldn't want to bulk up. I would go the all around fitness type. Your body, as it is currently, looks brilliant

Top Bottom