• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Fireye

Tashi0106 said:
You guys ever hear of the Body Bug? Anyone have experience with one?

I've thought of picking one of these up for myself. There was a project to hack it, so you could get the raw data out of the unit, without having to pay for their monthly service, but I don't know where it left off. It's great data, if you can get one.

Found another picture I took when I was 18 (I know because that's the GTA4 map behind me) for a people index in another community. Bottom is one I snapped on a cheap webcam just because I happened to be in the same room.

eZBM9.jpg

Down from 250 to ~180-183 since February. (Really been up and down the past week)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
dope4goldrope said:
Found another picture I took when I was 18 (I know because that's the GTA4 map behind me) for a people index in another community. Bottom is one I snapped on a cheap webcam just because I happened to be in the same room.

Down from 250 to ~180-183 since February. (Really been up and down the past week)

Holy shit, 70ish pounds in 5 months is insane! Congratulations, man!

What have you been doing to lose all that weight? How low are you aiming for?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Gary Whitta said:
I now fit into my size 36 jeans that I haven't been able to wear in years :)

As a bonus, those may actually be 36", whereas today a 36 is really a 38-40.

Zefah said:
Holy shit, 70ish pounds in 5 months is insane! Congratulations, man!

What have you been doing to lose all that weight? How low are you aiming for?

I've been running 1.5 mile daily, replaced juice and soda with water, watching carbs, and practicing some portion control. Outside of that, nothing special really. No supplements, special diets, or regiments. I've only just really started getting into weight training these past 2 weeks. I've also recently taken to escalating my 1.5 mile runs to 3 miles.

I'm 6'2", I plan on dropping to 170-175.

Halvie

Banned
Lost about 35-40 pounds the last couple months. Must have lost a lot of leg mass cause I don't remember looking this chubby at my current weight (neglected squats/leg stuff for a long time...sure my legs are smaller than they were a couple years ago). Want to drop another 10, or so.

Upper body strength has held pretty steady throughout the weight loss (was using 100lb dumbells for bench 5x8 when I started, and am still doing the same), so hoping lean mass lost is minimal. Will be happy if I can rep with dumbells that are equal to my body weight(could always bench a lot more with a bar than dumbells).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
dope4goldrope said:
I've been running 1.5 mile daily, replaced juice and soda with water, watching carbs, and practicing some portion control. Outside of that, nothing special really. No supplements, special diets, or regiments. I've only just really started getting into weight training these past 2 weeks. I've also recently taken to escalating my 1.5 mile runs to 3 miles.

I'm 6'2", I plan on dropping to 170-175.

Very nice! Sounds like what I'm doing except the running and the portion watching. I've gone from around 225 down to 173 pounds since I started in early February. I've been doing a bit of resistance training just using my own body weight, but no cardio yet.

teh_pwn

duk said:
what do u guys recommend for gaining weight? not fat, but lean mass?

Bro science thread.

But I imagine quality meats, vegetables, potatoes, dairy products.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
duk said:
what do u guys recommend for gaining weight? not fat, but lean mass?

When you are looking to bulk, you are going to gain fat regardless. You can do a clean bulk (eating about 200-300 calories over maintenance) to gain minimal fat, but you will gain some. Regardless, it won't be that much and you should be able to cut it after your bulk.

To gain mass there's only 2 things you can do -

1. Lift heavy
2. Eat (and meet macros)

You can supplement all you want, but you just have to meet your macros. If you don't eat over maintenance you won't put on muscle, and if you aren't lifting you'll just put on fat. You must do both things in order to gain muscle.

To calculate your macronutrient and calorie needs, I recommend this stickied thread on bodybuilding.com. Some people might shy away from bb.com, but I trust the information I get from there because it is not only supported from scientific evidence, but you can see the progress of the people as well.

Dommel

I've been on a diet (yet again) since January (340lbs+ easily, didnt really weigh myself). First few months just cut back on everything we thought of as unhealthy (junk food, soda etc) but weight loss was very slow. Less than 2lbs/week.

We went to a dietitian who gave us a bit more structure on how and what to eat, what to watch out for (no word about carbs btw, she just focused on caloric intake) and weight loss was about 2lbs/week but sometimes we would be stuck for a few weeks before losing weight again.

Because of this thread I decided to start (just last week) with something low carb and follow the Atkins diet until I can figure out how to eat normally without relying on the shakes and candybars that come with Atkins.

We've already noticed a big difference in weight loss while watching our carbs which is of course very good (3+ lbs a week with 2-3 hours exercise a week). I'm 315lbs now and my goal is 265lbs at christmas and then 200lbs this time next year, that should be doable I guess?

I was never big on breakfast so the atkins shake in the morning is perfect for me, easy and fast to make and I don't feel hungry before noon. Dinner is also not a problem, we just leave out the rice or potatoes and basically eat the same stuff we did before.

Lunch however is my big problem at the moment. I'm used to having a sandwich for lunch, nothing special just ham/cheese + veggies on brown bread (no mayo or sauce). It's very difficult to find a good and filling substitute for this, especially during the weekdays when I'm at work and usually have to eat on the go cause I'm on the road a lot. And as far as I understand, bread in any shape or form is a no go?

I can get a sandwich on every corner but a salad or soup is much harder to get, any hints or tips on other substitutes?

Also, am I on the right track by starting Atkins? I feel I basically wasted 6 months because I only lost 35-ish lbs during that period.

Shaneus

On the right track, but rather than think "Atkins", just think "low-carb". It would pay to stay away from most (if not all) Atkins-branded products as they contain sugar alcohols that can count towards your carbs (I think) and kick you out of ketosis (I know).

Schlep

Dommel said:
And as far as I understand, bread in any shape or form is a no go?
I still have about three slices per day. However, the bread I eat is whole wheat and oat (9g carb, 2g fiber, 2g sugar). Quite a bit different from Wonderbread (13g carb, 1g fiber, 2g sugar), and of course using white flour. Even the 'good for you' whole wheat I used to have was the same as Wonderbread except one more gram of fiber.

I would help you on the substitutions, but I work from home. Only things I can think of are I'll get a burger on a wheat bun sometimes (no fries, ketchup, etc), or a bowl at Chipotle without the rice.

Dommel said:
Lunch however is my big problem at the moment. I'm used to having a sandwich for lunch, nothing special just ham/cheese + veggies on brown bread (no mayo or sauce). It's very difficult to find a good and filling substitute for this, especially during the weekdays when I'm at work and usually have to eat on the go cause I'm on the road a lot.

If you are on the road, are you able to pack a lunch in a cooler with an ice pack in it? You can then take along lots of different things that will stay cool for hours. Leftovers are good.
Some ideas:

Cottage cheese
Cut up some beef/chicken, throw it in a tupperware container with some lettuce and tomato
Boiled eggs
Tuna and mayo
Nuts and seeds
Peanut butter and a spoon
Sliced ham/turkey, sliced (real) cheese, mayo, lettuce, rolled up and make it fancy with a toothpick holding it together.
Cheese strings
Beef jerky, smoked salmon
Container of small amount of berries with whipped heavy cream on them
Veggies and ranch dip

Unless there is an emergency, I can't see why anyone would plan to eat out every day for lunch.

Schlep said:
I still have about three slices per day. However, the bread I eat is whole wheat and oat (9g carb, 2g fiber, 2g sugar). Quite a bit different from Wonderbread (13g carb, 1g fiber, 2g sugar), and of course using white flour. Even the 'good for you' whole wheat I used to have was the same as Wonderbread except one more gram of fiber.

I would help you on the substitutions, but I work from home. Only things I can think of are I'll get a burger on a wheat bun sometimes (no fries, ketchup, etc), or a bowl at Chipotle without the rice.

What brand of bread is that? That's pretty good compared to what I've seen round these parts.

Latest progress pic at 206lbs, taken today at a July 4th BBQ at which the meat-eating was unlimited!

e9ywdh.jpg

That's a Dakota prairie buffalo sausage, perhaps the tastiest sausage I've ever eaten. NOM.

Gary Whitta said:
Latest progress pic at 206lbs, taken today at a July 4th BBQ at which the meat-eating was unlimited!

[MG]http://i52.tinypic.com/e9ywdh.jpg[/IMG]

That's a Dakota prairie buffalo sausage, perhaps the tastiest sausage I've ever eaten. NOM.
I want your sausage inside me.

Schlep

fadetoblack said:
What brand of bread is that? That's pretty good compared to what I've seen round these parts.
It's from Sprouts: "Organic Wheat & Oats". Sprouts is only in Texas, Colorado, Arizona, and California, but I'm sure places like Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Central Market, etc carry something similar if there's not one near you. Kinda pricey at $3.99 a loaf, but since it's the only grain I really eat, I don't mind. The loaf always gets finished. :)

In case you're interested, here are the ingredients:
100% Whole Grain Organic Wheat Flour, Water, Organic Honey, Organic Cracked Wheat, Organic Oats, Organic Soy Oil (oh well), Organic Cultured Wheat Flour, Organic Vinegar, Sea Salt, Yeast, Natural Enzymes.

When I was at the store today buying some more, I did notice some bread that advertised using no wheat flour at all. 28g carb per slice, lol.

Gary Whitta said:

Congrats. That looks great; reminds me of home. Hard to get buffalo in Texas.

Achtius

Gary Whitta said:

[ IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/e9ywdh.jpg[/IMG]

Can I borrow your time machine?

Also grats, looking good :D

Schlep said:
It's from Sprouts: "Organic Wheat & Oats". Sprouts is only in Texas, Colorado, Arizona, and California, but I'm sure places like Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Central Market, etc carry something similar. Kinda pricey at $3.99 a loaf, but since it's the only grain I really eat, I don't mind. The loaf always gets finished. :)

In case you're interested, here are the ingredients:
100% Whole Grain Organic Wheat Flour, Water, Organic Honey, Organic Cracked Wheat, Organic Oats, Organic Soy Oil (oh well), Organic Cultured Wheat Flour, Organic Vinegar, Sea Salt, Yeast, Natural Enzymes.

When I was at the store today buying some more, I did notice some bread that advertised using no wheat flour at all. 28g carb per slice, lol.
Can you not find any bread without added sugar? Is that 2g of sugar added sugar as an ingredient?

Schlep

elrechazao said:
Can you not find any bread without added sugar? Is that 2g of sugar added sugar as an ingredient?
The 2g is from the honey. I've never found a sugar free bread that doesn't contain maltitol outside of a rye or sourdough. Rye is usually 1g unless it's especially sour. I'll do rye from time to time, but I don't worry too much about it.

harSon

Banned
I started my low-carb diet today, my day consisted of:

Breakfast:
2 Eggs, 2 thick bacon slices and 3 sausage links

Lunch:
Egg Salad w/ regular mayo (3 eggs) and a serving of Zucchini

Dinner:
Rib Eye Steak on the grill, basic seasoning.
Salad w/ cucumbers, grape tomatoes, avacado, cheese and a dressing from Trader Joes with 2-3 carbs/0 sugar per serving.

And nothing but water through out the entire day.

Is that alright?

harSon said:

Breakfast:

Lunch:

Dinner:
Salad w/ cucumbers, grape tomatoes, avacado, cheese and a dressing from Trader Joes with 2-3 carbs/0 sugar per serving.

Is that alright?
Was it delicious? Then yes :D

Just wanted to share that this was my absolute favorite thread on GAF back when I was lurking. The great advice and pictures here inspired me to lose 20 pounds. It wasn't a dramatic transformation, but I'm the skinniest I've been since my middle school growth spurt.

Anyways, I'm doing low carb, and what should I be eating most of the time? I've basically been living off of chicken, omelets, and blueberries. I want to branch out and have more variety in my diet.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
harSon said:

Breakfast:

Lunch:

Dinner:

Is that alright?

Sounds damn good! Your breakfast is pretty much identical to what I usually eat.

Lunch seems a bit light, but if you don't find yourself getting hungry, then no problem!

Dommel

ipukespiders said:
If you are on the road, are you able to pack a lunch in a cooler with an ice pack in it? You can then take along lots of different things that will stay cool for hours. Leftovers are good.
Some ideas:

Cottage cheese
Cut up some beef/chicken, throw it in a tupperware container with some lettuce and tomato
Boiled eggs
Tuna and mayo
Nuts and seeds
Peanut butter and a spoon
Sliced ham/turkey, sliced (real) cheese, mayo, lettuce, rolled up and make it fancy with a toothpick holding it together.
Cheese strings
Beef jerky, smoked salmon
Container of small amount of berries with whipped heavy cream on them
Veggies and ranch dip

Unless there is an emergency, I can't see why anyone would plan to eat out every day for lunch.

Thanks for the advice, I'm still figuring out what's allowed and what not. With this list it shouldn't be to difficult to pack a filling lunch next week.

I'll also try to find replacements for the bars and shakes asap. Good thing to know that bread it still okay just as long it's in moderation.

Achtius said:
Is it really okay to eat 2 eggs per day, everyday and not worry about cholesterol?

Depends....

Are you not overweight? Do you exercise regularly? Do you eat mostly good foods?

If you answered yes to one or more of these questions, then you're fine.

Yes, eggs are high in cholesterol. However, cholesterol is NOT inherently bad. And in fact, eggs are high in nutrients and protein that far outweigh any negatives of the cholesterol.

Hello everyone! My first post on neogaf :D

Is eating a lot of canned salmon ok? I am on a tight budget and don't want to waste a lot of money on food. I mean I won't get mercury poisoning or something right?

I wish I could eat eggs but I have noticed I get brain fog after eating them :(

Achtius said:
Is it really okay to eat 2 eggs per day, everyday and not worry about cholesterol?
I eat from 6-10 per day and I have a fantastic lipid profile.
Mr. Serious Business said:
Just wanted to share that this was my absolute favorite thread on GAF back when I was lurking. The great advice and pictures here inspired me to lose 20 pounds. It wasn't a dramatic transformation, but I'm the skinniest I've been since my middle school growth spurt.

Anyways, I'm doing low carb, and what should I be eating most of the time? I've basically been living off of chicken, omelets, and blueberries. I want to branch out and have more variety in my diet.
Beef in all its forms, fish of all kinds, including tuna and sardines, etc. Eat lots of leafy greens and broccoli. Nuts, like almonds and walnuts. Easier to think about what you can't eat, and then eat everything else that's not that :)

Achtius

AceBandage said:
Depends....

Are you not overweight? Do you exercise regularly? Do you eat mostly good foods?

If you answered yes to one or more of these questions, then you're fine.

Yes, eggs are high in cholesterol. However, cholesterol is NOT inherently bad. And in fact, eggs are high in nutrients and protein that far outweigh any negatives of the cholesterol.

Yes to all three, so I guess I am alright. Definitely have few pounds to lose, but I don't think I am too overweight.

elrechazao said:
I eat from 6-10 per day and I have a fantastic lipid profile.

Don't you get tired of them. I don't think I can eat the same thing everyday even if it taste really good.

Davidion

Achtius said:

I eat two pretty much every morning, and have been doing so for a few years now. Just got my checkup a few weeks ago and everything's fine. I do lift weights 2-3 times every week.

It's not really all that far fetched, but if you're concerned just keep up with some regular doctor's visits to make sure everything is in check.

Achtius said:
Yes to all three, so I guess I am alright. Definitely have few pounds to lose, but I don't think I am too overweight.

Don't you get tired of them. I don't think I can eat the same thing everyday even if it taste really good.
Eggs have always been one of my favorite foods, and I eat usually 4-5 for breakfast, and often take hardboiled eggs for lunch for convenience and deliciousness. I've been eating this many eggs for about 2 years now and like them as much as ever.

SniperViper said:
Hello everyone! My first post on neogaf :D

Is eating a lot of canned salmon ok? I am on a tight budget and don't want to waste a lot of money on food. I mean I won't get mercury poisoning or something right?

I wish I could eat eggs but I have noticed I get brain fog after eating them :(

Personally, I limit canned fish to 1 can a day max.
If money is tight, there are other cheap foods like chicken legs, and ground beef which are good protein/fat sources (and taste good).

Was looking at the omega 3 eggs at the grocery store today. Chickens are fed flaxseed. No thanks, I'll eat the regular eggs and eat my own ground flaxseed.

teh_pwn

Achtius said:

The body does increase cholesterol production to things like saturated fats, but very briefly. It adapts to what it needs.

The only cholesterol you need to worry about is small, dense LDL because that's the kind that's likely to oxidize and form plaque tissue.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-density_lipoprotein#LDL_subtype_patterns
http://atvb.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/short/28/1/187

Many labs don't measure this because of a long history of pseudo science revolving Ancel Keys that's just today beginning to be corrected. Beyond what I believe is the false concern over total LDL or total cholesterol, doctors also look at it for other things if it's wicked high or low.

But look for yourself. Try to find studies showing at the very least high correlation between total LDL or total cholesterol and heart disease. There are already studies showing no correlation with patients that died of heart disease.

Personally I watch my blood pressure, triglycerides, fasting blood glucose, waist circumference, etc. These measurements are done everywhere and there's little debate as to what is unhealthy.

ipukespiders said:
Personally, I limit canned fish to 1 can a day max.
If money is tight, there are other cheap foods like chicken legs, and ground beef which are good protein/fat sources (and taste good).

Dang that sucks! I thought I had finally found a cheap source of good protein since milk doesn't work for me (lactose intolerant). Can't eat eggs, canned fish or milk...great

is red cargo rice ok???

SniperViper said:
Dang that sucks! I thought I had finally found a cheap source of good protein since milk doesn't work for me (lactose intolerant). Can't eat eggs, canned fish or milk...great

Hang on a sec. I didn't say you can't eat canned fish. I just said I limit it to a max of 1 can per day.
The chicken legs and ground beef are cheap sources of excellent protein that taste great, and the ground beef I find especially versatile - fry it up with a variety of veggies.
Does lactose intolerant mean cheese is also out? Cottage cheese and cheddar are a big part of my diet.

ipukespiders said:
Hang on a sec. I didn't say you can't eat canned fish. I just said I limit it to a max of 1 can per day.
The chicken legs and ground beef are cheap sources of excellent protein that taste great, and the ground beef I find especially versatile - fry it up with a variety of veggies.
Does lactose intolerant mean cheese is also out? Cottage cheese and cheddar are a big part of my diet.

oh ok...guess I will try out ground beef & chicken legs. BTW I can eat cheese and yogurt but I don't like cottage cheese. I think greek yogurt is better

What do you think of chicken breast? Especially those from chickens with a wheat diet?

ant_

SniperViper said:
oh ok...guess I will try out ground beef & chicken legs. BTW I can eat cheese and yogurt but I don't like cottage cheese. I think greek yogurt is better

What do you think of chicken breast? Especially those from chickens with a wheat diet?

why are you concerned about the diet of the chicken? chicken breast is an amazing source of protein

Eteric Rice

K2Valor said:
Of course they are reducing carbohydrate intake, the majority of the (modern) American diet is 99% carbohydrates. But you guys wish to start an inquisition against all carbohydrates, which is ridiculous.

Fats, proteins - they are super important. You CAN eat carbohydrates and lose weight - and why not? It's a delicious food group.

I think once you're down to your ideal weight, you can have some carbs again. But at that point, you realize that carbs are the problem, so you'll probably only eat one piece of bread instead of two. Or, you'll eat less pasta and more meatballs.

Right now it's basically a civil war in the diet community. For a long time, Doctor Atkins was looked at as a kook, but now that science is backing him up, it's going to take a lot of arguing and what not to settle the issue.

It's the same as when Darwin said that we had evolved instead of being made from clay. A lot of people fought him on it, but many were eventually convinced.

SniperViper said:

I eat chicken breast all the time, but the legs are cheaper so for your budget I would stick with those.
From what little I know, grass fed beef/pork/chicken is best for nutrient value, although this can affect flavour. I'll let someone else handle that. I just buy regular chicken at this time. Unless a chicken is locked in a cage, you have little control over what it eats. They will even cannibalise each other.
Free run, pasture, free range whatever. If it's cold/wet outside, the chickens might not venture out to eat the grass that may be provided. Growing up, we fed our chickens table scraps, bagged feed, and these also had access to grass in their large pen. I've seen them eat a dead friend too (well, discovered after the fact).

Gary Whitta said:
One small advantage I have found while being stuck in ND for the time being is that amazing sausage and meat is never in short supply.

K2Valor said:
why are you concerned about the diet of the chicken? chicken breast is an amazing source of protein

I have gotten sick twice after eating chicken breast, both times it was a flu/upper respiratory infection. Both times I bought the meat from the chicken raised on a wheat/grain diet.

And eggs, I don't know why I get brain fog after eating them....

ant_

Eteric Rice said:
I think once you're down to your ideal weight, you can have some carbs again. But at that point, you realize that carbs are the problem, so you'll probably only eat one piece of bread instead of two. Or, you'll eat less pasta and more meatballs.

Right now it's basically a civil war in the diet community. For a long time, Doctor Atkins was looked at as a kook, but now that science is backing him up, it's going to take a lot of arguing and what not to settle the issue.

It's the same as when Darwin said that we had evolved instead of being made from clay. A lot of people fought him on it, but many were eventually convinced.
It's not a civil war in the diet community. Perfectly sane people can recognize that low-carb and low-fat are not in contention. Both work perfectly fine.

ipukespiders said:
Free run, pasture, free range whatever. If it's cold/wet outside, the chickens might not venture out to eat the grass that may be provided. Growing up, we fed our chickens table scraps, bagged feed, and these also had access to grass in their large pen. I've seen them eat a dead friend too (well, discovered after the fact).

wow that sounds pretty bad, we know for a fact that cow's get MCD if they are fed meat....

BTW if anyone else is interested in getting high quality whey protein I recommend Dr. Mercola's whey brand

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...c&field-keywords=mercola+whey+protein&x=0&y=0

I tried the "pro optimal" and "pure protein" and was happy with both. The cows are grass fed and no sugars or other bs is added to the whey protein. Google it for more info

fuck these chocolate cravings! it's been killing me for like the past week.. I usually manage to fight them off but GAH. I just made a mug brownie with some ON double chocolate whey lol

K2Valor said:
It's not a civil war in the diet community. Perfectly sane people can recognize that low-carb and low-fat are not in contention. Both work perfectly fine.
Low fat doesn't really work though, but other than that, yeah. It's also terribly unhealthy.

ant_

elrechazao said:
Low fat doesn't really work though, but other than that, yeah.
Maybe it doesn't for you. Maybe you prefer low-carb. That's totally cool.

Top Bottom