• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
elrechazao said:
I wasn't talking about me, I was talking about science and health, not just weight loss.
Cool man.

brb eating carbs and being healthy

The biggest problem I have with people trying to go low carb are just the ones who are informed on how it is done. How low carb are we going here? Is it low enough where fats now become your main source of energy? Are you doing a carb up? How much protein are you getting a day? Are you eating more greens or having a fiber supplement? Are you working out on this diet? How many calories a day are you consuming? Is this a diet or more of a lifestyle change?

I like going moderate carbs while eating around 2300 calories a day. Currently on a cut and have been constantly losing fat. I like my carbs so I'm going to eat them. I'm a fan of "if it fits within my macros, then it is okay" style of eating. Combine this with IF and so far, so good.

ant_

FallingEdge said:
The biggest problem I have with people trying to go low carb are just the ones who are informed on how it is done. How low carb are we going here? Is it low enough where fats now become your main source of energy? Are you doing a carb up? How much protein are you getting a day? Are you eating more greens or having a fiber supplement? Are you working out on this diet? How many calories a day are you consuming? Is this a diet or more of a lifestyle change?

I like going moderate carbs while eating around 2300 calories a day. Currently on a cut and have been constantly losing fat. I like my carbs so I'm going to eat them. I'm a fan of "if it fits within my macros, then it is okay" style of eating. Combine this with IF and so far, so good.

This is what I do. Calculate macronutrient requirements. Meet protein and fat. Fill the rest up with glorious, glorious carbs. Have been losing weight consistently.

Low-carb zealots are annoying. omg insulinz wil kill u

Enco

Gary Whitta said:
Does anyone actually like dark chocolate? I tried some 86% cacao chocolate, tasted more like 86% caca.
Haha I'm with you on that.

Really hate the taste of dark chocolate.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
K2Valor said:
This is what I do. Calculate macronutrient requirements. Meet protein and fat. Fill the rest up with glorious, glorious carbs. Have been losing weight consistently.

Low-carb zealots are annoying. omg insulinz wil kill u

And anti-low-carb-zealot-zealots like yourself are annoying, too. For millions of people across the world, yes, not getting their insulin under control will kill them. Are you trying to imply that it's a non-issue by making light of it?

FallingEdge said:

Your post seems to include a presumption that one needs carbs in the diet for some reason. I'm curious why you think this is the case.

Anyway, most "low carb" people are generally 20-100 g per day.
Gary Whitta said:
Does anyone actually like dark chocolate? I tried some 86% cacao chocolate, tasted more like 86% caca.
I love it, but I don't really eat sweet things much anymore, and so it tastes damn good.
Zefah said:
And anti-low-carb-zealot-zealots like yourself are annoying, too. For millions of people across the world, yes, not getting their insulin under control will kill them. Are you trying to imply that it's a non-issue by making light of it?
He's basically making a "well, I know someone who smoked for 40 years and didn't get lung cancer, so cigarettes are fine" type argument. I'd just ignore it.

ipukespiders said:
Was looking at the omega 3 eggs at the grocery store today. Chickens are fed flaxseed. No thanks, I'll eat the regular eggs and eat my own ground flaxseed.
Asked a doctor about this, was told omega-3 eggs are not worth bothering with if you take a fish oil supplement since the amount of O3 in the eggs is trivial compared to a concentrated supplement.

ant_

Zefah said:
yo mang, i'm not anti-low carb. i don't give 2 shits what kind of diet anyone uses. i just don't understand why low-carb people often think they are superior to other diets (in effectiveness)

K2Valor said:
yo mang, i'm not anti-low carb. i don't give 2 shits what kind of diet anyone uses. i just don't understand why low-carb people often think they are superior to other diets (in effectiveness)
science

Gary Whitta said:
Asked a doctor about this, was told omega-3 eggs are not worth bothering with if you take a fish oil supplement since the amount of O3 in the eggs is trivial compared to a concentrated supplement.

how much omega 3 is recommended for daily consumption? I remember I was taking Carlson Salmon fish oil last year but I stopped once I got flu twice in quick succession and heavy nose bleeding. Then I searched for my symptoms on the internet and saw other people also contracted flu after taking too much fish oil

this is the one I bought: http://well.ca/products/carlson-norwegian-salmon-oil_20805.html

I placed it in the freezer right after I received the package, the expiry date was 2014 IIRC

SniperViper said:
how much omega 3 is recommended for daily consumption? I remember I was taking Carlson Salmon fish oil last year but I stopped once I got flu twice in quick succession and heavy nose bleeding. Then I searched for my symptoms on the internet and saw other people also contracted flu after taking too much fish oil
I haven't read much about this, but I have read that the ratio is more important than the amounts. If you've cut back on massive amounts of omega6 that most of us get in our diets with shitty oils and whatnot, then you would need less.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
K2Valor said:

Because science supports it and does not support low-fat/high-carb.

Then you have the paleo argument that says that we, as a species, did not eat processed carbs for over 99% of our existence, and that, only after the agricultural revolution, do we see stunted growth and bad teeth, etc. in human skeletons. Now, none of that may be entirely relevant, but it definitely makes you stop and think (or at least it does for me).

Other than that, people who go low-carb tend to find high levels of success and effortlessly lose weight for the first time in their lives.

elrechazao said:
I haven't read much about this, but I have read that the ratio is more important than the amounts. If you've cut back on massive amounts of omega6 that most of us get in our diets with shitty oils and whatnot, then you would need less.

very interesting!! Can someone elaborate on this point?

Gary Whitta said:
What fish oil supplement do people take? I have the GNC Triple Strength stuff.

Try to research on the internet and find the best one. I would go for a pharmaceutical grade fish oil. Some of the ones I have tried and had great results with:

Dr. Mercola's (Neptune) Krill Oil: No fishy after taste, small red pills, I think these "cured" my depression and anxiety back in Summer 2007

OmegaBrite: This is a really high quality pill but it doesn't last long

I wouldn't recommend Carlson's fish oil as I have gotten sick twice after consuming it. I would really recommend Neptune Krill Oil! BTW Dr. Mercola doesn't used Neptune as his main brand anymore.

NomarTyme

elrechazao said:
I buy whatever is cheap, but I eat lots of sardines so I don't supplement a ton unless I'm eating less fish.
BEST way to get your fish oil is to eat the fish itself! I like King Oscar brand, you?

How do you guys cook/eat your sardines? I used to love them on toast when I was a kid but that's kinda out now.

Do the ones in a can come filleted or do I have to pick out little bones? Also, what kind of oil do they come in?

Gary Whitta said:
How do you guys cool/eat your sardines? I used to love them on toast when I was a kid but that's kinda out now.

Do the ones in a can come filleted or do I have to pick out little bones? Also, what kind of oil do they come in?
get them in water or hot sauce. Other kinds often come in soybean oil, which is bad. They are head removed and tail removed, and they are small enough that you don't need to remove the spine, which are really the only discernible bones. I used to pick out the spine, but I don't anymore. I literally can't even notice the bones in them. They don't even crunch. And damn full of calcium and vitamin.

I usually eat beach cliff brand.

oh, and i eat them on salads, mixed with eggs, plain, mixed with hot sauce and or mayo like tuna, pan fried, etc.

NomarTyme

Gary Whitta said:
How do you guys cook/eat your sardines? I used to love them on toast when I was a kid but that's kinda out now.

I eat it straight out of the can because if you cook it anymore you will probably kill off the omega 3 goodness.
The brand I buy is King Oscar and the sardines are cook in olive oil. No need to worry about the bones since its cooked and the bones are entirely edible.

NomarTyme

SniperViper said:
Where can I find the King Oscar brand in Canada (GTA region)? Or do you order it from the internet?
I get him at walmart, but you can also buy them at Amazon.

Yeah like elrechazao said, its great for salads especially dumping the oil on the salad so you don't really need to worry about dressings.

K2Valor said:

This is what I do. Calculate macronutrient requirements. Meet protein and fat. Fill the rest up with glorious, glorious heroin. Have been losing weight consistently.

NomarTyme said:
I get him at walmart, but you can also buy them at Amazon.

Yeah like elrechazao said, its great for salads especially dumping the oil on the salad so you don't really need to worry about dressings.

Alright cool, I will go search the local walmart for the King Oscar brand, too bad Amazon.ca sucks compared to Amazon.com :(

SniperViper said:
Alright cool, I will go search the local walmart for the King Oscar brand, too bad Amazon.ca sucks compared to Amazon.com :(
i wouldn't be too concerned with brand, as long as they don't have some funky ingredient, sardines are sardines really

SniperViper said:

Fellow Canadian, be on the lookout for Tenderflake brand lard as well. It's awesome for cooking.

NomarTyme

elrechazao said:
i wouldn't be too concerned with brand, as long as they don't have some funky ingredient, sardines are sardines really
The taste is different. I try other brands so far been mediocre at best, although I haven't try the cliff brand.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
threenote said:
What kind of beer do you guys drink?

I've been drinking light beer for the first time to cut down on carbs/calories.

Personally, I hate half measures, so I just cut out beer except for on the weekends. It was kind of hard at first, but I feel better now that I don't drink almost every day.

elrechazao said:

I am mostly concerned about eating farmed fish which swim in their own feces and don't live in a natural environment. Since King Oscar is based in Norway I am guessing the fish is caught in the wild.

BTW I went to this grocery chain called OCEANS near Shopper's World (by the Brampton Courthouse) and their small fish market area made me sick!! They had all the fishes, crabs and muscles placed in a congested square cage and the water was basically being recycled from one cage to the next. It was so disgusting!! Unbelievable

NomarTyme

I don't think they farm sardines.

Also here is a nice post about sardines that I stole from another forum. I buy the brislings.

There's 20+ species marketed as sardines world wide. Most are pilchards, true sardines, but not all. Organic only refers to the ingredients other than fish, like mustard or olive oil. So any sardines packed in water should be very clean.

Some of the best, like brisling, are not sardines, but sprats. These are very high in omega 3s and smaller than true sardines. Seek them on your tins. Norway, Poland, maybe Scotland is canning brisling. King Oscar is a good brand found in most grocers.

There's another excellent species, not anchovies, marketed as sardines, but not a true sardine, and I forget the name atm. Anchovies are a completely different animal.

Some herring is caught young and marketed as sardines. Omega 3s become more dense the older the fish and colder the water, making the young herring a bad choice if you have options like brisling. Some tins won't tell you though. They just say sardines and are allowed to get away with it. I can usually tell if it's herring after opening. This is typical of the rejuvenated American atlantic fishery. Even young herring is much higher in omega 3s than most fish and still very delicious. Some prefer it, so it isn't something to fuss about, unless you are adamant about a little more omega 3. Some canneries are canning sardines in fish oil. That's pretty cool, but you will pay for it.

Sardines have seasonal food supplies and are at their fattiest in the late summer and autumn. So if your tin or can has packaging dates this is good information for deciding on a brand.

threenote

Banned
Zefah said:
Personally, I hate half measures, so I just cut out beer except for on the weekends. It was kind of hard at first, but I feel better now that I don't drink almost every day.
I don't know if I can do that. I'm in my early 20s, so beer is a big deal.
KuGsj.gif

I quit drinking entirely about two years ago, probably the best thing I ever did from the point of view of about 20 different health factors.

Fun fact 1: Each beer kills about 10,000 brains cells.

Fun fact 2: Brain cells are the only cells in the body that are never replaced.

threenote

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
I quit drinking entirely about two years, probably the best thing I ever did from the point of view of about 20 different health factors.
Not even wine?

Edit:

Gary Whitta said:

That can't be true. I know long term alcoholism can damage memory, though.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Gary Whitta said:

http://health.howstuffworks.com/human-body/systems/nervous-system/10-brain-myths9.htm

"Not so much. Even in alcoholics, alcohol use doesn't actually result in the death of brain cells. It can, however, damage the ends of neurons, which are called dendrites. This results in problems conveying messages between the neurons. The cell itself isn't damaged, but the way that it communicates with others is altered. According to researchers such as Roberta J. Pentney, professor of anatomy and cell biology at the University at Buffalo, this damage is mostly reversible."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurogenesis

"New neurons are continually born throughout adulthood in predominantly two regions of the brain:

-The subventricular zone (SVZ) lining the lateral ventricles, where neural stem cells and progenitor generate new neurons (Neuroblast) that migrate to the olfactory bulb via the rostral migratory stream

-The subgranular zone (SGZ), part of the dentate gyrus of hippocampus.

Many of the newborn cells die shortly after they are born, but a number of them become functionally integrated into the surrounding brain tissue.

Adult neurogenesis is an example of a long-held scientific theory being overturned."

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Gary Whitta said:
I quit drinking entirely about two years ago, probably the best thing I ever did from the point of view of about 20 different health factors.

Are you sure you have #1 right there?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
K2Valor said:
since i don't have time to argue (going to go eat some carbs) here's a write-up (all supported by science) showing why low-carb isn't the superior diet (in all honesty i don't feel like any diet is superior, only the one that works for the individual)

Low carb diet enthusiasts claim their diet is supreme to other methods. They claim their diet offers a metabolic advantage-"metabolic advantages that will allow overweight individuals to eat as many or more calories as they were eating before starting the diet yet still lose pounds and inches" (Atkins, 1992). In addition, advocates claim overproduction of insulin, stimulated by high CHO intake, is the cause of obesity. Other claims include: low carb diets result in weight loss, fat loss, improved body comp, and improved health. Simply put, low carb dieting is superior to other forms of dieting, according to many low carb advocates.

Low carb diets have been shown to improve the conditions previously mentioned, but isn’t it true other diets offer some of the same benefits? And in some cases aren't low carb diets successful due to calorie manipulation and not some metabolic advantage? Or are low carb diets simply the way to go across the board

Low carbs and weight loss

Studies consistently show that weight loss is primarily determined by caloric intake, not diet composition (Hill et al.,1993)

In all cases, individuals on high-fat, low-CHO diets lose weight because they consume fewer calories (Freedman et al. 2001)

Alford et al. (1990) manipulated CHO content of low calorie diets (1200 kcal/d) to determine possible effects on body weight and body fat reduction over 10 weeks. Women in each diet group consumed either a low-, medium-, or high-CHO diet. The low-CHO diet was 15% to 25% CHO (75 g/d) (30% protein, 45% fat), the moderate-CHO diet was 45% CHO (10% protein, 35% fat), and the high-CHO diet was 75% CHO (15%protein, 10% fat). Weight loss occurred in all groups, but there was no significant difference in weight loss among the groups. Percent body fat loss, based on underwater weighing was similar among the groups. Alford et al. concluded, “there is no statistically significant effect derived in an overweight adult female population from manipulation of percentage of CHO in a 1200-kcal diet. Weight loss is the result of reduction in caloric intake in proportion to caloric requirements.” (Freedman et al., 2001)

Golay and colleagues (1996) followed 43 obese patients for 6 weeks, who received a low cal diet (1000 kcal), and participated in a structured, multidisciplinary program that included physical activity (2 h/d), nutritional education, and behavioral modification. The diet contained either 15% CHO (37.5 g), or 45% CHO. Protein content of the diets was similar (approx: 30%) and fat made up the difference. After 6 weeks, there was no significant difference in weight loss between the different diet groups. Significant and similar decreases in total body fat and waist-to-hip ratios were seen in both groups.

Wing and colleagues (1995) confined 21 severely obese women to a metabolic ward for 31 days. They were randomly assigned to a non-ketogenic or ketogenic (10 g CHO) liquid formula diet (600 kcals) for 28 days. At end of study weight losses were similar.

A portion of weight loss in the early stages of low carb dieting is due to water losses (Bell et al., 1969; Van Itallie et. al. 1975), however, the majority of weight loss in the early stages of a mixed diet is primarily due to loss in body fat (Yang and Van Itallie, 1976); other studies support this finding. Losses of protein and fat are about the same when following a ketogenic, or isocaloric, non-ketogenic diet (Golay et al. 1996)

"In the short-term, low-CHO ketogenic diets cause a greater loss of body water than body fat." (Freedman et al. 2001)

"Low-CHO diets are high in fat, especially saturated fat, and cholesterol. They are also high in protein (mainly animal), and provide lower than recommended intakes of vitamin E, vitamin A, thiamin, vitamin B 6, folate, calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium and dietary fiber." (Freedman et al. 2001). In these instances supplementation is required for proper nutrition.

That's as far as I got. I may come back and read more, but the guy's premise that weight loss is primarily determined by caloric intake is wrong and completely ignoring the intricate system in our bodies that regulates weight. Treating the human body like a closed system to apply the first law of thermodynamics is nice and simple, but it's wrong, too.

It's also interesting how all of his examples were of diets that restricted caloric intake heavily (1200 Kcal or less in all of them). I suggest you take a look at some studies that compare calorie restricted non-low-carb diets to unrestricted low-carb diets.

My favorite quote from an anti low carb zealot doctor:

When they proved that a low-carb diet decreases LDL, or bad cholesterol, while improving HDL, the good cholesterol, their detractors pointed out that the study followed patients for only six months.

When a two-year study found similar results, those in the low-fat camp still weren't convinced that eating so much animal fat wouldn't kill you in the end.

"There's no doubt that the Atkins diet will lower your cholesterol, weight and blood pressure and get rid of your diabetes, but then what?" asked Dr. Robert Rosati, the cardiologist who runs The Rice Diet Program Clinic, granddaddy of Durham's diet centers.

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/01/03/896012/irresponsible-doctor-says-fat.html#ixzz1R4loywXS

threenote

Banned
Zefah said:
Diet-wise, red wine will definitely be a lot better for you than beer.
This is definitely true, but aren't the benefits of wine exaggerated? Some people regard it as some kind of magic anti-oxidant-potion.

threenote said:
This is definitely true, but aren't the benefits of wine exaggerated? Some people regard it as some kind of magic anti-oxidant-potion.

You would probably get the same, or better, amounts of anti-oxidants from blueberries or something, along with a lot more nutrients and vitamins that aren't in wine.

Top Bottom