• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

I'm about to go to In-n-Out Burger. I going to test their workers if they can make me a Three by Three Animal Protein Style with no Tomato correctly.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Have a question about carbs on some lc tortillas I bought.

It says 11g of Carbs (7g of which are Dietary Fiber) and a net Carb of 4g.

Is this just marketing hogwash? Or is it really only 4g of carbs?

What are some good low carb substitutes for tortillas, hamburger buns, and hot dog buns? The hamburger buns I usually get have about 25 g of carbs (and the whole wheat aren't much better).

Mr. Serious Business said:
What are some good low carb substitutes for tortillas, hamburger buns, and hot dog buns? The hamburger buns I usually get have about 25 g of carbs (and the whole wheat aren't much better).

You can usually get whole grain oat versions or like flat bread that have less than 10g.
Or just use lettuce.
Lettuce Wrap Burgers are great.

NYR

suffah said:
Have a question about carbs on some lc tortillas I bought.

It says 11g of Carbs (7g of which are Dietary Fiber) and a net Carb of 4g.

Is this just marketing hogwash? Or is it really only 4g of carbs?
Well no - it is 11g of carbs, but 7 grams of those carbs are "good carbs" - carbs your body needs and are good for the body, thus, are normally subtracted when calculating actual carb intake. You care about your net carb intake, so technically, it is 4g of carbs.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
NYR said:
Well no - it is 11g of carbs, but 7 grams of those carbs are "good carbs" - carbs your body needs and are good for the body, thus, are normally subtracted when calculating actual carb intake. You care about your net carb intake, so technically, it is 4g of carbs.

Thank you sir, that makes more sense.

Now time to make some lettuce wraps for dinner.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
NYR said:

I don't know what you're talking about with the good carbs/bad carbs thing, but I'm pretty sure it's that, since fiber isn't completely absorbed or digested, you subtract the amount of carbs that come from fiber from the carb total.

I tend to avoid processed stuff completely, even if it has fiber, though.

Eteric Rice

elrechazao said:

"There's no doubt that the Atkins diet will lower your cholesterol, weight and blood pressure and get rid of your diabetes, but then what?" asked Dr. Robert Rosati, the cardiologist who runs The Rice Diet Program Clinic, granddaddy of Durham's diet centers.

What the fuck am I reading?

Eteric Rice said:

The equivalent of this.

noise-fingers-in-ears-001.jpg

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
threenote said:
This is definitely true, but aren't the benefits of wine exaggerated? Some people regard it as some kind of magic anti-oxidant-potion.

Yes, greatly exaggerated. Most of the heart health improvement is from regular alcohol. Problem is it hurts the liver more than it helps the heart. However 1 unit of alcohol could be better for some if the liver can handle it without any issues while also improving circulatory health.

Resveratrol is a very interesting drug, but the amount of it in red wine is a tiny fraction of what they use in studies on rats and other species to increase lifespan by activating sirtuin genes.

Alcohol stresses the liver nearly the same way fructose does. So if you have too much of either it would be detrimental to any weight loss efforts.

Anyone wanting a drink on low carb should try dry red wines like cabernet.

In general the pop culture health/nutrition field is just really stupid. They have no concept of a scientific study. Similar to wine is chocolate. You'll see these studies where they use cocoa to elicit health improvements and then you'll see headlines recommending regular, sugary chocolate to people "in moderation TM".

K2Valor said:
yo mang, i'm not anti-low carb. i don't give 2 shits what kind of diet anyone uses. i just don't understand why low-carb people often think they are superior to other diets (in effectiveness)

We should be considerate of anyone's approach. However from the diet trials I've seen, the most effective diets are:
1. Low carb
2. Bland food (carbs allowed)

The second is arguably superior. Here obese subjects quickly went to 200-400 calories per day with hunger as their only guide:
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2011/05/food-reward-dominant-factor-in-obesity.html

But I'm not aware of any products you could buy to do it. The best you could do is white rice and plain steak. Still not as bland.

Though it would be interesting if someone conducted a trail in which the food was bland and low carb. I imagine it would be the best approach because it would eliminate hunger, restore the body's fat setpoint to a healthy level, and allow insulin levels to drop to maximize fat mobilization.

They don't do enough diet trials in general with good controls.

Ripclawe

Banned
Today is cheat day.... not very good but didn't stuff myself. I got to stop eating watermelon, I pretty go nuts and end up eating way more than I should.

xxwyE.jpg

Shaneus said:
What do you mean by "bland", teh_pwn? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere before (I don't think) in regard to diets.

I'm guessing he means food with little flavor, and thus, little sugar and sodium.

teh_pwn

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
teh_pwn said:
Check out this link:
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2011/05/food-reward-dominant-factor-in-obesity.html

They did a study a few decades ago where they gave participants a colorless, flavorless substance that was 50% starch (not sugar), and people lost weight faster than I've ever seen without being told to consciously limit calories.

Such a fascinating test. I just wish there were more details about it.

It also makes me wonder why no one else has tried something similar since.

teh_pwn

Zefah said:
Such a fascinating test. I just wish there were more details about it.

It also makes me wonder why no one else has tried something similar since.

Yeah it's a shame how great ideas get lost for decades in research, or largely ignored. I don't know for sure, but I imagine it hasn't been paid attention to much because it's not in line with the food industry (which flavors and sweetens everything low carb or not) and because the government's stance is the USDA stance. Then again if this works I could see it being a unique product that could jump start a business. It may not be extremely palatable, but that's sort of the point; ie you only want to eat it when you are truly hungry.

harSon

Banned
Are Pork Skins really okay to eat on a low-carb diet, or any diet for that matter? Maybe I'm just using incorrect methodology to come to this conclusion, but I can't shake the feeling that it's not good for me no matter the lack of carbs.

harSon said:
Are Pork Skins really okay to eat on a low-carb diet, or any diet for that matter? Maybe I'm just using incorrect methodology to come to this conclusion, but I can't shake the feeling that it's not good for me no matter the lack of carbs.
They're ok to eat, but they don't have much in the way of valuable nutrients. I'd say they're pretty neutral. The protein in them is just about the lowest quality protein you can find, from what I've read.

Eteric Rice said:
You are reading the pathetic response of a person still trying to hold onto their conventional wisdom, even when they've accepted that the science does not back it up.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
So is there any benefit (be it to hormones, metabolism, muscles, fat burning, anything) whatsoever to doing low-carb dieting for a while followed by having one day where you just go on a carb-eating frenzy?

I ask this because I've been low-carbing for a while now but since today is my birthday, I decided to just say fuck it for one day and eat a bunch of carbs so I had a big plate of Chicken Fettucine Pesto as well as 1.5 pounds of mixed berry pie from Whole Foods.

I'm just curious because I've heard things about low-to-high carb cycling actually being beneficial, but I don't exactly know how.

Domino Theory said:
So is there any benefit (be it to hormones, metabolism, muscles, fat burning, anything) whatsoever to doing low-carb dieting for a while followed by having one day where you just go on a carb-eating frenzy?

I ask this because I've been low-carbing for a while now but since today is my birthday, I decided to just say fuck it for one day and eat a bunch of carbs so I had a big plate of Chicken Fettucine Pesto as well as 1.5 pounds of mixed berry pie from Whole Foods.

I'm just curious because I've heard things about low-to-high carb cycling actually being beneficial, but I don't exactly know how.
I hear anecdotal evidence all the time about a cheat meal helping people break a plateau, but I have no idea why that would be, or if it's true.

Shaneus

I've found in the past that cheat meals are supposed to help, though I'm not sure whether that's in regard to the usual calorie restricted diets or it applies to low-carb as well. I can tell you from personal experience that having a cheat day only a short (1-week) into a ketogenic diet will set you back quite a bit.

As you've been in it a while though, DT... you should be fine.

Domino Theory said:

Awesome!
My birthday is in October, and last year I wasn't low carbing. I called it "pie day" cause I ate nothing but pie for each meal all day. Various fruit/berry pies, and pizza (pizza pie, right?).
I plan to do the same this year.

I did 8.5 miles in 1 hour on an elliptical on 13/16 resistance and a 7/8 incline and then ate 2 peanut butter sandwiches for dinner. That was about 3 hours ago. I was feeling hungry again so I grabbed some tacos from Jack in the Box. I still feel hungry. I should have just drank a lot of water.

Jamesfrom818 said:
I did 8.5 miles in 1 hour on an elliptical on 13/16 resistance and a 7/8 incline and then ate 2 peanut butter sandwiches for dinner. That was about 3 hours ago. I was feeling hungry again so I grabbed some tacos from Jack in the Box. I still feel hungry. I should have just drank a lot of water.
eat satiating food, not food that spikes your blood sugar then makes you want more a little while later.

partime

344.jpg

Went from 185 to 132, but leveled out at 150.
When I was a skinny stick my dad set me aside and told me I looked like 'a gay', lol.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Jamesfrom818 said:

Yeah... exercise makes you hungry.

Carb heavy food also won't keep you satiated for long.

partime said:
Went from 185 to 132, but leveled out at 150.
When I was a skinny stick my dad set me aside and told me I looked like 'a gay', lol.

Congrats! How tall are you?

partime

Zefah said:
Yeah... exercise makes you hungry.

Carb heavy food also won't keep you satiated for long.

Congrats! How tall are you?

5'6"

My method, which totally rocked:

1. Cut EVERY meal in half (6" sub became 3. You'll get used to it)
2. No Dessert
3. No Soda
4. No Fried Food

After I lost a bunch I started heavily jogging.

Domino Theory said:

Overfeeding on carbs, while keeping fat low, boosts leptin, especially in long term low carbers.

Leptin increases satiety and energy output, so this is a good thing for losing weight.

About pork rinds: they contain a lot of gelatin, which is a pretty important protein source and good for joints and other connective tissue bits. Of course, a healthier way to get gelatin is through bone broths, and most pork rinds contain MSG (if you're concerned with that) and some are fried in vegetable oil.

NomarTyme

Price Dalton said:
Overfeeding on carbs, while keeping fat low, boosts leptin, especially in long term low carbers.

Leptin increases satiety and energy output, so this is a good thing for losing weight.

About pork rinds: they contain a lot of gelatin, which is a pretty important protein source and good for joints and other connective tissue bits. Of course, a healthier way to get gelatin is through bone broths, and most pork rinds contain MSG (if you're concerned with that) and some are fried in vegetable oil.
And omega 6.

elrechazao said:
Found this in another thread:

Look at these amazing healthy brownies
http://www.nopudge.com/images/nutritional_original2.jpg
"Indulgence without guilt!" FAT FREE ALL NATURAL
No Pudge Fudge Brownie Mix

I need to start eating this healthy food, looks delicious
Haha, saw that today too.
My cod liver oil doesn't have a milligram amount per capsule like I have seen mentioned before, it only lists vitamin A as 2500IU and vitamin D as 200 IU. Is this normal? It recommends 1 per day.

partime said:

haha. Gotta love parents sometimes.

Gary Whitta said:
Does anyone actually like dark chocolate? I tried some 86% cacao chocolate, tasted more like 86% caca.

Love dark chocolate. Though nothing too bitter.

Happy to be corrected on the science of alcohol and brain cells. Still glad I quit drinking though, in my late 30s I just can't deal with it the way I did in my 20s, and never having to wake up feeling like death really never gets old :) Obviously helps a ton with the weight loss too, no more hundreds of empty calories and liquid sugar going straight into my system on a daily basis!

Gary Whitta said:
Happy to be corrected on the science of alcohol and brain cells. Still glad I quit drinking though, in my late 30s I just can't deal with it the way I did in my 20s, and never having to wake up feeling like death really never gets old :) Obviously helps a ton with the weight loss too, no more hundreds of empty calories and liquid sugar going straight into my system on a daily basis!

Me and a coworker were doing some service work last week, guy gave us each a case of beer. I accepted it politely, and now it sits in my cupboard.

threenote

Banned
teh_pwn said:
Yes, greatly exaggerated. Most of the heart health improvement is from regular alcohol. Problem is it hurts the liver more than it helps the heart. However 1 unit of alcohol could be better for some if the liver can handle it without any issues while also improving circulatory health.

Resveratrol is a very interesting drug, but the amount of it in red wine is a tiny fraction of what they use in studies on rats and other species to increase lifespan by activating sirtuin genes.

Alcohol stresses the liver nearly the same way fructose does. So if you have too much of either it would be detrimental to any weight loss efforts.

Anyone wanting a drink on low carb should try dry red wines like cabernet.

In general the pop culture health/nutrition field is just really stupid. They have no concept of a scientific study. Similar to wine is chocolate. You'll see these studies where they use cocoa to elicit health improvements and then you'll see headlines recommending regular, sugary chocolate to people "in moderation TM".

We should be considerate of anyone's approach. However from the diet trials I've seen, the most effective diets are:
1. Low carb
2. Bland food (carbs allowed)

The second is arguably superior. Here obese subjects quickly went to 200-400 calories per day with hunger as their only guide:

But I'm not aware of any products you could buy to do it. The best you could do is white rice and plain steak. Still not as bland.

Though it would be interesting if someone conducted a trail in which the food was bland and low carb. I imagine it would be the best approach because it would eliminate hunger, restore the body's fat setpoint to a healthy level, and allow insulin levels to drop to maximize fat mobilization.

They don't do enough diet trials in general with good controls.
Interesting. Thanks for that write-up.

Sardines + Sriracha = Awesome

So, just got done with my first real day in a gym... well ever. Spent about an hour and a half doing a routine that a trainer made for me. It's a full body definition type thing.
I'm not sore... yet, but I can feel my muscles crying out "WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!"

PBY

Banned
AceBandage said:
Sardines + Sriracha = Awesome

So, just got done with my first real day in a gym... well ever. Spent about an hour and a half doing a routine that a trainer made for me. It's a full body definition type thing.
I'm not sore... yet, but I can feel my muscles crying out "WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!"
Care to post your routine? I don't wanna criticize right off the bat, but usually when I hear stuff like "full body definition" I immediately think that a routine is suspect.

NomarTyme

Gary Whitta said:
One thing about the King Oscar sardines, they are MUCH more expensive than many other brands, at least where I bought them.
Yep, paying 2.50 a can and I buy about 4-5 cans each week. Then again the other brands taste like crap compare to king oscars.

peterb0y said:
Care to post your routine? I don't wanna criticize right off the bat, but usually when I hear stuff like "full body definition" I immediately think that a routine is suspect.
I can't remember it all off hand, sadly.
It's all 3 sets of ten for various muscle groups on different weight machines at resistances that I can do for the full 3.

PBY

Banned
AceBandage said:
I can't remember it all off hand, sadly.
It's all 3 sets of ten for various muscle groups on different weight machines at resistances that I can do for the full 3.
3x10...machines... HNGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

PBY

Banned
elrechazao said:
The lifting snobs are worse than us low carb snobs!
I'm both- 2 headed monster?

Ace- I don't wanna criticize the workout too too much considering I don't know exactly what it is you did- but just looking at it, I feel that as a beginner there are much more effective ways to get your strength up.

I'd recommend reading Starting Strength (I know, I know...)

Top Bottom