• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

clav

omgkitty said:
Well if you'd like the numbers they are -

Cholesterol - 218
HDL - 39
LDL - 139
Triglycerides - 200
CHOL/HDLC - 5.6

I honestly have no idea what these numbers mean, but everything else was good.
Your LDL is out of control, and HDL is too low.

What is your diet? It seems like you're not eating healthy.

Do you do cardio?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
noire said:
Depends on what your eating habits were before, I think.

Sure, but if you're obese, it's those eating habits that got you to that point. People need to realize that before trying any kind of diet change. Most people don't eat too much or exercise too little. It's almost entirely what they eat that is the problem.

Salih

Hi Diet-GAF,

my first post here. :)
i started dieting mid-march this year. i am 23 years old, 6'2" tall and weighed 320lbs. Now i am down to 250lbs. my goal is at least 220lbs.

i was pretty much "big" my whole life - but i really got fat since i got 18 years old.
this diet was the best thing ever happened to me. getting so much positive feedback from family and friends everyday just makes me smile.

losing weight is easy and it is a shame that people think it is hard.

what i basically eat everyday:
Breakfast (8am): two slices of wholemealbread with low-fat curd, a whole tomato and some slices of cucumber OR 3 scrambled eggs with onions and tomato but without bread.
Snack (1pm): Fruits! Alot of them. grapes, bananas, peaches. Also smoothies.
Lunch (5pm): veggies + meat/chicken/turkey hen

the only time i eat carb is in the morning. the rest of day i stay away from rice, potatoes, bread and every other high-carb product.

and i am only drinking water. nothing else. sometimes an ice-tea but that's it.

and that's pretty much it. that's what i am bascially eating everyday for the last ~5months.
i never started counting my calories or how much fat i eat everyday blablabla. having a diet should be easy. i could never diet when i had to count calories and stuff like that. i know what is healthy and what not.

sure i sometimes get hungry very late (10pm). but if you manage your hunger in the late hours you will lose weight very fast. the first days were hard but after a week i get used to it. since then it is really easy for me to lose weight.

i also visit the gym every two or three days and i do a lot of weight-lifting. i also started using my bike to get everywhere (gym, university, etc.).

omgkitty said:

Cholesterol - 218
HDL - 39
LDL - 139
Triglycerides - 200
CHOL/HDLC - 5.6

Are those test for fasting blood test or non fasting?

If you did the blood test after fasting, that triglycerides number is horrendous and indicates that most of your LDL could be small dense Phenotype B ones that can readily oxidize and cause plaguing of arteries.

http://www.heartscanblog.org/2011/04/what-are-normal-triglycerides.html

Dr. William Davis posted:

1) When fasting triglycerides are 133 mg/dl or greater, 80% of people will show show at least some degree of small LDL particles.

2) When fasting triglycerides are 60 mg/dl or less, most (though not all, since genetic factors enter into the picture) people will show little to no small LDL particles.

3) When fasting triglycerides are 200 mg/dl or greater, small LDL particles will dominate and large LDL particles will be in the minority or be gone entirely.

4) When triglycerides are 88 mg/dl or greater after eating, then risk for heart attack is doubled. Non-fasting triglycerides in the 400+ mg/dl range are associated with 17-fold greater risk for heart attack.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
My return to losing weight is going well, peak weight is down over 10 lbs since I moved and muscle development is going well (my chest is gaining in definition. Ribs still stick out but that'll change)

I am going from a 7 day workout week to a 3 day workout week (I have a cardio heavy job to begin with) so I stop burning out. I have injured myself 3 times since I started the 7 day set (swollen knee, pulled groin, and last one put my back out of commission. Hopefully a stronger workout will do me favours.

I'm rocking 1400-1500 calorie non workout days and 2000 calorie workout days so it is going fucking well for me.

Srsly

Banned
omgkitty said:

Cholesterol - 218
HDL - 39
LDL - 139
Triglycerides - 200
CHOL/HDLC - 5.6

Anything greater than a 3:1 ratio of triglycerides to HDL means that you're likely insulin resistant. A 5:1 ratio would mean you probably have pretty severe insulin resistance, and if you don't get a handle on it immediately, you're probably going to end up being diabetic pretty soon. Your LDL isn't too bad, although just looking at the number doesn't say a lot. As the other poster said, of your LDL particles, the small, dense variety are probably predominant, which is bad news.

Given that you're insulin resistant, a low carb diet would be the best way for you to quickly bring your triglycerides under control, and probably your weight as well.

I am happy where am I but can I continue to eat like this forever or is it something that I have to wean myself off of?

And I get about 1900-2000 calories a day and run every other day.

Edit: I just remembered a scene in stepbrothers where Derek says he hasn't had a carbs since 2004

lsslave

Jew Gamer
DragonKnight said:
I am happy where am I but can I continue to eat like this forever or is it something that I have to wean myself off of?

And I get about 1900-2000 calories a day and run every other day.

Edit: I just remembered a scene in stepbrothers where Derek says he hasn't had a carbs since 2004

It depends on your age, until you're 40 you should be more than fine.

Once you cut down what you eat unless you gorge your body will stay pretty good at where it is. Just keep your nutrition up and you should be fine!

lsslave said:
It depends on your age, until you're 40 you should be more than fine.

Once you cut down what you eat unless you gorge your body will stay pretty good at where it is. Just keep your nutrition up and you should be fine!

I'm 20. Low carb, high fat and high protein. Cardio. Multivitamin daily along with fish oil pills. I'm a pretty big hypochondriac.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
DragonKnight said:
I guess I must just be really strong willed

I must be, too, I guess. If you are obese and unhappy, then I think that should be enough motivation to change your diet. It's not like eating low-carb is without its pleasures, either. Berries, nuts, bacon, steak, eggs, sausage, chicken, pork, cream, cheese, butter, etc. make for some very enjoyable meals, in my opinion.

DragonKnight said:
How many times do you guys eat a day? I go for about four times about every three hours to keep my metabolism moving.

Usually three times a day, sometimes only twice on weekends. I'll always have a substantial breakfast, but sometimes I'll get busy on weekends and opt to have an earlier dinner (5-6pm) after skipping lunch.

Srsly

Banned
I honestly don't believe will is at all a part of successful weight loss. I think people are given too much credit for their ability to control their impulses. Successful appetite control is really all about knowledge, genetics and environment

Zefah said:
I must be, too, I guess. If you are obese and unhappy, then I think that should be enough motivation to change your diet. It's not like eating low-carb is without its pleasures, either. Berries, nuts, bacon, steak, eggs, sausage, chicken, pork, cream, cheese, butter, etc. make for some very enjoyable meals, in my opinion.

Usually three times a day, sometimes only twice on weekends. I'll always have a substantial breakfast, but sometimes I'll get busy on weekends and opt to have an earlier dinner (5-6pm) after skipping lunch.

I noticed you've been on the thread for awhile. Are you still overweight or is low carb just a lifestyle for you?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
DragonKnight said:
I noticed you've been on the thread for awhile. Are you still overweight or is low carb just a lifestyle for you?

Went from 225ish in February down to 168 as of a few days ago. I'm hoping to get down to around 150 without having to change anything up.

Sethos

Banned
Hmmm, something weird happened the other day. I was a bit frustrated about my stagnation in weight loss and I also posted here. That night, I had to urinate really badly and had to get up in the middle of night, something I haven't done in years. I was then on the bathroom twice before I left for work, twice after I arrived at work and then 2-3 more times at work and a few times that night. I shed almost 4 pounds in liquid that day and thought to myself "That'll probably come back when I start drinking" but most of it stayed off and I just lost almost 4 pounds in liquid in one day ... Does that sound a bit freaky to anyone else but me?

Sethos

Banned
AceBandage said:
Sounds like a Keto pee.

Hmmm? Good, bad?

EDIT: After some googling, they mentioned dark, smelly urine which it wasn't. Some of it was clear and pretty normal. I do drink a lot of water, always have my 1,5L bottle around which gets filled one or two times a day.

Farooq

Banned
Sethos said:
Hmmm, something weird happened the other day. I was a bit frustrated about my stagnation in weight loss and I also posted here. That night, I had to urinate really badly and had to get up in the middle of night, something I haven't done in years. I was then on the bathroom twice before I left for work, twice after I arrived at work and then 2-3 more times at work and a few times that night. I shed almost 4 pounds in liquid that day and thought to myself "That'll probably come back when I start drinking" but most of it stayed off and I just lost almost 4 pounds in liquid in one day ... Does that sound a bit freaky to anyone else but me?

Are you having any other symptoms? Diarrhea is usually a symptom that your body is either fighting an infection or some other illness. The amount of water weight you lost does sound significant.

Edit: Also if it happens again be sure to hydrate yourself. Dehydration can be a major problem.

Sethos

Banned
Farooq said:
Are you having any other symptoms? Diarrhea is usually a symptom that your body is either fighting an infection or some other illness. The amount of water weight you lost does sound significant.

No, nothing. I feel fantastic and I haven't felt this energetic in years. So there's no symptoms of anything really.

Farooq

Banned
Sethos said:
No, nothing. I feel fantastic and I haven't felt this energetic in years. So there's no symptoms of anything really.

Well that is good news. Just be vigilant in case you do have a stomach virus or something. A virus usually passes in a week or two though. So no reason to be overly concerned.

Srsly

Banned
You can easily lose 4-5 lbs of water going keto. For each gram of glycogen your body stores, it stores 4 grams of water. Keto will deplete your glycogen and the accompanying water.

Sethos

Banned
Srsly said:
You can easily lose 4-5 lbs of water going keto. For each gram of glycogen your body stores, it stores 4 grams of water. Keto will deplete your glycogen and the accompanying water.

I'm still confused whether it's bad or good, all my google efforts have left me with mixed answers :p Keto, glycogen, I'm lost.

dejay

Banned
Yeah - keep your fluid intake up, see how you feel in a few days. If you're worried, see a doctor.

Low carb question - what's the go with milk? Should I use it for some of my carb allowance, or should I try an alternative like almond milk? I can make a fair sized milk coffee for about 10g of carbs using full cream milk.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
omgkitty said:

Cholesterol - 218
HDL - 39
LDL - 139
Triglycerides - 200
CHOL/HDLC - 5.6

Triglycerides are too high. If you have high fasting blood glucose you could be pre-diabetic.

If that's true, having HDL that low *suggests* that your LDL is pattern B, which is over 80% correlated with heart disease. Looking at LDL by itself and even ratios to a lesser extent is weak sauce. It doesn't prove anything because it tells you nothing about how much pattern B you have. It's independent of LDL levels. Pattern B LDL oxidize:
http://atvb.ahajournals.org/content/21/5/844.full

Blaming cholesterol is like blaming a firetruck at a burning building. It's a nutrient. LDL is the body's way of distributing it. HDL is it's way of returning it to the liver to be recycled. Deformed LDL pattern B, a lipoprotein that carries cholesterol and triglycercides, is the problem. They haven't quite figured out what causes pattern B, but they do ironically know that saturated fats stimulate pattern A creation and some data suggests sugar causes pattern B.

dejay said:
Yeah - keep your fluid intake up, see how you feel in a few days. If you're worried, see a doctor.

Low carb question - what's the go with milk? Should I use it for some of my carb allowance, or should I try an alternative like almond milk? I can make a fair sized milk coffee for about 10g of carbs using full cream milk.

I see nothing wrong with milk. I drink exactly one cup a day.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Saadster said:
So what do people think of popcorn (microwave, butter), is it bad, good, meh?

Just an FYI, the popcorn butter that you typically have with popcorn (or buy seperately) is actually just soybean oil. Buy a real butter stick and melt it!

@omgkitty: Go on a new regime where you have <50g of carbs every day for a few months. My Triglycerides prior to low-carb eating was 125 and my HDL was 31. A few months of low-carb eating and my Triglycerides are at 46 with my HDL at 42. My LDL went up but it's nothing to worry about and is natural given my increased fat intake. The same will happen for you.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
DragonKnight said:
I didn't feel like I got a solid answer so I'll ask again: Can I continue the low carb, high fat, high protein diet as a way of life?

If you want to. I don't think traditional starches low in fructose cause obesity. They might become harmful while obese, but they can't be the root cause unless all of Japan is bulimic.

Plenty of people had to eat low carb, low starch in order to live. Germanic and Celtic tribes in Europe during winter. Eskimos, Inuit in North America. Throughout the world during famine. It's more normal than getting designer fruit (compare google searches to wild fruit) 365 days of the year when it's only in season locally for a couple of months.

DragonKnight said:
I didn't feel like I got a solid answer so I'll ask again: Can I continue the low carb, high fat, high protein diet as a way of life?
Should you? Yes. Ought you to? Yes. Can you? Only you can say. The true reason to eat this way is to fix your lipid profile and overall health. Weight loss is an awesome side effect.

Doesn't mean you should never eat a potatoe or grain again, but in generalities? Cut out sugar and processed grains for life.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Once I reach my goal of 140-150lbs, I'm going to try reintroducing white rice to my diet and see what happens. I love white rice and it's really the main thing I miss since going low-carb (besides beer).

Toki767

Just curious, but when working out, should you do cardio or weight lifting first? I've been doing cardio first but everyone keeps telling me I should do weights first and cardio second.

elrechazao said:
Should you? Yes. Ought you to? Yes. Can you? Only you can say. The true reason to eat this way is to fix your lipid profile and overall health. Weight loss is an awesome side effect.

Doesn't mean you should never eat a potatoe or grain again, but in generalities? Cut out sugar and processed grains for life.

Exactly what I wanted to hear. I mean I'll have some cookies here and there but I needed a reason to layoff the Doritos and Cheetos anyway. And no more beer for me.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Toki767 said:
Just curious, but when working out, should you do cardio or weight lifting first? I've been doing cardio first but everyone keeps telling me I should do weights first and cardio second.

Cardio after, for sure. You're just using up valuable energy that could've been harnessed to lift heavier weights and reach new maxes.

I'd put cardio on a seperate day entirey and lower the intensity, too.

Sethos

Banned
So I was reading up on this ketosis, apparently it isn't bad at all if it's caused by diet, only if it's caused by other things like, lack of food. Just a sign of the body turning to fat instead of glucose for fuel and that's basically where you want to be and a great sign of a low-carb diet working.

Am I understanding that correctly.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
After a week of starting really simple HIIT training, I'm already seeing large increases in my endurance. So far, I'll have been doing is the following:

30 seconds walking -> 30 seconds of intense running (as fast as I can) -> 30 seconds walking -> 30 seconds of intense running -> walk back home.

So, 1 minute of high-intensity running per day for five days last week.

The first day my chest hurt pretty bad and I was totally out of breath, but as of last night, the routine wasn't painful at all. I'm going to try adding another round of 30 second high-intensity running for next week.

No idea if it's helping my weight loss at all, yet, but I certainly feel better.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sethos said:
So I was reading up on this ketosis, apparently it isn't bad at all if it's caused by diet, only if it's caused by other things like, lack of food. Just a sign of the body turning to fat instead of glucose for fuel and that's basically where you want to be and a great sign of a low-carb diet working.

Am I understanding that correctly.

I believe, so, yes. A lot of people associate ketosis with starvation and demonize it because the body goes into ketosis when you are starving.

DragonKnight said:

I reached goal (not weight, but bodyfat %) and continue to eat low carb, but I did introduce a little carbs around my workout window before/after and it has already helped with my lifts.

Holy shit, guys in your 20s that get bloodwork done? I'm 38 and can't even remember the last time I went to our family doctor. I should get it done for shits and giggles. Would be fun to tell him how much fat I eat to see the look on his face.

ipukespiders said:
I reached goal (not weight, but bodyfat %) and continue to eat low carb, but I did introduce a little carbs around my workout window before/after and it has already helped with my lifts.

Holy shit, guys in your 20s that get bloodwork done? I'm 38 and can't even remember the last time I went to our family doctor. I should get it done for shits and giggles. Would be fun to tell him how much fat I eat to see the look on his face.

I too did low carb to reach a body fat percentage. I remember you actually.

Zefah said:
After a week of starting really simple HIIT training, I'm already seeing large increases in my endurance. So far, I'll have been doing is the following:

30 seconds walking -> 30 seconds of intense running (as fast as I can) -> 30 seconds walking -> 30 seconds of intense running -> walk back home.

So, 1 minute of high-intensity running per day for five days last week.

The first day my chest hurt pretty bad and I was totally out of breath, but as of last night, the routine wasn't painful at all. I'm going to try adding another round of 30 second high-intensity running for next week.

No idea if it's helping my weight loss at all, yet, but I certainly feel better.

I like to do HIIT training on one day and then I just run for as long as I can on another day. My endurance has skyrocketed this summer.

Edit: I think my lowest recorded HR was under 60bpm but it fluctuates throughout the day

DragonKnight said:
How many times do you guys eat a day? I go for about four times about every three hours to keep my metabolism moving.

I have 4 meals a day at specific times, but that's cause I'm OCD. The metabolism stuff isn't true. People have been successful with intermittent fasting in fact.

Zefah said:

Are you doing any weight training as well?

dejay said:
I'm going to give it a shot for a week or two and see how I feel, and how it affects my weight loss.

Might wish to see it through a little longer than that to really get a feel for it... you might feel a little off for the first bit.

AceBandage said:
Homemade whipped cream is often pretty low in carbs anyway. And delicious.
My wife makes it, sometimes with lemon. It's very delicious and as mentioned pretty low on carbs.

We've agreed to cut our rice portion weekly to an even lower extent. So a lot of carbs I may have been getting from brown/wild rice should be reduced even more. Sometimes it is astonishing to see just how much is in a serving. I can finally get into and wear my 36 silvertab (though not quite as comfortably as I would like). Still working to get that pesky guy down. Seems to be the place where fat takes the longest to burn off?

ipukespiders said:
I have 4 meals a day at specific times, but that's cause I'm OCD. The metabolism stuff isn't true. People have been successful with intermittent fasting in fact.

Are you doing any weight training as well?

Might wish to see it through a little longer than that to really get a feel for it... you might feel a little off for the first bit.

Yeah it's really important to work out. I don't lift but I do body weight training (pushups, pullups, shoulder handstands, etcs).

Top Bottom