• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

DragonKnight said:
The alcohol can't be the culprit. That's the first body fuel to go. Don't tell me that I can't drink when I go back to school. Were you drinking beer or vodka?

drinking both beer and vodka. plus eating bad - pub food, fast food etc.

and then being hungover made me not want to workout.

alcohol is the problem in my case.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
DragonKnight said:
Poison, a fuel? Why can't I just have seven shots of vlad one night and just run the next day?

Exercise won't cancel out bad eating.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
DragonKnight said:
So you're telling me that I can't drink :(

You should avoid it if you can, but obviously social situations and personal pleasure demand some consumption!

I drink beer pretty much every Friday, but I try to limit it to just one or two pints for the night. If at home, I try to stick to red wine, but not drink it more than a few times per week and not a lot in one sitting.

Zefah said:
You should avoid it if you can, but obviously social situations and personal pleasure demand some consumption!

I drink beer pretty much every Friday, but I try to limit it to just one or two pints for the night. If at home, I try to stick to red wine, but not drink it more than a few times per week and not a lot in one sitting.

It will be a good lesson in learning how to socialize without alcohol

Me and the wife went to a BBQ tonight. Had chicken with no sauce... and took my own (to share) big bowl of garden salad with ranch dressing.
They had potato salad, watermelon, corn on the cob. I had extra garden salad.
Not awkward and totally fine doing low carb in a social setting. My buddy is in "the program" so booze is never a factor.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
DragonKnight said:
It will be a good lesson in learning how to socialize without alcohol

You said you're in college, right?

Depending on the type of people you associate with, that may be tough for you! Maybe try befriending more nerds, who tend to be more understanding about people's lack of desire to drink?

ch0mp

DragonKnight said:
The alcohol can't be the culprit. That's the first body fuel to go. Don't tell me that I can't drink when I go back to school. Were you drinking beer or vodka?
Exactly. What do you think is happening to everything else when it takes 12 hours to process all the booze you drank?

ch0mp said:
Exactly. What do you think is happening to everything else when it takes 12 hours to process all the booze you drank?

yep, that is why I have a beer gut 'cause I eat like a pig when I drink like a fish.

Fuck you guys. You're telling me I'll have to socialize sober!? But I don't wanna grow up

Edit: I wanted to use the okay.jpg but I wasn't sure if it's banned

SeanR1221

I'm not ready to give up my social drinking.

It doesn't help all my friends are fit and usually eat more and worse than me.

Oh well.

Shaneus

ipukespiders said:
Me and the wife went to a BBQ tonight. Had chicken with no sauce... and took my own (to share) big bowl of garden salad with ranch dressing.
They had potato salad, watermelon, corn on the cob. I had extra garden salad.
It's good that you can do that... I still feel a little ostracized when low-carbing it (though a mate's girlfriend is doing it now as well).

dejay

Banned
Day 3 today of the low carb diet (about 3 weeks in to the diet overall, which had minimal carbs in anyway). I was going great - I felt like a machine working out last night, had heaps of energy, but around 2pm today I started feeling hungry and by 3pm I got really crabby with everything. I didn't take enough to eat for lunch, and of course the snack machine only has carbs.

As soon as I got out of work I went to McDonalds and ate a double quarter pounder, sans bun. I started to feel better within ten minutes. So I went shopping and bought a kilo of beef mince and a kilo of pork mince and I've now got a low carb meat loaf going in the oven. I also bought a shit load of nuts. I'll make sure to take enough meat loaf with me tomorrow and I'll keep some nuts at work for emergencies.

I hope this quick drop off into crabbiness is just a transitional symptom - it was kinda scary how sudden it was. I'll have to apologise to one of my workmates tomorrow.

DragonKnight said:
Fuck you guys. You're telling me I'll have to socialize sober!? But I don't wanna grow up

Edit: I wanted to use the okay.jpg but I wasn't sure if it's banned

When I last dieted I'd drink whiskey and water in a tall glass. It would have the same water content as a beer, but a lot less carbs. Of course it's not ideal, but the amount of water you consume with it gives your kidneys a fighting chance to process it as quickly as possible. It's also a good thing that my favourite hangover food is bacon and eggs :)

Sethos

Banned
Thanks for the breakfast suggestions, will need to look into some varied alternatives.

Oh and it seems like I've just manoeuvred past the famous wall and my weight is starting to drop again. It did seem like it was a stage of Ketosis I was hitting this weekend and apparently, it must have helped. I was stuck at around 13-14 pounds lost for neigh on 2 months and the weight didn't budge one bit after I truly started the less-than-100g almost 3 weeks ago but now I've shot off like a rocket. Lost almost 3 pounds in less than a week and it's constantly dropping, my body is really shifting now.

Only annoying thing, it feels like my body is just really active - I'm full of energy and it seems like the body is just working constantly, even when I try to relax and get this buzz inside of me and can feel tingling sensation in my fingers, like something is happening. Heart Rate is steady but it just feels like the body is constantly burning fat now, can even smell it in my sweat, smells a tiny bit like burnt fat.

dejay

Banned
Well, I can honestly say that's the best meatloaf I've ever tasted - I wonder why people put bread crumbs in these things. I just quickly mashed up pork mince, beef mince, some eggs, some herbs and seasoning, a few splashes of hot chili sauce, some pine nuts and almond flakes (because I had them around) and put it the oven on 180c for an hour and twenty. Very quick, very easy and it's given me enough lunch food (or emergency breakfast food) for quite a few days. The fact that I'm not paying for ultra lean mince these days is nice too. I can quickly whip up a salad to go with it every day. This may become a staple as the cold meat loaf is great too.

Also I just had another great workout on the elliptical - I was progressing nicely before but it seems my progression has increased since my change of diet. I could have gone much harder but I don't want to damage my body and put my exercise program back - nice and steady. I've steadily lost 1.7kg over just the last four days. It's probably mostly water, but I'm finally down a belt size and any reduction is nice. I'm trying to maintain or increase muscle mass at the same time - only time will tell how it goes. The tendinitis I've struggled with in my Achilles for the last two years seems to be magically melting away too. Life is good!

Sethos said:
Thanks for the breakfast suggestions, will need to look into some varied alternatives.

Oh and it seems like I've just manoeuvred past the famous wall and my weight is starting to drop again. It did seem like it was a stage of Ketosis I was hitting this weekend and apparently, it must have helped. I was stuck at around 13-14 pounds lost for neigh on 2 months and the weight didn't budge one bit after I truly started the less-than-100g almost 3 weeks ago but now I've shot off like a rocket. Lost almost 3 pounds in less than a week and it's constantly dropping, my body is really shifting now.

Only annoying thing, it feels like my body is just really active - I'm full of energy and it seems like the body is just working constantly, even when I try to relax and get this buzz inside of me and can feel tingling sensation in my fingers, like something is happening. Heart Rate is steady but it just feels like the body is constantly burning fat now, can even smell it in my sweat, smells a tiny bit like burnt fat.

Awesome. Gives me hope for when I invariably hit a plateau - although the tingling and burnt fat smell seems a bit weird :)

Wiktor

dejay said:
Well, I can honestly say that's the best meatloaf I've ever tasted - I wonder why people put bread crumbs in these things. I just quickly mashed up pork mince, beef mince, some eggs, some herbs and seasoning, a few splashes of hot chili sauce, some pine nuts and almond flakes (because I had them around) and put it the oven on 180c for an hour and twenty. Very quick, very easy and it's given me enough lunch food (or emergency breakfast food) for quite a few days. The fact that I'm not paying for ultra lean mince these days is nice too. I can quickly whip up a salad to go with it every day. This may become a staple as the cold meat loaf is great too.
Meatloafs own :) Might I suggest trying this recipee:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYKqUGdc7rc&feature=fvsr
It's Moroccan spicy meat balls. It's purely paleo/low carbs and it tastes incredible. I love the idea of putting a raw egg into a mix of meat and tomatoes and then letting it get half-white. When the egg yolk mixes with everything...damn...yummy as hell :) I've been doing it very often with other meat and tomatoes recipes too.

Alright, my diet's already fixed with the exception of a few cheats every now and again, now to force myself to get up early every money for a walk down the street. Fun.

Edit: I think I'll tune up the bicycle once I get home. I don't think I've used it since early springs. A wipedown and air in the tires should be sufficient.

201.8 on today's weigh-in, which I was so glad to see after being stuck around 204 for the past couple of weeks. It's always great to break through a plateau. Must have been the bacon and butter-basted roast chicken I had for dinner last night!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Having a horrible weekend for food as I am moving to a new apartment and have had to eat out every day. I have been getting chicken breast at subway when possible at least.

As soon as I can get settled in I plan to re-kick off my low carb diet. From you all I know I need to get a lot of meat and I eat a lot of eggs as is. I was thinking of hard boiling eggs at night to take for breakfast at work, is this a good idea? Then I may add chicken to my salads for lunch to get more calories. Low carb is harder than it looks.

Oh, was also meaning to ask. On low carb (or healthy eating in general) you all said to stick to water, tea, and coffee to drink. Anyone have any easy iced coffee recipes for summer? Also what do you do for iced tea? All iced tea I find is loaded with sugar.

omgkitty

What's the general consensus on milk? I bought some and everything looks good except it has some sugar in it. I drank milk almost every day the last time I was on a diet and did fine with weight loss.

omgkitty said:
What's the general consensus on milk? I bought some and everything looks good except it has some sugar in it. I drank milk almost every day the last time I was on a diet and did fine with weight loss.

It has 13g of carbs per serving so I would limit myself to one or two glasses a day depending on how low carb you want to go.

I've just been spreading the low carb Gospel as of late lol. Quick question: do I need to eat vegetables? I get enough fiber and I get all the vitamins and minerals I need through multivitamins. Should I eat 'em to counterattack the higher levels of amino acids that I'm eating?

noire said:
What are you getting fiber from, the powdered stuff?

Fiber supplement 3x, flax seeds 3X, almonds, peanut butter

Edit: I have no problem eating veggies but I just always keep forgetting to prepare them with my meals

omgkitty

DragonKnight said:
Fiber supplement 3x, flax seeds 3X, almonds, peanut butter

Edit: I have no problem eating veggies but I just always keep forgetting to prepare them with my meals

Just buy some frozen veggies, and throw them in the microwave for about 4 or 5 minutes like it says on the bag and you're good to go. Very easy.

Sethos

Banned
Man, thank whoever for the invention of the salad dressing, especially the low-carb kind we have around here. I wouldn't be able to eat all those frozen vegetables and salad without it, swear to god, humans were not designed to eat this crap, eugh!

Sethos said:
Man, thank whoever for the invention of the salad dressing, especially the low-carb kind we have around here. I wouldn't be able to eat all those frozen vegetables and salad without it, swear to god, humans were not designed to eat this crap, eugh!
One of the great things about low-carb is that all the best, creamy salad dressings - ranch, blue cheese, etc - are low carb!

Gary Whitta said:
One of the great things about low-carb is that all the best, creamy salad dressings - ranch, blue cheese, etc - are low carb!
But you should be careful with those too. They are mostly made from soy oil. If you go crazy with those, you are taking in way too much Omega 6.

Also, almost every single one of them has sugar added. Sucks.

I'd gladly take in some glucose, if I can skip any pure fructose.

TheExodu5

Banned
I go easy on the dressing. Creamy dressings are ridiculously calorie high, and don't really feel filling at all.

I just put a bit of Italian dressing on, now.

Sethos

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
I go easy on the dressing. Creamy dressings are ridiculously calorie high, and don't really feel filling at all.

You don't really eat dressing to get full, you eat dressing to hide the nasty taste of vegetables and salads and they are the filler meals :p

omgkitty

TheExodu5 said:

If you go and look at some of the dressings in the fresh vegetables and fruits section in the grocery, you can find some without sugar added. I bought some Ranch yesterday with no sugar and less carbs than the fat free version.

TheExodu5

Banned
SuperAngelo64 said:
I'm fucking sick of low carb already, but it's working well.

I'm going off my diet tomorrow though, gonna have dim sum.

Give yourself a cheat day once in a while. I find it easiest to eat as plain as possible most of the week, and then just give yourself 1-2 cheat meals where you eat something else, without worrying too much about the contents (though try to keep the portions reasonable).

Okay: Almonds, cottage cheese, ground flax seeds, and mustard greens all mixed together. I like it. Mustard greens are spicy though but this time I'm having them cold. It reduces the "spice" effect.

TheExodu5 said:
Give yourself a cheat day once in a while. I find it easiest to eat as plain as possible most of the week, and then just give yourself 1-2 cheat meals where you eat something else, without worrying too much about the contents (though try to keep the portions reasonable).

I try to work a cheat day in about once or twice a month.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
This is going to be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyways :p

On the back of the bacon I buy, it says I can microwave them for 1 minute each slice, but if I put like 5 slices in there at once, would I have to microwave it for 5 minutes? Or is the time not proportionate to the number of slices in this case?

omgkitty said:
If you go and look at some of the dressings in the fresh vegetables and fruits section in the grocery, you can find some without sugar added. I bought some Ranch yesterday with no sugar and less carbs than the fat free version.
I just make my own dressing these days.

Red wine vinegar
A clove garlic, minced
A dash of dijon mustard
Salt
Pepper
Extra virgin olive oil

It tastes great and is practically carb-free.

Domino Theory said:
On the back of the bacon I buy, it says I can microwave them for 1 minute each slice, but if I put like 5 slices in there at once, would I have to microwave it for 5 minutes?

Sorry, but I lol'd.

Top Bottom