• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
noire said:
There's probably some adjustment for the added volume, but not 1 minute per. My guess is ~2-3 minutes total. Is it precooked and just thawing/warming, or is it actually cooking in the microwave?

Actually cooking. I've been pan frying them with their own grease, but that takes too long and I always end up screwing it up and burning them so I tried putting one slice in the microwave for a minute and twenty seconds and it came out perfect.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Domino Theory said:
On the back of the bacon I buy, it says I can microwave them for 1 minute each slice, but if I put like 5 slices in there at once, would I have to microwave it for 5 minutes? Or is the time not proportionate to the number of slices in this case?

Honestly, diet or not, the cook in me has to vehemently object to the huge disservice you're doing to bacon by microwaving it. Put a wire rack in a sheet pan (or just line the pan with foil if you're insistent on eating all that grease), lay an entire package of bacon out on the rack, and bake it at 400° for 15-20 minutes. Refrigerate the unused strips in a bag and they can be reheated in about 10 seconds. The taste and texture is light years beyond what you'd get just zapping the raw meat.

I had a similarly horrified reaction to this a few days ago:
ipukespiders said:
I fry just about everything, and use so much lard and butter I don't know how much gets absorbed into the food vs left in the pan for the next meal. I was frying some eggs and sausages for lunch today, and the eggs really soak up the lard, so I find myself dumping another scoop in.
I mean, Jesus Christ, you're just destroying the wonderful natural flavors and textures by treating it like this. It literally makes me gag to imagine eating meals that are drowning in lard. Eggs, and certainly sausage, don't need all that to cook properly. If it's a matter of cramming as much fat as possible into your body, there must be better, more sensible ways of doing so without making such a mockery out of simple pleasures of eating.

Fireye

TheExodu5 said:
I go easy on the dressing. Creamy dressings are ridiculously calorie high, and don't really feel filling at all.

I just put a bit of Italian dressing on, now.

I've been making "Taco Salads" pretty often in the past two months.
* 1bag of lettuce
* ~4oz of full fat sour cream
* ~2-3oz of salsa
* Ground Beef cooked with taco seasonings (if I'm lazy, actual spices if I'm not)

Combine the salsa and sour cream for a nice salsa-ish dressing. Not as smooth and creamy as regular dressing, but you know just what the hell went in to it.

Cosmic Bus said:
I mean, Jesus Christ, you're just destroying the wonderful natural flavors and textures by treating it like this. It literally makes me gag to imagine eating meals that are drowning in lard. Eggs, and certainly sausage, don't need all that to cook properly. If it's a matter of cramming as much fat as possible into your body, there must be better, more sensible ways of doing so without making such a mockery out of simple pleasures of eating.

LOL!

Lard soaks so nicely into fried/scrambled eggs, it's heavenly. Ground beef, bell peppers and onions caramelized in butter.
Holy shit, in honor of your post, I'm going hog wild tonight for supper!

Who's with me?

ipukespiders said:
LOL!

Lard soaks so nicely into fried/scrambled eggs, it's heavenly. Ground beef, bell peppers and onions caramelized in butter.
Holy shit, in honor of your post, I'm going hog wild tonight for supper!

Who's with me?
You have my spatula

DragonKnight said:
I'm craving something sweet. What's good?
photo-3.jpeg

4carbs
It's not really yogurt, more like gelatin whey protein.

ch0mp

DragonKnight said:
What kind of sausage do you guys eat, pork? Nutritiondata.self.com is telling me that they have trans fat but my package says 0g
Beef/dairy etc have trans fat in them. It's only the artificial kind you're worried about. Look at the ingredients.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
DragonKnight said:
What kind of sausage do you guys eat, pork? Nutritiondata.self.com is telling me that they have trans fat but my package says 0g

Trans fat from animals are okay. Stay the FUCK away from artificial trans fat (hydrogenated oils of any kind).

Basically stay away from this aisle (took it at my local Target for WeihtLossGAF):
ghnZ3.jpg

oatmeal said:
Neither.

We shop at Smiths and we buy Kroger stuff almost exclusively :)

Kroger is an awesome store. They have the best selection of fresh produce and some great weightloss/health stuffs.
Found giant bags of Flax Seed for cheap.

cuevas said:
I use PAM.

Switch to butter. PAM is just soybean oil.

Srsly

Banned
Yesterday I was over at a friend's house and he was looking in the pantry when I noticed a jar of vegetable shortening. I looked on the back label and sure enough there were trans fats in it. I decided to open the lid and take a big whiff of it and...it smelled like the most vile, artificial, deathly food product ever. How people ever thought this shit was a good idea to eat is beyond me. On the other hand, butter, coconut oil, olive oil, lard, etc. generally smell pleasant to neutral.

Srsly

Banned
AceBandage said:
4carbs
It's not really yogurt, more like gelatin whey protein.

Those are pretty good, and only 33 cents each, so I usually load up on them when I go to Kroger, which is the closest supermarket to me (I prefer HEB for their grass-fed meat, but the closest one is a good bit further). My favorites are vanilla chai and strawberry banana

Srsly

Banned
elrechazao said:
wal mart has cheap chorizo by the tortillas in the cold section. They're pork, and made with cheeks, and all sorts of other parts, but no bad ingredients. 88 cents for a nice brick of meat. I buy tons of them.

edit: here - ingredients look gross, but it's so good. and 88 cents at my walmart.
http://grocery.walmart.com/usd-esto...5027787101&aisleid=1255027787241&startValue=0

"Textured Soy Flour"

Sigh. Why can't they just not have that? Is there any commercial benefit to adding a small amount of textured soy flour to an animal product?

Srsly said:
"Textured Soy Flour"

Sigh. Why can't they just not have that? Is there any commercial benefit to adding a small amount of textured soy flour to an animal product?
yeah, it sucks, but it's a tiny amount for binding. Given how much fat is in these, I live with it. Especially beause I'm cheap, and they taste great. Compared to the corn syrup solids and sugar found in most sausage, it's the best one can hope for.

Srsly

Banned
I might stockpile on some of that chorizo. What's godly is chorizo fried in bacon grease and eggs fried in the chorizo flavored bacon grease.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Okay so I just urinated and it was orange. Did some reach and found out that beta carotene (Vitamin A) consumption can do this. Is it alright to continue taking it or should I take it just every few days or something?

SeanR1221

Is extra virgin olive oil a no no?

---

Was buying ketchup tonight. Fuck me even that has HFCS in everything but the "natural" one which cost twice as much.

*sigh*

Urine is basically just the expulsion of things your body can't use.
It'll turn orange with beta carotene and red with betanin (freaked me out the first time I had too many beet chips!).
For the most part, it's fine, but I don't think it's something you should do constantly.

SeanR1221 said:
Is extra virgin olive oil a no no?

---

Was buying ketchup tonight. Fuck me even that has HFCS in everything but the "natural" one which cost twice as much.

*sigh*

Olive Oil is perfect, but oxidizes at a low temperature, so it makes cooking with it hard.
Heinz makes a "sugar free" ketchup, but it's made with artificial sweeteners. Just switch to mustard and Sriracha sauce.
:p

SeanR1221

BertramCooper said:
Extra virgin olive oil is awesome, and it's good for you. So no worries.

Ah good.

I threw a little in with my chicken cutlets tonight and tossed in a bag of frozen green peppers and mushrooms. So good.

SeanR1221 said:
Ah good.

I threw a little in with my chicken cutlets tonight and tossed in a bag of frozen green peppers and mushrooms. So good.
I use EVOO at every single meal. It's awesome.

In other news, my newest dinner of choice is bacon wrapped chicken breast.

A fresh chicken breast + 3-4 slices of bacon + a drizzle of EVOO and salt/pepper = pure awesomeness

I pair it with a spinach and romaine salad with some sliced Cabot cheddar cheese and the homemade dressing I posted above. It's an awesome meal. I loves it.

zankara

BertramCooper said:

A fresh chicken breast + 3-4 slices of bacon + a drizzle of EVOO and salt/pepper = pure awesomeness
I pair it with a spinach and romaine salad with some sliced Cabot cheddar cheese and the homemade dressing I posted above. It's an awesome meal. I loves it.

Sounds delicious. How do you cook it?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
BertramCooper said:

Sounds like a tasty dinner. I'll try that tomorrow or so!

I know we low-carbers are not supposed to worry about calories but I still feel a bit guilty on days like today where I wind up having a massive dinner (12oz ribeye and creamed spinach) that puts me close to 3000 calories for the day. I was still under 50g carbs for the day, do I really have no reason to feel guilty at all?

My wife used 6 egg whites on a low carb baking recipe, so for supper I had:

6 egg yolks fried up in lard
bowl of garden salad with ranch
small amount of strawberries/blueberries in a bowl of whipping cream

Gary Whitta said:
I know we low-carbers are not supposed to worry about calories but I still feel a bit guilty on days like today where I wind up having a massive dinner (12oz ribeye and creamed spinach) that puts me close to 3000 calories for the day. I was still under 50g carbs for the day, do I really have no reason to feel guilty at all?

I know from reading on the lowcarbfriends forums (just a lurker) that a lot of people on there do watch their calories. It seems like a lot of posters on there are middle aged women, if that matters.
I, personally, don't.

I have an appointment with a personal trainer tomorrow who's going to get me started with a weights/strength routine so hopefully that helps as I continue toward my goal. Currently at 202lbs on my way to an ideal 175-180.

Domino Theory said:
Okay so I just urinated and it was orange. Did some reach and found out that beta carotene (Vitamin A) consumption can do this. Is it alright to continue taking it or should I take it just every few days or something?

There's really no point in taking beta carotene supplements. Just eat a few carrots or sweet potatoes. Your piss turning colors means you're just supplementing your urine and wasting the rest. What you want is retinol, or pre-formed vitamin A. That's generally only found in animal foods, like liver or egg yolks.

Gary Whitta said:

I myself strive for 2000 calories a day. And I'm a poor college student. I do it with eggs, flax seeds, almonds, peanut butter, burger patties, cottage cheese, shredded cheese, and whatever else I come up with. I can't wait to go back to school to have more options.

Sethos

Banned
Gary Whitta said:

Hmm, thought we actually did have to combine it with a moderate calorie amount as well? Just like in Fat Head, he sticks to under 2000 calories a day, that's what I'm trying to do.

Sethos said:
Hmm, thought we actually did have to combine it with a moderate calorie amount as well? Just like in Fat Head, he sticks to under 2000 calories a day, that's what I'm trying to do.

Do you run at all? I'm a hypochondriac so I run to keep my cardiovascular health up

I guess this is less of a weight loss question and more of a general health one, but I'd love some opinions.

I seem to get dehydrated really quickly. Maybe not to the point where it affects me physically, but even if I drink tons of water (100 ounces plus) in a relatively short span of time, I might still be thirsty. My piss is also yellow most of the time. I'm not sure if it's just summer or anything, but I seem to have an almost unquenchable thirst.

Water-drinking GAF advice?

SeanR1221

Yeah, I also stick to about 2000 calories. Especially since you haven't started an exercise program yet...how physically active are you?

Top Bottom