• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

omgkitty

Buckethead said:
Breakfast - Honey Bunches of Oats Cereal everyday
Lunch - Turkey Sandwich most days, if not: Chicken salads
Dinner - Mostly chicken (veg: green beans or broccoli), other things: 85/15 burger, occasional amount of bread
Snacks - Blueberries/raspberries, Carrots, seldomly popcorn
Misc: Ketchup, Caesar Dressing
Post Workout - Eggs

Carbs average 125-135g

Been keeping track of all quantities. Was running 2-3 miles a day, did less endurance added in sprints. Lifting 3 times/week.

If you can drop your carbs in half, try that.
If honey bunches of oats keeps you sane, then have it with the berries after your workout.
Your lunch is turkey sandwich or chicken salad - I recommend the chicken salad (this cuts the bread out).
For the "seldomly popcorn" change that to peanuts/almonds/walnuts.
If you can drop the ketchup, do so.
I don't see any liquids listed, but keep to just water (and some whole milk if you like). If you are doing the fruit juices, then drop them.
Try to stay away from artificial sweeteners, then can stall some people.
I don't know what is is caesar dressing, I use ranch even though it has crappy soybean oil.

ipukespiders said:
If you can drop your carbs in half, try that.
Yeah.

I just don't get why this diet (and workout routine) worked swimmingly for 3 months and now brick wall.

Only things I drink are Diet 7Up and water so I'll scale back the D7U.

painey

came to school in the usa at 180bs.
1st semester put on 20lbs. 200lb total
2nd semester put on 10lbs. 210lb total.
first half of summer semester put on 15lb. 225lb total.
rest of summer semester lost 20lb. 205lb total.

NEED to get back down to AT LEAST 180lb. Half my clothes I brought to the States don't even fit.

Cafeteria with all you can eat food destroys me, and when we go out unlimited refills is my downfall. This time next year I want to be 160lb heaviest.

painey said:

NEED to get back down to AT LEAST 180lb. Half my clothes I brought to the States don't even fit.

Cafeteria with all you can eat food destroys me, and when we go out unlimited refills is my downfall. This time next year I want to be 160lb heaviest.

Cafeteria diets have been shown in rat studies to cause rapid weight gain and obesity. They're delicious, but horribly unhealthy. If you can't help yourself, try to get some chicken and a salad, and get diet soda (this is if you're stuck with cafeteria food). Also, make sure to buy healthy stuff for your room that you can heat up quickly (sausages are great for this).

SeanR1221

painey said:

I survived in college by...

Eggs and cereal for breakfast (if it were today, change cereal to bacon).

Turkey/chicken sandwich and salad or veggies for lunch.

Grilled chicken and veggies and fruits for dinner.

I never touched things like cheesesteaks, pasta, soups, etc.

High school over 20 years ago:

Start the day with no breakfast.
Cafeteria : Eat a cup of soup (soup of the day) unless it was some sort of chowder, yuck!, 2 lemon filled donuts, and a small "bag" of milk.
Supper onwards it was eat all night (carbs of course).
If I could go back in time and slap myself.

Buckethead said:
I just don't get why this diet (and workout routine) worked swimmingly for 3 months and now brick wall.

Ignore the scale. The scale hates you and the gravity has been compromised in your bathroom!

I started in January and did not look once at the scale until around 3 weeks into April. I then checked it every week, but haven't lately. I just look in the mirror... okay, actually a little obsessed with looking in the mirror, doing the old "ab flash" everytime I go to take a piss.

Can you post the tl;dr version?

Edit: Read it. Don't know what to believe anymore. To be honest, I only became overweight when I ate like 5000-6000 cals a day for my bulk. Before that I couldn't really put on weight and I was not eating healthy in the slightest.

Edit 2: Still that was a crazy amount of carbs on my bulk though...at least 450-500g a day.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
DragonKnight said:
Can you post the tl;dr version?

Edit: Read it. Don't know what to believe anymore. To be honest, I only became overweight when I ate like 5000-6000 cals a day for my bulk. Before that I couldn't really put on weight and I was not eating healthy in the slightest.

Edit 2: Still that was a crazy amount of carbs on my bulk though...at least 450-500g a day.
5000-6000 calories on a bulk? How tall are you man?

TheExodu5

Banned
About the insulin thing: who knows. He makes quite a few leaps of logic in his article, and his use of tribe diet anecdotes is hardly conclusive evidence.

One thing is for certain though: carbs are not as satiating as he describes. I can easily eat 1000+ refined carb calories in a single meal...doing that with a high protein meal is not very possible.

I'm primarily a believer in reduced calorie intake. From my experience over the last 5 weeks, it's been much easier reducing my calorie intake by eating meat, fruits, and vegetables, and ignoring sugar, bread, and potatoes. So, in the end, that's what I'll promote. Reducing my carb intake has certainly been a big boon.

ant_

TheExodu5 said:
One thing is for certain though: carbs are not as satiating as he describes. I can easily eat 1000+ refined carb calories in a single meal...doing that with a high protein meal is not very possible.

Satiation depends entirely on the food.

Sure, 1,000 calories of chicken breast is a daunting task.

1,000 calories of pizza? Easy.

1,000 calories of sweet potato? Pretty damn hard.

1,000 calories of peanut butter? Easy (for me, haha)

1,000 calories of almonds? Easy.

1,000 calories of Ice Cream? Heavenly.

The list goes on. Saying one type of food (carbs, protein, or fat) is the "most satiating" doesn't work imo. All depends on the individual food.

TheExodu5 said:
About the insulin thing: who knows. He makes quite a few leaps of logic in his article, and his use of tribe diet anecdotes is hardly conclusive evidence.

I'm primarily a believer in reduced calorie intake. From my experience over the last 5 weeks, it's been much easier reducing my calorie intake by eating meat, fruits, and vegetables, and ignoring sugar, bread, and potatoes. So, in the end, that's what I'll promote. Reducing my carb intake has certainly been a big boon.

Seconded. I ate a shit load a cookies last night and within two hours I was hungry.

Fast forward to this morning I had eggs, sausages, and cheese, and I basically had to force myself to eat my second meal.

I lost weight this summer with a combination of low carb and inadvertent calorie restriction. And for my height and activity level my calorie maintenance in like 2500 cals a day.

Edit: I think it all comes to down people not realizing how much of something they are putting into their bodies. To be honest, I don't know if human nutrition will ever be fully understood.

ant_

DragonKnight said:
Seconded. I ate a shit load a cookies last night and within two hours I was hungry.

Fast forward to this morning I had eggs, sausages, and cheese, and I basically had to force myself to eat my second meal.

I lost weight this summer with a combination of low carb and inadvertent calorie restriction. And for my height and activity level my calorie maintenance in like 2500 cals a day.

By eating low-carb you brought your calories down.
You lost weight by eating less calories. Low-carb may have made it easier, but ultimately it was classic caloric deficit.

K2Valor said:
5000-6000 calories on a bulk? How tall are you man?

6'2. And your reaction proves my point. For my height, the ideal weight is 175 with 153 and 197 being on the high and low ends. Before my bulk I was 157. But I could eat anything and everything and not put on weight. I even started drinking and no weight gain.

K2Valor said:
By eating low-carb you brought your calories down.
You lost weight by eating less calories. Low-carb may have made it easier, but ultimately it was classic caloric deficit.

That's exactly what I meant by inadvertent calorie restriction. Now i'm trying to find out how much I can eat a day to maintain my weight. I'm also cutting my running down to twice a week as I'm only doing it to maintain a really good heart rate (less than 60bpm)

Edit: That's why I don't necessarily agree with the "body is not a closed system sentiment". No shit. In fact, closed systems in nature are a rarity. A calorie deficit is essential to weight loss as a calorie surplus is essential to weight gain. If you're eating a shit ton and not gaining it's because you're only eating at a maintenance level.

ant_

DragonKnight said:
6'2. And your reaction proves my point. For my height, the ideal weight in 175 with 153 and 197 being on the high and low ends. Before my bulk I was 157. But I could eat anything and everything and not put on weight. I even started drinking and no weight gain.
Were you accurately tracking calories/food intake?
What was your estimated maintenance?

You were probably under-eating. Just like overweight people tend to over-eat. You could have gained weight without excessive amounts of carbs (around 250-350g is a little more reasonable).

When you get to the point you want, try it over again but do it right (count calories, find your maintenance & eat 400-500 calories over, etc.)

K2Valor said:
Were you accurately tracking calories/food intake?
What was your estimated maintenance?

You were probably under-eating. Just like overweight people tend to over-eat. You could have gained weight without excessive amounts of carbs (around 250-350g is a little more reasonable).

When you get to the point you want, try it over again but do it right (count calories, find your maintenance & eat 400-500 calories over, etc.)

Trust me when I say that I now know how to bulk the right way but i'm not bulking anymore. I'm right where I wanna be and i'm staying here. And yes I was counting.

Edit: but if i ever change my mind, the way you outlined it is in fact the correct way to go about a bulk. It must be slow, steady, controlled, tracked, and most of all, clean.

ant_

DragonKnight said:
Trust me when I say that I now know how to bulk the right way but i'm not bulking anymore. I'm right where I wanna be and i'm staying here. And yes I was counting.
Sounds good.

btw, super jealous of 5,000 - 6,000 calorie bulk. I would eat Ben & Jerry's every day.

K2Valor said:
Sounds good.

btw, super jealous of 5,000 - 6,000 calorie bulk. I would eat Ben & Jerry's every day.

It wasn't that hard honestly. Breakfast was easily 1000 calories, as was lunch, and dinner. On top of that I was doing GOMAD and taking mass XXX twice a day. So yeah. I definitely was eating way, way too much and it showed. Now I look like Trey Songz (not too big and definitely not small).

Guyenet definitely isn't in the "calories in, calories out" camp. He contends that something is messing with our satiation signaling and our metabolisms, causing us to eat more and accumulate more fat. He's just showing that carbohydrate as a macronutrient isn't the cause.

He also agrees that carb restriction works for many people, especially the obese and diabetic. I know I lost a ton of weight on a low-carb paleo diet. I've since added plenty of starch (white rice, various potato varieties) and have leaned out further. I suspect adding carbs improved my thyroid function and leptin supply.

I personally lean toward excess refined fructose, linoleic acid, and wheat proteins, plus a lack of micronutrients in the diet (minerals, vitamins, and fat soluble vitamins) as the probable nutritional causes. There's also chronic stress, poor sleep habits, not enough low-level movement (we drive rather than walk), and the general fear of sunlight to contend with.

But potatoes and fruit? That doesn't make people fat in the first place, for the most part. It can certainly ravage an already deranged metabolism, though, which is why low-carb works so well for the first big slab of weight loss.

Toki767

I've been thinking about drinking chocolate milk after my workouts since I keep hearing how they help build muscle, but would it be okay to drink it on a low carb diet since I'd imagine it's mostly sugar?

dejay

Banned
Buckethead said:
Yeah.

Only things I drink are Diet 7Up and water so I'll scale back the D7U.

On previous occasions, if I had a stall, I'd eat a double beef whopper for lunch (no mayo, but only because mayo sucks on a burger) and the weight would always start to come off straight away.

dejay said:
On previous occasions, if I had a stall, I'd eat a double beef whopper for lunch (no mayo, but only because mayo sucks on a burger) and the weight would always start to come off straight away.
Are you being serious?

Funny you should say that 1 month into trying to lose some lb.'s, my diet one day consisted entirely of wine, more wine, a cheeseburger, and 2 hot dogs and a little more wine.

(And I still lost weight that week).

Thorndyke

Neo Member
Man, I have had Maccas at work for the third time this week. Today I had KFC for lunch, then Maccas for tea. UGH. I hate that my t-shirts are tight now at the chest level, and not just the stomach. I can feel myself getting double chin. FUCK this shit. This time last year I managed to loose 10 kg, and now I have gained this back and more because I have changed jobs and dont bike to work anymore/ work in a mall where I am to lazy to make my own meals so buy at the food court. Im here, sitting at my computer at work, feeling gluggy and sorry for myself. Then I saw this thread (like i do every week) and maybe if I post updates I can start feeling more accountable. Or at least more motivated to see the changes others have done.

I will not bring my efpos card/cash to work. Not feeling like i can barely move because i have eaten so much is not the same as the feeling of hungry. I think that's one of the biggest things is that I seem to have fallen into a habit of trying to gorge myself, so that I dont have the feeling of hunger. So even if I eat reasonable portions throughout the day, I still don't feel full.

I really need to make sure I have food at home that I can prepare meals, rather then thinking "screw it, i will just buy lunch" and need to get back to the habit of doing my running/biking. I have stopped for a bit because I lost my mp3 player, and I found that really helped me pass the time for excercise. So I need to just get back into regardless. Unfortunately, dont have the funds to buy a new one. Although, assuming i stop buying takeaways.....

Anywho, hopefully I will be able to post before and after pics in a few months.

dejay

Banned
Thorndyke said:
Man, I have had Maccas at work for the third time this week. Today I had KFC for lunch, then Maccas for tea. UGH. I hate that my t-shirts are tight now at the chest level, and not just the stomach. I can feel myself getting double chin. FUCK this shit. This time last year I managed to loose 10 kg, and now I have gained this back and more because I have changed jobs and dont bike to work anymore/ work in a mall where I am to lazy to make my own meals so buy at the food court. Im here, sitting at my computer at work, feeling gluggy and sorry for myself. Then I saw this thread (like i do every week) and maybe if I post updates I can start feeling more accountable. Or at least more motivated to see the changes others have done.

I will not bring my efpos card/cash to work. Not feeling like i can barely move because i have eaten so much is not the same as the feeling of hungry. I think that's one of the biggest things is that I seem to have fallen into a habit of trying to gorge myself, so that I dont have the feeling of hunger. So even if I eat reasonable portions throughout the day, I still don't feel full.

I really need to make sure I have food at home that I can prepare meals, rather then thinking "screw it, i will just buy lunch" and need to get back to the habit of doing my running/biking. I have stopped for a bit because I lost my mp3 player, and I found that really helped me pass the time for excercise. So I need to just get back into regardless. Unfortunately, dont have the funds to buy a new one. Although, assuming i stop buying takeaways.....

Anywho, hopefully I will be able to post before and after pics in a few months.

I get into those slothernly habits too. My arse was getting kicked at work and my excuse was always "I'm too tired". I went from a job where I was pretty active to a desk job, so I got fat and I was eating junk most meals.

However, a good friend of mine, pretty much a hero of mine actually, had a baby just over a year ago. She manages to work full time in a high stress executive job, prepares all her own meals for her family, exercises an hour a day and spends time with her kid. She lost all her pregnancy weight and is fairly fit.

I thought to myself if she can do that with a kid, I can do it too.

My tip - learn to make and love delicious salads and eat them most days for lunch. Learn a variety of them. It literally takes 10 minutes to chop up some vegies and whatever else you want to throw in in the morning. You can roast some pumpkin cubes in the oven to last a week. I've been cooking a shit load of chicken wings in the oven to last me the week. They're much tastier and cheaper than the salads you can buy at the food court. Make your own vinaigrette dressing. I used to hate salads, but I was bought up with basic garden salads and crappy 90% lettuce salads you buy from the shops. They can, in fact, be awesome. Who knew?

Regardless of your approach, once you get a lot of that sugar and sodium out of your diet your palate will change and you'll appreciate more natural flavours and textures. "Proper food", as Jamie Oliver would describe it, is far superior in every way. Saying that, I did lose 20kg once and I was eating Maccas every night (a cheeseburger and a Magnum ice cream was my usual dinner).

Good luck!

Price Dalton said:
I personally lean toward excess refined fructose, linoleic acid, and wheat proteins, plus a lack of micronutrients in the diet (minerals, vitamins, and fat soluble vitamins) as the probable nutritional causes. There's also chronic stress, poor sleep habits, not enough low-level movement (we drive rather than walk), and the general fear of sunlight to contend with.

But potatoes and fruit? That doesn't make people fat in the first place, for the most part. It can certainly ravage an already deranged metabolism, though, which is why low-carb works so well for the first big slab of weight loss.

From my recent experience, I would tend to agree with a lot of this. I would go on to suggest that, despite the assertion that man has eaten a "paleo diet" for 99.5% of his existence, it doesn't take that many generations for natural selection to have perhaps given some groups of people the ability to consume and metabolise carbohydrates safely. Perhaps some people are predisposed to be carbophobic and some carbophilic.

Anyhoo, after two days back on carbs I'm in much better shape. I had a Coke yesterday to kick myself out of ketosis, but I think I was still in it last night - had some funky dreams and a real stinky early morning piss, where usually the amount I drank would have resulted in an almost clear stream. One epic dream was about bush fires and zombies, so I enjoyed it. Today I just had a bowl of muesli and some fruit, as well as some milk after my workout. I think that's a pretty good balance - around 100g of low GI carbs. Time will tell.

SeanR1221

That link was really interesting. I briefly read through it, and will have to go over the whole thing tomorrow.

I still stick by sugar and HFCS are the enemies.

SeanR1221 said:
That link was really interesting. I briefly read through it, and will have to go over the whole thing tomorrow.

I still stick by sugar and HFCS are the enemies.

They are a big part of the problem.
So is corn being a "grain and a vegetable".
And the government telling people they need more bread than any other food groups.

ant_

AceBandage said:
They are a big part of the problem.
So is corn being a "grain and a vegetable".
And the government telling people they need more bread than any other food groups.
I will never go this route. It's not the governments fault, it's not a manufacturer's fault, it's not McDonalds fault. People themselves are solely responsible for what they eat. One can eat McDonalds in a smart way and lose weight. I can drink soda and lose weight. Or you could do the same and gain muscle mass.

It's the individual who fails in moderation (or at least that's what I failed at - I used to eat a LOT)

Why should the government make any recommendation one way or the other? Tax dollars (not mine) fund that "my plate" nonsense.
Stay out of it government. Let the people decide. Let Taubes write his book. Let his critics challenge him. Let McDonalds sell whatever the hell they want (just tell us what's in it). This science is on the outer rim of something cool. Looking forward to seeing what comes next.

Food reward is associated with what? Carbohydrate rich foods. Chips, donuts, french fries, pop, orange juice, chocolate bars, huge bowls of cereal, big bales of hay. They don't fill me up, my brain doesn't tell me to stop eating until I've gone to far. If I had one of those bowls that "slowly empty" through a secret trap door to another dimension I would eat potato chips til I died.
Is there a food reward with steak or bacon? No. Food reward is made by scientists in a lab, and marketing departments, and cute little rats in Pixar movies with their little rat feet scurrying around a kitchen.

I never really had a weight problem in the BMI sense (skinny-with-belly).

A labrador retriever will eat til it pukes.

I don't know why I'm here.

And now I'm spent.

I found a great way of mixing both carbs and protein/fats.
I was reheating some of last nights salmon (so good) and I used the "popcorn" button on the microwave. Carbs good? carbs bad?
Doesn't matter.
I win

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Toki767 said:
I've been thinking about drinking chocolate milk after my workouts since I keep hearing how they help build muscle, but would it be okay to drink it on a low carb diet since I'd imagine it's mostly sugar?

Yeah you can still do it. I take two cups of chocolate malt milk after my workout three days a week. At the end of those days, I still end up around 70g of carbs. On rest days, I'm anywhere from 0-25g.

Is the whole reward-food thing based on people eating too much food without really knowing? I'm kinda confused with the articles by Stephan Guyenet.

Akim

Banned
So, I pretty much completely fell off the wagon. Went from 185 to 200. I blame a new girlfriend, but whatever, my fault. Back on as of yesterday. More motivated than ever.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Posted this in the running thread but wanted to post here too.

Did my last run in week 4 of couch to 5K and was able to push at the end and I feel fantastic right now.

Also took some pics of ISU's Big XII cross country course where I am running now that I moved. Nice course, beautiful day too.

Here is the longest route they have. Did this Wednesday and made 1 lap in 30 minutes on my couch to 5k run/walk session.

IMG_20110812_173603.jpg

Here are a few shots of the front part of the course.

IMG_20110812_173359.jpg

IMG_20110812_173409.jpg

ant_

AntiTout said:
Avoiding any kind of fat/cheese? Then, of course moderation is your best friend, but I prefer to avoid these kind of 'unhealty/dangerous' food.
Why is cheese unhealthy/dangerous?

Toki767 said:
Would you guys recommend flaxseed oil pills over fish oil pills?

I think by taking flaxseed oil you are not getting all the benefits of flaxseed. I do eat fish and take cod liver oil, but I also often eat flaxseed in muffins.

K2Valor said:
Why is cheese unhealthy/dangerous?

Co-worker today caught me eating a cheese string:
"Cheesestring? My kid eats those... whatareyou, like 4? Jesus, you just stuff the whole thing in your mouth?"
I couldn't respond, as my mouth was full of cheese.

Dangerous? Not really. But it brought me closer to a fellow co-worker, and THAT COULD GET SCARY.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Buckethead said:
Are you being serious?

Funny you should say that 1 month into trying to lose some lb.'s, my diet one day consisted entirely of wine, more wine, a cheeseburger, and 2 hot dogs and a little more wine.

(And I still lost weight that week).

That's a diet I can get behind!

omgkitty

Ugh fucked up tonight. Thought I was going out to a bar tonight where I was going to drink a couple of beers and have some bratwurst. Not too bad for the diet. Instead I ended up going back to my friends house, where a guy brought some imported european chocolate, and I ate way too much of it. I did only have one beer, but looking back now, I'd rather I had drank more beer. All that damn sugar!

Einbroch

Banned
omgkitty said:
Ugh fucked up tonight. Thought I was going out to a bar tonight where I was going to drink a couple of beers and have some bratwurst. Not too bad for the diet. Instead I ended up going back to my friends house, where a guy brought some imported european chocolate, and I ate way too much of it. I did only have one beer, but looking back now, I'd rather I had drank more beer. All that damn sugar!
Eh, shit happens. Enjoy life. Just don't cheat again for a while and it's not that big a deal.

Top Bottom