• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Tribes of Trusty said:
Hey GAF, I've always wondered, what do you think of the 100 pushups program ?

No idea what it is, but being able to do 100 pushups is certainly better than not being able to do so!

I'm a big supporter of strength training using your own body weight.

Man, my body really doesn't want to give up that UNDER 200LBS achievement. I've been really watching my food intake carefully and working out pretty hard every day but I'm still stuck between 201-203 for the past couple of weeks. Frustrating!

omgkitty

Gary Whitta said:
Man, my body really doesn't want to give up that UNDER 200LBS achievement. I've been really watching my food intake carefully and working out pretty hard every day but I'm still stuck between 201-203 for the past couple of weeks. Frustrating!

Chances are you have just been gaining muscle from working out and your weight hasn't dropped any because of it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Mr. Serious Business said:
It's essentially a strength-based version of the Couch to 5k program: You go from being out of shape to being able to do 100 consecutive pushups in 6 weeks. I might try it myself.

Cool, that fits perfectly with my Couch to 5K schedule, may start doing it after my run. At least until I start P90x this fall again.

Dead

well not really...yet
For you other low-carbers, whats the latest you allow yourself to eat dinner?

im thinking some nights im going to have start eating dinner as early as 6 as otherwise I wont be able to until 10:30 or even 12.

Mr. Serious Business said:
It's essentially a strength-based version of the Couch to 5k program: You go from being out of shape to being able to do 100 consecutive pushups in 6 weeks. I might try it myself.

i have the iphone version of it (linked on that page) and the 200 situp one by the same people. im doing them on the days im not doing couch to 5k (which i finish tomorrow and start a 10k program on monday). ive seen pretty good gains from the push up one. im prob doing good on the situp one but there is much more fat covering my stomach (im about 20 pounds overweight right now) then chest.

in fact since im happy with the progress from the pushups im buying a small/cheap dumbbell set tomorrow to work my arms. the only downside is i dont know if there is an app that tells you how much to do. one good thing about the pushup/situp apps are you do a test and then it takes that and gives you how many you should do that work out and it keeps increasing with each workout and then every two weeks it gives you another test to see where you are and gives you the proper amount to do. with my upcoming arm workouts i wont have that.

Zoe

goldenticket said:
ive seen pretty good gains from the push up one. im prob doing good on the situp one but there is much more fat covering my stomach (im about 20 pounds overweight right now) then chest.

Push-ups and especially sit-ups are not gonna make you lose fat in those areas.

Schlep

Not necessarily spot reduction, but you will benefit early on from doing push-ups, crunches, etc if you've got a gut. Strengthening those muscles will give somewhat of an equivalent to 'sucking it in'. No magical stomach fat loss, though.

LocoMrPollock said:
So does stevia not have an affect on insulin levels? Why is it preferred over aspartame and splenda?
Apparently it has almost no effect on blood sugar. It's tasty and natural, which is why many prefer it over artificial sweeteners.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Gary Whitta said:
Apparently it has almost no effect on blood sugar. It's tasty and natural, which is why many prefer it over artificial sweeteners.

It obviously doesn't raise blood sugar, but I remember a study that showed it provoked an insulin response in rats by apparently tricking their brains into thinking that their blood sugar had risen.

I don't know if any tests have been performed on humans, though.

I avoid it.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Dead said:
For you other low-carbers, whats the latest you allow yourself to eat dinner?

im thinking some nights im going to have start eating dinner as early as 6 as otherwise I wont be able to until 10:30 or even 12.
Meal timing is irrelevant. Eat right before bed if you want to.

Planning on having a cheat day tomorrow, not going carb-crazy or anything but I did get a couple of little treats for myself that I haven't had in ages. Kinda hoping it might rattle my system a bit and help jump-start my stalled weight loss but in reality I'll probably just put on a couple of pounds like the last time I gorged :/

Einbroch

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
Planning on having a cheat day tomorrow, not going carb-crazy or anything but I did get a couple of little treats for myself that I haven't had in ages. Kinda hoping it might rattle my system a bit and help jump-start my stalled weight loss but in reality I'll probably just put on a couple of pounds like the last time I gorged :/
Cheat meals, at least for me, really kick start my weight loss after a stall. I'll have a load of sushi or a few burgers and some fries and then continue to diet for a week or so, then cheat again.

Works for me.

Anyone else eat coconut oil right out of the container?
Shit that stuff is good, and it literally melts in your mouth. I wish it wasn't so expensive (unrefined virgin oil).

NomarTyme

Zefah said:
No idea. I've never measured my cholesterol. I probably should get it checked one day.
LOL I been procrastinating this shit too. I planning to use direct lab since I don't have insurance.

ipukespiders said:
Anyone else eat coconut oil right out of the container?
Shit that stuff is good, and it literally melts in your mouth. I wish it wasn't so expensive (unrefined virgin oil).

Makes me gag, so I had to add water.

Ripclawe

Banned
manwich sloppy joe sauce ... I didn't realize it didn't have fat..

Osgf3.png

Since the thread is 180 pages and it would take forever to go through I was wondering if anyone remembers pics posted showing a chubby/flabby guy who got cut? I'm worried about after losing this 5-10 lbs on my belly that I'll have loose skin or something.

Ripclawe said:
manwich sloppy joe sauce ... I didn't realize it didn't have fat..

Osgf3.png

Well, yeah.
Most sauces are just sugar water with some spices in it.

Heavy said:
Since the thread is 180 pages and it would take forever to go through I was wondering if anyone remembers pics posted showing a chubby/flabby guy who got cut? I'm worried about after losing this 5-10 lbs on my belly that I'll have loose skin or something.

You shouldn't have loose skin from 5-10 pounds.
Just do some toning exercises.

AceBandage said:
You shouldn't have loose skin from 5-10 pounds.
Just do some toning exercises.
If I bend over and grab as much of my belly as I can with my fingers (as if they were fat calipers) I can grab like 3 inches of fat (goes up to like 3/4 down my middle finger). How many lbs you think that is?

noire said:
Mine has been liquified since IBbrought it home from whole foods. Do you keep it refrigerated?

No, but household temp here only gets up to around 25 celcius max. If temps are higher at your place, it will liquify. I do notice it has been a little softer these past few days with higher temps.

So my new job has me working some very obscure hours. To summarize it; there are some nights where I'll be getting very little sleep (around 4 hours).

I've heard that not getting enough sleep can cause you to gain weight. On the plus side, this new job has me making rounds on foot for an added total of about 5 hours.

Is the good going to outweigh the bad here?

SuperAngelo64 said:
So my new job has me working some very obscure hours. To summarize it; there are some nights where I'll be getting very little sleep (around 4 hours).

I've heard that not getting enough sleep can cause you to gain weight. On the plus side, this new job has me making rounds on foot for an added total of about 5 hours.

Is the good going to outweigh the bad here?

Your body definitely needs more than 4 hours of sleep.
But you don't need it all at once necessarily. Can you try and get in like a 4 hour nap or something?

dejay

Banned
Thought I'd update my progress after abandoning very low carb.

To be straight, I'm still on what most people would class as low carb. I basically try and eat as few carbs as possible, geared towards the morning, that will keep the "induction flu" symptoms at bay. This means a small bowl of muesli and milk in the morning and a couple of pieces of fruit during the day. This is around 120-150g of carbs. I'll eat high protein lunches and dinners and they'll vary in fat content from lean (turkey breast) to fatty (pork chops with all the fat left on or chicken wings) as well plenty of low carb veg.

5 days of the week I'll do about 30-40 minutes of medium intensity cardio in the afternoon and doing strength training (using body weight) about four days a week. I believe this depletes most of the remaining blood sugar in my system, so my insulin would be relatively low for a western diet. On two days I've had the symptoms of induction flu come back around 10am - on these occasions I've had a cheeseburger from McDonalds for lunch and that fixes me up within 20 minutes. I believe I'm probably eating a similar diet now to what Tom Naughton ate in Fat Head (except less fast food). For me this seems to work well.

In six-ish weeks I've lost what I believe to be 10-12kg in fat and put on maybe 2-4kg of muscle - I've lost a total of 8kg, but my clothing tells me I'm much thinner than 8kg of just fat loss would indicate. I've gone down four belt holes. Actually I'm using belts that I haven't used in a couple of years because the fat belt I bought is now too big. My pants I bought for work last year are quite baggy and bunched up around the waist because my belt is so tight. I'm not quite ready to fit into my slim clothes, so I'm kinda in the middle at the moment. I do have some old tops that fit really well now, so it's nice to walk around in certain clothes without my man boobs or my spare tire being as evident. My spare tire is always the last thing to go - the rest of my upper body is looking pretty good. My quadriceps are quite solid with muscle as I've been working them a lot. I view them as the basis of my exercise/calorie consumption machine :)

Below is my progress to date. I didn't log the first two or so weeks of the program, this shows me a few weeks in - you can extraploate the first week here backwards as the numbers seem to add up to that. I know daily weigh-ins are pointless, but they're kinda fun too!
O605d.gif

1 - indicates start of VLC - inducing ketosis, followed by a steady loss of water weight then a sudden regaining of a Kg in the space of a day.
2 - indicates when I stopped VLC. I mainly stopped because induction flu was making my brain too fuzzy, I was nearly passing out during work and driving (not good) and my thigh muscles were too sore to exercise properly.
3 - inidicates a BIG night out - with lots of beer and carbs. I had pretty much recovered from induction flu at this point so I was able to start exercising properly again.

(edit) Cooking tip - splashing a small dash of soy sauce on top of a nicely seared pork chop is amazingly good. Add some bok choy and other steamed veggies for a mouthgasm.

dejay

Banned
noire said:
150 carb is low? Today was my cheat day and I'm at approximately 170.

Feel pretty guilty though. 2 slices of pizza, a beer an a piece of chocolate mousse cake.

Back to it tomorrow.

It's relatively low, compared to the recommended amount, and it's low enough for me to slip over into ketosis now and then, considering how much I burn off.

harSon

Banned
Maybe it's because I'm only 6-7 weeks into my diet, but I really have no urge to cheat on my diet in any significant way. Even when they're within reaching distance, I don't have any cravings for carbs or sweets.

JetBlackPanda said:
Do you guys have some recommendations for low carb protein shakes? I remember someone said they liked mint chocolate.

thanks
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard is my new shake of choice.

I've had the Double Rich Chocolate and Delicious Strawberry and like them both a lot. The ON strawberry isn't nearly as medicine-ish as most of the other strawberry shakes I've had.

Top Bottom